Eternal Lands Official Forums
korrode

Go PK!

Good you liked it, I guess it will be the last of the weekend NDD days.

With most of the strong people go PKing and only few trying to kill the giants.

The giants could have been killed in a few hours if all had helped, and we could all have been PKing the rest of the day.

I do understand your point and a good one it is... I think yesterdays Ida invasion was only the 2nd one that I havent taken part in ( I couldnt hit a giant before the caps and have even less chance now but normally go for the fun) , but I did think the for the first big invasion after the caps when players are still playing with there builds that giants were maybe a bit much, and that the invasion should have been something lower like Yetis just to test the water so to speak.

As Korrode mentioned about the Yeti trainers not going( or even ppl over 100 a/d who at least have a chance to hit a giant), I havent a clue why not, only they can answer that

Edited by conavar

Seeing as the topic is drifting thwards the ida invasions...

Me and Niemand spend the first hour(s) on the walls poisoning the giants, i saw only only a few fighters who also came to have a look 4 fun. Me being not the greatest mage in the world just like to poison and harm giants where i can... The only thing that really bugged me was that posion is very weak =( i used to get 3 to 4 which was fine... but now only 0-1 so upping Rat is my first priority...

Also we usually team up with a couple of high lvl fighters (and 1 or 2 summoners) to go at them from the ground...

Usually this is at least 4 hours of intensive playing to whipe out much of the giants & dragons, and with the restore spell downgraded i expected a lot more mages to come and heal up fighters (normally rem. heal would be a waste, because fighters would restore and render them useless, so you needed 2 to 3 mages to keep a pro fighter healthy (so he didn't have to restore))... so with niemand after blowing all our De & Le we decided to go and fight them from the ground... but ida cemetary was a killing field...

i was sad to see fighters just giving up...

I like no drops day and although i usually get killed dozen of times, i always have a blast.

Now i just gave up and went training...

Well next week i'll go at them again with +4 Rat another couple of K's of essences.

Hope other will do the same.

Edited by RotationZ

Why? Why would i go into pk maps and get killed by 3-4 or even 5 ppl ? its no fun, sorry and it will nvr be fun too.

Sure its NDD and i go there just to get kicked out even faster then i went in. Stats ? OK i only have 20/32 pc. i can stand some hits cause of the 16 vit. i am a/d 78/83, but does that matter ? No, sorry to say but only to go into kf just to restore till mana runs out is no fun. and i cant imagine its fun for anybody.

OK there might be some fun if your a strong fighter and get ganged but for me fighting is only fun if it lasts a while, not when you fight someone and every one is jumping on you, or is PK about spoiling any fun and kill asap with as less chance to get a single hit?

as soon as any one can explain to me what makes pk fun, Well i might even wast some rosto's on it. but for the time being I'll stick to mixing and making armour and stuff.

Ok not trying to be mean but what is your problem? you play a game and ur worried about losing ur precious armor? Pk is what makes games if you havent noticed on major games people dont pay just to make armor 99% of them pay to fight so they could be best. That involves fighting not being the best at being lazy and pushing the mix button.

Btw if you look at ur siggy its quite amusing maybe you should go there because thats what ur doing :P

You actually didn't get my point.

I don't mind loosing/breaking stuff, I make new myself, I give sh#t about pk-points and i like a fight every now and then. but as soon as i start a fight or even when i got attacked by Toom who is way stronger some others just have to interfear. That is what i mean i know fighting in pk doesn't have to be fair, i play this game long enough to know. But i really cant see the fun in attacking some one who is already fighting a chanceless fight.

I am not wining here, i just trying to have as much fun as others and maybe i should go to arena's but just the openfield is what i like and even fighting a group of ppl isn't really a big point but plz. let the really strong fighters stand aside then or let them have fun by helping the one that is allready under attack,

Getting killed in 5 sec isn't my kind of fun and i let that happen 2 maybe 3 times and then I'm out, which means those who doesn't dare the give a fight even the slightest chance of being fun wont have fun anymore. Believe me I will i start mixing or go to some monsterspawn that i normally wouldn't dare to enter and start my own fight there, that way i get some xp and can test my char. i don't need a pk map for that.

