Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lumino

Huge Announcement!

Hi everyone! I have an extremely exciting announcement for all of you today. For those of you who know me, hi again, hope this message finds you well. For those of you who don't, I'm Lumino, and today I'm writing as a citizen of EL who wants to make some changes--for the better.

Some of you know me from the Eternal Lands Gala which was held last July; the event was a great success with over 200 guests. Others of you attended the EL Christmas Events 2007. Either way, you should know that my close friends and I are devoted to creating things for the community of the game we so love. Now, I announce that we are launching a formal organization, called the Community Endeavors Society. Here's how it works...

CES will be a large organization (NOT a guild) devoted to promoting major community projects, like the annual gala and the Christmas Events, but also smaller things, like the occasional contest or tournament. We hope to entertain hundreds of members--membership is free--and bring them exciting new developments and ways to enjoy Eternal Lands. If you enjoyed the gala or Christmas events, then this is a society you'll definitely want to join.

Benefits of membership:

* Periodic emails abut what CES is up to

* Plenty of fun events to attend hosted by CES

* A chance to volunteer and help make the gears inside CES spin

* Your input considered with extra weight

* Lots of opportunities to win prizes and cash

* And, of course, it's free to join! (Head over to http://el-ces.110mb.com/join.html to do so.)

I, Lumino, have taken on the role of Chairman of the CES Board of Directors, but we still have more Board chairs to fill! Now, this isn't just a "ask me to join and you're on" sort of thing. You should start out by becoming a CES member, volunteering at events, getting on committees, etc. to prove to us that you are dedicated, good at what you do, and that you feel a sense of civic duty. Enly, a current board member, is an excellent example. I had never heard her name before when she PMed me to explain that she was interested in helping me organize the gala. Thereafter, she helped a ton, and we became friends; now she is extremely dedicated and offers to help with just about every project I take on. This is what you must do; you've got to prove yourself.

We have a website where you can find out more information, look at pictures, check out our plans, read our history, join the organization, and LOTS more, please check it out!

http://el-ces.110mb.com

And now, on to some even more exciting news. After the gala, we had several requests for it to be every 6 months rather than annually. This didn't seem right to me, so instead the Board has decided to launch separate annual event every February, so that there are still two a year. This event is the Eternal Lands Birthday Bash. EL's official Birthday is February 14th, but that's a Thursday, so the party will be held on the weekend just thereafter.

Please join us in celebrating Eternal Lands' 5th birthday party! This event will be a lot like the gala, but much larger, with more fantastic fireworks and a custom invasion planned. We project 200-300 guests and will be giving away over 100k of prizes (probably much more).

More information about the Bash will be posted in a new thread in the next week or so.

If you enjoy my events or the events of my close friends, or just want to see some more community projects launched, then join CES TODAY!

Questions, comments, post here.

-Lumino

PS: Here are links to our past events so you can be sure we are professional and know what we're doing.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=35626

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39214

You can also go to http://el-ces.110mb.com/gallery.html to see pics from the gala.

EDIT:

To clear up confusion:

CES is not just for people who like to organize events. It is a society of people who like going to events. By joining, you are NOT pledging to help out with organizing events, but rather joining the group so you can enjoy the events it puts out. Therefore, anyone who enjoys events of any kind and is interested in what CES will be doing should join.

Edited by Lumino

seems like a good organized way to make el a little more fun :)

i'll probably join :)

Edited by ElWood

I agree with Elwood. This is a great way to improve EL's community. As a member as the assistant board of directors, I encourage you to join.

-Curia

Edited by Curia

Thanks for the support, all, and please post a response on here with any thoughts, even if it's just "good idea" or "bad idea". Also, PLEASE take the time to sign up, it's very very easy (~5 mins) and is a VERY valuable resource.

Lum

EDIT: I have decided that to encourage joining, the 50th to join will win an EDE.

I must say, I am a bit disappointed with the response of the community here; many have read this thread, yet I know that not all of you are joining the organization. I may throw in other prizes for people who join, which I won't tell you about now to avoid people who want to wait until the right time to join if prizes go out at a high number.

Anyway, if you got nothing whatsoever from this post, get this:

http://el-ces.110mb.com/join.html

<edit>

Edit is your friend. There's no need of posting every 2 hours and 40 minutes.

