Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sidran

Harvesting and hauling changes

What I will describe here is plain idea. But precise one. It could be branched and refined as needed. I will keep it simple and short as much as I can.

It consists of two suggestions, which are connected.

First one is to introduce different mining and harvesting mechanics. Places and infiniteness of those would stay the same. Only internal numerical properties would change, meaning the following:

1. All places would change as in astrology (in unpredictable fashion for general public).

2. Also, additional ingredient would be introduced, an almost useless one (like slug for ores and useless grass for plants).

3. Every resource source would have a ratio of RESOURCE/USELESS_CRAP at the given moment in time.

4. ~20% of all sources would be highly profitable at all times(less crap while harvesting).

5. Also improved harvesting speed should be introduced(partly-proportional to harv skill). Thats important.

6. All bags left on ground that consist only of those crap materials would disappear in ~1min to lower the pressure on server.

Second and connected idea to this is to introduce a sort of mule(one per player). Its capacity would be equal to> number_of_animal_nexuses*200. Thats just example, but my idea was that mule gets 200EMU per its owner animal nexus.

Those mentioned changes would give incentive to players to move more and explore, as that would allow them to find sweet spots which are much better then todays average. Those who do that should profit. Some other incentives connected to finding the right spots could be introduced. All this, imo, would allow for a layer of real harvesters to appear and to increase overall money flow in system. For example, more rings would be used by lazy harvesters to find right spots. Most importantly, knowing that good sources exist (you just have to find one of them) will make a much more dynamic and fun gameplay.

I will try to follow this thread in case it gets any attention, and will try to answer on all reasonable questions or suggestions.

Guest Archem

The idea is excellent. It really would make the game more realistic, and also more fun. And i think mules should be free, because newbies would have more resources harvested, before they go to the storage. It's just an suggestion, if your idea would be accepted...

-Archem

The idea is excellent. It really would make the game more realistic, and also more fun. And i think mules should be free, because newbies would have more resources harvested, before they go to the storage. It's just an suggestion, if your idea would be accepted...

-Archem

I think that whatever we suggest about prices is simply not up to us.. but I agree with you, they should be kinda free or cheap (<3000gc).. Another money sink.. If they starve near iresponsible players, that would open more potential for money going out :omg:

Perhaps not 200 per animal nexus for the mule... About 50-100, maybe less :wub: That WOULD encourage non-summoners to get the animal nexus. Plus, what would it cost to get a mule?...

Other than that, it all makes sense ^^

Those mentioned changes would give incentive to players to move more and explore

I like the idea of more spots being "sweet", but we have a few of those anyway, and it is easy to find out where they are without having to go searching. Most folks in the game are very hepful (to the credit of the community here) and once spots are initially found, the knowledge will spread very quickly.

The changing ratio of harvestable:crap is good as it could introduce another indicator stone for the engineering skill perhaps?

I love the idea of increasing harvesting speed depending on harvest level - being harv 80, that shouldn't be surprising.

I hope this thread doesn't get hijacked on the mule thing only and that all points can be considered. Being able to carry more back to storage in any one run would be nice. If they are introduced, they should be very weak meaning that the owner would have to be very careful about attacking things on the way back to storage or when harvesting, and the mule is automatically multi attack even in non-multi maps. I mention this because I, like many people, kill creatures while harvesting to relieve the boredom. There should be a downside to using the mules, not just an advantage.

I am glad that this thread managed to keep constructive tone

Ill touch some of mentioned spots, and try to explain how I envisioned it

Perhaps not 200 per animal nexus for the mule... About 50-100, maybe less. That WOULD encourage non-summoners to get the animal nexus. Plus, what would it cost to get a mule?...

Exact mule (could have a different 3D model for different tastes) capacity imo depends mainly on the way harvesting changes would take place. For example, lets take a look at possible implementation of ratio WASTE/VALUABLES. On a place that has ratio 5:1 (on 5 WASTE units comes only 1 VALUABLE) increased emu would be of no significance because you would still need more time then today to harvest needed amount. In other words, whats the point of even 5000EMU if you manage to harvest a single unit of silver in 10 seconds. On other hand, if you chose to move and test some other spots, increased harvesting speed and a ratio of 2:3 (on 2 WASTE units come 3 VALUABLES) on that other spot would feel up your increased EMU, thus rewarding you for finding it.

Increased EMU would also be highly needed as you would be positively motivated to traverse locations not so close to storage. That way, every harvest session would look more like a journey than sitting on boring spots clicking all day long.

Also guild networks would receive another purpose, to inform and spread its harvesters throughout the lands. Sharing of dynamic informations (not just static secrets) would put to test all communities.

I like the idea of more spots being "sweet", but we have a few of those anyway, and it is easy to find out where they are without having to go searching. Most folks in the game are very hepful (to the credit of the community here) and once spots are initially found, the knowledge will spread very quickly.

Those spots you call "sweet" are nothing but a static places that in more or less time get invaded by hoards of people making them pretty lame imo. Not fun. Dont forget I am one of you, this also counts me in that hoard. Your words depicts them adequately> "Easy to find, and once spots are initially found, the knowledge will spread very quickly".

