Eternal Lands Official Forums
Acelon

Making maps more used..

The wraith on c2 was also denied a while ago... that's going to remain a c1 thing unless something changes.

Well.. I've been thinking a little, what about adding somekind of "race" based areas on the maps? For example certain areas is only avaiable for dwarfs, some for elfs etc? Like having special storage that all has some slight extra benefit?

There is no need to make this change on maps that works fine, but in the uncrowded ones perhaps this could be a little experimented? Like Willowine forest, there could be some sort of an "elf" base there with partial storage and some merchanting spots.. And some other dwarfish map could have a similar thing.. This way perhaps there could be some fun race RPG added into the game, like many other mmorpg's have. I'm not suggesting the benefits being so huge that people will change race just because of this though.

We want to know other ways to fix it as well.. not just programming stuff :D
Sorry but what involves programming?

* editing maps

* adding/moving resources

* invasions

* adding npc

is this all programming?

I bolded which doesn't require programming :P

It would be good if Willowvine could be split up or something to make the fchim spawns easier to find.

I been training there sometimes, I know there are at least 3 fchims but even if I looked a lot have I only found 2 spawns.

And if I find a fchim is it impossible to know which spawn it come from.

So can take hours to find a spawn.

The big trees don't make it better, have to turn the map all the time to check if the chims are hiding.

Remove the 100 (1k) gc fee for the C2 ferry and open up the map so it is like all the other boats on C1. You will get lots of traffic.

If they can't afford 100 gc, do they really need to go to c2?

Remove the 100 (1k) gc fee for the C2 ferry and open up the map so it is like all the other boats on C1. You will get lots of traffic.

If they can't afford 100 gc, do they really need to go to c2?

maybe? how can u know that?

I was pennyless once and needed to go c2 :D Sux sometimes

From most of the posts, it appears there's no reason to go to most of the lesser populated maps.

Well dude... Believe me theres really much people that dont have that 100gc to spend in order to get to c2

Then that sucks for them :D

There are many places that are useful for making things which are hardly used at all. Mel caves are great for making steel/iron bars, as is ziragunder. AA cave is good for LE and countless others (some of which are secrets).

I can only guess that people would rather use other places because they are unaware of the alternatives. Some of the alternatives I have found myself, some I have been told of, but importantly many I have found through contests.

Several times I have seen hurquin mentioned as an under-explored island. It probably is, but nothing IMO needs doing here - there is a constant supply of meat and bones for anyone who wants to come and pick it up, a cave with safe armed orcs (nothing else there that would hurt you) and maybe other stuff I don't know about. not bad for a small map!

Maybe contests to get people exploring these quieter locations ( and also putting things there WORTH finding if they are not already there) would work well.

Look at Arius - one of my favourite maps which was deserted for a LONG time. Suddenly it is busy, because recently there is plenty there for astro and summoning, and to an extent engineering.

So for me the solution is simply put things there worth travelling for, and a way to make sure people know it is there.

Well dude... Believe me theres really much people that dont have that 100gc to spend in order to get to c2

Then that sucks for them :P

Exactly :D

Alot of people are saying that shops that buy specific items for a specificly high price would solve traffic problems, on the other hand, perhaps you could have specific shops in specific locations that sell items at a specifclly low price? I think traffic problems arent fixable with a quick solution, something needs to be done about the way the game works in term of economy structure (and how resources are obtained: 1st hand, 2nd hand, NPC). Perhaps readressing the idea of limited resources and starting from there?

Of course from here where does one go? Limited resources fixes two problems really: It would mean that people would have to spread to different sites once a site is depleted to obtain their resources, spreading traffic. It also means that there is NOT an unlimited source of potential GC (if somone would like to expand on this that would be great! but basically in theory this would help build a stronger economy?of course NPC prices, market prices etc would need to be re-evaluated[on a second note, fluxuating NPC prices could help with this issue too.]),

Shop Prices: Fluid NPC Shop Prices (selling&buying) would actually have a similar effect to limited resources in the fact that the more of an item an NPC has the less GC the NPC will buy them for. So therefore it would pay to go to a low traffic area to sell one's goods.