With most of the strong people go PKing and only few trying to kill the giants.

I'm not going to the invasions again to get another NDD day, waste of time.

Zamirah is spot on.

The people capable of killing giants spent most of their time in NCa and KF...

Had u all just spent a little time in Ida, all u (ex-?)yeti trainers could've had another NDD and continued killing us nubs (instead of each other), but no...

If you were fighting the giants Zamirah, then tyvm for trying to keep the NDD's rolling :D

I hope the rest of u who are capable of killing giants with some degree of ease will consider actually going and doing it next weekend so we can continue having NDD's.

Personally my whole life doesn't work around El, if there's another ndd fine if not then really i don't care. I spent probably over 4 hours last week killing giants and dragons in ida with ambrosius. At the same time we had 2 mages niemand and rotationZ following us round remote healing while we were fighting and it was really good fun. However this week i decided to spend the last couple of hours of ndd that i wasn't afk actually pking :P I don't appreciate being told in localchat that i should be helping in the invasion and i'm sure other ppl don't either. There are many of the stronger fighters that i have never seen helping in invasions that's their choice and they will probably be the first to complain when there are no more ndd. But i do regulary see alot of them helping for at least part of the day like i have done also. Just because some of you choose to do it every week doesn't mean the rest of us should :P

Edited by Siarato

Those of you who mention PK server will die out I totally agree with.

Once the inital batch of players get to decent a/d levels it will be impossible for new players to join server and level up. They will be slaughtered all the time. Then as players leave it will slowly errode over time (lots of echo's of PK is dead) mwahahaha

Actually the best idea from the thread that started the whole pk server off was dropped and never picked up again and that was the ability to make oneself PK'able on main server.

Generally everyone liked the idea it was just some of the clauses around it - last for whole ingame month etc.. Why can't we just have the ability to make ourselves PK'able for a shorter time - yeah some constraints if required - like maybe has to last at least a day but even then not sure why we need the constraints?

Secondly I agree with a lot of the points made here. If those "top" fighters spent just 1 hour of NDD killing some of the giants we could have done it and earnt another ndd next week for the whole community to enjoy (yes i know some people are feeling we've had to many but 90% still enjoy them and they are great for training or PK fun whatever your preference is).

Pisses me off all those who rush off to KF/TD to play for 6 hours and enjoy the day without doing just a bit to help earn it. Unfortunatly its the mid level players who do the most on these days to try help and they have no chance fighting so do their best to use the skills they do have (magic mainly) but it still takes at least 12-15 decent fighters to help out (instead of the 3/4 yesterday!). I know its tough for us all and uses a lot of supplies but there is a lot of generous giving from those who can't help out in any other way than provide HE/SRS's.

Ok rant over :P

Have a good new year y'all. Hitting the bottle now, see you in 2008 :P

Edited by neildog

So many points to think about... Sorry for the length, but, here goes:

1- I agree that the top fighters who just use NDD days to PK and never or hardly ever help with the invasions are being selfish. Players have to earn those events by beating invasions, so at the very least those who enjoy them the most should help earn them. Of course, no one is obligated to help or keep helping for the whole time, but they shouldn't expect much respect if they decide not to, either.

With the caps in place, the NDD invasions are going to be way harder until players develop new builds and new strategies to compensate for the caps. That means we need MORE invasion fighters if we want to keep NDDs coming. If we don't win them, we won't get more to keep practicing on. People who want NDD days need to keep that in mind.

2- If PK really can never be about anything but killing the other guy as fast as possible every single time, no matter what, then PK will never be a part of the game that fits in with the rest of the game. If top PKers would cooperate, then PK maps could be used to help train ways to compensate for the new caps by developing team strategies and terrain strategies.

Since the caps, the NDD invasions -- and regular invasions, too -- will depend more than ever on teamwork and knowing how to use the terrain to our advantage against the mobs. The PK maps could be used for war-game events to practice exactly that, but it would mean certain PKers would have to agree to let other players, even weaker ones, actually get into the maps.

On the other hand, maybe some of those PKers who don't help earn NDD days and who make it hard for other people to enjoy PK, could become the new practice mobs themselves.

