Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Man (player) eating leopard

Without meaning to sound trite or clichéd, the first thought that came to mind with that post was that we could finally get the chance to strike back at the Grue.

If you want to keep it as a leopard, then great, but if it is a monster then why not make it mythical.

And I would love to see a server message - 'Playername'* has been eaten by The Grue.

*I just know that my name will feature there.

I can tell that a number of players are very excited at the idea of this monster, and if you like to fight, or constant adrenaline, then certainly this sounds like a good thing. However, it should come as no great surprise to many of you that I see some counter arguments as well.

1. As pointed out before, this seems to directly counteract Acelon's efforts to bring people to C2, and especially to maps that are not very populated yet.

2. As I'm dropping my RSD into PV sto and walk away again, I'm leaving only four players behind there. If only one more leaves, that makes PV storage a "not populated" area. I've always thought of it as one of the safest places in all of Draia and I like that there are safe places. PV sto often has fewer than 4 players at it. Now not just an afk harvester could be killed, but also someone sitting at storage mixing, just cause one more person walks away.

3. During guild projects or group projects, often some people mule, others harvest. From now on you'd have to mule in armor and with health ess and maybe weapons since you'd likely need at least 60/50 a/d (a guess) to stand a chance against this creature nekkid (wearing no armor, carrying no ess). Not a very delightful prospect.

4. I'm sure plenty of people are above the 50's in their a/d, but I'm equally sure that there are equally plenty who are not, though they are high on other skills. To the best of my knowledge this includes a number of long time players and even mods. Is it possible that these players -- just like me -- like EL in part because you don't have to constantly worry about being attacked? Because you don't have to fight and can still have fun? I understand the game is driven a lot by the figthers and that's ok, but even those fighters need armor and essences, which are created by harvers and mixers.

5. Weekend invasions, Acelon's "red-turning moon" invasions, dragon invasions, random c1 invasions... MM ignoring roaming monster? I'm tempted to say "enough is enough" but I don't want to get banned so I guess I won't say it...

6. The MM perk or cloak helps particularly lower level a/d fighters that are still training up. It's exactly those players who will get killed easily by the new creature. Those with higher a/d who don't really need MM anymore would be able to kill the creature anyway. Thus, this creature doesn't benefit higher level fighters, and it hurts lower level fighters. Who exactly benefits except those that like leopard skin hats or tights or whatever piece of clothing we'll make from it?

Please don't get me wrong, I don't object to the idea in general. I do however object to it on the vast scale that it is proposed right now. Limit it to certain maps, OR allow it to obey MM, OR restrict it in other ways, and I'll be open to hearing more.

lilcnoot

Edit: wrote "light" instead of "like"

Edited by LilBear

Quick question about switching through maps.

How long will he stay on one map? for instance, maybe if "it" kills someone, it will stay for 5-10 more minutes (maybe less depending on size) on that map. That way, if someone reports dieing, you have to rush getting there.

Just wondering, because it would easier to kill if it stayed in the map longer, but also alot harder is it switched too fast.

~kGn

Yes, he will stay for a while.

BTW, I will have to 'cheat' a little with the map changing, having an AI tot ravel through long maps to exits would waste too much CPU time, so he will just teleport around (but will stay on maps for at least 10 minutes).

If you want to keep it as a leopard, then great, but if it is a monster then why not make it mythical.

Myths don't die, so he can't be a mythical creature :)

@LilBear:

I am very sure many people will not be very happy, but then again, it makes the game better and adds more strategy in it. And if you die from it during some guild project, it's not the end of the world, you won't lose much anyway.

On the other hand, if you chose to have guild projects in places susceptible to Mr. leopard, you can have someone acting as a guard, yes?

@ lilcnoot maybe it could be restricted to mainland C2 .. any map that can only be accessed by boat (tele) could be off limits ... since being a creature it cant sail :D

edit:

there are loads of possibilities to the idea it all boils down to if they are possible to programme.

roads could be safe .. but if ppl auto walk across country then o dear :)

Edited by conavar

@LilBear:

I am very sure many people will not be very happy, but then again, it makes the game better and adds more strategy in it. And if you die from it during some guild project, it's not the end of the world, you won't lose much anyway.

I don't want to guess if this is what the means...

C1- Fluffy bunnies... good place for beginners

C2- Rough in some areas... but you can build a good home here

PK- Place for fighters and monster hunts

Not everyone who plays the game enjoys monsters, so they buy a MM cape or PERK to avoid it. Instead of turning the entire game into a giant PK map... make a new place for the hunt.

Fighters need a place to hunt... miners need a place to mix. Why do we always need to push the manurs aside to make the game better for the fighters?

But I still think the idea of a mythical beast roaming around is cool LOL (make the unicorn PK'able!!!)

Edited by jiminma50

Not everyone who plays the game enjoys monsters, so they buy a MM cape or PERK to avoid it. Instead of turning the entire game into a giant PK map... make a new place for the hunt.

