Eternal Lands Official Forums
Acelon

Making maps more used..

I have an idea to get more ppl to c2 and it requires absolutely no programming.

Events!!!! Have more events taking place on various parts of c2. I dont mean the usual "manhunt" kind either. There could be tag events.. scavenger hunts.. hunting a particular beastie or monster etc.

My other idea would require programming... resources.

As an example... the new tailoring skill has lots of new potential things to make. How bout adding ummm feather or fur dying. Add a new animal or two on some of these maps that drop fur or feathers specifically for the tailoring skill. This would also require new books, take more gc out of the game and we players could have some really interesting clothing.

If every c2 map had at least one resource not available anywhere else in Draia that would take care of the low population of c2. But please don't do that... its just an idea and one I dont want u taking seriously lol.

tbh most of the maps your talking about arent getting that much traffic because of high lvl monsters ...

not every player has mm cape or perk so there is no point exploring when we can sit safly on C1 with most maps not having a yeti coming to rape us every 5 minutes...

another is that you start on ip..do the whole serdian journy to get to know most parts of c1 and some of what is has to offer. maybe something similar for c2 maps but send ppl to useful resources? maybe get them to make an item round there? (not every map of course)

take the charge out of c2 npc or as some1 said earlyer a beam me command to c2?the island in ida which used to be respwn point when c2 was 1st made could be used for this.

sort of another quote make it an option for new players to start on c2 when they create thier players?

some spwns are in high demand and always have been ... ogres orcs which always seem to get pushed aside for more fluffs or yetis that alot of people cant even go close to as getting past lvl 50-70a/d is hard as spwns are so crowded. not saying we want the easy route out tho..as for example when i do get chance to play/train it's usualy for a few hours straite :)

thats all the stuff i can think of that needs programing apart from a few things i dont see the need to add as they have been said over and over.

the none programing route would be to tell people about what is on c2. especialy those maps with no traffic ..for example i didnt know willow had caves....been there once before and couldnt find anything.

k saying that i guess i'll start to a point of not giving everything away

glac has an npc that buys meds great for gc and crafting :)

tres cave is a good place to make HE if you have the time not to make a sto

irsis has an npc which buys higher lvl flowers for 1g each

mels has some good spwns in place not saying which or where tho :)

btw this was no flame and before i do for spelling grammer i'm tired and drunk :P so ......

1) Not enough people. Advertise!!! I don't think newbies starting out on channel 4 should be asking "What's C2?" The continents of Irilion and Seridia should be in all the game info for newbs as well as more seasoned players. Radu said a long time ago that it's not "classified" anymore.

2) C2 needs NPCs. There are still empty shops, and that can get really annoying. Maps like Melinis, Arius, Sedicolis, Irsis, and others, already have a lot going on and need only to have their taverns and/or general stores activated to make them ideal spots for mixing various things.

3) NPCs that are unique to the continent are good. So far, as far as I know, C2 has the Irsis flower shop, the high end bookbuyer, and a medallions buyer, as well as the NPCs on Annitora. Trik and the low end bookbuyer NPCs cover C1. How about a couple more, to encourage transcontinental travel? Maybe Henrik the fur trader could pay good prices for furs that only come from C2, for example? Does Harvy buy gypsum, which also only comes from C2? Are there any resources that only come from C1 that NPCs could pay decent gc for in C2?

4) I like the idea of a C2 beam, if you want to encourage newer players (who can't afford rings) to go there.

About specific maps:

5) Zirakinbar -- I wish the castle would reopen. That was very popular, and since it closed, traffic in Zir has gone waaaay down. Also, Ziragunda is a complicated place. It either needs its own storage or faster, more obvious connections to maps that do have storages.

6) Kusamura -- Not much to do there. I just use it as a connector and for the hot springs. I'm often the only person there. It used to be more popular when it had chims in it. I'd like to see another aggressive monster there for training, and maybe an arena -- there is a secret place there that might be a good spot to put an arena, so long as it doesn't block access to another secret feature. Ace, you should know what I'm talking about.

7) Irinveron -- more animals, please. I like to hunt meat and snow leopard furs there because it's convenient to get to, but beasts are precious few for the size of the map.

