Eternal Lands Official Forums
Acelon

Making maps more used..

Making resources exhaustible or making them move is a huge mistake. EL is already a hugely challenging game. Look at the resources required to simply make the higher level items. Making the game harder than it already is will simply drive away most of the players. Getting resources is already made difficult by adding higher level spawns in certain maps and by limiting access to storage. The hazardous storages are very good example of the game being made much more difficult without reducing the available resources.

Limiting resources without variable respawn times gives massive advantages to the time zones that get to them first. Moving resources means you spend more time exploring than doing anything else. Haven't me noticed that the majority of the players don't explore? This idea would chase away the majority of the players. Limiting resources with variable respawn times combined with astrology could make harvesting nearly impossible. These ideas would fundamentally change EL in ways the majority of the players would find objectionable.

Strategy is added for making resources more difficult to access and that is the way the game should work. Changing the maps and adding resources should fix most maps. Added spawns with map changes as well as NPCs and possible partial storages will fix others. NPCs, map changes, added spawns, added resources and partial storages can fix any low traffic area in the game.

Tirun

I tinhk you're lookign at this from a narrow perspective. for one: Recipes, XP, prices etc would have to be re-evaluated to suit the new degree of diffuclty of obtaining the resources.

Two: Crap about time zones is an grosse exageration, the wait on resources would have to be 6 horus or more for this to be true.

and thirdly: Players dont explore because they dont have to, like all life they fall into the most convenient path that lay before them. People dont come on here 'not to explore', what a proposterous idea. They come to play the game 'Eternal Lands', and if this change means a stronger economy, then im pretty sure most players would support it. REMEMBERING that changes would have to be made to xp, monies and manufacturing recipes.

Even though you have already listed some stuff, here are 2 from me. I really like the KJ and Trassarian maps, but I have found both of them difficult to use.

KJ

There are 4 areas in KJ, with one sub area that I think need some

spawn organization. When KJ first came out, it was actually great for

training, but with updates that went away.

Irillion entrance area to the rivers - This area used to have a cyclops,

some orcs, and pandas. It was excellent for 70s level training. Put

this back, but keep the spawns from crossing the river.

Left bank - This has the abandoned village. Very cool map! No usable

spawns, however. Add fc's to this side, like 4 or 5. Make a double

spawn in the village. Keep the spawns from crossing the river.

Right bank - This area is also an excellent map. Many just interesting

and creative features. Add like 5 feros spawns to this area. Make a double

spawn in the grotto. Also, keep the spawns on this side of the river.

The other area - This is one of the best maps in the game. But there is

nothing there. I would suggest a double fluff spawn, and maybe a

double DC spawn at the end of the quest.

If you do this, I would not put storage or an NPC on the map. However, it

would serve 2 purposes. 1. Increase traffic in KJ. 2. Add some desperately

needed high level spawn training areas.

Trassarian - Dra syn - This is another just excellent creative map. It is

a great place to train in the 30s and 40s a/d. Snow leopards give good

XPs at this point and their bones/meat/furs are easily sold for gold. The

polar bears are a nice transition that keeps the map going for some, but

polar bears are not as lucrative.

I think the Trassarian portion is fine the way it is. If people are not using it,

they are missing something very good.

The Dra syn area is different. The area is like a maze, but with no reward. Also

it is very difficult to get into and out of. A few things to increase traffic here:

Add resources to make some essies or pots, say 2 close areas to make Magic

essies, and 2 close areas to make BRs.

Add a storage in Dra syn. With the difficulty to get into and out of Dra syn, the

use of the area by 'average' emu players will be very restricted.

Add a Dra syn ring or portal room point - basically be able to get directly into

Dra syn more easily.

Add a triple white tiger spawn in Dra syn.

Alright, I have gotten some of the edits OKied, and I will have them finished and ready for the update soon. Here's a brief list so far (just because I didn't mention your idea doesn't mean it won't be used).

A boat link between South Redmoon and Zirakinbar.... and also one between Irsis and Zirakinbar

Easier entrance to Zirakgunda from the city, and the current way will be a secret entrance from another map.