~Kheres

Edited by Lumino

I'd say give it some more time and keep spreading it all in channels in EL (where appropiate). Also, try spreading it through guilds. Just my 2gc :o

Edited by RaF

Lumino, you weren't in game and your pm box is full, so I'm posting this here :o

A couple of things about your CES post:

1. It's a Bad Idea tm to offer prizes for people signing up. Do you really want people in your organization there solely for a prize and do nothing else?

2. Probably a good idea to make your website look as though it's related to EL. Right now it looks like it has nothing to do with it.

3. It will take a while to get people to participate. Waiting one day and saying you're dissapointed isn't right. Wait a few weeks, do a lot of advertising about it in the channels, etc.

People are more likely to join and participate if they see what it's all about, so maybe organize some small events for them to take part in or help create. It's not like you're the first to try to create an events team. It's very difficult to find people to participate in helping out.

I'm new in EL but I've participated in Lumino's Xmas event and it was great. Therefore I'm signing up and I'll do my best to help with future events and activities.

1. It's a Bad Idea tm to offer prizes for people signing up. Do you really want people in your organization there solely for a prize and do nothing else?

I hadn't even though of this--you're right, of course. OK, so there won't be prizes for signing up. BUT: you cannot win any event by CES and claim the prize unless you are a member from now on. Perhaps a more indirect way to offer incentive.

2. Probably a good idea to make your website look as though it's related to EL. Right now it looks like it has nothing to do with it.

How wold you suggest doing this? An EL logo?

3. It will take a while to get people to participate. Waiting one day and saying you're dissapointed isn't right. Wait a few weeks, do a lot of advertising about it in the channels, etc.

People are more likely to join and participate if they see what it's all about, so maybe organize some small events for them to take part in or help create. It's not like you're the first to try to create an events team. It's very difficult to find people to participate in helping out.

Right, and for this reason CES is already planning a small event to kick things off.

Thanks Roja for the advice--it is well taken and I appreciate you coming on here to give me your thoughts, since you do have 5 years of EL experience under your belt :P

Heya Lum! Remember me? I took a break but now I'm back and willing to help :P Good Idea, I'll be signing up soon.

'Course I remember you--got your volunteer request, I'll contact you if we need help.

I'm new in EL but I've participated in Lumino's Xmas event and it was great. Therefore I'm signing up and I'll do my best to help with future events and activities.

You're too kind--especially considering I STILL owe you a prize :/ But thanks for signing up.

I would like to add as a general message to all, please spread the news of this to your friends and guildies. We would like to grow as large as we can.

The CES Board of Directors thanks you all for your support, and we hope to see even more in the next few weeks!

Thanks Very Much,

Lumino

EDIT:

It has come to my attention that there may be some confusion about what CES is, so I will post this on this post and on my original one:

CES is not just for people who like to organize events. It is a society of people who like going to events. By joining, you are NOT pledging to help out with organizing events, but rather joining the group so you can enjoy the events it puts out. Therefore, anyone who enjoys events of any kind and is interested in what CES will be doing should join.

Edited by Lumino

... BUT: you cannot win any event by CES and claim the prize unless you are a member from now on. Perhaps a more indirect way to offer incentive.

I'm strongly against this idea lumino, log on gosh darnit I need to talk to you. But just know I think this is a bad idea.

Edited by Enly

Hmm...so it seems this idea has been met with opposition...

For now, then, it will be considered null and void.

Still, I recommend joining the group, as it is not that difficult and you will truly benefit :P

... BUT: you cannot win any event by CES and claim the prize unless you are a member from now on. Perhaps a more indirect way to offer incentive.

I'm strongly against this idea lumino, log on gosh darnit I need to talk to you. But just know I think this is a bad idea.

Yes, that would be an extremely, and pointlessly bad idea.

And yes an EL logo or perhaps even just the words Eternal Lands? :P

EDIT:

It has come to my attention that there may be some confusion about what CES is, so I will post this on this post and on my original one:

Ummm...

So unless anyone joins your "community" and pledges to you, they are not welcome? I would have sworn I saw

Either way, you should know that my close friends and I are devoted to creating things for the community of the game we so love.

I hadn't even though of this--you're right, of course. OK, so there won't be prizes for signing up. BUT: you cannot win any event by CES and claim the prize unless you are a member from now on. Perhaps a more indirect way to offer incentive.

