Eternal Lands Official Forums
Acelon

Making maps more used..

The idea for this thread was sparked by the recent discussion in the Partial Storages thread. As we all know, there are quite a few maps that don't get many visitors ingame for one reason or another. I'd like to open up this topic to get your ideas on how to many some maps more used. Before you start posting... we obviously won't listen to "put a storage in every map". There is only one more storage planned, and that is for the skill academy in Willowvine... which i think will solve the lack of traffic in willowvine.

However , that still leaves some maps (PK maps excluded) like Irinveron, Iscalrith, Trassian, Zirakinbar, and Kusamura with VERY low traffic. And on a lesser extent... Hurquin and Sedicolis.

What are some of your ideas, as a community to fix them. I'd prefer explanations, as opposed to "Add a storage here because it'd be good" or "More yeti spawn and people will come". We want to know other ways to fix it as well.. not just programming stuff :P

Well you could start by adding a couple new arenas for people to use. I would like to suggest a arena that is ONLY for HIGH lvl fighters. One in which you cannot attack OR be attacked unless you have a 70s or higher a/d. In general adding maybe some stores or new quest NPC might also do the trick.

Well you could start by adding a couple new arenas for people to use. I would like to suggest a arena that is ONLY for HIGH lvl fighters. One in which you cannot attack OR be attacked unless you have a 70s or higher a/d. In general adding maybe some stores or new quest NPC might also do the trick.

Trust me, I've been trying to get quests in for ages now. Those would take longer.

The arena for high levels only would also need programmed.. and is currently not possible.

I believe a storage in Trassian would effectively increase traffic & help most any player in the game that is aware of it's vast resources.

I as well have many suggestions for in-game elements, though I believe unfortunately, that they would either be surpassed or entirely ignored.

I have considered the lack of inhabitants of C2, and came up with an idea a while ago... Though I dout its usefulness ^^'

Perhaps have a world select upon beginning the game, Seridia or Irillion. That way, the people who choose Irillion will mature their characters upon C2, and inhabit it more, spreading the use of, not just the lesser maps, but all c2 maps.

OR have a c2 beam system set into place for the beam newbs like me ^^' I use the #beam me command often, and would explore more of irillion if I could beam without having to pay the 100gc to come back... for me, exploring is a hassle if you wander around aimlessly, and have to worry about getting lost in a maze somewhere, and have to lose money to return.

These are just some opinions of mine, and even im a bit unsure, but please comment and inhance the idea however fits better. ^^'

OR have a c2 beam system set into place for the beam newbs like me ^^' I use the #beam me command often, and would explore more of irillion if I could beam without having to pay the 100gc to come back... for me, exploring is a hassle if you wander around aimlessly, and have to worry about getting lost in a maze somewhere, and have to lose money to return.

#beam me down :P

I believe a storage in Trassian would effectively increase traffic & help most any player in the game that is aware of it's vast resources.

There is storage very close in Glacmor just round the corner. I think it's pretty close as I mix tons of HE in trassian and carry it back to Glacmor, no big deal, the trip is short.

Well the thing about Trassian is that only that one cave is used.. and then people hunting yeti and polar bear. The whole inner city is unused.

how about allowing people to talk about the way to get to c2 on the first 4 channels instead of someone shouting '' its teh secret we cant talk about that on this chanel ! ''

Perhaps if people were allowed to discuss C2 on ALL channels, you might get a few more people going there ?

And yeh they can buy rings to get there, which kind of defeats the object of keeping C2 out of the first channels doesnt it ?

I dont understand that rule, maybe it should be changed ?

Well the thing about Trassian is that only that one cave is used.. and then people hunting yeti and polar bear. The whole inner city is unused.

thats becuase its confusingly hard to get to :P we are talking about Dra Sec... right ?

I don't think there's an easy answer to your question. High traffic maps usually present some combination of resources that makes them very attractive to players: that could be almost/all the ingredients to make a product, the convenience of a storage near to several kind of ingredients, the abundance of animals to hunt, the presence of monsters for training, and the like.

The maps you named lack this combination of resources (although I wouldn't call Trassian low traffic) so my suggestion would be to study their features and connections to other maps to add something useful to each of them. As an all-rounder who started as a fighter I surely wouldn't mind more training spots, we all know some particular areas are very high traffic, to the point that sometimes long queues form ... :P

I would also explore the concept of "partial storages" as it was discussed in the thread you mentioned: people would surely spend more time in Sedicolis to make FE, f.i., if there was at least a partial storage in that map.