3- I had serious problems with the last Saturday invasion and was forced to give up and go train before it was finished. I wasn't in game for the Sunday invasion, but I heard unhappy things about it afterwards. One person said there were 500 monsters left at the end. That's just ridiculous because I know people were trying hard. But, on Saturday, for example, there were so many high-level mobs that it was as bad as PK maps -- I couldn't get 3 steps away from a boat before getting killed. It was impossible to set up teams, impossible to stay in a map long enough to scout monster locations or bait/pin monsters for other fighters. Forget about being able to hunt down mobs I could actually fight against. It seemed almost like the invasions were made tougher after the players were made weaker.

I think there need to be adjustments to how we fight the invasions since the caps, but also to how the invasions are structured since the caps, too. I think it would help to have them less often, to give us time to figure out how to deal with the caps -- every other week instead of every week, maybe. And maybe they should be a little smaller, or more segregated -- not mixing chims with the gobs in Portland for the entire run of the invasion, for instance. On the player side, some people complained that with less power to hits and spells, they felt there was no point in making teams, because they couldn't help like before. But I would say no, we need more teams, bigger teams, and more cooperation between teams.

4- I'm totally ok with the caps and even the change to magic, but I do think we're going to have rethink some of our approach to EL. I think the caps will allow over time for more complex character builds using more nexuses and perks as well as attributes, which is a good thing. I think the caps and the magic change will make a fundamental change to how EL is played, making it more social, not just in chat channels but in actual activities as well, which is probably a good thing, too. They will encourage teamwork, the building of parties -- who knows, maybe someday we'll even get a party system because of it. They will also encourage strategy and exploration to learn how to use not just our skills but the game terrain to our advantage in fights -- in lots of things, really.

I think the global invasion events can be a good part of that, but you know what? PK could be a good part of it, too. Maybe it's time for PKers to stop acting like they are their own little self-enclosed game reality that has nothing to do with mixing, harvesting, invasions, or anything else that goes on in EL. The NDD invasions are a great way for PKers to step out of their PK maps for a couple of hours and actually become part of the larger community and maybe see how we can all help each other keep getting our own kind of fun out of EL.

5-Basically, I think that for a good while, the caps and magic changes will mean that EL is going to be a little less of a solo game with chat channels and more of a group dynamic game. And I think that will affect ALL aspects of EL, including PK.

EDIT: Oh, and Happy New Year, btw! :P New Year = New EL? Let's think about it, eh?

Edited by peino

Well said, peino.

I was very upset to see how "horrible" we were doing. But then when I read some top pkers where in pk maps during this whole time, I was extremely upset.

But after I seen that nice message from Radu "There will be no NDD next week" I was just so HAPPY!

NDD isn't really for mixers or harvesters. Sure we can avoid losing a rosto IF we die from poison, but other than that, there is no benefit. This being said, I am not disappointed for not having a NDD since it doesn't make my day better or worse (I only die in invasions and an occasional pker).

On another note, is there anyway to lift the giants Magic Resistance a smidge? It seems like the only thing I can do in invasions is remote heal (well anything that wouldn't be useless).

Edited by Lexi

You've got some good point there peino. And I'd just like to throw in my words on the invasions.

I used to never go to invasions because I was terrified I'd die and loose my rosto (yeah I know yell at me later) but one day Acelon ran an invasion during a naturally occuring no drop day. So I figured alright what the heck its no drops day I'll try it out. So I did, and it was one of the most fun things I'd ever done in EL. I died so many times and went to the underworld and was fighting in the underworld, and it was all loads of fun.

Then later, Ent started a no drops day on purpose and Acelon ran an invasion, this one was fairly fun as well, though I was slightly annoyed that there were SO many high level monsters in hell that I just kept dieing instantly, but I still really enjoyed it a lot.

Because of all the fun I'd had I was really excited about the idea of regular no drop day invasions. But they turned out just not to be the same. There were so many monsters I couldn't even begin to kill that I didn't really see the fun in it. Another issue I had was that unlike other invasions every different attack wasn't announced by mod message, this was difficult as I prefer to not deal with the spam of channel 6, but had to brave it to find out where to go.