Considering this remark I don't think I, as the Event Manager, can support this idea. Moreover, I don't think it should be supported by any moderators at all. Only open-to all (excluding serial troublemakers and contest-spoilers) events can get my, again as the Event Manager, support.

EDIT:

Ummm...

So unless anyone joins your "community" and pledges to you, they are not welcome? I would have sworn I saw

Either way, you should know that my close friends and I are devoted to creating things for the community of the game we so love.

I REALLY don't want this thread to turn into an argument/discussion of this, it is rather one to promote the group--however I do feel slightly misrepresented in this post, and I am sorry you feel this way. If you wish to discuss it further, I will forum PM you.

In light of comments posted on this thread, and after some consideration, I do see the error in my original thought--I apologize for it, I had not entirely considered it before I posted, and I will make sure to do in the future.

I really hope this doesn't dampen the spirit of what we are trying to do. If you know me, you know that I would never want to hurt anyone or cause any problems. I am doing this for everyone in EL, and I would hate to think that by trying to help I somehow caused an issue. So, please accept apologies and understand that anyone will be welcome to win any events we host. :P I do appreciate the feedback, positive or negative, I realize because of it that what I posted was sort of exclusive, but I meant it only to encourage joining the group.

Take it as you will.

Lumino

No apology necessary as far as I'm concerned. Lum, you were simply trying to promote your group as you said and made a small miscalculation on how you should go about doing that. It's still a great idea, just give it some time to work out on it's own. People will join more once things get going.

No apology necessary as far as I'm concerned. Lum, you were simply trying to promote your group as you said and made a small miscalculation on how you should go about doing that. It's still a great idea, just give it some time to work out on it's own. People will join more once things get going.

I appreciate your understanding, xenkoriu. I hope the rest of the community will take this as well as you have, especially the moderators whom I seem to have incensed.

In the meantime, we on the CES board are already busy concocting plans for an event to kick things off. Remember, you can aim any suggestions or thoughts at one of our staff whenever you want. (http://el-ces.110mb.com/staff.html)

Lum

To all you posters and repliers......

Please, please remember that our very dear friend, Lumino, is enthusiastic beyond belief. He loves this community of ours and wants to share that feeling. I applaud that and will continue to applaud that spirit until the day that I can no longer hope to see the Unicorn in WhiteStone.

I suspect, and I am only speaking for myself here, that he was looking for some idea as to the scope of the event we should be planning. And I do mean *we*, as I will be as much involved, as will many others.

You all know I don't post often. It is because I think fewer words speak louder. Give us a chance to formulate some concrete ideas and present them to you. I doubt you will be disappointed. Time may be short, but where there is a will........!

Respectfully,

Ferny

Let me be clear as to why the moderators are upset:

1. We fully support events and people who run them. Many people and groups and guilds run/host events, look at the blue spam ingame and channel 6 and the Events forum section! We the moderators have participated in many as well. We will happily announce these events. HOWEVER: in no circumstances do we publicly announce the recruitment for these groups, or officially "support" them in preference over any other group. That is unfair.

((And to be honest, if we do it for one, we must do it for everyone and funny how blue moderator broadcasting is GREAT when it's for your own purpose but SPAM when it's for anyone else.))

Now that said, here's what happened with this thread specifically that "incensed" the moderators: Multiple mods on separate occasions had been directed to this thread by Lumino and asked to broadcast it. Without mods needing to discuss it, each mod had said "No, that is a private group recruitment post, we do not announce those. We will be happy to announce your event when it happens. You may go to channel 4 and post however.". Yet unhappy with that Lumino went to get higher authority and got it. So we announce the recruitment, since Lumino convinced Roja it was for the good of the game and for all and he was trying to start an events team (see issue #2 below). And then this, exclusivity piled up with more exclusivity, and flat out admission in this thread it's sole purpose is recruitment.

2.. We do have an official Events Manager, who has put together MANY grand scale events for you over the years, and countless mid to smaller size ones. Very high profile, yet none of you seem to have approached him to participate. And he's asked for help so many times.

I will say it again. We are happy people want to do events, look around you. We will not officially support one group at the expense of the others. If you want to be officially supported, go help Kheres. If this is truly for the good of the game and not for self gratification, then please stop making a spectacle of it and get on with planning your events and running them as everyone else does.