6) The Trassian and Iscalrith cities -- There is little reason to go to them or stay in them. There has to be something to do there, and some support for those activities, or why should people bother with them?

6) Kusamura -- Not much to do there. I just use it as a connector and for the hot springs. I'm often the only person there. It used to be more popular when it had chims in it. I'd like to see another aggressive monster there for training, and maybe an arena -- there is a secret place there that might be a good spot to put an arena, so long as it doesn't block access to another secret feature. Ace, you should know what I'm talking about.

I may be confusing maps, so someone correct me if I speak wrongly, but doesn't Kusamura have an arena? A very arena looking arena if I remember right :)

6) The Trassian and Iscalrith cities -- There is little reason to go to them or stay in them. There has to be something to do there, and some support for those activities, or why should people bother with them?

I think Dra syn (Trassian city) does have lots of nice things in it, but it takes forever to get to the parts of the city you want to, and then a walk out again, thats why I think it could benifit greatly from a storage, especially with the mines there. Though any storage there of course should be placed a reasonable distance from the mines.

I may be confusing maps, so someone correct me if I speak wrongly, but doesn't Kusamura have an arena? A very arena looking arena if I remember right :)

It's been a while since I explored Kusamura in detail, but I do not remember anything that looked like an arena that actually said it was an arena when you walked through it. I may be wrong, though.

I think Dra syn (Trassian city) does have lots of nice things in it, but it takes forever to get to the parts of the city you want to, and then a walk out again, thats why I think it could benifit greatly from a storage, especially with the mines there. Though any storage there of course should be placed a reasonable distance from the mines.

I agree the Trassian cities do need storages because they are so cut off from the other areas, but Ace was asking for things other than adding storages, and as far as I know, there is nothing you can mine in Dra Syn that you can't mine somewhere else where it's easier to get to sto. Again, I could be wrong, but if I'm right, that's kind of what I meant by no reason to go there -- with the inconvenience, I mean. A lot of people won't hang out in a map for the non-harvesting/non-training amusements.

Edited by peino

I just visited Kusamura again, there is indeed an arena there, though very well hidden, and not the fastest arena to reach, but it is remote and has the bonus of getting less traffic because its well hidden, so kinda good place to train with buddies.

And it's a very cool arena, would be a nice location for a pk event :)

Also there is that coal cave there, I didn't thoroughly explore, but it seemed to be nothing but coal. Which isn't much good far from storage, perhaps if some iron were added there it would attract some visitors.

Also on Zirakinbar, it has several boats, but only one of them is actually connected to somewhere else (the boat to Aeth) I think the map would benefit if the other boats were connected to other maps, perhaps to the boat thats slightly seperated from the others on Idaloran docks, or a connection to the boat on South Redmoon that isn't used. In my opinion a better dock connection would make the map more connected and encourage people to go there more often.

thats becuase its confusingly hard to get to :) we are talking about Dra Sec... right ?

i think it should be easier to get to possibly through a quest? if it was free to get there and perhaps easier i think i would visit more often.

and for the partial storage idea maybe some of the maps can be deposit only.. but theres a catch! it takes a few in game days to be delivered to storage :P

the only idea that doesent involve programing is to have more events, geared towards making people more aware of c2 and its storages maybe stores and resorces?

I'd vote for adding an armor/weapons merchant like trik in for example Irinveron.. And as many people say, Eternal Lands REALLY needs more/longer/very harder quests, preferably on C2 :) It could also be good to add some low level critters that spawn and stay in a small area for gathering meat/bones etc..

Ok, going to try to respond to everything :)

Plus side.. after reading comments, I figured out a way (unsuggested) to fix Trassian. I'll leave that a surprise!

-Regarding quests. We have some in queue, but we're not writing any until the ones we have written are programmed.. and trust me.. they've been sitting around for a while. This is a seperate issue, and cannot be fixed at the moment without Radu's blessing.

-Regarding empty stores. Expect to see them filled soon. I added a bunch a few weeks ago, we just need to get them tested. Once again, need to blessings of Learner to complete this task :)

-Regarding "invisible resources". That diamond wasn't supposed to be there... it was a bug. Much like that uber area in Zirakinbar, we had to take action so it wouldn't kill the economy.