So my main thoughts are. Perhaps invasions with slightly lower level monsters? Instead of a pack of giants guarded by dragons. A few dragons and giants, and lots of lower level things, not way lower but just enough so that maybe some less powerful fighters can take them down, or at least live against them long enough to have some fun. Also perhaps spread out those monsters, like peino mentioned, goblins are no good for goblin fighters if they're surrounded by chims. And I think it would be nice to have more announcements about what is where rather than having to wade through the spam of channel 6.

Edited by Enly

I tried to help,killed some giants but it was undefeatable for some few ppl who were there so i gave up and was off most of day lol it wasnt big fun with my low emu i runned off srs and hes after 2 giants and then ran 13 times to get sto,always got killed by giants who were on cemetary...maybe some weaker monsters next time and more fighters lol

Well, Lexi, I'm a PvE player who's into RP and exploring the game world. Fighting monsters is the biggest part of what I want to do in EL. I really enjoy invasions I can participate in because they give a point to my training and my character building, give me a good action-rush now and then, and make me step out of my usual lone-wolf ways and play with nice with others for a while.

But I'm not an adrenalin-junkie, so I could stand to have them less often, or have them be a little smaller. I'm not afraid to lose equipment, so they don't all have to be NDD every time to suit me, even though NDD is great for training. I don't like constant conflict and I do like everyone around me to have a good time, too, so I think some of the criticisms that the global invasions take up too much of the time or space of the game world have some merit and should be taken seriously.

I guess I'm thinking that if PK was less about a few people kicking everyone else's butts really fast, and if PK felt a little more like the invasions, it might be good for the game overall. At least, we might need fewer global invasions, if we could get similar action any time in PK maps. EDIT: A PvE player like me, who scores less than 7% Killer on the Bartle Test, might even try PK if it was about more than lining up for a quick trip to hell. Fighters say monsters are just training for PK, but for me, PK is/would be just training for monsters and invasions.

Edited by peino

I tried to help,killed some giants but it was undefeatable for some few ppl who were there so i gave up and was off most of day lol it wasnt big fun with my low emu i runned off srs and hes after 2 giants and then ran 13 times to get sto,always got killed by giants who were on cemetary...maybe some weaker monsters next time and more fighters lol

Same here, I use to have for 100 restores, some a/d/p/c pots and some other ess and rings in inv.

I had to restock after 3-4 giants yesterday, had 58 giants on my counter because the healers and summoners were helping me.

Waisted a lot of time restocking.

Sometimes were we 4/5 fighters as a team, sometimes less and often had we 2-3 giants teaming us up - and died very fast.

Only time I left the cemetary, were when I teled out to restock.

When we had killed all came new.

So if we had been 3/4 teams, would we have been able to clear the cemetary.

Another thing: I think the giants are too strong for these invasions now, at the idaloran had I the best astro , the day before in mm the lowest.

I could not make any damage when my astro was low, so if I could fight them 2 min or 2 hours - never killed any.

Only had some few critical hits on them.

I don't know how many has sceptic perk, but for people without the perk, will every 2nd week be bad for giants - dragons almost impossible.

So NDD day every 2nd week can be good or I can as well stay away.

And I think only 25 or 35 players are stronger than I am?

So maybe the giants are an bad idea now ?

Oh, and yetis seem much easier after the cap, so it can't be because I spent my pp in a bad way.

I dont know if it is possible but one solution might be:

1) during the Sunday Ida invasions only that map is non-drop.. and if that invasion is cleared then we earn another NDD for the following Saturday ( at least 4 hours with maybe the odd smaller Invasion) , Then people can PK all they want on that day and it doesnt hinder the invasion and on the Sunday they can try and earn themselves another Saturday of global NDD to enjoy pking

Some very good point Peino, and Conavar, that is a nice thought too, earn a PK-ndd.

Some other thoughts to the mixing of monsters, i have had a nice time with the cyclops in WS. But i see ppl who are in PL trying to have fun too, But that is a multi fightmap. Mixing Gobs with chims is plain evil :)

Why not let goblins mixed with orc invade Pl and clops and chims in WS? that way low lvl. fighters still stand a chance and the midlvl fighters wont have to be afraid to be teamed by some strong monsters.

or if has to be put the clops mixed with chims in pl and goblins with orc and some trolls in WS.

