Eternal Lands Official Forums
umbrena

Making libraries more used

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, I searched and haven't found it earlier.

I was thinking that for instance, libraries (like PL library for instance) could be used, to actually go and study a book.

What I mean by this is, go to the library select a book from a list, research it for 5-15 minutes (with maybe a 500gc fee) depending on the original length of the book, and the player has the knowledge for the rest of that EL day.

Of course, if it's something like hydro mining, armor building etc, having the nexus prior (recommended levels too)is the individuals commitment and responsibility.

I just kind of like the idea of actually going to a library, and loaning the knowledge for a predetermined amount of time.

1000 or 2000?

That should depend on the book. Also the price should not be too high, otherwise, it would be better to go and buy the book for good.

I am going against the grain. I don't like it. I feel that is what No Knowledege days are for. I have spent some serious gc on books and had to read them for hours and don't like the idea that some could pay a nominal fee and read for minutes and have the same knowledge.

I havent heard of it yet, but i love the idea, i just think a 500gc fee is quite cheap.. maybe a bit more? 1000 or 2000?

Why not make it 10% of the book price.. no point spending 2k to read a 500gc book

well what book costs 500gc that youd want to hurry up and read, and to even spend gc to be able to use the knowledge early?

i see no point in that, no point in buying leather helm const to make helms earlier.., only for exp. but i feel you want the exp? you pay a price.

I am going against the grain. I don't like it. I feel that is what No Knowledege days are for. I have spent some serious gc on books and had to read them for hours and don't like the idea that some could pay a nominal fee and read for minutes and have the same knowledge.

Well I find it different from Knowledge day, since it's not ALL books, but the ones you pay to read.

Well as do i, but think of the newcomers to eternal lands? Updates arent meant to fit to All existing players, or players that have been here for years.

Its for the overall outcome of the game.

I don't like it, I have read most books.

sure, and if u wouldnt have read all books u would like it.

lol dumb answer, judge the idea generally and not by how many books u've read.

hmmm maybe to make it fare for all those who have read the books , the knowledge should only stay with you while you remain in the library ( this would work as needing to have the book at hand to refer to). So if you want to make items you need to take them with you to the library

Err, changes to the game are not meant to make it "fair" for people who already did things, its about improving the game. There have been plenty of changes to perks, attributes, nexuses that made people forced to reset in past.

anyway, I like the idea.

Good idea, but some books should only be available in certain libraries.

Like a "mining" library, where you can read some mining books very fast without prerequesite for a fee?

And so on for a crafting/fighting/alching/potioning/whatever library?

Sounds good, if the fee to read the books and then have the knowledge for one in game day is high enough, that the players must decide if they want to use the library and pay the fee or buy the book and read it regulary to have the permanent knowledge, is well balanced.

Then players have to decide, if they buy and read the book once or use the library and pay the fee everytime they need that knowledge.

Sounds somehow interesting IMO.

Piper

A good idea! The price should be a certain percent of the book, maybe more than 10% so there's more incentive to actually buy the book. I also agree that only certain books should be able to be read at certain libraries. :devlish:

The idea sounds pretty good as is, but here's another variation on that theme:

You go to a library, and "check out" the desired book. Have both public (no fee) libraries (with a very limited selection, of course) and private (fee based) libraries (which could specialize in a particular skill).

Once you check out the book (no reading time), you have access to the associated knowledge... but with a substantial negative to the associated skill level when using that knowledge. The rational behind this is that you aren't working from your own knowledge, but have to keep consulting the book while working.

The penalty puts some practical limits on how people can use these books - no use checking out that "S2E of Fire" book if your manufacturing skill minus the penalty is too low to have any real chance of making one. The penalty should be variable depending on the book - a percentage of the recommended skill level for using that knowledge (25% ?)

And if you're thinking "that would still be too easy" - while using the knowledge associated with the book, there is a very small chance that the book will be destroyed (After all, if you have the book sitting there open on your workbench, an accident is always possible). In which case you would not be allowed to check out any other books at that library until you provided the library with a replacement. Which could get expensive...

And one other limiter - while you have a book checked out, your normal research freezes until you return the checked-out book to the library (though if the book is destroyed, research would start up again).

This type of implementation would create risks for using the libraries (there are no risks with the original idea, just clearly defined costs), but I think there are still enough benefits that people would still do so.

The idea sounds pretty good as is, but here's another variation on that theme:
To complex, to many negatives. I'd just wait for a no-knowledge #day.

Knowledge is something you gain and retain, not something you rent per hours. You could think of renting tools such as alembics, vial molds, etc. but knowledge ? Looks weird to me.

Typical. Didn't expect anything else.

I like this idea. There's only one 'but' here. Some books should never be available in libraries. I mean here some very rare books - like special swords ones (and similar).

Typical. Didn't expect anything else.

I know, it's why I posted it. :devlish:

Well, I'll tell what I think the problem is :

For the old skills do you need to read some books before you can read the book that allow you to make an item.

For HE do you need to read :

Book of Biochemistry

Book of Botanics

Book of Advanced Alchemy

Book of Health Essence

For the new skills like engeneering and tailoring do you only need to read 1 book to make the items.

And the books are much more expensive and take a lot of time to read.

So if you want to level a skill like tailoring could you just buy a lot of looms and thread, go to the library and get the knowledge and make fabric for the rest of your EL life.

You would get good levels and next you could do the same with all other items you wanted to make.

You could wait for scholars day or joule day.

So too easy to level in the new skills.

Edited by Zamirah

Knowledge is something you gain and retain, not something you rent per hours. You could think of renting tools such as alembics, vial molds, etc. but knowledge ? Looks weird to me.

Remember, this *is* a fantasy game. So instead of books, have "Crystals of Knowledge" that give you access to the knowledge, but only as long as you have the crystal. Or a "Spell of Knowing" that grants the knowledge until the spell fades. Such gimmicks are hardly unheard of in the fantasy genre...

Nice idea problem would be you still need the nexus....

Now make this that for certain books - you 'rent' it and whilst you have the book - you can make the item regardless of nexus.

This I can see of a real benefit - but it would have to be restricted to certain books.

I for one would use this - I am embarrassed by my low crafting lvl - but am never going to spend a pp on the required nexus.

Nice idea problem would be you still need the nexus....

Now make this that for certain books - you 'rent' it and whilst you have the book - you can make the item regardless of nexus.

That would be too easy. I like the book renting idea, but ONLY FOR BOOKS FROM NPCs, NOT DROP BOOKS WHATSOEVER. And you would still need the nexus, which sounds fair enough to me.