Eternal Lands Official Forums
korrode

Multiplay on the main server

Multiplay on the main server  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like multiplay (interacting with alts) to be allowed on the main server?

• Yes
    • No

NO MULITPLAY! If there was multi play I would make 3 alts for hydro/seri/wolf ....Horid idea :D

Also not to sound mean, but did you really think this option hasn't come up in discussion before? *sighs*

:omg: true - should've thought that it was already discussed, sorry

But i think there should be a way for 2 people to play from the same household without having to get multiple IP addresses.

Well obviously. Anybody can say this and everybody does. The problem is HOW. If it were this simple, it would be done already. :omg:

The client could transmitt network card's MAC address info to the server. That would allow to distinguish between two or more computers sharing same IP address

Transmitting network card MAC does not make sense ... It's trivial to change the source code to generate some random MAC address each time you connect ...

But i think there should be a way for 2 people to play from the same household without having to get multiple IP addresses.

Well obviously. Anybody can say this and everybody does. The problem is HOW. If it were this simple, it would be done already. :omg:

The client could transmitt network card's MAC address info to the server. That would allow to distinguish between two or more computers sharing same IP address

Also, some methods of connection (such as modem) don't have MAC address. MAC is at the ethernet adapter level.

But even then as stated by others, illegal multi doesn't require that myulti chars are logged in at the same time, or that the same computer be used. The issue is how do you know WHO is on the players with an OSS client?

My vote is for NO.

this is an issue similar to one that came up when I first started playing, IIRC - people asked for a change in the rules as they were, which allowed for the present situation that you can have alt chars or other family members online, but two chars controlled by the same person must never interact.

I seem to remember a thread at one time that allowed people to declare that they were two real players on one connection - maybe there is a way to create something similar again?

At some point, we value a bit of freedom in this game, but there are people who seek to abuse that... if we allow multiplay on the main server, we can surely make an easier job for the mods - but then again, it'll get a lot easier when people stop playing because they realize they can't compete.

I seem to remember a thread at one time that allowed people to declare that they were two real players on one connection - maybe there is a way to create something similar again?

That was abused as badly as the rule is. No point to it, people lied like crazy on it.

Absolutely not.

I think it's great, and appropriate, for the pk server, but I think that it would hurt playership on the main server- you'd have less characters, and far less players.

scaf

I think multiplay would be great for a lot of reasons but obviously the bad apples ruin a lot of stuff for everyone else. I would appreciate it though if fairness was dropped out of this discussion. The appreciation for a level playing field in EL is very limited. Everyone keeps saying people who could afford better systems would have an advantage if multiplay is allowed.

You may not have noticed but people who have enough money to have uber systems already have advantages compared to everyone else. People with RL money can buy tons of stuff and either use it or resell it. They can use it to level their characters and they can use it to their advantage fighting etc... Certain guilds already have advantages over others because of client development. People who make approved improvements in the client do not have to share them either. Please don't cry about fair play when you say multiplay is not a good thing. There are simply too many ways to have advantages in game that have nothing to do with multiplay and they are all legal.

I think that the main concern for multiplay is how some of the new secrets work and the way it would impact the perk system. We can't regulate multiplay and the ability to abuse multiplay keeps growing as the game grows. I voted no but I really wish multiplay could work on EL since I don't object to people using their RL money to get stuff in game. They earned that money and if Entropy wants to let them use it and it supports the game then more power to them. :icon13: I feel everyone should be on board with that. That being said multiplay can now be used to circumvent some special areas in game and that on top of what the 'army makers' could do make multiplay definitely unwise in EL. :wub:

Tirun

Well obviously. Anybody can say this and everybody does. The problem is HOW. If it were this simple, it would be done already. :closedeyes:

Lets break down why running 20 instances of EL would give you an advantage. The only thing i can put my finger on is harvesting is essentially a bunch of waiting and very little clicking. Having 20 clients open would not help mix things any faster. It defiantly would not be practical for training combat on multiple clients. Sure you could have a mule haul you supplies to a spawn but a guildie could just as easily do the same thing. I believe there is a report feature if this troubles you that much.

So the logical choice is eliminate the harvesting skill. Make players buy all their raw materials from NPC contractors. That would add the money sink that people think is missing, and make multiplying impractical.

Lets break down why running 20 instances of EL would give you an advantage. The only thing i can put my finger on is harvesting is essentially a bunch of waiting and very little clicking. Having 20 clients open would not help mix things any faster. It defiantly would not be practical for training combat on multiple clients. Sure you could have a mule haul you supplies to a spawn but a guildie could just as easily do the same thing.

Using a guildie to mule is ok because this is good for player interaction while multplaying is bad for player interaction.

Also there are some negative perks like antisocial or harvester of sorrow which are not so negative if you have an alt who can buy at NPCs or harvest for your neg perked main.