For the big ida invasion. lot has been said about it but what i have noticed is that as soon as a monster has even the slightest magic resistance its hard for a mage to do any damage.

I'm training and alt to becaome a mage, its mag 45 and rat is at 18 now (was 17 during the invasion) there for it restores 175hp but could MD only 1 mana from the most of the giants and 1/5 or maybe even less gave 18 mana. Then i tried to LD some giants, 6 HP was max and often even 0 was drained. imho there is something wrong. If we want a mage class in this game there should be some adjustment imho. it doesn't look right in my eyes that one who can restore over 150hp can only ld so little.

the last invasion before the caps and the new mag.formula's you could drain the giants for enough mana and when i try on large spiders i can drain tehm dry in one hit, so either mag resistance should be adjusted or the formulas should be adjusted a bit.

As a mage not being able to do any damage doesn't promise anything good for the future imho. We will never be able to stand any change in a pk-fight and from what i understand that was the meaning of the new formula's.

edit: typo

Edited by Walt-Her

As a mage not being able to do any damage doesn't promise anything good for the future imho. We will never be able to stand any change in a pk-fight and from what i understand that was the meaning of the new formula's.

A pure mage might not stand a chance toe to toe with a pure fighter and i dont think they were intended to. but at the moment players in pk with high magic level and the pp to spend in there build. can harm for over a 100 and mana drain for over 50 , a few mages like that on one pure fighter and fighter is dead

Hm, interesting topic...

Regarding NDD: It was said 90% of EL enjoys NDD all the time. As far as I know, this is very untrue. I've heard many complain about this. The NDD screw over the other invasions run.. (the ones I usually do/try to do). Since there are so NDD invasion, not as many people come to mine because they can just wait for the next NDD one.

Regarding lower level monsters in invasion: It's been suggested MANY MANY MANY times before, and I listen! You guys have to realize the very strong fighters go to fight the weaks ones as well... I announce there are spiders in Votd and ogres in PL for example.. I go to votd and see fighters who could easily handle ogres fighting the spiders... clearing them out faster than I can spawn them. Even if it's in multiple areas.. it's the higher-level players ruining it for the lower level players. I've tried to make changes... like having three invasions going on at once in the cities in willowvine... It worked for a bit, but them the ones who were participating in the mid level invasion went to low level invasion... and those in high level went to mid level. Basically, you guys have to figure that out, because I know I'm not going to try harder with those if players are just going to screw it up.

A pure mage might not stand a chance toe to toe with a pure fighter and i dont think they were intended to. but at the moment players in pk with high magic level and the pp to spend in there build. can harm for over a 100 and mana drain for over 50 , a few mages like that on one pure fighter and fighter is dead

i think you are right about that, but what i really meant is there is no balance in magic atm. it might be just a feeling but what about these high lvl fighters/mages when they md/ld/harm a mob whith some magic resistance. i think that ought to be tested and maybe there should be some adjustment.

But i know the char i used isn't a strong mage yet, so i might be totally wrong about that, which i hope, if i'm not then maybe some adlustments can be made. but as said it should be tested with different kind of char builds before there can be some.

Regarding lower level monsters in invasion: It's been suggested MANY MANY MANY times before, and I listen! You guys have to realize the very strong fighters go to fight the weaks ones as well... I announce there are spiders in Votd and ogres in PL for example.. I go to votd and see fighters who could easily handle ogres fighting the spiders... clearing them out faster than I can spawn them. Even if it's in multiple areas.. it's the higher-level players ruining it for the lower level players. I've tried to make changes... like having three invasions going on at once in the cities in willowvine... It worked for a bit, but them the ones who were participating in the mid level invasion went to low level invasion... and those in high level went to mid level. Basically, you guys have to figure that out, because I know I'm not going to try harder with those if players are just going to screw it up.

Ever since I enjoyed my first NDD invasion I've gone to a few regular ones, yes the high levels players do sometimes attack the low level monsters, but not always, and they don't always kill them all right away. What you do may not work flawlessly, but you try. I fight monsters higher than my level most of the time, and a lot of my guildies and buddies do as well.