In terms of buying items, not many people purchase from NPCs because for one, they do not have what they need OR, two what they have is purchasable in the player market for a fraction of a the cost. So how do we fix this? NPC prices that adjust according to the player market prices. (Of course, fluxuating NPC prices that are relevant to the market prices would take some logistical genius, bots, monitoring, percentages, averages. But im pretty sure it can be done.) Limited shop resources should be in place, the lower the stock, the higher the price.(another way of shifting traffic elsewhere)

Some NPCs could sell specific items cheaper than the norm, most importantly, resource/base materials. This should lure people to particular areas, prices in for specific resources from particular NPCs could be cheaper by about %5-10 of the average market price.

Discuss. Sorry if some of this doesnt make sense, I will make amendments soon.

However , that still leaves some maps (PK maps excluded) like Irinveron, Iscalrith, Trassian, Zirakinbar, and Kusamura with VERY low traffic. And on a lesser extent... Hurquin and Sedicolis.

1) Irinveron: As mentioned this map is too large and the teleports are placed in bad spots. Move the teleport closer to storage and closer to Glacmor. The map needs more spawns and possibly changes to make the creatures not wander over the entire map. Camps that connect to the ice caves or a fort would help with that. The lake already makes a good way to keep monsters in place. Adding resources won't help much since it is a cold map. That makes it best for fighting. You could try cave resources to bring in more mixers possibly with use of the teleporters involved.

2) Iscalrith: This math has nothing except for yeti spawns out doors. It has no NPCs and no useful ways to use the resources in the city. A partal storage in the city away from the yeti spawns might help or add some resources to make the resources there useful on spot. Harvesting to storage without a partial storage really won't work here. Make the caves that are useful easier to navigate. Useful NPCs and more resources would help.

3) Trassian: As this map is already used quite a bit and you said you have a solution already I will leave it at that. I do want to mention that the fast read library if easier to reach having some harvestable food inside might make it more attractive than Glacmor.

4) Zirakinbar: Previously a high traffic map. Better boats from here to other maps would be awesome. As would be reopening the castle. Adding an easier way to get FEs to Zirakgunda would be a huge boon to this map especially if Zirakgunda were at least a little easier to get to. Making the bear spawns closer together would help here too. Move the teleporters a little to make it a little easier to get to the docks.

5) Kusamura: How about adding a partial storage and a camp fire? If you could store all of those furs and bones while being able to cook the meat and having the hot springs I think this maps could have a lot of traffic. It would be much more than putting tougher monsters back in since the map is so huge and they would be so hard to find anyway. This would leave any possible future secrets accessible and still increase traffic. Getting the spawns to roam closer to the hot springs via map changes could be another answer.

6&7) Hurquin could use something to make besides potions. Making vials there would make a huge change in the traffic on the map. A camp fire here might be of some benefit as well. Sedicolis could use something besides FEs to be made. Something to do with the yarrow might be nice. NPCs will help a lot of course and this map could even be made larger with more spawns as well since it is so small.

Tirun

Making resources exhaustible or making them move is a huge mistake. EL is already a hugely challenging game. Look at the resources required to simply make the higher level items. Making the game harder than it already is will simply drive away most of the players. Getting resources is already made difficult by adding higher level spawns in certain maps and by limiting access to storage. The hazardous storages are very good example of the game being made much more difficult without reducing the available resources.

Limiting resources without variable respawn times gives massive advantages to the time zones that get to them first. Moving resources means you spend more time exploring than doing anything else. Haven't me noticed that the majority of the players don't explore? This idea would chase away the majority of the players. Limiting resources with variable respawn times combined with astrology could make harvesting nearly impossible. These ideas would fundamentally change EL in ways the majority of the players would find objectionable.

Strategy is added for making resources more difficult to access and that is the way the game should work. Changing the maps and adding resources should fix most maps. Added spawns with map changes as well as NPCs and possible partial storages will fix others. NPCs, map changes, added spawns, added resources and partial storages can fix any low traffic area in the game.

