Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Khalai

Elder and ancient monsters

Considering, how training is stereotypical and dull, an idea came into my mind. I won't deny, it's not quite original, as it is used in many games, but hunt for originality shouldn't prohibit some good addition.

How about, there is a chance of spawning a stronger version of monster instead of normal? Let's have for example 'Elder armed orc'. As elder creature, it is more experienced compared to ordinary armed orc, so it would have let's say 50% bonus to health (all numbers mentioned here are illustrative and only as examples, so don't waste time arguing about them please), 10% attack and defense bonus (with appropriate experience points given when engaged in combat of course) and naturally, better drops unlike ordinary creature. Probability of spawning an elder creature could be for example 1:500 per spawn (every creature could have its own ratios, as some of them are hunted more frequently).

Summary: 'Elder monster', 50% bonus to health, 10% bonus to A/D and improved drops.

(and 10% size increasement if possible)

Now comes 'Ancient troll'. As ancient creature, it is very experienced in combat, much more elders not speaking of ordinary beasts. So the numbers will follow: 100% bonus to health, 25% attack and defense bonus and greatly improved drops (better some unique drops no other creature has to encourage hunt of such beast). Probabilty is tenfold lesser than elder one.

Summary: 'Ancient monster', 100% bonus to health, 25% bonus to A/D, improved, perhaps unique drops.

(and 20% size increasement if possible to describe the nature of the ancient one)

I'll say it once again, all numbers are illustrative only to show the essence of this idea, so there is no point in arguing for them, they doesn't really matter now.

What do you say? Would you like it?

Considering, how training is stereotypical and dull, an idea came into my mind. I won't deny, it's not quite original, as it is used in many games, but hunt for originality shouldn't prohibit some good addition.

How about, there is a chance of spawning a stronger version of monster instead of normal? Let's have for example 'Elder armed orc'. As elder creature, it is more experienced compared to ordinary armed orc, so it would have let's say 50% bonus to health (all numbers mentioned here are illustrative and only as examples, so don't waste time arguing about them please), 10% attack and defense bonus (with appropriate experience points given when engaged in combat of course) and naturally, better drops unlike ordinary creature. Probability of spawning an elder creature could be for example 1:500 per spawn (every creature could have its own ratios, as some of them are hunted more frequently).

Summary: 'Elder monster', 50% bonus to health, 10% bonus to A/D and improved drops.

Now comes 'Ancient troll'. As ancient creature, it is very experienced in combat, much more elders not speaking of ordinary beasts. So the numbers will follow: 100% bonus to health, 25% attack and defense bonus and greatly improved drops (better some unique drops no other creature has to encourage hunt of such beast). Probabilty is tenfold lesser than elder one.

Summary: 'Ancient monster', 100% bonus to health, 25% bonus to A/D, improved, perhaps unique drops.

(and 20% size increasement if possible to describe the nature of the ancient one)

I'll say it once again, all numbers are illustrative only to show the essence of this idea, so there is no point in arguing for them, they doesn't really matter now.

What do you say? Would you like it?

You mean that?

At some of troll spawns it spawns a Troll King maybe once in 3-4 days? So it ll drop good items and will give more exp?

Yeah i would like it but its already been discussed i think :D

Looking for 'attributes' 'monsters' 'random' and similar would probably help. It has been suggested as long as I remember 2-3 times. Was turned down due to implementation problems. Not sure if it's changed ever since.

Personally, I like this idea. Moreover, I would love see all creatures in game with slightly randomised attributes/skills/whatever. It would make hunting them more interesting.

Was turned down due to implementation problems.

Well i ve a programmer friend which works for Knight Online and that game has those Boss Creatures...

should i try to contact him?

EDIT# I mean in Boss Creatures are which is way stronger than to normal one and which drops unique items

Edited by KadluB

I just thought it may be worth the discussion, as game evolves, so new mechanics can be added. I had a feeling that somethink could and were suggested, however my conception was integrated and I though it well, so it could be implemented quite simply (from the view of a non-programmer, i may be utterly wrong of course), so that's it. And as Kheres said, some randomness would be good.

I just thought it may be worth the discussion, as game evolves, so new mechanics can be added. I had a feeling that somethink could and were suggested, however my conception was integrated and I though it well, so it could be implemented quite simply (from the view of a non-programmer, i may be utterly wrong of course), so that's it. And as Kheres said, some randomness would be good.

