Eternal Lands Official Forums
Suncie

Swearing in forum and game

Of course that the language you use reflects, in a way, your personality. But some people believe that someone whos wears a lot is uneducated, and this is just plain wrong.

Meh:( screw it. If I am to stop swearing I'd rather be thought to be uneducated. Can't care less ^^ (Especially considering Polish curses which are HIGHLY expressive).

well it doesn't matter if that person is educated or not (even uneducated persons are aware of the fact that swearing is in most situations 'not done'), it's all about people.

this discussion started because one person wanted to point something out to another person

(not uneducated vs educated but person vs person)

in my opinion it is still the best to point such a thing out in private, because doing it in public will make the other person feel bad and/or uneasy.

swearing and bad words do express things -i am not against them- but should not be used too lightly.

if you find a person does, adress that person in private first, you will have much more results from it, and your message will not come across so agressive.

-its a matter of respect also

- thats how i feel about it. It always takes two to fight.

Edited by Melisande

Ba da-te-n pula mea... (j/k)

Brilliant point and well executed. Bravo.

Ent's words (to those who understand them) are offensive; however, most of the readers of this thread don't know what he said and therefor they have no power. They are just a string of letters, as all words are until culture and context prescribe a meaning (see the funny thread about fanny)

Words have the power and meaning that we attach to them. There are so many words with similar meanings because the world is not black and white. Shades of meaning with words are what adds texture and richness to them.

The ability to use to language well is a skill, and using powerful words is sometimes necessary. It is not the use of swear words that is indicative of a poor education, but rather a limited vocabulary in general.

Enly I simply posted my opinion on the matter, I wasn't speaking of some one directly here on the forums, so read a little better and try for once to look at what they mean... I mean seriously not EVERYTHING is directed towards the game >.>

It was more of a generality then a specification

-Blox

damn useless topic, basicly comes down to "fuck freedom of speech, you talk how i want to"

put that crap in a hole where the sun aint shining

for the constructivenes: stop posting crap, think before you make a topic.. in-game you got filters and forums you dont have to read if you dont like swearing.. gg no re, good bye, cya, sayonara, auf wiedersehen, daag

So far no one has disproved that a word (that's one word, by itself) can only offend you if you choose to let if offend you.

The person "swearing" is not to blame for you being offended. You are to blame for you being offended. :rolleyes:

...as such posting in the forums, or PM'ing, and complaining is just ridiculous.

damn useless topic, basicly comes down to "fuck freedom of speech, you talk how i want to"...
For my part, I apologize for not explaining things well enough thus causing you to have a view that is so inaccurate.

So far no one has disproved that a word (that's one word, by itself) can only offend you if you choose to let if offend you.
That's because there is no need. This thread is not about a single word out of context and if it has the power to offend. This topic is about communication, the use of language, and the use of specific words in that language to enhance or detract from the communication.

As pointed out above, swearing in a foreign language does not offend because we don't know what it means. It also carries no information or intent (because we don't know what it means) and therefore doesn't communicate anything (at least in a written form, orally it may when combined with body language and tone of voice).

As I understand it, this topic is about the use of swear words in communication. To me that implies I can understand the words (their meaning), that I understand the context or intend of their usage, and if the resulting communcation is better for their use.

As I understand it, this topic is about the use of swear words in communication. To me that implies I can understand the words (their meaning), that I understand the context or intend of their usage, and if the resulting communcation is better for their use.

Well perhaps the topic has been derailed too that, but as i understand it, this topic is originally about Suncie complaining that Ent used the word "fucking" and the phrase "piss me off"

One of the things that piss me off the most is when people bitch about things that are not ven in the game yet, and they have no fucking clue about how they will work, but they know that I am stupid enough to implement it in the worst possible way.

I mean, that is what she bolded, yes?

Do you really think she would have posted if Ent had said "that really annoys me" and "no clue", as opposed to the bolded words in the above quote?

It's not the the intent of what was said that this thread is originally about, it's about the specific words used.

My point is that I am offended the exact same amount if someone says to me:

"You're massively stupid"

or if they say

"You're fucking stupid"

I'd be less offended than either of those if someone said "You're kinda stupid", as i equate "massively" and "fucking" to have about equal force behind them.

The people who piss me off are those who would #abuse me if i was to say in local at storage "fuck, just failed a wolfram bar"... and those are the people that all my posts in this thread have been directed at, I expect Suncie is one of those people.

You all can debate if you like to only "swear" when you feel strongly about something or if you "swear" every second word... but, who cares really. That is, as has been pointed out, just they way different people are... i still reserve some words for when i feel strongly about something, but i'm not at all offended by someone who "swears" constantly.

Edited by Korrode

I mean, that is what she bolded, yes?
Yup. And you even quoted it for me (thanks) to show that the use of the words was in context, so she understood the meaning and intent. They were not "that's one word, by itself" and she was bothered (offended) by their usage (again in context).

In her case the use of the swear words detracted from the overall message (communication). As you point out, in your case they didn't.

Well my argument is that in the context they were used, she could only possibly be offended by choice, nothing was directed at her specifically (afaik)... and that it's no ones problem but your own if you're offended by any words or sentence thats not directed at you.

The person "swearing" is not to blame for you being offended. You are to blame for you being offended. :P

...as such posting in the forums, or PM'ing, and complaining is just ridiculous.