The changing ratio of harvestable:crap is good as it could introduce another indicator stone for the engineering skill perhaps?

hmm.. I think some indication would be useful, tho by no means as exact as current astro stones. Possible implementation that comes to my mind would be the following> You do have a stone and when you enter CERTAIN map, you activate the stone and get a random resource on THAT map that has increased yield. For example> You enter Irsis, activate the stone and get a message> Lupines. That still means you have to find that exact bush(es), in case you do need lupines. That stone should cost at least 50gc. Tho it could mean adding of additional resource spots, such as more sulphure spots in DP.

If they are introduced, they should be very weak meaning that the owner would have to be very careful about attacking things on the way back to storage or when harvesting, and the mule is automatically multi attack even in non-multi maps. I mention this because I, like many people, kill creatures while harvesting to relieve the boredom. There should be a downside to using the mules, not just an advantage.

I see mules more as avatars shadow. Also they must be fed. Less then player, but they would die if hunger level gets below zero. As for combat, only pkers(in pk zones) would be able to attack them. No creatures would attack them. In every aspect they should act as a walking and eating bag that follows you wherever you go. That also opens up possibility for some buildings to become stables. Meaning mule storages. There, they would not lose hunger level, allowing anyone to go to battle or simply walk around without obligation.

Why bring the animal nexus into this? And you can't have 5000 emu sence the cap was added we are limited to 960emu.

This idea is pr0, i love the idea of mules, i was thinking that aswell as harv lvl changing the speed, it should also change the Harvest:crap ratio.

I dont like the idea of randomising the harvest spots, this would kill the economy, making prices uncertain and fluctuating.

Edited by simmster

Why bring the animal nexus into this? And you can't have 5000 emu sence the cap was added we are limited to 960emu.

Bringing animal nexus in it is crucial, thus making animal nexus more useful for certain purposes and bringing much needed spread of nexus desirability.

5000EMU was just an exaggerated example to show my point, I am well aware of actual restrictions.

I don't really like either of the ideas. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I am and always will be against buying mules/emu, the cap was added so people were closer together in p/c, thats why it is a good idea, and this is just a way to get around it. 960 EMU is plenty for 99.99% of the population. Also I don't think we need to add more purposes to nexus, they are good at the moment.

And with the harvesting crap idea I don't think it would really make a difference. Nearly everyone would just harvest in the current harv spots so I think it would really just be a waste of time to implement.

So IMO these ideas are not worthy of being in the game (And I don't like the idea being advertised ingame in local chat also :P )

So IMO these ideas are not worthy of being in the game (And I don't like the idea being advertised ingame in local chat also :) )

I am sorry if my messages distracted you in any way. I really try hard to mention them once in awhile and at diverse places. I would gladly hear how it could be made less distractive, while reaching active players.

Bringing animal nexus in it is crucial, thus making animal nexus more useful for certain purposes and bringing much needed spread of nexus desirability.

5000EMU was just an exaggerated example to show my point, I am well aware of actual restrictions.

imho we shouldnt need more than 10 animal nexus.

I don't get it. I have EMU under 600 and I am quite satisfied with it. Please, let the harvesting system be kept as it is now. I think it works well, why meddle with something working well?

So IMO these ideas are not worthy of being in the game (And I don't like the idea being advertised ingame in local chat also :) )

I am sorry if my messages distracted you in any way. I really try hard to mention them once in awhile and at diverse places. I would gladly hear how it could be made less distractive, while reaching active players.

Maybe you should not, I heard it too a couple of times and as I read this forum, do we not need you to spam at storages.

Have you thought over, what would happen if we all did that every time we posted here ??

Do you think you'r idea is better than others ??

So please don't.

I don't get it. I have EMU under 600 and I am quite satisfied with it. Please, let the harvesting system be kept as it is now. I think it works well, why meddle with something working well?

Steam engines were also fulfilling their purpose, but were substituted with diesel and electrical engines. I understand your (your personal and evilmangopie`s) skeptic thoughts. And I agree that some things can go wrong if we tweak them too much. But without steps forward no progress would ever be made. If we all thrive for EL to be best possible (and this is beta), we must think hard and discuss fundamental issues. Changing colors of clothes is cool and brings some very important aspects, but doesnt make the game more fun to play in essence.

Instead, I would like to hear your opinion of what could go wrong.

Maybe you should not, I heard it too a couple of times and as I read this forum, do we not need you to spam at storages.

Have you thought over, what would happen if we all did that every time we posted here ??

Do you think you'r idea is better than others ??

So please don't.

I do have a right to use all legitimate means to bring attention of people on issues I find important. But I dont have a right to do things which I know are irritating for you. And I assure you, Ill put additional effort to avoid my message being shown in your local chat. Thank you for understanding.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

This is so true, the harvest skill is fine the way it is now and these harvesting and hauling changes are not needed.

These are some good ideas you bring up, but I think the mule's EMU should not be based on animal nexus, but on how much you pay for it. IRL you would pay more for a stronger, healthier mule, horse, donkey, etc. Therefore, it may cost a certain gc per certain amount of EMU

These are some good ideas you bring up, but I think the mule's EMU should not be based on animal nexus, but on how much you pay for it. IRL you would pay more for a stronger, healthier mule, horse, donkey, etc. Therefore, it may cost a certain gc per certain amount of EMU

Great idea. I would leave animal nexus as requirement, as thats important part of improving the game. But when you reach required nexus, you must pay for mule upgrade. It opens additional options for those interested and allows for bigger money sink thanks to those irresponsible whose mules die of starvation. That could prove to be a big and functional sink, with a strong side that it avoids all those who pay effort and act responsible.