I tend to agree with Aislinn and Kheres on this issue. Seems to me this is nothing more than a recruiting attempt for some 'society' in the game (even if that's not what you intended...) That was my first impression when I read it, and the impression only got stronger as you 'pushed' the idea and seems disgruntled by the fact that it wasn't getting the response you'd hope for.

I'm not trying to assult your sense of wanting to improve the community or the fact that you're a nice person. :devlish: There are already several such 'societies' in EL, and there's nothing wrong with one more. But, whether you meant to or not, proposing this as some 'big improvement' to the game detracted from your intent I believe (as well as making it seem fairly exclusive, join or not be included...) If it's exclusive, then it doesn't improve the entire EL community, just those that choose to join (and excludes the rest.)

Aislinn, I fully understand what you mean--and, I see how this can be frustrating for moderators. I only asked 2 mods to announce it (and only because after getting Roja's OK the first one had logged off), 'multiple' is a bit of a stretch :laugh: But the point is, yes, I know there is an events team. And yes, the eventual plan was to "prove" ourselves to the mods by showing them what we can do events-wise, and then perhaps approach Kheres about helping with his events. Either way, I never mean to cause this much trouble, I hope you know! :w00t: Still, I'd just like to address a couple points so there is no misconception.

in no circumstances do we publicly announce the recruitment for these groups, or officially "support" them in preference over any other group. That is unfair.

I would never ask you to favor my group over any other. I completely agree.

admission in this thread it's sole purpose is recruitment.

Not quite :devlish: It's for promotion, awareness, etc.--but yes, we are hoping to get people to join.

I do not ask to be "officially supported". I only want to keep running the same events I always have, just this time, being able to send info about them to the mailing list of people who joined, and giving a "front" to the group of people that has helped me every time and go unnoticed. I don't do my events alone, but since I always post about them, people start calling it "Lumino's party", "Lumino's event", which is WRONG. Usually I have a panel of supporters, and they are all now on the board for CES.

CES is not mine alone. It's not even solely the property of those who join. It is now, and will always be, an attempt to help the community in any way possible.

You can take it's early mistakes as a sign of it's incompetence if you want. You can decide that it is exclusive, arrogant, or whatever. You can turn away from it with distaste if you like.

Or we can patch the rift and make friends--what CES is all about.

It's your decision :happy:

Thanks for your time, everyone, and Aislinn, please don't misread this post as me trying to "argue" with you, I just felt slightly misrepresented in your post and wanted to correct some things so everyone knows how I really stand.

-Lumino

Edited by Lumino

I think the main reason you were 'misunderstood' was because you don't know how to talk with people as well as you may think. I know when you were discussing my portion of the event with me, you came off quite arrogant. I ignored it because I know you are still in high school, and might not have all the communication skills necessary for planning things like that.

I learned it at one point, and you will too. Choose your words carefully, because people will judge you by them.

The point isn't to make you stop planning and running events. That is a very good thing.

Nor is it to make you stop recruiting people to help. Every event needs people. Both helping and participating when the time comes. You can't force people to want to help, believe me, I know that well. I understand the frustration of it. But by trying to bribe them with gifts or threaten them with exclusion, you only upset them and drive them away, not pull them in. I do think you now understand that now since you have seen it first hand. People will do what they want to do.

The moderators are always happy to help out with and even participate in events, of course providing they are available, and are still able to have enough to do moderator duties as well. That isn't an issue either, you will have our support for that as would anybody else. Sometimes there is a problem with availability but that is just due to real life or moderating conflicts, not a lack ofdesire to help.

You have multiple venues at your disposal to get your information out. The events forum, channel 4 for recruitment ads, local chat, even channel 6 would work as long as no other event is running. You have your web site too. But you must see that we cannot broadcast every group's recruitment needs, we'd be spamming all day and night. That part of it is your responsibility. We are more than happy to announce your events when they happen, and a link to a forum write up of the event if you have one (when the event is made and has a date, etc).

We did try to explain all this to you, both before this fuss and after, I guess it got lost in the excitement and ensuing fuss.

I know when you were discussing my portion of the event with me, you came off quite arrogant.

I'm sorry you feel this way :w00t: Well it's something to think about, certainly, I'm glad someone came out and TOLD me. :devlish:

And yes, Aislinn, I do understand what you've said. However arrogant I may come off, I'm not stupid (well, debatable :laugh:), so I will certainly take into account your words.

Glad we could come to a peace :happy: