Eternal Lands Official Forums
Suncie

Swearing in forum and game

... have you ever hit your hand with a hammer by accident? It hurts like fuck.
You must have an "interesting" sex life... :)

True, but using a little discretion might be prudent. Might even stop threads like this cropping up :)

A little discretion is fine, but as with anything, too much is not good either.

Everything in moderation...

including moderation. Or else it'd just be boring, and some people are just going to swear their mouths off because they can. You can't really stop someone from swearing. It's going to happen.

Everyone swears at least once. :)

Who gives a <Insert Swear Word Here?> to be honest. :P

Sorry to disappoint you, but I never swear, because I don't need to.

To be fair, I grew up in a culture where the language does not accomodate swearing, so I would need to switch to a different language if I needed to swear! :rolleyes: Besides, you were quite likely to get seriously decked if you were perceived as being insulting!

In any case, I think swearing is just impolite to the people you are addressing, unless of course, they don't mind. I think it should be possible to express yourself in any language without having to resort to swearing. Watch the old movies. Think about your parents. You will find that those generations managed to communicate just fine without having to use vulgar expressions.

Unfortunately, where I live now, swearing is part of the culture. People swear because it's cool to talk that way. Others swear just to make you mad. Just pray that the next person you swear at knows the difference. :)

i agree mostly. i grew up where everyone around me, including me. swore.. but thankfully i realized it was wrong..i dont swear or see the need for it.. in the game when i see ppl swearing i just filter the word so it doesnt affect my game play. i hate it when i see a curse word b/c its something that i dont do and i dont appreciate the use of it around me that i can see or read.. if you curse in the game you are forcing your beleifs that it is ok upon those who believe it is wrong and i think thats wrong.. .but since im adicted to this stupid game i chose to just filter the words so it says SMEG instead of the curse word. :D

Umm, we never FORCED it on people. In the game, you have the filter. On the forums, oh well, you can just not read the forums.

From what I've seen on tubes of the internets, there are many sites that do not mind their users using 'bad' words. Many of those sites are quite big, such as Slashdot, Digg, and so on.

From what I've seen on tubes of the internets, there are many sites that do not mind their users using 'bad' words. Many of those sites are quite big, such as Slashdot, Digg, and so on.
I'm not sure "everyone else is doing it so it must be OK" is the strongest argument that could be used here.

I'm not sure "everyone else is doing it so it must be OK" is the strongest argument that could be used here.

haha lol ur so smart lmao!!11!

Oh, wait, I never made this argument.

I think it is ok to swear on the forums but i think the game admins and moderators should use some professionalism and try not to swear as much since it can encourage other members of this forum to start to swear.

Personally, I don't have a problem with swearing in the forum, so long as it's kept to an acceptable level (that is, don't swear in every post).

True, but using a little discretion might be prudent. Might even stop threads like this cropping up :confused:

A little discretion is fine, but as with anything, too much is not good either.

Exactly, too much is not good -- like too much swearing. Especially when it's being used totally out of proportion.

I totally agree with PowerWarrior (and Suncie) here; admins and moderators are in a position where they should also be aware of the example role they have.

Am I saying that swear words shock me? Nope, not at all.

Actually it takes a lot more to shock me; being shocked by something, being annoyed by something, are feelings that I'm responsible for myself, to a certain extend. Why should I let myself get annoyed or shocked by some minor inconvenience or some written text?

With the above, am I saying that it's perfectly ok to swear? Definitely not.

I think unnecessary swearing is showing a poor use of language; it's not "making use of the richness of the language", it's a very easy fall-back to certain words, while the truely rich use of language lies in being able to express the same thing without the use of those words.

To me a text even loses it's intended power when swear words are being used.

Anyway, I said "totally out of proportion"; two examples directly taken from this thread:

1. About the thread that started this discussion; with "they know that I am stupid enough to implement it in the worst possible way" you assume that people post their concerns with the only intention to insult you.

Well, I'm pretty sure most of these kinda posts are not intended that way, and this particular thread definitely wasn't.

I'm sure you know that you won't implement things in the worst possible way, so why do you let yourself even get annoyed by someone expressing their concerns? A simple "Don't worry, things are being thought off" would've been a much more appropriate response, imnsho.

