Eternal Lands Official Forums
kibora

Rotating minimap

It looks great :)

You need to

FEATURES += MINIMAP2

in make.conf or you won't see it.

Warning - don't try and zoom out with the scroll wheel or you'll walk to wherever the mouse was over when you scrolled.

bug report - if you click to go somewhere on the normal map that is out of range the X gets displayed outside of the round window

Warning - don't try and zoom out with the scroll wheel or you'll walk to wherever the mouse was over when you scrolled.

Fixed

bug report - if you click to go somewhere on the normal map that is out of range the X gets displayed outside of the round window

I believe i fixed it but since i cannot reproduce it on windows i am not sure

Okay i fixed that destination thingy. It existed only when the frame buffer was off.

Also fixed the transparency problem with the texture. Basicly when the texture is loaded the backgrond is now set with alpha 0.

One thing that seems a problem is that the map doesn't look very good on the largest maps (ws etc.) because of the zoom level. Perhaps it would look better if the map bitmap is larger

wsic7.th.jpg

As for the smaller maps everything seems ok

ncvm9.th.jpg

One thing that seems a problem is that the map doesn't look very good on the largest maps (ws etc.) because of the zoom level. Perhaps it would look better if the map bitmap is larger

Well, there is a source of high quality maps *cough* *R* *cough*, I don't know about how big the bitmap can be "in one piece", maybe large maps like WS and Ida need their maps split into 4 tiles.

I really like the round minimap! :P

This is how WoW aligns the controls around the map:

http://img201.exs.cx/img201/2291/wowscrnsh...051535533jm.jpg

Maybe that's a good use for bluap's great popup menu: the zoom level. One button which opens a popup with all available zoom levels, one button with all other control features the minimap has.

Guest ganja

I backported most of usable mismatched patches. nNow im working with brother on minimap2. He changed some routines, now leftclick on map is send working like theres no minimap(will be usable witch transparent), and rightclick is working only in circle. He did pretty nice texture for compass(i wasnt knowing that theres any), and changed stupid r=g=b blending routine. But we want to render compass as another rotating object(to allow non round compass textures) and another one static picture with glass effect(its nicer to not rotate). For now it looks like that:

elscreen005et0.th.png

(for mods/admins[that generally dont likes me ;]: screenshot was taken on testserver)

After moday exam i will probably hack more on it. I want also to redesign interface, and put nicer textures(i hate graphics, so its dependand on my bro), im also not good in programming, but it will be nice to have something like enlightenment17 default theme but more wooden-gold, and customizable like it. One of the worst things in interface is probably terminal, wheres no good autocompletion, no cursor positioning by arrow-cursor-keys, anbd generally it works liike crap comparing it with anything running bash, but its to diffucult for me. When we will finfish this minimap, we will publish it somewhere(good question, where ? mailing list is for patches only).

Edited by ganja

What are the size dimensions for the texture it needs? Once it's in the cvs and usable I can work on that.

I definitely agree! :)

With the #compass_north option being removed suddenly between two of the RC's of v1.6.0, I look forward to having the rotating minimap even more!

Awesome job, Kibora! :)

(The compass works counterintuitively for me now; the arrow doesn't get attracted by magnetic north anymore, but it's pointing into the direction you're facing. With the compass scale rotating instead of a needle, like it does with the rotating minimap, the north always points to the north of the map.)

So if I can make a few suggestions:

• Can the hud compass also be changed to a rotating scale compass?
  • And then, is it possible to make the hud compass the "minimized version" of the minimap?
    (Not necessarily with a real mini-minimap inside the compass scale; I'm not sure if it would still look good that small.)
    So, let the minimap minimize to the hud instead of disappear when you "close" it.
    When the rotating minimap is shown, a hud compass isn't really needed.
    It would free up some space in the hud when the minimap is up.

(Might need some configurable settings to still have an "arrow compass".

And some possibility to have the hud compass always or never show, or only when minimizing the minimap.)

i'm not a computer person but how do i download it?

It doesn't take a computer person to be able to read some posts here and figure out that you don't download it-you wait until the next client update.

What are the size dimensions for the texture it needs? Once it's in the cvs and usable I can work on that.

I downloaded kibora's image at the top of this thread, converted it to a 256 x 256 x 8 format bmp file and saved it to textures/compass.bmp.

I've also updated the original patch on Berlios so that it applies and compiles cleanly against the latest CVS.

Ok I'll take that one and modify it a bit then.

I compiled with minimap2 but I don't see it...is it not in the cvs yet or something?

I compiled with minimap2 but I don't see it...is it not in the cvs yet or something?

As I understood it, there's more work to do so I was just having a quick look. I had to change a few things to get it to build so I thought I'd update the patch; I did not commit that to CVS yesterday. However, as people seem very keen to have it in CVS and as it is a very clean patch in terms #define wrapping I'll commit now.

I'm not adopting this patch particularly as I may not be able to work on it much in the near future. So if someone else wants to pick it up, feel free :icon13:

Edited by bluap

Hm, yeah it needs some updating yet :P

Put the controls on that bar up top. The bar looks silly there by itself with nothing on it anyway. Also is it just me or does it look too big?

A couple things:

1. The compass_direction variable could be completely removed. It has been removed from the elc code some time ago.

2. The size is the same as of the original minimap.

3. If you want to add zoom in/out buttons again you have to modify the minimap_tiles_distance variable. Although considering the maps in EL are relatively small, it doesn't look very good if you zoom out and see "outside the map". As for the other buttons from the old minimap, they wouldn't make any sense on this one

1. Well the map looks bad zoomed in the way it is now, it can't stay like that. So either it needs a fixed zoom level that looks good, or you need the buttons to zoom in/out.

2. The size of it is big, I thought it would be smaller. I don't see the point in having a circular minimap that takes up almost as much space as the rectangular one did, and having less controls(except for the fact it rotates).

3. Putting the controls there probably would make it more rectangular, again defeating the smaller size purpose..unless they could be placed around the circle somehow.

The zoom looks okay if the used maps are with better resolution (for example Bloodsucker's high resolution maps). The current zoom is chosen so you can see at about 2x the maximum visibile range

Well if we change the map resolution to 1024(which from what I know isn't even supported), we'll be tripling the size of all those files-and there are a LOT of them. So that's not going to happen..unless smaller files such as jpg's could be used.

larger maps are supported by the client, try the *R* high res pack. Also the client supports gzip compression, so all maps can be packed (elm files too, textures, models, ...)

Oh ok, I guess it's just other large texture sizes that aren't supported. Still I'd have to redo all the maps for them be of any use at a larger size..not gonna happen soon :P (and no, we won't be using guild maps or changing the maps to look like guildmaps.)

Submited a patch, which allows to easily resize the map

http://developer.berlios.de/patch/index.ph...p;group_id=1256

Modify the minimap_size_coefficient variable to change the size.

minimap_size_coefficient = 1.0f means size 256

minimap_size_coefficient = 0.5f means size 128

etc.

About zooming buttons would be better to first have the compass textures with the positions of the buttons