Yeah... I sometimes get sick of killing tons of SAME feroses.... Some of them should be pr0 :)

(not pr0er than me plx :) )

Yeah... I sometimes get sick of killing tons of SAME feroses.... Some of them should be pr0 :P

(not pr0er than me plx :) )

Where would be the fun for me then? :):):P

Ill post, as thread wasn't deleted or locked till now.. and yes idea isn't original but is a good one..

Even a more shallow implementation of it would be quite fun to see.

By shallow I mean having just a few prefixes for some monsters as > young, mature, elder(veteran), alpha(warlord). Changing their stats just symbolically would make a difference and break a monotony which sometimes is present.

Good one :)

I also like this idea. If the only showstopper is due to technical implementation (not that I'm underextimating it :wub: ) let's store it in a "nice, but not yet possible" idea drawer :P

Rehdon

Well, I was thinking about it like this:

OK, we have harvest events, why can't we have spawn events?

OK, we have players resizing, why can't the monster be resized as well?

OK, we have boost potions, why can't be the monster boosted as well (sort of permantently)

I tried to fit it into what we already have here. From the point of a non-programmer, it's seems like harvesting (spawning) event and the monster has different numbers, so I thought it couldn't be that hard. But as I said earlier, I may be utterly wrong...

To make it slightly more twisted. Instead of adding a prefix to monster name just vary their attributes. This way you never know what you fight... till it's too late;)

To make it slightly more twisted. Instead of adding a prefix to monster name just vary their attributes. This way you never know what you fight... till it's too late;)

You really are an evil one :wub:

Well then it should be unknown spawns for them... And changing or adding prefixes to their names will be ok for all too... If not, Diss rings are still ur best friends :wub:

Let elder monsters be weaker and replace "Bones" with "Broken bones" in loot.

They're only elder, not old;p

Let elder monsters be weaker and replace "Bones" with "Broken bones" in loot.

Elder as in experienced, hardened in many combats, could be replaced by veteran, but elder sounds better IMO :hug: I didn't mean senile or geront monsters :P

Khalai you play wesnoth too much :wub:

Never heard of it. ;) This idea was inspired (inspired, not copied!) by my most favourite game, Diablo II, remember champion and unique monsters? Besides what is wrong being inspired in other game? :D As I said, hunt for originality shouldn't prohibit good ideas, inspired elsewhere.

EDIT: added reply to ville-v

Edited by Khalai

Was turned down due to implementation problems.

Well i ve a programmer friend which works for Knight Online and that game has those Boss Creatures...

should i try to contact him?

Yeah sure! All the devs working on EL are so stupid that they don't have any clue on how to implement a SOOOO advanced feature! We really need a pr0 for that! :w00t:

I've been thinking, that now, when instances are added and we can see unique monsters with unique stats here, if it's not time to reconsider my idea from the past.

Now, I think, that even it is not possible to spawn once in a while this stronger mobs on regular spawn, how about some alpha or leader mobs in invasions at least. For example invasion of cyclops led by their chieftain with 10k HP and much stronger capabilities, with special drops of course.

I am hoping I did not upset anyone by resurrecting my old idea, but hell, it's better than create a new thread for something similar.

I've been thinking, that now, when instances are added and we can see unique monsters with unique stats here, if it's not time to reconsider my idea from the past.

Now, I think, that even it is not possible to spawn once in a while this stronger mobs on regular spawn, how about some alpha or leader mobs in invasions at least. For example invasion of cyclops led by their chieftain with 10k HP and much stronger capabilities, with special drops of course.

I am hoping I did not upset anyone by resurrecting my old idea, but hell, it's better than create a new thread for something similar.

Imo I cant see anything wrong with the idea and it would certainly spice up the "end game" of invasions (Dragons are so last year :D )

I wouldnt go over the top with special drops though, maybe just have them 100% drop a Nexus or Perk removal stone and 5k gold for example

me likey... even if there were no special drops from them it would make training more enjoyable and unique :D

Imo I cant see anything wrong with the idea and it would certainly spice up the "end game" of invasions (Dragons are so last year :) )

I wouldnt go over the top with special drops though, maybe just have them 100% drop a Nexus or Perk removal stone and 5k gold for example

Of course, just some higher value drop, not something like JSoC or NMT :( But imagine walking Giant marshall, 50% bigger than regular Giant, in the middle of a giant pack, that would feel like superboss, an epic battle to decide the end of invasion.

me likey... even if there were no special drops from them it would make training more enjoyable and unique :)

Well, I would not neither need special drops from them, as long as XP provided is according to their strength, but since they are more experienced specimen, I would seem logical to also have more gold and valuables hoarded by them :)