Eternal Lands Official Forums
Suncie

Swearing in forum and game

The balloon will blow up if everyone keeps adding air to it ;(

Thats the trouble with freedom of speech.. it has a bad habit of coming around and biting you in the ass :dry:

Hmm, so in Germany, if you say the equivalent of "fuck" in a conversation, people will beat the shit out of you?

Interesting, but then again, where I live we have the 2nd amendment ;)

Hopefully Barack Obama won't ruin that for us :dry:

Here's to hoping guns are banned in the USA. The second amendment was only fit for a recently formed nation, anyway.

EDIT: I find it amusing how many people can't spell the word "speech".

Edited by Aphistolas

Yes, youre somehow right. It is not a common habit over here to say shit or fuck, but that points at the ebul 4 letter words.

sorry i have to post agains this but..

everyone i know says shit or fuck... personally if e.g. something doesnt work as i want it to work i also say "gottverdammte scheisse" (goddamn shit)

pretty often :P

so its very common imo, and whats hte problem with ent saying fuck or shit? we all do, look at all the topics where people used the word shit/fuck/bullshit/fuck off/piss off... you will see there are many people using those words, and as long as u dont do it like "fuck off omfg u n00b loser shit fuck" it doesnt matter imo... its just about how intelligent u write it imo lol. for example "i just broke my fuckin red dragon armor" where the word fuck just replaces ur anger xD

EDIT: and honestly, you guys can be happy ent didnt alrdy delete the thread or lock anyone. i mean what the "fuck" do you think? its his game, his forums, and his decision wether he swears or not. its alrdy nice enough he doesnt delete every thread that contains a "fuck"

Edited by Tempest

I'm not telling you what to do and what not to do, I'm just giving my opinion.

It's entirely up to you what you do with people's opinions.

Well, your opinion is wrong. You (and a few others) claim that swearing is unprofessional, which is not always the truth.

For example, if you are a kindergarten teacher, than yes, swearing (at work) is very unprofessional.

But if you are a hip hop artist, a comedian, an actor, or many other things, sometimes swearing is not only proffesional, but it is part of your job.

My profession is more flexible, and allows a reasonable amount of 'bad words'. And to be honest, I don't see what the problem is; as others remarked, this forum and game are pretty civil, and less than 10% (but I would think maybe even less than 1%) of the posts contain 'bad words'.

In any case, no one forces others to read or like my posts, read this forum, or play EL. If you'd rather go to a game that strictly censors every bad or semi bad words, I suggest you go and play Runescape: http://www.runescape.com

It's typical, you start showing your muscles again by threatening with bans, so I "won't be subjected to your bad language", while I said in my first post that swear words don't shock me (you even quoted it, I don't know what you meant with the reply "Oh, how I love the people that are the voice of the poor, opressed people that can't post their own ideas here." though).

I don't mind at all being exposed to your language, I just wished you don't let other people's opinions get under your skin, like I don't let your language get under mine.

I am just telling you that this is my forum, and consequently, if you are not happy with it or with me, then leave. You don't have a right to post here, and from your past posts, I can see that you have a problem with me.

Like Piper says, treat people how you like to be treated.

Actually, I treat people as they treat me.

Well, if it was up to me, sure u could. So long as you're not acting as moderator in the post, just voicing your opinion on some topic, ya.

(...)

Other than that they should be able to express their opinions and views as anyone else would.

Exactly, opinions are fine.

The way in which they are being expressed is another thing, and when you're in a "leading" or "enforcing" position, expressing yourself in a borderline-rulebreaking way is not exactly giving a good signal.

When you make your own forum, feel free to set the standards there. Meanwhile, you are not on your forum, so you don't have the right to tell us how we should moderate our forum. If you are not happy with how it is moderated, leave! I did the same thing with some other forums, I had some disagreements with their moderation team, and left. No point in wasting my time and start flame wars.

One thing I hate the most is the kind of people who think they have a right to tell you where you can put your dick, or how often you should go to church, or what kind of car you should drive, how you should rise your children, and so on. If you think your way is the best, then go ahead and lead by example, but don't come and tell me how fucked up my way is.

I didn't claim that swearing (in general) is unprofessional.

I definitely didn't comment on (forum) moderation.

I didn't say anything about being happy with you or not, or with having a problem with you or not.

And whether I'm happy with something/someone or not, I can decide myself if I want to stay or leave.

So we have different opinions, no hard feelings. :dry:

This thread is pointless.

1. Use Appropriate language

Do not use language which is sexually explicit, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive. This includes both clear and implied language, images, or links to websites with such content.

Entropy is above the rules. We must accept it and move on...

I think that point is clear, but I still feel the thread has had value as people express their views on the subject. It's been interesting reading.

This thread is pointless.

1. Use Appropriate language

Do not use language which is sexually explicit, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive. This includes both clear and implied language, images, or links to websites with such content.

Well, yeah, it is stated there:

The forums are given to the community free of charge as a privelege to use, as is the game itself, so we ask that you do not abuse this privelege and in joining these forums that you will abide by the rules listed here

It's like having a party at your house, if you are the host, you are above the rules, because it is your house.

Nevertheless, I did state already that a reasonable and infrequent use of obscene words is OK, if it is not used to insult others, and no one got banned for that.

who needs soap series when you got this forum?

anyway its all just whining here, both party's voiced their opinion, both dont agree with eachother..

so any point in continueing the arguement?

Speaking of Fuck:

:) This is just my two fucking cents!! I always thought that FUCK meant Fornicating Under Consent of the King. As in refering to the english rule of kings. :whistle: And no, I am not uneducated, just expessing myself.

As for any profanity police out there, sorry if you are offended :devlish:

never saw somebody banning you because they didnt like your jokes or because you you got confused and posted some not entirely relevant information :o

guess i just missed that ;)

never saw somebody banning you because they didnt like your jokes or because you you got confused and posted some not entirely relevant information :o

Comments like that are basically requests to get banned.

You don't get it at all, not even one little bit, do you?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

So if our Congress says that we have freedom of speach, then WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEACH.

Not really to nitpick, but I just thought that I'd point out something... Congress can't say that you have the freedom of speech - they also can't say you don't.

On a related side-note: This amendment was a limiting factor on the government, not the other way around - as people have tried to twist the meaning... Congress has certain parameters to act in; not that they allow us to act in.

[/serious point]

What does beeping the words out of the tv have to do with the right to bear arms?

That may be why I've had to replace the TV 5 times... this week. Itchy trigger finger at bad censorship :P

[semi-serious point]

It's like having a party at your house, if you are the host, you are above the rules, because it is your house.

Nevertheless, I did state already that a reasonable and infrequent use of obscene words is OK, if it is not used to insult others, and no one got banned for that.

Not to argue whether swearing is right or wrong, but just my opinion:

If you set rules, then break them, you encourage others to do so - and you have a harder time telling people not to sneak off into your bedroom, or light the drapes on fire, or use the washing machine as a giant drink mixer... not that I ever did that myself...

[/semi-serious point]

Speaking of Fuck:

:) This is just my two fucking cents!! I always thought that FUCK meant Fornicating Under Consent of the King. As in refering to the english rule of kings. :whistle: And no, I am not uneducated, just expessing myself.

As for any profanity police out there, sorry if you are offended :w00t:

this is why we now spell it FUCP (fuhk - UHP) in the United States of America :P (j/k)

If profanity didn't exist, it would have to be invented.

As for those whom choose to view Radu as being unprofessional in his forum posts, let me cite 2 examples here for you to draw conclusions as to how he chooses to "deal with people":-

Greetings Section

Bans Section

In both examples there is a clear line of professional conduct, even though in the second example he and the other mods are dealing with a person who is clearly in the category I like to label as a "Twunt" (no thats not a fully fledged swear word yet, but gimme time and I will get it there).