Level based arenas in Zirakinbar and Kusamura

An entrance to Dra Syn caves from Iscalrith Storage and back

There are a few more we're still discussing, but these are the ones I am working on now :icon13:

These sound great. Thanks. :pickaxe: The better connections for Dra Syn, Zirakinbar and Ziragunda would mean no new storages would be needed for those high-resource maps for the foreseeable future.

Also, please keep the new NPCs ideas in mind. I really like your fur trader and arms buyer ideas. I'm assuming that they won't overlap their C1 counterparts, just like the bookbuyers.

Edited by peino

Alright, I have gotten some of the edits OKied, and I will have them finished and ready for the update soon. Here's a brief list so far (just because I didn't mention your idea doesn't mean it won't be used).

A boat link between South Redmoon and Zirakinbar.... and also one between Irsis and Zirakinbar

Easier entrance to Zirakgunda from the city, and the current way will be a secret entrance from another map.

Level based arenas in Zirakinbar and Kusamura

An entrance to Dra Syn caves from Iscalrith Storage and back

There are a few more we're still discussing, but these are the ones I am working on now :icon13:

These sound great. Thanks. :pickaxe: The better connections for Dra Syn, Zirakinbar and Ziragunda would mean no new storages would be needed for those high-resource maps for the foreseeable future.

Also, please keep the new NPCs ideas in mind. I really like your fur trader and arms buyer ideas. I'm assuming that they won't overlap their C1 counterparts, just like the bookbuyers.

The new arenas would not be used if no storages near them.

Like the Naralik arena is still not as far as I know - have not been there some months but used to harvest iron in the catacombs.

The new arenas would not be used if no storages near them.

Like the Naralik arena is still not as far as I know - have not been there some months but used to harvest iron in the catacombs.

I was thinking about the resources in those maps for harvesting and mixing, not about the arenas. And personally, I don't think having to change maps to get to a storage is a big headache, as long as it's not a long walk to the portal/gate. That's why I use Trassian silver mine, with storage in Glacmor.

The Kusamura one is very close to the Emerald Valley entrance, so therefore close to the storage.

If I put the Zirakinbar arena near the docks, would that be used?

The Kusamura one is very close to the Emerald Valley entrance, so therefore close to the storage.

What about their bases? i mean 70's? 80's? maybe 100's?

I think it depend of what level they are for.

Many higher level fighters have hellspawn perk - or used to have - and don't use boats but teleroom.

But I think Kusamura will be ok, as the Emerald Valley storage is outdoor.

Many higher level fighters have hellspawn perk...

Isn't hellspawn supposed to be negative perk?

Are the arenas not to get people to C2 ?

Why do you think they stay NC ?

People don't reset because a new arena is made and they have to pass 3 doors to get there, they stay at the old.

Edited by Zamirah

Are the arenas not to get people to C2 ?

Why do you think they stay NC ?

People don't reset because a new arena is made and they have to pass 3 doors to get there, they stay at the old.

I do not deny that arenas are needed in C2 to attract people. But it seems a little odd to adjust it to people, who took negative perk deliberately and knowing it will hinder them. What do I get for not taking the perk? It just seems a bit unfair to those people, who are not burdened with negative perks, that's all.

It just seems a bit unfair to those people, who are not burdened with negative perks, that's all.

Its ur choice to take perk or not... Seems all fair to me... :P

But it seems a little odd to adjust it to people, who took negative perk deliberately and knowing it will hinder them.

It don't hinder them, it hinder the arena in being used.

People use the best place for them, why go to a hard to get to place ?

As mentioned by others, the best way to get people to Irillion, and then to the maps you listed, would be to make Irillion easier to get to. Add a boat to Portland, or Tarsengaard, maybe tirnym if it's suitable. Geographically and economically, in a real world sense, Lakeside would probably be the best place, as Irillion is South East of Seridia. But, that would have newbies hopping there all the time, so it may not be best for the game. The destination port in Irillion would be Anitoria, Irinveron, or Irsis (Which suddenly gives me the idea of multiple boats between the continents). The dragon jet plane could be made to serve another purpose (something related to the scifi world?), if not keep its current one after losing or reducing the fee.

