Eternal Lands Official Forums
Vegar

Alphabetically sorted storage categories

I find the category order in the storage window to be unusable in its current, random, state. I would like to propose that the categories are ordered alphabetically.

What do you think?

(How do I make this a poll?)

Totally agree. I find it counter-intuitive. It's even worse when you're in a hurry and trying to get things out of storage quickly.

I personally have never had a problem with it and I hope it stays like it is. You get use to finding stuff after a while playing EL.

I wish we could move the items to other rooms, like we can in inventory.

I have very many different rings and I need to click several times to find the ring I want - hard to remember how C2 rings look.

And I have more than 30 different flowers, some rare used and it would be nice to have the flowers I use most in the first rooms.

Yeah it would be a very nice thing if we could rearange the items in sto in an order we want instead of just randomly after when we put em in there :)

Yeah, I like the idea of being able to move things around in Storages, would also be cool if we could create other parts, for example, we have 'Armours', insted we could make something like 'PK Armours' in there we could put all the things for PK, so everything is much easier to get to and used. :)

Yeah, I like the idea of being able to move things around in Storages, would also be cool if we could create other parts, for example, we have 'Armours', insted we could make something like 'PK Armours' in there we could put all the things for PK, so everything is much easier to get to and used. :)

This has got nothing to do with changing the overall functionality of the storage window. It's purely to do with the category ordering.

I find the category order in the storage window to be unusable in its current, random, state. I would like to propose that the categories are ordered alphabetically.

What do you think?

Sounds like a great idea Vegar :)

I would surely love to see both alphabetically sorted categories (they already are in the Encyclopedia) and rearrangeable items in the store.

Rehdon

My main objection is that the storage categories should be arranged in the order they are most accessed (I am not saying that the current order is the right one). That, and also the fact that many people are already used to their categories as they are.

Why not have a button in the storage window which toggles the way the list is sorted?

Piper

There could be a config option to sort the list alphabetically (which is enabled by default).

Why alphabetically? Once you are used to it, the current one is easier imo.

Books are near the bottom, cuz they are not withdrawn a lot (they would be on top if you alphabetized)

Flowers & Ore are near each other (used in alch)

Armor, Weps, Magic are all near each other (equipment, would be as far away from each other if possible if alpha)

And Coins are right on top, since they are the most widely used.

Indeed. Also ingreds for certain items, so you don't have to switch to a bunch of different categories to make that 4-5 ingredient item.

What would be really useful would be to 'flag' certain items and have only those display in a 'frequently used' category.

IE. I have 30 rings or so - but really only use 5, likewise with ess, swords etc.

Like many - since the 200 cap was lifted my storage is now full of loads of junk!

How about configuring storage by way of an xml file. You could have a storage_name.xml and an option "use my storage" (use default storage layout if disabled). Anything not listed would go into a "left overs" category. If there was a storage_default.xml with the default storage layout (updated with auto-update), one could use it to make her/his own version easily.

<category name="Food">
<item name="Toadstool" />
<item name="Fruit" />
</category>
<category name="Books">
<item name="Book of ..." />
<item name="... building />
</category>

Book category highlights the fact that items would need to be able to be regular expressions...

Why alphabetically? Once you are used to it, the current one is easier imo....

I've been playing for two years and still spend time hunting for the right category. But that's probably just my problem.

Sorry Vegar to put another thought into the mix but... How about we use icons instead of text? A suitable scaled image would give room for at least two rows of icons. An image would allow an almost immediately recognisable category. A tool-tip could give the category text when the mouse is over the icon. Either the server could send an image id with the category name (future proof) or we could code the image into the client or use an updateable image list file.

Totally agree. Best suggestion I've ever heard, seriously. I used to know all the categories off by hand, but since its been a year since Ive played I have completely forgotten it. Either way, I dont think there is any reason to keep it the way it is.

Some care needs to be taken on this line of thinking, or else there will be cries of "I wanna sub category of drop vs non drops stoof in sto!!!11" and then it will get a bit out of hand.