Eternal Lands Official Forums
hobobob38

Cant open EL of a flash drive

You save the shortcut on your desktop comp refering to your flash drive?

If the flash drive is mounted (plugged in), the shortcut should work (hopefully)

Piper

Edit: Or you just start a DOS shell, "cd" to the flash drive then and start el.exe manually, that should work too. But if you just plug in a flash drive or whatever into a windows comp, windows doesnt know that it should look for executables on that storage media and provide links on the desktop.

Edited by The_Piper

Just on this...I run my windows version of EL off a flash drive. What I really want to be able to do is have the el.ini and other stuff that currently saves to C:/notmyputer/sowhythehell/amIsavinghere/Documents/Eternal Lands/main to my flash drive.

Is this possible, and if not, is it likely to be at some future point?

S.

How big is the flash drive? I have a 1 gig usb drive that I have Puppy linux on. I also installed EL on the drive. As long as the computer can boot from USB you can take it anywhere. #####Note: Video drivers will be a problem, between different computers with EL, unless the updated drivers are loaded. I have not tested this, the drivers when puppy loads might be good enough.

Edited by Usalfin

It is a 4Gb drive, and yes I could put an OS on it, but typically I will use it at my parent's place, or at work, or just while I am mucking about breaking my main machine, and it is not feasible to boot into another operating system.

The flash drive is just acting like another drive, with the game directories on it, and because it is sometimes not appropriate (or allowed ^^) to have the personal files save to the computer's main drive, I was wondering if there was either a workaround, or some way to set it, and if not now, will there be. :lipssealed:

S.

Edit: UMMM, I thought you could run puppy inside windows, but now I don't see it on the webpage.

Edited by Usalfin

MY flash drive is 256 mb i saved the whole el folder on it but i cant get the right shortcut

Whats a DOS shell

Edited by hobobob38

DOS shell might be called "command prompt" - on my copy of Vista it's under Accessories.

EL runs pretty well for me under Vista - too bad Vista runs so badly on my machine and the video drivers crash frequently (have stopped responding and have recovered or something like that).

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.