On another note, we've got all these schools for the skills(I don't know if there're any in the maps you listed, pardon me if there aren't), and other points of interest with nothing to do at them. Once they've got the useful things which were their purpose, skill-related NPCs, quest elements, whatever, people will go.

Edited by Hazor

Why do i mostly stay on C1?

1) My bot is there, i have to restock it once or twice a day.

2) The Wraith is there.

3) Tankel is there.

4) Kelcha is there.

5) The Winery is there.

6) The Hazmat storage is easier to get to.

7) Resources are closer to storage. Example: Compare diamonds in WS or SKF with diamonds in Idalorain.

8) The maps are smaller. I know, i could use rings to go fast to other maps or the teleporters room, but that costs money compared to just walk.

9) C1 is more safe, when you have decent levels. Why look in the face of a grinning chimmie or yeti, when you just can go to safe maps to get stuff?

10) And, yes, the 100gc to go there. i wont beam back to C1 to restock my bot for a profit of 50 or 100gc, when i have to pay 100gc again to get back to C2 or use a ring which costs more than 100gc.

Piper

Why do i mostly stay on C1?

1) My bot is there, i have to restock it once or twice a day.

2) The Wraith is there.

3) Tankel is there.

4) Kelcha is there.

5) The Winery is there.

6) The Hazmat storage is easier to get to.

7) Resources are closer to storage. Example: Compare diamonds in WS or SKF with diamonds in Idalorain.

8) The maps are smaller. I know, i could use rings to go fast to other maps or the teleporters room, but that costs money compared to just walk.

9) C1 is more safe, when you have decent levels. Why look in the face of a grinning chimmie or yeti, when you just can go to safe maps to get stuff?

10) And, yes, the 100gc to go there. i wont beam back to C1 to restock my bot for a profit of 50 or 100gc, when i have to pay 100gc again to get back to C2 or use a ring which costs more than 100gc.

Piper

I'll work on that.

Just something quick to toss in here, I think Hurquin is fine, people just havn't yet realized how nice a source of food, bones, and ferans horns is there, not to mention it's great for training if you can do ferans :P

OK, I already showed myself to be mistaken about Kusamura, but at the risk of sounding dumb again, doesn't Zirakinbar already have a PK area in the crypt? It used to, anyway.

Also, I agree about making C2 easier to get to. If it's not time yet, it will be soon -- at least for a nice big sign to the Lakeside boat, if not multiple boats. Personally, I'd love a second link between Portland and Irsis, but that's just because of the backstory for my character. :)

I can see the sense in the_piper's list of reasons to stay in C1. I tend to split my time between C1 and C2, but I spend long periods in each place, rather than go back and forth frequently, because it's not hugely convenient until I can cast intercontinental teleport spell.

I use C1 to harv most of my minerals, iron and silver for my own use at DP, to mine and sell diamonds and titanium, to train on orcs because there are many spawns to pick from, and to sell low end weapons and books.

I use C2 to sell high end plants in Irsis, which I harvest in both continents, to mine and sell titanium, to mine gems that I'll sell when I return to C1, to hunt cats for meat, furs, and feran horn, and to train on armed gobs and hobgobs, again because there are plenty of spawns, and to sell medallions and high end books.

I'll spend a few in-game weeks in each continent before switching again.

I tinhk you're lookign at this from a narrow perspective. for one: Recipes, XP, prices etc would have to be re-evaluated to suit the new degree of diffuclty of obtaining the resources.

Two: Crap about time zones is an grosse exageration, the wait on resources would have to be 6 horus or more for this to be true.

and thirdly: Players dont explore because they dont have to, like all life they fall into the most convenient path that lay before them. People dont come on here 'not to explore', what a proposterous idea. They come to play the game 'Eternal Lands', and if this change means a stronger economy, then im pretty sure most players would support it. REMEMBERING that changes would have to be made to xp, monies and manufacturing recipes.