Sure you could have a mule haul you supplies to a spawn but a guildie could just as easily do the same thing.

you have guildies who would be happy to spend all day everyday harvesting/making you essences/muling them to you for free??? :closedeyes:

i think if i asked for mine to do that, the response would go straight to the swearing thread :confused:

You may not have noticed but people who have enough money to have uber systems already have advantages compared to everyone else. People with RL money can buy tons of stuff and either use it or resell it. They can use it to level their characters and they can use it to their advantage fighting etc...

You may not have noticed but ppl pay for those advantages hard cash to the devs, which helps to run eL :closedeyes:

Voted no even with four people playing from the same IP.

My husband introduced me to the game, and now our kids play too. They get help from me by directing them to the right places and players to get what they need, but they have to earn their way just like any other player. This way they can benefit without any multiplay issues. I know a lot of couples playing this game without any trouble too. To have an alt is also not a problem, as long as they dont interact with the main. It is the people that abuse the system that make our lives difficult and allowing multiplay unconditionally just would make that problem a lot worse.

I think multiplay would be great for a lot of reasons but obviously the bad apples ruin a lot of stuff for everyone else.

You know, Tirun, where you live, are a lot of "bad apples". Did you stop playing "teh game", aka by committing suicide in RL? I guess, no, you are bloody annoyed maybe but you live with it.

Same where i live. The authorities just caught a good load of cheaters/"bad apples" who are not willing to pay taxes. Do i stop to play the game coz of them? No,i live with them and laugh at them now.

Same with playing EL. Are you/players annoyed about so called cheaters or are you just envious?

I would appreciate it though if fairness was dropped out of this discussion. The appreciation for a level playing field in EL is very limited. Everyone keeps saying people who could afford better systems would have an advantage if multiplay is allowed.

You may not have noticed but people who have enough money to have uber systems already have advantages compared to everyone else. People with RL money can buy tons of stuff and either use it or resell it.

Please don't cry about fair play when you say multiplay is not a good thing. There are simply too many ways to have advantages in game that have nothing to do with multiplay and they are all legal.

Yeah, and some ppl are even more smart than others are.

Ppl with money can buy stuff from the store and sell it in game to make cash, ppl with money might have a better comp than yours and a better internet connection than yours and might be able to run more clients at once than you.

Life is not fair.

There might be hundreds of thousands kids in africa, who dont even know what a computer is and never will be able to play EL, how fair is that?

Life is not fair.

You might even have a credit card and the most powerful comp and pwnz0rs everybody (in your dreams), but some ppl are more smart than you and pwnz0r you or scam you or trick you and win. Even without money or an über comp.

Life is not fair.

And so is EL.

Unfair.

If a clever n00b is able to scam you, its unfair, isnt it? Or not?

Or, if you get PK'ed by your own fault, is that unfair?

If you loose a DB to a bag jumper (or just a regular player who takes bags from the ground), is that unfair?

Somehow i really get headaches, when i read, what ppl call fair or not.

(and thats not against Tirun, even if it (only) might sound like that.)

Piper

Life is not fair.

Sad. This sort of view suggests we should just stop trying. Why make things better. Learn to laugh AND give up at the same time :S

Maybe life isn't fair... but if we have a chance to make it better, why not take it? If we can make it better, why not do so?

No to multiply on main server. It is not good on pk server too but who cares. Pk server is dead now. You dont need any friends or enemies on pk server. You have alts(slaves) to make you money, items, weapons, essences etc.

If you can multiply on pk server you dont need any other players for communication. No community, no trades, no pk, no fun. Multiply allowed is death for every multiplayer online game.:devlish:

I say YES .. because it annoying not being able to trade stuff to your brothers

I think that you can trade stuff between family members as long as you can prove, they are two separate persons.

No to multiply on main server. It is not good on pk server too but who cares. Pk server is dead now. You dont need any friends or enemies on pk server. You have alts(slaves) to make you money, items, weapons, essences etc.

If you can multiply on pk server you dont need any other players for communication. No community, no trades, no pk, no fun. Multiply allowed is death for every multiplayer online game.;)

Amen.

I say YES .. because it annoying not being able to trade stuff to your brothers

I think that you can trade stuff between family members as long as you can prove, they are two separate persons.

This is true, I trade with my girlfriend a lot (we live together and play from the same IP). I have never been banned for illegal multiplay because when she started playing I spoke to a mod and made sure we were both clear about the rules. Most importantly ALL TRADES WE MAKE ARE FAIR (with the exception of the occasional small gift such as a sword or whatever). If anyone were to look at the server logs it is obvious we are 2 separate people and there is no illegal behaviour.

As long as you make sure you don't use each others accounts it is fine to have family members or whatever playing from the same IP.

my personal opinion is that the multiplaying would only limit the other player interactions as much as one would allow it, i play another game(no name mentioned as per advertising) but it allows multiplaying on it, and there are constantly people interacting with other. Its personal choice to cut others out of your life ingame or not, just because i have another character that i can trade to if needed or harvest me something if needed doesn't mean im not gonna get sick of it and buy from others when i can...i voted yes but could really care less...heck i crash everytime i do anything in game and i still play, so i don't think no multi or even adding multi would change my opionion.