Fighters need a place to hunt... miners need a place to mix. Why do we always need to push the manurs aside to make the game better for the fighters?

But I still think the idea of a mythical beast roaming around is cool LOL (make the unicorn PK'able!!!)

I dont want to start a flame.. but how did people survive before C2 was implemented ? there are plenty of places to mine/mix on C1.. but people have (myself included) got to used to things being to easy and handy

The idea that it will avoid highly populated/well lit areas is good, and for players who fair the because of reasons such as they are mixer and are not strong enough and so on, maybe the monster could learn well traveled routes and jump them, which meaning if harvester traveling from sto to a cave or the other way around, could learn what the "hot" route is and avoid that route and since the monster keys in on the certain routes the players who did no travel on the route would be much less likely to be attacked, and those who travel the "hot" route are expecting the fact that it can be attacked, sort of like bandits do.

1. As pointed out before, this seems to directly counteract Acelon's efforts to bring people to C2, and especially to maps that are not very populated yet.

I don't think it will affect it at all. It seems these attacks will not be very commen, unless of course you're a un-lucky guy :D but only time will tell, thats just my opinion.

2. As I'm dropping my RSD into PV sto and walk away again, I'm leaving only four players behind there. If only one more leaves, that makes PV storage a "not populated" area. I've always thought of it as one of the safest places in all of Draia and I like that there are safe places. PV sto often has fewer than 4 players at it. Now not just an afk harvester could be killed, but also someone sitting at storage mixing, just cause one more person walks away.

I agree here, however:

1. It's a light place, so *should* avoid that area. Unless maybe you're the only one there.

2. Out of all the maps in c2, and all out-door un-populated storages, I think you have a good chance of it not going there. (meaning theres few un-populated outdoor storages, so its likely it wont stop by one of them)

3. During guild projects or group projects, often some people mule, others harvest. From now on you'd have to mule in armor and with health ess and maybe weapons since you'd likely need at least 60/50 a/d (a guess) to stand a chance against this creature nekkid (wearing no armor, carrying no ess). Not a very delightful prospect.

Guild as in more then 3-4 people, right? and if you harvest in a decently populated area you'd be fine. (trade to person on bag, instead of just walking off/on it to give goods to reduce chance of bj)

4. I'm sure plenty of people are above the 50's in their a/d, but I'm equally sure that there are equally plenty who are not, though they are high on other skills. To the best of my knowledge this includes a number of long time players and even mods. Is it possible that these players -- just like me -- like EL in part because you don't have to constantly worry about being attacked? Because you don't have to fight and can still have fun? I understand the game is driven a lot by the figthers and that's ok, but even those fighters need armor and essences, which are created by harvers and mixers.

It seems every idea radu has made recently just so happens to affect these, so called, "harvesters and mixers". No offense to you at all, but I honestly believe people can not fight and still have fun in this game. However People like a little risk in the game, and theres just not a whole lot of risk in harvesting and mixing compared to the risk in fight. (even with toadstools and mother nature)

So if you cant defense against the "man-eating leopard"? Then do your best you can to not die.; but if you do, its not the end of the game. :)

EDIT: I should make this a little more clear. What I mean to say, is, fighters (with the exception of stronger ones) will still be in as much danger as non-fighters.

5. Weekend invasions, Acelon's "red-turning moon" invasions, dragon invasions, random c1 invasions... MM ignoring roaming monster? I'm tempted to say "enough is enough" but I don't want to get banned so I guess I won't say it...

I LOVE the weekend invasion, but they are getting to be a little much. I've gotten a little bored of them, so sometimes just mix when they come on, instead of rushing out and fighting. (I guess I just lost the RP sense of "invasion happening randomly -- must save city") but I dont mind that they're on, they don't stop what I do :)

6. The MM perk or cloak helps particularly lower level a/d fighters that are still training up. It's exactly those players who will get killed easily by the new creature. Those with higher a/d who don't really need MM anymore would be able to kill the creature anyway. Thus, this creature doesn't benefit higher level fighters, and it hurts lower level fighters. Who exactly benefits except those that light leopard skin hats or tights or whatever piece of clothing we'll make from it?

You can train past fluff in c1... heck, I trained a little past ogre before even starting to go to c2 regularly.

And let me repeat my opinion: One monster - How many maps in c2 again? not to mention insides? unless this creature patrols, I think killings wont be that regular.

Just my worthless opinions :) (sorry for late reply, I'm tired and can't think/type.)

EDIT: Whats this leopards health? starts the same as regular maybe? Magic pops into my mind... (but I just came back from vacation, so I don't quite understand the new system now. So forgive me if this is a less usefull idea)

~kGn

Edited by kaGen

I dont want to start a flame.. but how did people survive before C2 was implemented ? there are plenty of places to mine/mix on C1.. but people have (myself included) got to used to things being to easy and handy

Oh I agree... things do seem a lot easier on C2... once you level up. But start a new character... and see how friendly of a place C2 is.

C1 is for beginners...C2 for Intermediate...and PK for fighters... or C3 for fighters of high level. :D

Should we turn C2 into Tahraji desert so the fighters are challenged?

