Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dimov

Fighting styles

Well, I had the following idea, with the world the game takes place in, being a large one, we could have different fighting styles, to be studied in different areas. They could work the following way:

1. You go and find a trainer for the style (NPC) , he gives you quests so you advance in rank( Novice, Practitioner, Expert, Master, Adept ), which will affect the efficiency of using your style.

2. Due to the manner in which combat is done in EL, the effect would be mostly passive bonuses, and maybe occasinal abilities, similar to spells. For example:

- Style A relies on rapid, weak, disorienting strikes, does little damage, but get's more attacks per round.

- Style B relies on trapping the adversary's arms, this would translate to the existance of a chance, your opponent to lose the ability to attack in the next round if you block succesfully.

- Style C relies on disarming, there is a chance that your opponents weapon, will be returned to his, and even smaller that it will be dropped on the ground, and minimal (at an Adept level) that it will wind up in your inventory/hand (if you are unarmed)

3. Different styles could favor different weapons. I.e. giving accuracy and damage bonuses with them.]

4. You can have one style active at a time, in order to activate a style you have trained in, you must go to the teacher npc, to "brush up" on it.

5. Also different styles, could take a governing attribure, which they will translate in a bonus (i.e. a stat relying on brute force, would get an additional damage bonus from physique)

I think this will add a lot of tactics and risk to pk, since you wouldn't know what you are up against.

This has been suggested dozens of times. Very complicated to code also from what I've been told in the past.