Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Acelon

Partial Storages

As a map maker... I hate seeing a great map go unvisited due to laziness of people. People have their reasons...

No good spawns, not enough resources, or too far from storage.

I thought of a way to change that. It is unreasonable for strategy purposes to place a full storage on every map. It's basically like that on the french server, and it makes the game waaaay too easy. However, what I propose is adding partial storages to the majority of maps that don't have any storages.

Partial storages would only give you access to a couple options. Food, coins, and books would not be available at any of these storages so that real storages still have perks. But anyways, a couple options for each. For example... who is ever going to use the magic schools in Tirnym and Naralik? The storages are pretty far away for that. By added a storager NPCs (Or a teacher) that gives you access to only essences and potions would promote use of these establishments. It would also create a new type of magic PKing as well.

Another example... Hurquin is a great place for hunting, and gathering flowers, but is far from ANY storage. Making a storager with only access to flowers and animal categories would bring more people to the map.

This could also be adjusted to have the storages be withdraw only, or deposit only.

Excellent idea! Would these partial storages be linked to regular storages also?

Ideally, yes

oops sorry on same computer will post on my account

Tirun

Edited by Icy

Actually I like the deposit only idea. Then you would not have to make them any more limited than just not accepting hazardous stuff of course. Regular storages on any map that does not have one that is deposit only would be a great boon to all of the unused maps. You could limit them on types of stuff they accept but then you are telling people directly what should be harvested or fought on the maps by default.

NPCs seem better for maps like the ones you mentioned with the magic schools. If they were storages then those would have to be ones that are withdraw only for use in the schools. Those storages might need limits to avoid people using them for fighting or other stuff that is not going to really increase traffic on the map. Not sure this would work for any maps that are actually all PK though. :dry:

Tirun

I agree with Acelon. There are many uninhabited maps, especially in Irilion, which are, as Acelon said, too far away from resources, storages or anything else that attracts players.

Having partial storages in these maps sounds like a great idea which I think will influence players to enter those uninhabited areas of Draia and make them more populated.

Deposit/withdraw only storages sound interesting as well.

I like the idea :dry:

The idea you are thinking of is something like the set up of the Hazardous Storages are now?

But still accessible from Main storages.

Yes, much like that. But unlike hazardous storages, you can still deposit everything in the main storages :dry:

Maybe you could do a few skill oriented storages. As in an alch storage, or a harvest storage. You can only access the storage compartments of the topics that most pertain to that specific skill.

Maybe you could do a few skill oriented storages. As in an alch storage, or a harvest storage. You can only access the storage compartments of the topics that most pertain to that specific skill.

That was another thing I was thinking would be possible... not just calling it that :dry:

I am not sure how this can make much difference without making too much difference. Is the idea to limit the storage to exchanging only the useful items on the map, or to limit to non useful items? Either way there is not much difference to having full storage or no storage respectively. Tuning the storage so that it would be just about useful enough for people to consider using it would be enormously difficult.

Maybe a better way would be for more maps with combinations of harvestables which can be combined locally. You gave Hurquin as an example (personally hurquin is a favourite spot for me to gather meat and bones, storage is not so far away in SRM), but it does have many many animals which a reasonable fighter can kill for meat/bones. If there were silver and sunflowers there also, then it would become a great place for summoning parties. Likewise an alchemy school in a place with many many harvestables, but far from storage would be popular. Obviously care is to be taken to avoid making things too easy, but there is not always a need for storage to bring people to a map :lipssealed:

Or as an alternative, there is a charge for each time you use these storages?

If you did that, why go to them if you could go to another free?

Because that storage is faster to get to ;-)

Because that storage is faster to get to ;-)

This is in fact destroying the suggestion, because there will be access to the "not wanted" categories, and payment will keep everybody except "extremerly rich high level fighters" from using the storages.

I'm all in for this idea! I could even see this as a way of adding small trading caravans or villages of sorts.

You'd have to be careful with the catagories though, some items that would fit one catagory may be part of another instead, so it'd take a little thought to figure the best combinations of catagories. IMO though, I think food should be in every partial storage, or have a food source nearby

I'm not suggesting making new mix areas... if you keep a few categories for only main storages, gives them a use. These partial storages would be there for...

It would be good for some spots that might be great for making a certain essence or potion, but all you need is one more ingredient.

Less crowded and less laggy areas that you can collect stuff in..

You can think of more :D

I like this idea, if i know that a map with the items i want has a sto i go there even if i walk across a map with the same things on and more i ignore that so this would be a great thing to implement.

And maby only a few categorys in the sto is open at all time but you can open 1 or 2 more categorys but you would have to pay for it...

Time = gc.

While I agree with your desire to make more people want to use more maps, I also think your point about making it 'too easy' is part of the issue here. If you put partial storages in, and they're not close enough to the resources, then people won't want to use. If you put them too close, they they'll over use and it'll be to easy, so it's a very tricky balancing act.

Seidicolas for example: great place to make fire essences, if there were a storage between all the resources, however with the long walk between the resources if it's not placed just right, it won't make people go there. I don't envy the study involved in actually finding the best place for these, but I do like the idea in principal.

I'd also suggest studying the resources available in some of these maps as a reason for lack of visitors. People will always try to find the closest storage for the need and that's really got to be the determining factor here. A storage with no resource will be quite usless and resource with no storage the same.

As far as making animal/food/weapons/armor available in good hunting grounds I guess the only issue I see with that is people getting on spawns and never leaving. This might cause issues/complaints with others who'd like to have those spawn points. If there were partial storage (with the above available) in PL cave (for example) people collecting bones would never leave. This is a radical example, I realize, but to the point I hope.

Edited by DogBreath