-Regarding Zirakinbar castle. I know it's taking a while, but we haven't had time to redo it yet. Basically, it is only me and sistema mapping, and there are other things that are priority first. We'll see about moving it back up.

-PK arenas are a good idea for c2. I'll see about getting a few added.

-Regarding docks. I'll see about getting some of the remaining boats hooked up.

-Regarding the messages in Trassian. Those were added without preapproval of spawns.

-Regarding c2 beam command. Bug Ent, because that's all up to him.

-Regarding special merchant NPCs.. they will be added as they are needed. However, Ent did have a thread a while ago asking for suggestions on which NPCs could be used for c2. So maybe if you guys post specifics, a good location for them, and why it's needed, then maybe he'll add them (and please be realisitc).

-Regarding the new players starting on c2.. wont happen. It's not a newbie friendly environment.

Add like 3 polar bear spawns to Dra Syn, right now there's only 1 double polar spawn, in the northern part of trass.

Watch the trainers flock there.

The arena for high levels only would also need programmed.. and is currently not possible.
How about the 100 a/d arena then?

The cap is great but my 100 a/d arena idea is still ultra pr0, any map that got that would be used.

Some Feros in Kusa would rock.

I would like to suggest a arena that is ONLY for HIGH lvl fighters. One in which you cannot attack OR be attacked unless you have a 70s or higher a/d.
And btw Paul, what exactly would be the point of this arena? :) Edited by Korrode

Ok, well let me start off by saying, in my opinion, harvesters and mixers do not explore much on a routine basis. They find resources they need, close to storage, mark them, and, in most cases, move between said resource and storage without paying much attention to the map. I know I do.

It's the explorers looking around, and fighters tracking down a critter who wandered off spawn who wander looking at maps. And once a new, great resource is found near a storage, it's leaked to the harvers/mixers, who mark it, and continue as stated above.

Even partial storages would just be a mark on a map, and a deposit site. I don't really think it would encourage map use, other then from point A to point B. (Now a pot/essence retrieval near less used spawns is another case, and may encourage map use, I'm just talking in regard to harv/mix)

Now, one way to make people wander would be moving resources on certain maps, sometimes they could pair up for a time to be a great asset, sometimes not. And could fit in the role playing, Plants/mushrooms often grow in different areas, or even have resources be able to be overharvested and disappear, to come back after X time. Would be tougher to roleplay minerals, which is what most people harv/mix the most...

Another option, once again on selected maps, would be a wandering storage. Remember when Raven moved toward the center of WS, and then there was a lot of people there due to the very close location to some flowers? Then Raven moved again, which everyone knew would happen, which was why people were sitting there harving while they could. Imagine if a storage on select C2 maps moved every game day, would be like a joker hunt, and if the new location was in a great spot, word would spread, people would come, day would end, storage moves, and the search begins again to see if it's in a good or bad spot...

I know you said no programming additions, but if you want people to explore a map, you need to make what people are looking for to move, and sometimes reward them if they find it. Imagine a storage right next to a sulf cave for 6 hours, or iron, diamonds, or whatever...

Just adding my two cents, and feel free to disagree...

Well i guess you can put a storage at naralik because there are a large variety of herbs and the catacombs are a good place to training. so it can be usefull for all travelers and fighters.

:)

Well i guess you can put a storage at naralik because there are a large variety of herbs and the catacombs are a good place to training. so it can be usefull for all travelers and fighters.

:)

Rather that giving a sarcastic response.. I'm not worried about c1 maps. We're talking about the maps in my first post, and no more storage is needed on c1.

Add like 3 polar bear spawns to Dra Syn, right now there's only 1 double polar spawn, in the northern part of trass.

Watch the trainers flock there.

The arena for high levels only would also need programmed.. and is currently not possible.
How about the 100 a/d arena then?

The cap is great but my 100 a/d arena idea is still ultra pr0, any map that got that would be used.

Some Feros in Kusa would rock.

Well there is really a lack of Feros Spawns i think... So some more feros spawns will be pr0 as my boss said...