I must disagree with you;

thats 'black-and-white' thinking ;/

i find it but normal when you talk to someone you take the other person's feelings into account.

the way you put it Korrode, it almost sounds as if a person can actually control its feelings (which is only partially true)

(- some people just dont have the ability to 'not care'-)

unlike some there are people who care about how others treat them :D

- and even when people are to blame for their own feelings (as in some cases we are to blame for how we feel);ask yourself if that is a good reason to allow swearing (again i must stress the fact that doing so is not very respectful)

<edit> forgot to type half of what i wanted to say :D

Edited by Melisande

Didnt u ppl forget Radu is a god here? He has absolute power( kinda, he probably has to listen to his boss- Roja :) ), so i really dont blame him if he swears from time to time, he doesnt swear that bad imho.

Many players (including myself) dont mind to hear that, coz it makes him more human-alike, we feel he is also one of us, not a machine :)

Sorry for my newb english, working on it all the time, hopefully it was good enough to be understand :)

mp

Words are not always just a collection of alpha characters, they are a means to express yourself. Just ask anyone who has ever accidentally hit their thumb with a hammer, LOTS of expressive words there! If you are offended by something you read, stop reading it! If you are offended by something you hear, stop listening! If you are offended by something you see, look away! The choice is yours to make! If someone deliberately does something to annoy me, I size up the situation and respond in one of two ways. I either tell them to shove it up their ass or politely suggest that they should forcibly insert it in their anal orifice. My response depends on the totality of the circumstances, not who may or may not be offended by my words.

i just read 1 of the most pointless topics ever oh well i may aswell post...

as far as swearing goes yea there is a place and a time for it ..like i'm not gonna go to an interview and turn round "so whats the fucking job involve?" yet i also dont believe that everyone needs to be all proper in thier speach now.. geez if some guy was walking round where i live speaking in an overly posh english accent no swear words nothing.. he'd probaly get beat shitless for the fun of it by aload of twats to say the least ...

as for el i do try and minimize the amount i swear abit as i know kids do play but to me i sit and chill out on el and for the record i'm probaly going to swear without realising as i type how i speak to a point, if people want to judge me as a person on a whole from this then they can go fuck themselfs as they dont know me at all but i guess some people seem to catagorize shit to much.

Everyone swears at least once. :devlish:

Who gives a <Insert Swear Word Here?> to be honest. :)

Sorry to disappoint you, but I never swear, because I don't need to.

To be fair, I grew up in a culture where the language does not accomodate swearing, so I would need to switch to a different language if I needed to swear! :icon13: Besides, you were quite likely to get seriously decked if you were perceived as being insulting!

In any case, I think swearing is just impolite to the people you are addressing, unless of course, they don't mind. I think it should be possible to express yourself in any language without having to resort to swearing. Watch the old movies. Think about your parents. You will find that those generations managed to communicate just fine without having to use vulgar expressions.

Unfortunately, where I live now, swearing is part of the culture. People swear because it's cool to talk that way. Others swear just to make you mad. Just pray that the next person you swear at knows the difference. :P

As long as your not insulting someone swearing it is ok but some parents do not want there children swearing or reading such content. This forum i think is for people above the age of 13 but still some people do not want to view swearing. This is because teenagers especially pick up new words and begin to use them after seeing them used on TV/Games and other forms of media.

I think it is ok to swear on the forums but i think the game admins and moderators should use some professionalism and try not to swear as much since it can encourage other members of this forum to start to swear.

As long as your not insulting someone swearing it is ok but some parents do not want there children swearing or reading such content.

And I want world peace, and 1 billion dollars in my bank account. Guess what, it's not going to happen.

I think it is ok to swear on the forums but i think the game admins and moderators should use some professionalism and try not to swear as much since it can encourage other members of this forum to start to swear.

Personally, I don't have a problem with swearing in the forum, so long as it's kept to an acceptable level (that is, don't swear in every post).

But I have a bigger problem with people "your" instead of "you are" or "there" instead of "their". When people do that, it means they don't give a fuck about their language.

I love it how people say swearing is a lack of intelligence, when I swear alot, and have a high IQ. :D As for everyone swearing like I said befor, have you ever hit your hand with a hammer by accident? It hurts like fuck.

I love it how people say swearing is a lack of intelligence, when I swear alot, and have a high IQ. :D As for everyone swearing like I said befor, have you ever hit your hand with a hammer by accident? It hurts like fuck.

Swearing is not a sign of low intelligence ( I bet Newton said bollocks when the apple fell on his head) but in some situations it can be a sign of bad manners

Intelligence Quotient reports are not generally accepted as a measure of one's intelligence. Logical statements don't quantify intelligence, only problem solving abilities. But you're basically right, swearing isn't really a lack of intelligence. If anything, it takes more reason to use a 'curse' to its full meaning. I hear a lot of casual swearing, which generally indicates ignorance. Actually saying something, such as "You bastard." doesn't display ignorance to me.

And I want world peace, and 1 billion dollars in my bank account. Guess what, it's not going to happen.

True, but using a little discretion might be prudent. Might even stop threads like this cropping up :D

Personally, I don't have a problem with swearing in the forum, so long as it's kept to an acceptable level (that is, don't swear in every post).

But I have a bigger problem with people "your" instead of "you are" or "there" instead of "their". When people do that, it means they don't give a fuck about their language.

Not everyone can be perfect :D (joking, of course.)

True, but using a little discretion might be prudent. Might even stop threads like this cropping up :D

A little discretion is fine, but as with anything, too much is not good either.