Tirun

2) Iscalrith: This math has nothing except for yeti spawns out doors. It has no NPCs and no useful ways to use the resources in the city. A partal storage in the city away from the yeti spawns might help or add some resources to make the resources there useful on spot. Harvesting to storage without a partial storage really won't work here. Make the caves that are useful easier to navigate. Useful NPCs and more resources would help.

Iscalrith : Not only outdoor yeti spawns, 4 more yetis now.

An NPC in the fort, don't remember which.

The storage is used a lot.

People who train in Hulda use the storage too.

Many pass there or go there to get bones or meat.

I'm sometimes killing yetis outdoor and see many players going to storage.

I been thinking that it would be nice if we could buy cheap mead and ale, like the wine in MM.

Make a quest or 2 on C2 and make the mead and ale sellers on 2 different maps.

I know it would be some work to make it.

Alright, it sounds like we need two new NPCs.

One is a NPC who will buy the new animal items (Such as leopard fur, polar bear fur, feran horns, feathers, etc).

Another NPC who buys weapons and armors like trik. Which ones were you guys thinking of?

So Hurquin or Kusamura would be best for the fur trader... and the armor NPC would be good for irinveron or iscalrith. Give me your thoughts.

Oh and stop suggesting quests. That requires programming, and they aren't possible to do now due to lack of server programmers

Edited by Acelon

The NPCs selling to anti people won't happen. The perk is negative for a reason :)

lol agreed hehe anti wasnt even so bad when you know people not anti but adding the 15Kgc to aquire was a smart idea hehe.

Alright, it sounds like we need two new NPCs.

One is a NPC who will buy the new animal items (Such as panda fur, polar bear fur, feran horns, feathers, etc).

Another NPC who buys weapons and armors like trik. Which ones were you guys thinking of?

So Hurquin or Kusamura would be best for the fur trader... and the armor NPC would be good for irinveron or iscalrith. Give me your thoughts.

Oh and stop suggesting quests. That requires programming, and they aren't possible to do now due to lack of server programmers

Hurquin is already higher traffic then Kusamura and there are more animals running around in Kusamura. Puting the fur trader there close to the EVTR exit would also give people the opportunity to haul from storage to sell as well. That is by far the better place for the fur trader.

Irinveron is the only choice for the trik like NPC. It has the new manu school, It has no yetis running around and has a lot of places close to storage because of the teleporters which IMO should still be moved around. Iscalrith would be too hard to reach if it was in the city and too dangerous outside and there is no manu school.

Tirun

For Zirakinbar, what about an NPC (either in Zirakinbar or Zirakgunda) that sells some of the stuff that is now only sold in WS map - I'm thinking Hammer and Wood Handle - seems that the local residents shouldn't have to get their supplies from White Stone.

Kusamura is a pretty good place for training and hunting for meat/bones at the right levels . . . and the EVTR storage isn't that far away . . . and you can walk there from Idaloran without going through dangerous regions . . . . It doesn't have much in the way of harvestables except for poison ivy. Perhaps a cave with an ogre spawn or something along those lines would draw more traffic.

Alright, I have gotten some of the edits OKied, and I will have them finished and ready for the update soon. Here's a brief list so far (just because I didn't mention your idea doesn't mean it won't be used).

A boat link between South Redmoon and Zirakinbar.... and also one between Irsis and Zirakinbar

Easier entrance to Zirakgunda from the city, and the current way will be a secret entrance from another map.

Level based arenas in Zirakinbar and Kusamura

An entrance to Dra Syn caves from Iscalrith Storage and back

There are a few more we're still discussing, but these are the ones I am working on now :)

Edited by Acelon

Everyone complains about animals and monsters wandering away from their spawns. How about limiting how far a creature can travel from it's spawn as opposed to it traveling all over a map. The travel area could be large enough to make it challenging but not encompassing the whole map.

Everyone complains about animals and monsters wandering away from their spawns. How about limiting how far a creature can travel from it's spawn as opposed to it traveling all over a map. The travel area could be large enough to make it challenging but not encompassing the whole map.

Not possible, and won't happen. It would make things waaaay to easy.

Not to mention that's a programming thing, and this isn't for programming suggestions ;)