2. Well, zomg! :(, quote of the week:

But I have a bigger problem with people "your" instead of "you are" or "there" instead of "their". When people do that, it means they don't give a fuck about their language.
- Says the one who seems not to care a bit about typos at all.

- Again, you assume bad intentions; you assume that "they don't give a fuck", while they simply may "not know".

- Actually, to me, using swear words is a bigger "don't give a fuck about their language" than most of the grammatically incorrectnesses.

- I've read a lot of posts in this thread with opinions like "being offended by swear words is one's own choice". Well, getting annoyed by grammar mistakes definitely is one's own choice (too), and isn't a reason to give a "for fuck's sake" response <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.

- There must be a reason that "1. Use Appropriate language" and "4. Respect Others" are forum rules, and "X. Don't Make Grammar Mistakes" is not.

- Ok, the "totally out of proportion" thing; being a grammar nazi is one thing, but getting off on people with "strong language" is another thing.

There, my opinion on the true topic. :)

I totally agree with PowerWarrior (and Suncie) here; admins and moderators are in a position where they should also be aware of the example role they have.

You agree with which part of Suncie's post?

Oh, how I love the people that are the voice of the poor, opressed people that can't post their own ideas here.

To me a text even loses it's intended power when swear words are being used.

Where do you draw the line? Is "damn" a bad word? If so, all the literature in the world that contains the word "damn" loses it's value for you?

And if not, you have to realize that the word "damn" is considered a very bad word by some people. Should I care, especially on my own forums, that someone dislikes a word?

2. Well, zomg! :confused:, quote of the week:
But I have a bigger problem with people "your" instead of "you are" or "there" instead of "their". When people do that, it means they don't give a fuck about their language.

Typos are more or less OK, so long as they are not used in official documents, articles, and so on. Some people disagree, of course. Typos do not denote a lack of knowledge of one's grammar.

- There must be a reason that "1. Use Appropriate language" and "4. Respect Others" are forum rules, and "X. Don't Make Grammar Mistakes" is not.

The "Use Appropriate language" and "Respect Others" rules are there to prevent stuff such as: "OMFG, u stoled my spawn and ill fuck ur mother!11!". They are also there to prevent excessive use of bad language.

You agree with which part of Suncie's post?
The intention of her post -- to question your use of language, to bring it up for discussion.

Oh, how I love the people that are the voice of the poor, opressed people that can't post their own ideas here.
Sorry, but you totally lost me here.

To me a text even loses it's (*grammar nazis himself*) its intended power when swear words are being used.

Where do you draw the line? Is "damn" a bad word? If so, all the literature in the world that contains the word "damn" loses it's value for you?

And if not, you have to realize that the word "damn" is considered a very bad word by some people. Should I care, especially on my own forums, that someone dislikes a word?

I said power, not value; to me an opinion usually loses power/strength when swear words are being used, while they're supposed to do the opposite.

Vents "strengthened" with swear words make me raise an eyebrow, shrug, say "yeah whatever", quicker than opinions without them.

And no, I'm not gonna let me pull into a discussion about where I may draw a line, or where a line should be drawn.

I'm talking about unnecessary (and out of proportion) responses to people's expressed concerns and spelling/grammar mistakes.

Typos are more or less OK, so long as they are not used in official documents, articles, and so on. Some people disagree, of course. Typos do not denote a lack of knowledge of one's grammar.
Well, I totally agree; within boundaries, typos don't matter at all in this kind of informal environments. But the same goes for grammar mistakes.

It's the content that counts, and as long as people refrain from unreadable leet or text message language, I don't see any problem.

Note that "lack of knowledge of" doesn't equal "don't give a fuck about".

(Btw, not checking for typos, isn't that more of a "don't give a fuck about" situation than "lacking the knowledge"? -- but again, within boundaries, it doesn't really matter.)

Well, like you said, should you care? -- It's not up to me to answer that question, it's your own choice.

I'm not lecturing or anything (well, I don't intend to), I'm just expressing my opinion.

Moderators and admins are more easily seen as examples, expressing yourself like that does give a signal that it's ok to swear.

Boundaries get blurry, and in the end there's more work for moderators.