Finally, if and when more quests will be added to the game you could put the relevant NPCs in those maps, so that people get to see those maps at least once (often one discovers a convenient spot to do something only by chance, because he's got to do something else...).

Rehdon

thats becuase its confusingly hard to get to :P we are talking about Dra Sec... right ?

Dra Syn

Dra Syn

same thing :pinch:

If you had a monthly competition where the Top 10 people who used all maps in C2 won some donut vouchers that could be redeemed at a donut shop people would lovingly go to more C2 maps

In my personal opinion, the reason why I avoid Kusa, is because of such high content on the map, my computer doesn't always agree with over contented maps (this also includes PV, but we all know PV is not a problem).

Irinvernon is pretty big, while big maps are needed, it's harsh when it also does cold damage.

Me, as a mixer, I can't find much use for the maps you list(diamonds a few months ago was VERY useful in Irin, but WAY too close to storage!). Maybe a couple c2 quests WOULD be nice located in those maps. :P

A few of us who potion a little have wished for an ale quest, but dunno if that's really a good idea, just wishful thinking.

I did think the partial storage was a good idea though (mostly deposit only).

Can't think of anything for Trassian... >.>

Hope it helps...

Trust me, I've been trying to get quests in for ages now. Those would take longer.

The arena for high levels only would also need programmed.. and is currently not possible.

What if you were to have a quest writing contest. Then at least that should take care of that aspect of it. Then all that would be needed is the addition to the game. Maybe offer prizes for the 3 or 4 winners. Make it a stipulation that these specific maps are to be used in the quest. That should increase the maps uses if people are busy with the quest and also give them time to see what they are missing.

What if you were to have a quest writing contest. Then at least that should take care of that aspect of it. Then all that would be needed is the addition to the game. Maybe offer prizes for the 3 or 4 winners. Make it a stipulation that these specific maps are to be used in the quest. That should increase the maps uses if people are busy with the quest and also give them time to see what they are missing.

That's not the problem. We have quests.. they just aren't getting programmed. It's low priority for Ent/Learner, so that's why :P

I bet once you implement the quests, if these maps are involved, you will solve your problem (at least for the duration of the quests). Short term solutions>>> secrets? resources that a mixer can go there specifically for? more spawns of various creatures that even a weakling like me can handle? More taverns and general stores, magic shops, fast reading rooms, academies, etc?

mmm...things that not involve programming?

- teleport pads for big maps

- more "useful" secrets

- the invisible resources (as the diamonds at irinv sto) need programming? if not would be nice to have secret resources spawning in inhabitated maps for a limited amount of time

Edited by Fedora

NPC in Thelinor tavern, maybe more shops, make them all PK but let anti people be able to buy from them, people would maybe start to mix more here.

And go PK.

We need PK arenas near storages, some people (I) don't like to go to C1 to PK.

Teleport fron Iscar ship to Iscar city and some shops in it.

The fchims back to Kusamura would be nice, maybe not all parts of the map - only 1 side of the bridge.

Storage in Zirakinbar.

Edited by Zamirah

Irinveron

I honestly think the biggest issue with this map is its so huge. And anything useful on it is just an insanely long walk. However I do think there has been more traffic there since the tailoring NPC was added there.

Just an idea for this map, perhaps a secret (short) tunnel linking the caves with resources in the south east to someplace closer to the storage. I really feel that the distances on irinveron are what deter me from spending time there.

Iscalrith

I use this map quite often, but really only the storage because of trips to iotf, or the silver caves. Reason I don't spend a lot of time on the actual map is there isn't much there. I like to wander around iscalrith city from time to time, but I don't seen any benefits in it really so I don't stay long. Perhaps add some NPCs running shops in the city? I know that takes programming or whatever, but maybe something like a flower shop that pays higher prices than normal ones.

Also there is that fort in the south, very simplistic and empty I've always felt there should be something more there, don't know what.

Trassian

This is a great map, especially the city and I see lots of advantages to it, I know you said not to say this but I truly believe this map could benifit from having a storage in the city, it just takes so long to get out and back in.

Also I tend to have to stay away from the insides of this map, even though I really like it because it takes so very long to load I lag out. Sometimes I sit there for like ten minutes trying to log back in and lagging while it loads until i can finally escape.