I dont really mine/alch but some more mines and flowers (i mean silver and chry or all quartz and iron ore) that are close to eachother will encourage people to go there too...

As my job in EL is PK, so i would talk about PK to increase traffic in C2.

1.Going back to C1 for PK SUX

2.Every 10 a/d Arenas would be ubersuper pr0 (i mean 40's 50's 60's etc.. till 120's 'that means like 8 arenas total :) ')

3.As Zami told. Maybe some NPC in PK's that sells to Anti peop :)

I ll add some more too when the ideas come into my mind ;)

Sounds like most people are agreeing on more resources and more special areas. I don't think this will work because everyone will always pick the best place to do something and stay there. Also, to me, it sounds like players are only looking to make things easier for themselves. Considering the recent inclusion of attribute caps and skills that are harder to level, we shouldn't be making the map layouts easier either.

I suggest moving elements which make maps popular to these low traffic maps. Many high traffic maps have multiple uses. Take Palon Vertas, for example, it has the closest cotton to storage (vegetables nearby), opportunities for PV/PK, and a cave with gold, coal and sulfur. (coal and sulfur both being in rather high demand on market). If one of these three elements that make Palon Vertas popular were to be moved to a low traffic map, I believe, it would increase the maps popularity without damaging the (originally) high traffic map - in this example Palon Vertas.

This is my idea of map balancing.

My second idea is to limit the amount which one resource (creature/harvest/npc) can be used.

For example; If one or two players buy out all Mira's Feasting Potions (I'll leave it to you guys to consider the amount she'd have for sale). Any other player would have to go to Derzelas in Irsis until Mira's amount of Potions regenerated. By making limits on creatures, harvest items and npcs, players will be forced to move! :)

On a minor scale, including an area to make silver bars and decreasing the crafting npc buy price could work to bring at least the crafters to one of these low traffic maps.

Edited by Zenial

We want to know other ways to fix it as well.. not just programming stuff :)
Sorry but what involves programming?

* editing maps

* adding/moving resources

* invasions

* adding npc

is this all programming?

What bugged me the most when I first hit C2 is, there are no descriptions for banners. So you enter a boat and have no idea where it's going unless you check every C2 map in the ency for this banner.

Kusamura

This map is simply too huge. It has very nice spawns ie double Lion (Lions are awesome) but its a real pain to find them (finding both is near impossible). If you want the spawns to be used, add some fences/gates so you don't have to look 30mins for your animal.

Trassian

It's said before make it easier to get there. Move the rare book buyer to the city.

I don't like to post because i am told my ideas are stupid, but thought i would just throw this out....

Add a Wraith on C2, perhaps in one of the lesser used maps as Ace posted...

I'm not a computer programer, so don't know if that requires programming, i just know that when i am training in C2 and it's time to spend PP's i have to burn a ring to go to IP (scotty died) or use ess's to get to wraith and spend them. Then, another ring or ess's to go back to C2 for more training.

Just a thought, sorry if it's stupid suggestion :hug:

As an alchemist who likes to mix in situ I have a deep appreciation for low traffic areas, as anyone who has tried open bag mixing on the 'highway' between Portland and Whitestone will understand.

I love the mines of Iscalrith and Trassian because they are out of the way and hard to get to and therefor sparsely populated. Sometimes the things that annoy someone are a pleasure to others. I say leave well enough alone fearing the old adage: "If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is."

I don't consider myself much of an explorer, but every once in awhile, I like to go on an adventure through a map I haven't used in awhile just to see if something new has been added or if things have changed. One thing that I've always wished for while exploring was being able to find treasure. Maybe, when a secret area has been found, or a particular desk drawer clicked on, or a certain book read, etc. a bag could randomly spawn close by with something nice in it, maybe 20gc or a ring, or something along that line. To prevent someone from simply sitting in that area and taking the treasure over and over, maybe each person is only able to find each secret once, or the treasure could only be found randomly once a day or week, or a treasure could cycle around the maps like Joker does and lays there until found.

I know there are maps like TD and KF where bags spawn, so the programming already exists for this sort of thing. No doubt it would require some modifications, but hopefully not too much.