Eternal Lands Official Forums
amd

Movement

Hey!

Today I was experimenting with keyboard movement, but unfortunately stumbled upon the issue that every time you move the character it will always turn its face towards the heading.

So am I right that this is not possible with current server-client protocol?

..or did I just overlook something...

Why would you want it to be different than it is now?

There are few problems with mouse movement (like trees blocking the way) which is quite annoying on some maps. Also having laptop and playing without external mouse is quite tiresome :D

So, I was seeing whether it is possible to implement WoW-like movement system. (Although I have never played WoW, I just stumbled upon this: http://www.ilovejackdaniels.com/cheat-shee...ft-cheat-sheet/ )

I looked a bit at the protocol code, and it really seems to be impossible with current protocol.

[edit: Finished last sentence properly :wacko:]

Edited by amd

Our protocol relies on the fact that the client only send the destination, and the server sends the steps. So far, there are no plans to change that, I think it's the best system in terms of simplicity and bandwidth.

Our protocol relies on the fact that the client only send the destination, and the server sends the steps. So far, there are no plans to change that, I think it's the best system in terms of simplicity and bandwidth.

Ok, :D understandable..

But your roadmap lists "highly experimental code" :wacko:

Edited by amd

Such a thing has already been discussed a few time ago but I don't remember where. However, it can be done by giving to the server a position that is a little forward in the direction you are going (maybe 3 or 4 tiles forward) and changing this position at each step or maybe 2 steps (with the lag, it'll not make a big difference I think). In this way, it will act exactly like if you were constantly clicking with the mouse to move your char.

However, actually, the server compute a shortest path to avoid obstacles and then return all the movement the char has to do to reach the destination. In order to control the char with the keyboard, the server would have to send a straight path that will stop at the first obstacle so it'll need a new command.

Anyway, there's sometimes a big lag when you click with the mouse (at least for me) so I'm not sure that such a system would give a better gameplay...

There are few problems with mouse movement (like trees blocking the way) which is quite annoying on some maps.

The clickable minimap is quite useful here, especially when hunting.

Why would you want it to be different than it is now?

There are few problems with mouse movement (like trees blocking the way) which is quite annoying on some maps. Also having laptop and playing without external mouse is quite tiresome :)

So, I was seeing whether it is possible to implement WoW-like movement system. (Although I have never played WoW, I just stumbled upon this: http://www.ilovejackdaniels.com/cheat-shee...ft-cheat-sheet/ )

I looked a bit at the protocol code, and it really seems to be impossible with current protocol.

[edit: Finished last sentence properly :)]

The movement system you talk of is not 'WoW-like', games have been doing it for years. WoW did not create this, nor should it be credited thus.

If a system were to allow keyboard movement and a client were to only send a 'pulse' of its location say, every 5 steps, surely you would equal or even save bandwidth usage?

If a system were to allow keyboard movement and a client were to only send a 'pulse' of its location say, every 5 steps, surely you would equal or even save bandwidth usage?

I think you have a problem then to show other people where you are. Let's say you walk 1 step in front, and then 4 to the left. Since you only report 1 step out of 5 other people will see you walking 5 staps in front instead of 1 in front and 4 to the left. Or I just don't get what you mean :pickaxe:

Anyway, I would like keyboard walking to avoid mouse usage. It would be a nice feature.

I think you have a problem then to show other people where you are. Let's say you walk 1 step in front, and then 4 to the left. Since you only report 1 step out of 5 other people will see you walking 5 staps in front instead of 1 in front and 4 to the left. Or I just don't get what you mean ;)

Anyway, I would like keyboard walking to avoid mouse usage. It would be a nice feature.

I think it would have been more like:

Player presses "up".

Client sends "start walking to location that is 5 squares up".

For more accurate movement there is home-key and turning buttons. Except with insert and delete turning is too slow while compared to movement with mouse.