Again, just my opinion. :)

When all is said and done though, for a game with a large mature user base, the swearing in EL forums and game is pretty tame. I could understand people complaining about the use of swear words if it was in every single post/convo in game ( or even 10% for that matter) but its not.IMO everybody is allowed to let off a bit of steam once in a while and if that means the odd swear word in frustration then so be it.. hey its not going to kill you or make you pregnant

Edited by conavar

And I want world peace, and 1 billion dollars in my bank account. Guess what, it's not going to happen.

Personally, I don't have a problem with swearing in the forum, so long as it's kept to an acceptable level (that is, don't swear in every post).

I am not going to argue with you as i was just making a valid point about how game mods/admins should act professionaly. Why you begin to judge people because they make spelling mistakes is your problem. It just proved my point anyways of unprofessionalism as you decide to insult me because my grammer is not up to scratch.

Edited by PowerWarrior

I am not going to argue with you as i was just making a valid point about how game mods/admins should act professionaly. Why you begin to judge people because they make spelling mistakes is your problem. It just proved my point anyways of unprofessionalism as you decide to insult me because my grammer is not up to scratch.

Go-Away-Heres_an_idea.jpg

Here is another idea:

I remember a guy at work who used swear words to spice up his language.

6 weeks later, they canceled his contract.

That might give you something to think about.

Just a hint.

Piper

Feel free to complain to my CEO, stockholders, or you can stop using our services, if you are so offended by my lack of professionalism.

Go-Away-Heres_an_idea.jpg

hahaha, Ent rockz!! :)

Feel free to complain to my CEO, stockholders, or you can stop using our services, if you are so offended by my lack of professionalism.

Well, you didnt got the message, since youre somehow asking for an answer, right?

It has something to do with behaviour and manners.

I dont know how ppl treat each others, where you live, but i can tell you for sure, with your attitude over here, you would see your favorite dentist faster than you want it. to happen.

Piper

Hmm, so in Germany, if you say the equivalent of "fuck" in a conversation, people will beat the shit out of you?

Interesting, but then again, where I live we have the 2nd amendment :)

Yes, youre somehow right. It is not a common habit over here to say shit or fuck, but that points at the ebul 4 letter words.

There are 4 letter words in english, but not in german.

Of course, swering in german is not unknown or does not exitst, but i somehow get the impression that there is more trouble with english language and ebul 4 letter words than in german.

Just to point at it, swearing is not unknown in Germany, but using it too much might lead to some consequences. Like seeing your dentist sooner than expected.

Call it culture, english speaking ppl might be proud of 4 letter words, we dont know such stuff over here. (but use similar stuff aswell)

Piper

Hmm, so in Germany, if you say the equivalent of "fuck" in a conversation, people will beat the shit out of you?

Hopefully Barack Obama won't ruin that for us :)

Here is how I look at it. . .

Everyone who lives in the United States lives by a point of view. (As all people do)

One of ours is. . .

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

So if our Congress says that we have freedom of speach, then WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEACH.

By anyone trying to censor what people say then you go against the general rules that we live by.

If swear words offend you then that should not be considered OUR problem, but yours instead.

Out of respect most people do not go up to others and just tell them to "Go fuck yourself!"

But who is anyone to tell someone else that saying the word fuck,shit,ass, etc etc is wrong?

What about the millions of people that would argue that saying those words were NOT wrong?

Should we skip there opinion because those that believe they are bad words are correct? NO!

I say that if you don't like what someone else is saying then you have the 100% right to shut the fuck up and move on with your own life and stop trying to force your views and beliefs on me.

And on another note. . .

If I were to say the word fuck in public and someone tried to knock my teeth out then you better believe that I will rely on another one of my great freedoms. . .

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I am not sorry one bit that I use swear words occasionally when I talk, but you should be sorry for yourself if you think that you have the right to tell other people how to talk.

You dont need to say the eqivalent of fuck or shit here, those words are known here.

And so ppl would react.

I am talking about behaviour and manners.

If you act like an idiot, you will be treated like an idiot.

What is so hard to understand that?

Piper

If you act like an idiot, you will be treated like an idiot.

What is so hard to understand that?

Piper

Are you saying that I act like an idiot, or are you talking in general?

... where I live we have the 2nd amendment :)

Excuse my ignorance but is this the reason why they *beep* every "bad" word on your TV?

Another person who doesn't even know the second ammendment. ROFL

Gotta read up before you make a post Alberich.

What does beeping the words out of the tv have to do with the right to bear arms?