Honestly these days I get more fun out of a simple mod run invasion with an assortment of monsters strategically placed, more than I do out of the NDD invasions. Especially now that the cap affects things as well I hope NDD invasions will be rethought a bit and hopefully improved.

Edited by Enly

I'm still a baby-mage trainee, so I don't really feel the before change/after change difference that bad, but from what I'm hearing, I agree with Walt-Her that the formulas could need tweaking. The effectiveness of spells seems to be all over the map right now, and I agree, it doesn't seem to make sense.

Also, I've thought for a while that magic resistance needs to be tweaked, both for monsters and PKers casting magic immunity. I think this is one of a couple of things in EL that seem to negate something else in EL. If magic resistance/magic immunity spell are too strong, then what use is it to train to be a mage? There can be no such thing as a mid-level mage, so for most people who want to be a mage, it will take them maybe months or longer to get there (depending on how much time they can spend playing/grinding/training). If you want people to train magic, I don't see the point of putting up obstacles that pretty much make magic have no effect at all. It should be hard to harm/poison/drain some monsters/enemies, but it should not be so easy for them to make it even harder. (The other thing I have an issue with is TS pots lowering a/d, but that's another topic.)

Also, one point I've been making and want to repeat is that stuff that affects monster fighting, also affects PK. We will get to a point where mages are a force to be reckoned with, and not always underdogs who need luck or help to prevail. Eventually there will be and should be some top mages who can kill a giant or dragon with magic by themselves, even if it's really difficult, and who Pkers approach with caution. But right now, I think magic resistance is one of the obstacles that is just so high, it could discourage people from trying.

Hm, interesting topic...

Regarding NDD: It was said 90% of EL enjoys NDD all the time. As far as I know, this is very untrue. I've heard many complain about this. The NDD screw over the other invasions run.. (the ones I usually do/try to do). Since there are so NDD invasion, not as many people come to mine because they can just wait for the next NDD one.

Very good point. Another reason why maybe NDD invasions should come less often. The NDD invasions take over most of the game world and include high level monsters in all maps. Mod invasions are more focused on low-levels/mid-levels and don't take up as much of the world. So it doesn't seem to make sense to make global NDD invasions the most common event. Also, I do believe you can have too much of a good thing. I live for invasions, but sometimes I wish I had a little time to start missing them and wanting them again. :) (Like the old song says, "How can I miss you, if you won't go away?")

Everything you and the rest of the Mod Squad do with invasions is right! You give great monster mixes, interesting locations, interesting stories. My criticisms are ONLY about the mixes of monsters in the one NDD invasion we just had.

As for players not respecting the levels and not stepping back so lower level people can fight lower level monsters, there's nothing you can do about that. My hope would be that, if ELers get more into teamwork when facing invasions and/or PK, then that kind of every-man-for-himself/only-my-counters-matter attitude might start to fade a little.

Edited by peino

I manadrain giants too, magic level 73, rationality 20, and I usually drain 25 mana, very close to what I did before cap.

So maybe only lower level work bad now.

I don't know if astro work on magic now ?

Have only tested restore, manadrain and remore heal after the cap.

Remote heal is much better now.

Hm, interesting topic...

Regarding NDD: It was said 90% of EL enjoys NDD all the time. As far as I know, this is very untrue. I've heard many complain about this.

well I think a lot of people enjoy NDD its when they are joined with mass invasions of a lot of maps that people find the problem.

Yes I know a lot of people dont pk but a lot do and NDD gives pk the kick up the ass it needs to get players out there .

like I said before maybe they need to be mixed up a bit NDD without invasions so people who like to pk can just go and pk and invasion days without No drop etc etc

I think it'd be better monthly, opposed to weekly.

Monthly NDD or monthly NDD invasion ?

A big NDD invasion might be ok once a month , but just one day a month of NDD imo isnt enough , its finding a balance thats good for all .. and that includes ebul pkers or maybe have NDD just confined to pk maps once a week ( if its earnt) and for those who want to go kill mobs for drops can and those who want to go play in pk can also .. everyone happy ( or maybe not.. some people you can never make happy :P )

Edited by conavar

Once a month NDD invasion.

Once a month force NDD.

All other naturally occuring NDD is fine. That's how it was before and it was fine :P