Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CelticLady

Remote HoT (Heal over Time) Spell

I tried to do an extensive search, and found some wanting a stronger remote heal, but none that suggested a heal over time type of spell so I wanted to throw in the suggestion. With things changing in the near future I think a spell like this could become very useful.

For those not familiar with them, HoT (Heal over Time) spells do just that, they heal the target over time instead of all at once. We have a DoT (Damage over Time) with poison so this would work basically the same but just with healing.

Now, if a spell like this was added then making it able to be remotely cast on others could have a big use in teamwork instances. Example: Restore no longer heals all your health (or rather it won't in most cases after the magic formula changes go through). You go into pk after dark and have one or two healers/ranged casters with you in CoM and camo cape. You attack someone and your healers/ranged casters sit back in the shadows and cast HoT's on you and harm/poison etc. on your opponent.

So a remote HoT would do an X heal (based on the new magic formula) per Y seconds for Z duration.

Now, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea or not for a spell such as this to stack. It might be too powerful if it did stack too much. Perhaps limiting the number of times it could stack or balance it with essences/mana needed to cast the spell or with a higher required level to cast.

Anyways, if this has already been suggested then sorry to duplicate, but I couldn't find it.

So, please post your critique and help me see what I've missed when considering this idea. :ph34r:

Entropy has stated that poison spells stack ("within limits") so it would seem appropriate that a HoT spell would also stack (hopefully more-so that poison if to be used as described above).

And yes, I think it would be a good addition to a mage's bag-o-tricks.

Where would you forsee this in the order of spells now? Low level, high level, some where in the middle? And, would it be remote only or for personal use as well? Seems like it could be quite useful but might not want to make it 'too' useful as you clearly stated.

Where would you forsee this in the order of spells now?
I'd rather see it as a powerful spell at a high level (50, 55) than yet another so-so mid-level spell.

Where would you forsee this in the order of spells now? Low level, high level, some where in the middle? And, would it be remote only or for personal use as well? Seems like it could be quite useful but might not want to make it 'too' useful as you clearly stated.

Well, remote heal can be used on yourself and others, so I would think remote HoT would be the same. And personally, I would agree with Bkc. Make it higher level 50+. Hopefully that would help to give more incentive to train magic.

I won't speculate on essence/mana requirements or base heal amount for a spell like this. I'm not sure what it should be. Perhaps someone else would like to have a go at that? Try and come up with something that helps to balance it. Not too much healing and not too high of essence/mana requirement. Also perhaps, sigils that would make sense for a spell like this.

Well, remote heal can be used on yourself and others, so I would think remote HoT would be the same. And personally, I would agree with Bkc. Make it higher level 50+. Hopefully that would help to give more incentive to train magic.

<snip...>

In this case, maybe it should also have a formula based on rationality, so it wouldn't let the fighters HoT as well as say a top level mage? :D Just a thought :fire:

at least make the spell not castable on yourself :)

so a mage has to do it fór you

(maybe add a far less powerfull HoT spell that can be casted on yourself, but let it also be far less effective than the higher Mage like HoT spell)

at least make the spell not castable on yourself :P

so a mage has to do it fór you

(maybe add a far less powerfull HoT spell that can be casted on yourself, but let it also be far less effective than the higher Mage like HoT spell)

Sure, you could do that. But if that were the case then the current remote heal shouldn't be castable on yourself either. Maybe that's a good idea to help encourage more teamwork. :P