Zirakinbar

This map has lots of nice benifits, and I wish the docks linked it to more commonly used maps, that might draw me there more often. Also, I haven't been there in awhile, but I know the castle was closed off for some sort of update to it, not sure if its back yet but I used to like that castle and go there from time to time.

Kusamura

Unless I'm taking a trip to the ti caves and thats the fastest way I have absolutely no reason to visit that map, so far as I have discovered there isn't much there but trees and animals. I think a nice place to mix something would help that map.

Hurquin

I don't get it, you keep saying hurquin gets no traffic, but I see a decent amount of people there quite often, at the very least passing through. I'm not really a fighter so I don't know what's needed but I know there are some monster spawns in the crypt, perhaps add some other monster spawns.

Sedicolis

This is another map where I see a decent amount of people here, fighting the goblins, perhaps mixing FEs, If you sell FEs to an NPC thats a great place to do it with the magic shop near by, and there's a storage handy in palon vertas, and quite a nice shortcut back.

One thing that I think causes some maps to never be used is the fact no one knows about the great things they have to offer. I'm not saying we should all run around and share the best locations with everyone, I like some of my favorite locations because no one knows about them :P . But to some extent I think some maps just need a bit of advertising, like a contest hosted on them that makes you use what is there and just shows people the obvious things on the map, I know I hear people saying things like 'Hurquin? whats on that map anyway, might as well never visit it,' people sometimes just don't realize maps they don't visit have benifits to offer, they figure they should just follow everybody else to the hot spots even if they aren't the best.

Edited by Enly

The maps you mentioned are on Irillion. I think that you could get more people to Irillion if the passage from WSC to Port Anitora would be marked on the map, and kind of easily visible. That would make the Irillion less secret (though it is not a secret now).

What concerns the maps...

Iscalrith is atm my meat-hunting place, and I like it very much. There are only a few yetis and I can usually dodge them easily without any mm or diss rings. Some tigers or other critters would maybe make that map a little more interesting, but, due to the yetis, only a little bit more interesting.

The really boring part of Iscalrith is the Iscalrith City. It has few yeti spawns in caves, but either most players don't know about them or they aren't needed now. Some of the caves are really unused. Maybe a magic train area are could be established there, or some other training spots with tigers, polars or leopards or some monsters. These caves are small so they might become nice training places, if you wouldn't get lost there. Maybe the caves could have also a more interesting color than blueish-white :P

Irinveron - it is to big to hunt animals. The yeti cave is known among the players, so maybe the map is not that bad. I can see 2 small improvements: the teleports should be marked on the bmp map, so the Irinveron storage would be an option for people harvesting in north-west Glacmor, and the southern passage between Irinveron and Glacmor should also be marked.

Trassian - Theres a place where I get a msg "Enjoy the orc", but there is no orc. Another msgs - "Ogres!...", "Enjoy the ogre", but no ogres. I think someone may train there, there is some demand for orc and ogres.

Zirakinbar - I think it is a nice place to hunt black bears, only the hobgoblins may be a little annoying. The map may be also to big for hunting, it is not divided by any river or mountain range.

As someone mentioned - more taverns, shops etc. Some of the maps have shops marked on the map, but there is no NPC. It is really a shame that I need to walk to Palon Vertas or Idaloran from the Willowvine Cave to buy a pickaxe.

I got abit carried away, and I came up with another 2 or 3 ideas (they should go to the suggestions forum, but hey, they'll get forgotten here as well):

*Certain places that give a "buff" for some more time than 10 minutes for not an very expensive price, actually free or almost free.

*Automatic events announced or a special channel, something like a "special joker" spawn, or an invasion, or something that would make some players run to a map, and maybe would make them stay around that map for more time, so they'd be closer when the event happens. Actually I don't like most of the automatic or partially-automatic (ndd) invasion, but who knows.

I know some of the suggestions might make the game to easy, and I'm not going to talk much about it here, but if you'd like to discuss my ideas you can send me a pm. I'm sorry for any mistakes in my English.

almost all of the maps in this thread are actually great if youre motivated enough to go out exploring to see whats there.

storage is never more than a minute away if you use the teleportals room

the key to using these maps efficiently is bag mixing. i can teleport with food + a low weight ingredient and then harvest the rest i need on site, mix directly, then return. this method generates more gc/hour since i waste very little time muling.

personally as a user of these maps i want to keep them low-traffic. i consider it my reward for exploring that i can enjoy them in solitude (no bagjump risk)