Eternal Lands Official Forums
LabRat

The whole c't thing

Umm, I think you do not understand something.

This isn't about FIXING something, it is about implementing it. It's not a few lines of code, it's like 400 lines or so, with the testing and stuff. And given that for the next 3-4 weeks I will be VERY busy with the update, with changing the webserver, with preparing for thousands of new users in a day from the c't thing, and so on, I can not 'fix' it any time soon.

When is the magazine out? Will the magazine have a review of the game in it or is it just a spacefiller for the disc? I may order a copy of the magazine for the novelty value of it :)

I see that there is a byte in the client/server code to kick (BYE). will that come into play at some point soon to kick older players as the server fills up or will it be a case of "The server is full, please come back later"? in which case I am glad I have a PK server account :icon13:

A big German magazine (c't) will include EL on their DVD a the end of the month. They will also review the game, and have an article about it.

with preparing for thousands of new users in a day from the c't thing, soon.

My heart goes out to all the Mods on IP duty that day :lipssealed:

If we can somehow get a clip of the artical posted after its realised, I'd love to see it! :lipssealed:

~kGn

That would be cool .. but in German :(

does anyone know if it is posted on there website does there page have an English option ?

nvm Just checked they only translate selected articles

Edited by conavar

i can translate you the whole magazine if u insist lol

anyway, till now i didnt even know theres a magazine called c't, never ever heard of it lol

I to would love to read the article. It would be very awesome if one of the german speaking players could translate it to english for us who can't speak/read german when it is released :lipssealed:

i can translate you the whole magazine if u insist lol

anyway, till now i didnt even know theres a magazine called c't, never ever heard of it lol

Thats because it's a german geek magizine :lipssealed:

Translation would be great, if you can get ahold of the magizine.

~kGn

I'll probably buy that issue of the magazine. But I'll doubt there will be a large article of a whole page or so. When they add a DVD they usually have like 100 programs on the DVD and provide a short description for all the programs. So this will most likely result in a short article of about 150 to 300 words.

Once I get my hands on it I'll post a translation here (unless someone is quicker than me)

I'll probably buy that issue of the magazine. But I'll doubt there will be a large article of a whole page or so. When they add a DVD they usually have like 100 programs on the DVD and provide a short description for all the programs. So this will most likely result in a short article of about 150 to 300 words.

Once I get my hands on it I'll post a translation here (unless someone is quicker than me)

Great, tyvm ago :lipssealed:

~kGn

Thats because it's a german geek magizine ;)

It's not a geek magazine, it's a magazine for 'IT professionals'. If you work in the IT industry, you know that magazine, it is well-known in Germany. It is not very specialized in terms of hardware, operating systems, programming languages or applications they write articles on, therefore I wouldn't say they are a geek magazine, but it requires a certain level of knowledge to conveniently read (and understand) the articles. The gaming section is usually rather small, so I don't think it will be a big review - probably only a couple of hundred words like ago said.

Thats because it's a german geek magizine ;)

It's not a geek magazine, it's a magazine for 'IT professionals'. If you work in the IT industry, you know that magazine, it is well-known in Germany. It is not very specialized in terms of hardware, operating systems, programming languages or applications they write articles on, therefore I wouldn't say they are a geek magazine, but it requires a certain level of knowledge to conveniently read (and understand) the articles. The gaming section is usually rather small, so I don't think it will be a big review - probably only a couple of hundred words like ago said.

I was joking :) I have no doubt that anyone who reads that is 10 timea smarter then I could ever hope to be.

~kGn

I was joking ;) I have no doubt that anyone who reads that is 10 timea smarter then I could ever hope to be.

I am sorry if that came across as an offense - it's not about being smarter, it's about knowing the deals of your trade. I didn't say IT people are smarter than other professions, like (for example) a doctor, but the doctor still won't understand much of the c't (even if he owns a computer, works with it every day, and plays EL in his free time). Likewise, IT people won't be able to understand much that is written in medical records or magazines, even if visiting the doctor 5 times a month :D

I'll buy it, too, but I won't translate it; I will correct other attempts to translate it :)

I like the c't, its not too complecated to understand, so mere mortals can understand most of the articles, too. (Except those who cant speak german :wacko:)

There are some funny comments about the IT-News, and there are fictional little romans. So, everybody who can understand german: Buy it :)

Edited by Helios_IV

Thats because it's a german geek magizine :wacko:

It's not a geek magazine, it's a magazine for 'IT professionals'...

Hmmm... We're faced with an invasion of thousands of geeks, or, thousands of IT professionals? We'd better hide the glowies and the bot code.

It's pretty clear that we're about to see a flood of new players- so let's try to make them feel welcome!

scaf

Personally, I can't wait :D

A load of new players MAY be exactly what's needed. Although, thousands on 1-2 days at once may cause a few problems that could put some decent people off of coming back.... :(

Would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be on IP that day :):) when for miles around all you'll hear is "How do I..." "Where is..." "Gimmeh st00f..." "I need armour for free..." and, of course, the millions of un-asked-for trades followed by "Free <item> pls..." :omg:

In general though, I do believe it'll be for the greater good of the game and look forward to meeting lots of happy new players :D

Good luck to the IP-based mods that day :wacko: and here's hoping that it is to the immense benefit of the game and everyone in it :w00t:

Edited by TheSpread

We expect a lot of players starting with 4th of February, due to the c't magazine.

Just a reminder: subscribers (like me) get their c't on Saturday (2nd of Feb).

does anyone know if the german c't is buyable in the netherlands aswell? or if the dutch version of c't contains the article? i really want to buy it, but i feel already stupid seeing myself traveling to germany, buying the magazine and discovering the next day it's available in dutch stores aswell.

and this magazine is available in stores on feb 4th?

Edited by AnnaMaria

does anyone know if the german c't is buyable in the netherlands aswell? or if the dutch version of c't contains the article?

There is a dutch version of c't? Maybe its just a translation of the german one, then you are lucky and dont need to go to germany and buy the german one.

Yes, at least in germany. So, before you travel to germany to buy that issue, just have a look at the dutch version at your favorite c't vendor and see if it has EL on the DVD and an article about it. That would safe you some time and money :D

Piper

thanks piper and florian. germany is only half an hour by train for me, but any other solutions would be better i guess, since i have to pay for the train in germany :ph34r:.

and there is a dutch version http://www.fnl.nl/ct/

but it only comes out monthly, so i guess its not the same.

and florian, 1 more question. which 'ausgabe' contains eternal lands? 03/08 or 04/08? (or another one)

1 more question. which 'ausgabe' contains eternal lands? 03/08 or 04/08? (or another one)

the new one wich comes to stores next monday (04/08)

does anyone know if the german c't is buyable in the netherlands aswell? or if the dutch version of c't contains the article? i really want to buy it, but i feel already stupid seeing myself traveling to germany, buying the magazine and discovering the next day it's available in dutch stores aswell.

There is indeed a dutch version available (as you already found out), to which I am subscribed. I'll check as soon as I get my copy if EL is mentioned on the cd and/or in the magazine. I'll scan and post here if it is :)