I am looking at it from a realistic perspective since as you pointed out the entire game would have to be completely reprogrammed and that. Acelon pointed out we are trying to avoid that.

How long are you suggesting is a fiar wait for the resources? If the time is not long enough then it won't make any difference at all. This also requires a great deal of programming no matter how you look at it.

Do you know how many players go on the test server when new stuff is added and radu does not ask for help? I know that it is next to none because I do actually go there to check out updates. I was one of the first players to explore Irilion when they first made it because exploring was worth the 1K to me for the trip. Trust me there were not a whole lot of people exploring then either. I have explored almost all of EL and I know a lot of the secrets too and there are a lot of them that are rarely traveled. If people came to EL to explore the whole game they would. They don't.

If Entropy says he will rewrite the whole game to fix the economy your ideas might get considered but really they are not on topic in this thread.

Tirun

Acelon those are great additions and I am really looking forward to the other changes too. This going to make so many more maps useful and so many more players in Irilion it will be fantastic. :) I almost never go back to Seridia except when I absolutely have to. Wraith, wine, leather, quartz, diamonds, rose quartz and phantom warriors and a few other spawns. Any help with those things in Irilion would be great but we can wait for more good stuff since we are getting so much good stuff already. :) Thank you so very much. :)

Tirun

Also, I agree about making C2 easier to get to. If it's not time yet, it will be soon -- at least for a nice big sign to the Lakeside boat, if not multiple boats. Personally, I'd love a second link between Portland and Irsis, but that's just because of the backstory for my character. :)

Even as more than just a backstory for Peino, I don't think it's a bad choice. Irsis has only one other usable boat, but was obviously designed as a port-city, as was Portland.

Anyway, I also agree with Piper that I will stay on C1 for a very long time mostly because of wine, leather, wraith, and accessibility. When I go to C2, it is for very specific purposes that I know will take longer than a day (HE for example) and are worth spending the money either for the ring or for the boat fare and that long walk.

The other reason is beam. I know it was mentioned already, but I'd love a second beam spot (ie the cemetery in Idaloran) for when you are on C2, but this should probably be voted on if enough people are interested because I'm sure there are many who would disagree with me.

C2 really is beautiful and lot of fun to explore, so I'm glad you've opened up this discussion, Ace.

A comment on the making c2 easier to get to...

I really think its good the way it is, i mean really 100gc isn't that much (of course there are anti people but its a neg perk) and it deters newbies from going there... I'd really hate to see new people taking the boat from portland to irsis wandering far dying of heat/cold/monsters without ever really knowing what was going on. I suppose I could see taking the price away from the NPC and just making it a free trip, but I really don't think there should be obvious boats from portland to irsis, at least not yet in my opinion.

Acelon: I know that you had mentioned having another NPC on C2 similar to Trik who buys other types of weapons/armors. I was just curious about whether this was one of the things that "were in progress," or something that was definitely not going to be done?

Edited by LevinMage

OK, I already showed myself to be mistaken about Kusamura, but at the risk of sounding dumb again, doesn't Zirakinbar already have a PK area in the crypt? It used to, anyway.

I can see the sense in the_piper's list of reasons to stay in C1. I tend to split my time between C1 and C2, but I spend long periods in each place, rather than go back and forth frequently, because it's not hugely convenient until I can cast intercontinental teleport spell.

I use C1 to harv most of my minerals, iron and silver for my own use at DP, to mine and sell diamonds and titanium, to train on orcs because there are many spawns to pick from, and to sell low end weapons and books.

I use C2 to sell high end plants in Irsis, which I harvest in both continents, to mine and sell titanium, to mine gems that I'll sell when I return to C1, to hunt cats for meat, furs, and feran horn, and to train on armed gobs and hobgobs, again because there are plenty of spawns, and to sell medallions and high end books.

I'll spend a few in-game weeks in each continent before switching again.

I'm talking about level based arenas, not plain PK areas :)