Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gildrig!

What is the point of having rain?

When it rains there should be a chance that lightning strikes you and takes away health, and the more metal armor you wear the more chance of being hit by lightning, so the could be a new command like #conductive (or it could be incorporated into #arm)

and it comes back with.

Chance of being hit and how much damage it will do you.

it would be something like this:

If you are naked:

Chance of lightning strike: < the chance of you getting hit

1/10

Conductor: < the damage taken

10 (around 5 damage)

Leather armor:

Chance of lightning strike:

-1/10

Conductor:

-10 (less, maybe 2 damage)

Iron armor:

Chance of lightning strike:

6/10

Conductor:

60 (around 30 damage)

and the more metal the higher the damage and risk. it also could be a bit random the damage dealt.

And there could be a new neg perk: Lightning man making you more likely to be hit and more damage to be dealt

also rain could rust armor and you could buy umbrellas. some of my ideas sometimes sound silly so please tell me your opinion :icon13:

Depends, the chance increases and decreases with the amount of metal you wear, but generally not very often

The idea is nice at a glance, but now that I think about it, it makes going afk for 5 minutes to snag a hot pocket an act of ritualistic suicide in EL

I don't know, It would be interesting to have. It would be an extremely rare occurance and even then only when it is raining.

Maybe to make afk players safe have only those wearing metal have a chance of getting shocked? Then you could take off the armor when it's raining or risk it and most likely not get hit anyways....

Yes...it would add a nice unlucky twist to get hit ^_^ and yes VERY rare...like finding a book in a rabbits drop

Need this be much worse than being AFK outside when there is acid rain?

The bigger problem then is balance between characters of different levels & health.

Acid rain gives small continual damage. A lightening strike would be rare event but deal a non-trivial amount of damage, which could wipe out a newbie.

One option is to do proportional damage. Another is to have alternate forms of damage, with lightening strike affecting attribute values instead of health (far more use could be made of this type of effect, since the game already manages attribute recover).

Do you think a noob would be wearing iron armor? me don't think so.damage would be minimal for a noob, :D

you only get lots of damage if you are conductive and you are only conductive if you wear metal.but good idea about the levels.

Edited by Gildrig!

Do you think a noob would be wearing iron armor? me don't think so.damage would be minimal for a noob, :D

you only get lots of damage if you are conductive and you are only conductive if you wear metal.but good idea about the levels.

How lond have you been playing this game? :P Because newbs in full iron, full steel or even full titanium aren't rarity around here :P

And why just ppl wearing armour ? if you are outside using a metal pick or COL then you should have a chance to get struck as well

everyone has a chance of getting hit, its just the more metal you wear the higher the stakes, but lightning cant strike on IP or in outside storages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

You would not get shocked if you were in metal armor, you would get fried naked.

True, if lightning strikes a vehicle or even aircraft, nobody inside would get harmed. There is also greater chance of being struck when in higher altitude than other things around you or near sharp edges...

this is true, but maybe with armours it wouldent work:) Atleast i wouldent try it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

You would not get shocked if you were in metal armor, you would get fried naked.

To a large degree, Faraday cages also shield the interior from external electromagnetic radiation if the conductor is thick enough and any holes are significantly smaller than the radiation's wavelength.

I tend to doubt a random iron/steel armour would be thick enough... unless it is and you can't use it due its weight. Moreover, I don't think the space between a helm and torso is small enough. All in all... full armour = a good conductor with a nice set of holes in it. Ergo, you're fried.

Edited by Vanyel

Going back to the original question "What is the point of having rain?" and thinking of less spectacular events than lightning strikes *yikes* I think the rain could be a nice modifier for harvesting - it is quite obvious that plants grow better after the rain, don't they ? A small increase in the rate of harvesting outdoors as well as slightly higher chance for harvesting events might encourage players to change maps as weather changes. That also gives me an idea of a magic weather/rain indicator item ...

Going back to the original question "What is the point of having rain?" and thinking of less spectacular events than lightning strikes *yikes* I think the rain could be a nice modifier for harvesting - it is quite obvious that plants grow better after the rain, don't they ? A small increase in the rate of harvesting outdoors as well as slightly higher chance for harvesting events might encourage players to change maps as weather changes. That also gives me an idea of a magic weather/rain indicator item ...

Now that's a good idea! Neat, simple yet interesting :)

And a chance to catch the flu .. -5 phys for 3 hours ... wearing the new hood when its out would of course negate that chance

yes...i like that idea too. and another one, why cant we have a full on weather system with weather prediction stones, so it can be sunny,cloudy,cold,wet,warm, and each of these have different effects on you... but i still like lightning XD

And one more thing ... it has happened in the past of military conflicts that the rain was making bows useless due to bowstrings getting lose ....

Rain also makes iron things rusty, but along with bowstring loose, that would only annoy people and as there is no bonus, I don't like negaitive effects, just for the sake of them, this game is rather hard even without them, why make it even more frustrating?