So yes, I can see how certain people can believe that Radu flies off on one, on occasion, and throws out bans "seemingly" on a whim, but ffs be thankful that he is in charge and not me because I would be far far worse if I had to put up with shit like that and still keep working away on EL. So please dont say anything about "making a valid point" when the only person you have validated your point with is yourself, that just makes me want to get the rubber "Twunt" stamp out and hit my screen at random wherever you post.

Pye: What is a "twunt"? I'm not sure what it is, but think that guy in the second example probably is an insult to twunts.

[on topic]

I don't see where there's much room to argue, but I guess most people like a point to argue. IMO, use profanity or don't - if you're an adult here, it's your choice. If you don't like it, don't use it; if you do like it, don't abuse it. If it bothers you that someone else does use said words, find a way to deal with them, or don't deal with them. Since people are people, give them some leeway. If they are really bothering you, ignore them - surround yourself with people who you would want to be around - don't try to remold everyone in your image. If you can't find a livable solution, then find a livable situation. Use the brain you were born with...

Pye: What is a "twunt"? I'm not sure what it is, but think that guy in the second example probably is an insult to twunts.

Twunt is a mixture of two popular English swear words... leave the rest to your imagination :P

Twunt is a mixture of two popular English swear words... leave the rest to your imagination :P

Well, by what those words mean in the US, "twunt" is redundant. :hug:

Is it twit and cunt? :)

Can't Understand Normal Thinking :medieval:

CassIoPIA :whistle:

Didn't you mean to say: That's What I Thought? :)

(note: isn't twit a typo? shouldn't it be twat?)

Is it twit and cunt? :)

Can't Understand Normal Thinking :devlish:

CassIoPIA :whistle:

Didn't you mean to say: That's What I Thought? :D

(note: isn't twit a typo? shouldn't it be twat?)

nope Twit is a word.. but its not that , you are right with the twat part :P and Ent is right with the second \o/

I have to be honest, I have found this thread pretty funny :)

There are a few things that I want to point out though....

Personally the majority of swearing does not bother me at all (though some recent words here are BAD :)), I swear with the best of them. However as a parent I also know the concerns it raises, I remember clearly the first time my daughter swore...she dropped something on the floor and responded with "oh SHIT", I was mortified and I knew it was MY fault. A few weeks ago she saw someone on TV picking on another child and stated "what a Bitch!", I have no-one to blame but myself and I addressed it. Now if I even say shit in front of her I get a slapped hand and told "Thats a naughty word". Yes swearing to excess is bad, as a parent I don't like it, BUT it is MY responsibilty to make sure my daughter knows whats right and wrong, its not the responsibility of the people swearing.

One thing that people here seem to have forgotten is the cultural issue, in America its not frowned upon to swear, in England we are more reserved (ok MOST people are :P), and in some cultures searing is not tolerated at all. To me it would depend on the context the word was being used in. If someone simply stated "guess WTF I saw on the way over here" that is a totally different thing than responding to a comment or action of an individual with "are you fucking kidding me?", one is general, the other is aimed at an individual and therefor could be seen as offensive. Do I want people to stop swearing, hell no!!!! But maybe instead of stating that someone CHOOSES to be offended by swearing we could keep in mind that it could be a case of a cultural clash and we all (including those offended) need to keep in mind that EL is multi-cultural and these issues will arise.

Personally I have been offended by people swearing AT me, but I talk to the individual concerned at the time it happens, saves hours and hours of forum posts, as funny as some of them are :P I have also had people tell me that they are offended at some of the jokes I make, I usually bear that in mind when talking to the individual one on one but on a channel I say what I feel like saying and if they don't like it they can close channel off or ignore me for a while. It is possible to be mindful of others feelings/tastes AND stay true to who you are.

As a last comment, WTF is all this fuss over a few swear words? Ok, if Ent was in your PM and swearing at you then by all means ask him to stop, but for a few words amoung millions? Lets all try and keep this in perspective :)

Wolfy

P.s if my spelling is shit then tough im on dial up and didnt have time to use spell checker :P