Make sure ONLY fighters visit C2. :)

(there was just a major invasion on c2... how many people #beam me or just "Logged Off"?)

I'm not sure why I'm arguing with you... I still like the idea of the BEAST... guess I just like playing Devils Advocate. :)

Edited by jiminma50

Great idea. I also agree that it shouldn't be able to use boats. Mainland c2 (Idaloran, Bethel, Sedicolis, Thelinor, Melinis, Palon Vertas, Irsis, Emerald Valley, Kusamura, Zirakinbar, Willowvine, Aeth Aelfan, and Egratia) seems a good place for it. Makes sense that it would roam those maps.

Sounds .... ummm like a dragon roaming C2 that looks like a leopard

from what I can remember reading, a dragon can hit you for 100+ , even if your wearing full ti and some ruby slippers

So what your saying is you want something wandering around C2 that can 3 hit kill anyone in the game ?

*edit * maybe the person who said a dragon can +100 hit you was exagerating , but still, just because a big cat has a taste for man flesh, it doesnt mean it suddenly gains the power of 1 million gnomes on steroids

Edited by Ateh

Sounds .... ummm like a dragon roaming C2 that looks like a leopard

from what I can remember reading, a dragon can hit you for 100+ , even if your wearing full ti and some ruby slippers

So what your saying is you want something wandering around C2 that can 3 hit kill anyone in the game ?

You graduated magna cum laude from your selective reading class, yes?

Yes, it is not like suddenly we are going to overwhelmed with man eating lepords..it will be one animal, on a lot of maps, each map as a lot of caves, and a lot of spots to roam. For instance in 2 years, I have found the joker only one...and that was on the test server. (though I dont hunt him) If this cat roams so many places, it will be a very rare occurance to have him attack you. Have a rostogol and a dis/tele ring with you (if you made it to C2 you most likely have a COL by now) and if you have a COL, you should always have a rostogol with you. I think this will add a bit of fun.

Hugs All,

I think it is a very interesting idea. I would like to see it reset each time it dies, It would be nice if two

people went harvesting together could multi fight and have a better chance of killing it, I also think it would

be nice if the global warning system could announce when it is killed. :)

since when has c2 been a place for newbies? there's a reason the entrance is secret, and that it costs money to get there. if you can't deal, buy the harvestables, or find them on c1.

since when has c2 been a place for newbies? there's a reason the entrance is secret, and that it costs money to get there. if you can't deal, buy the harvestables, or find them on c1.

Well that was a helpful post.... bit of "selective" reading going on there too.

I said C2 was good for Intermediate ... and possibly I should have said Intermediate to Advanced.

If we keep hyping up C2... then it will only be C1 for Miners... C2 for Fighters.

You can't expect miners to dress like warriors. "Well wear more armor then!!!" We're not fighters... we're miners!

Should fighters have to carry oil... and if they run out of oil.. their armour turns brittle?

"But then we can't carry as much booty from all the creatures we kill!!!!"

No kidding.... we both suffer from EMU limitations... but it seems only the miners have to cope with new restrictions.

Edited by jiminma50

If this idea goes well maybe there'll be a man-eating-snow-leopard :) maybe just on imbro near the hydro

would special day's effect the leopard? eg. sun tzu, peace day etc....

omG what an awsome idea, tho i doubt id be able to kill it w/e help if it has the atk of a draggy lol, but most high mag/PKers could just harm it to death :)

Implement it plz Ent :D

~bigk

thing is i do understand that even if this dragon cat has the attacking power of a dragon, it wont have the same attributes

someone could have 150 attack skill and 4/4 p/c and hit like a wet fish ?

but saying that, I think the people who love this idea will love it until they get killed by this thing and cant get thier db back ( thats if it does end up taking DBs, which Ent said was only a possibility )

Lastly, yeh it does sound good to have an extra bit of danger wandering around C2

And I dont think we can compare this thing to the joker , because the Joker doesnt move, doesnt stalk people, doesnt bite you for 75-100 hp, and cant arm himself with a cutty to do it all

Hell put it in the game why not, give us all a reason to work on some a/d instead of being woosy mixers with MM perk :blush:

Edited by Ateh

I love this idea and am all for it. When I read Ent's first post, my concerns immediately went Acelon's thread about how to get some of the C2 maps more frequented, but if done right, I think this creature could in fact be the answer to the problem. Imagine this:

What if he/she/it drops something completely unique (my first thought is a feather used in the upcoming arrows) every ten minutes or so rather than as a death bag? Since there is no other way of collecting this item, and many are needed, hunters would be required. What a great guild project! Also, since it is a rather regular drop, hunters can actually track him. It would also serve as a warning to the lone harvester.

Personally, I think the creature should roam all of C2 if the above scenario were to be used. The more maps used, the more hunters are needed since he would be rather elusive. I think he should even wander to the insides such as Dra Se or other various caves, temples, and schools.

I am very excited about this idea.