Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Mage class formulas

I think the "mage class" (having mass rationality) should mean your offensive spell power is a lot greater than that of a melee fighter, but i dont think the ability to heal should be too restricted for melee fighters.

I'm swapping back to Aluwen soon, that'll make me a Paladin again, i should be able to fight and heal myself well :):icon4:

Edited by Korrode

Speaking of compromises, how about this:

Restoration always (if it doesn't fail) restores your full NATURAL HP, then over that it uses magic*2*(rationality/48) ?

I can't see anyone really complaining with that . It gives you your base health like it would have at any time before all the +health items, and if you want more, pump points into rationality. People that want to pump points for magic, will have an advantage, but those that don't, still have the base "full restore".

I think the "mage class" (having mass rationality) should mean your offensive spell power is a lot greater than that of a melee fighter, but i dont think the ability to heal should be too restricted.

I'm swapping back to Aluwen soon, that'll make me a Paladin again, i should be able to fight and heal myself well :):icon4:

I agree, if you devote PPs to (x) attribute that determines 'strength' of magic spells, you should be able to hit a bit harder with arcane than with melee attacks. In most, if not all, descriptions of a 'Pure Mage' they have little physicial attack capabilities, instead relying on their extesnive knoweldge of magic.

Harm is basically an extremely focused Solar Flare, makes sense.

Paladin class would also be cool, but keep in mind it's probably more effective short-term to be a pure class.

I thought I would've figured it out once you laid out the first 2 formulas but it seems i cant :icon4: I'm asking if you could find the time to please explain how this formula arised from your conclusion -

(magic level * 1.5 - 1.5) * (rationality * 5 + 112) / 132 It would be very much appreciated :)

Just replace the variables of the equations I gave with the numbers I used in my first post and then simplify the equation until you reach the final formula.

All I hope is that I haven't introduced any error in the previous equations because I did them quite fast as I'm actually at work... :)

tbh i like it the way it was.

this will just screw up pk again, since as a fighter you can't be independant anymore..

if this idea gets implemented you need to find someone to heal you if you want to fight, pay him for his services/essies/pots.

else you will have to spend points in something other then p/c in order to heal yourself normally, slowing down training, making training boring cause you spend too much time on the same monster

just leave restoration as it is, and make harm, life/mana drain become rationality dependant.

Edited by Hardcore

Well then, as Entropy stated, we'll still have uber-1337-impossible-to-kill PKers ruling, rather than having a strong player who is okay on his own, but can be killed by a group of well-trained Mages.

Really, doesn't it get boring being top of the roost all the time? No competetion/little danger/etc. with this change PK will become even more of a "risk" sport, which in my opinion is a good thing.

magic_caster*2*(rationality_caster/100)-magic_targe*2*(rationality_target/100)

That's ofcourse the same as (magic_caster-magic_target)*(rationality/50)% so imo is this chance way too small. Even if you max out rationality you will have (magic_caster-magic_target)% as the chance to remove magic immunity (rationality/50 goes to 1 when rationality is maxed out). So even when you are 20 magic levels in difference it's still only 1/5 you are able to remove it. Imo it should be close to 1/2 when you are 20 magic levels above someone else.

Edited by Cycloonx

i find that the restoration spell should stay the way it is atm, i dont find a reason for it to change.

Restoration is lvl 21... everyone and their grandmother has that magic level for crying out loud (Yeh I got like lvl 8 but I'm no one!!)

For such a powerfull spell to be avaliable at that low level... ridicilous

The more I think about this new magic system the more i like it. Seriously, magic lvl should be little more than ability to cast magic. Rationality should define the power of those spells in my opinion. Given there should be some spells that require higher lvls to accomodate those with huge lvls but low power, and also those that have both.

Restoration always (if it doesn't fail) restores your full NATURAL HP, then over that it uses magic*2*(rationality/48) ?

For my character its fine, for all/most yeti trainers too. as long as they max out reasoning.

It will prevent low/middle lvl fighters from training in CoL, they will need to put pickpoints in WILL attribute, no more 30-50health points characters on fluff/feros, also no more pk for them ( so i would expect a lot of bitching here :icon4: ).

No idea if mixers/harvesters will like it, probably not, but hard to say for me, most of them have decent WILL(16-28) but low magic lvl- till now they didnt need big magic at all, so 49 was just fine, and for many even mag 21.

mp

I think Masterpiter has made it very clear. I have tryed to explian this at the first of the thread. If rationality is a factor of Magic spells. All fighters will Max out as much reasoning as they can, So will most mages. Does this not bring us back to the exact same problem we had before the suggestion of a attribute cap?

Old Style max out Coordination.

New style max out Corridination Reasoning. There is little point for anyone to take instict...And that extra ability to dodge hits, would be perfect for a mage type charater.

:icon4:

Well then, as Entropy stated, we'll still have uber-1337-impossible-to-kill PKers ruling, rather than having a strong player who is okay on his own, but can be killed by a group of well-trained Mages

No matter what you change or how you change things top 10 players asgnny toomass pkduck MP ect. ARE uber- 1337 and will rule pk no matter what...as it should be..isn't that what we are all striving for? To be Top in our chosen skill?

This sounds nice, and fair to me (with 40 pps for rationality which is nearly half my OA). Very Simple too :icon4: I also think it's cool it will restore the natural health, so it'll be good if I do some "every once in a while" fighting. At least it's better than 61 0.o

Me like. :)

This sounds nice, and fair to me (with 40 pps for rationality which is nearly half my OA). Very Simple too :) I also think it's cool it will restore the natural health, so it'll be good if I do some "every once in a while" fighting. At least it's better than 61 0.o

I have 60hp natural hp... would this mean if I restore at 40hp, Id get 100hp?

Or would I get only 60hp, so 20hp restored?

I have 60hp natural hp... would this mean if I restore at 40hp, Id get 100hp?

Or would I get only 60hp, so 20hp restored?

Pretty sure (?) it means you'll only restore up to your 60 (20hp from 40hp) Not "current health+natural health").

It would heal like you had no CoL on with the current way (max your hp).

Edit

Comes to mind what the spell effect would be if you went to cast again (to fill up hp with health expansions).

Would I heal up to my 100hp then 27 each time after the first cast, OR 127 each time period?

127 each time sounds more reasonable, so it COULD be this, but I guess we'll wait for Entropy's answer.

Edited by Lexi

Well, I have 32 magic and 12 rationality. Using the first formula I'd restore 32x+12y which is 108, and this would be unaffected by what my current MP is. With this suggestion, I would restore myself up to initial 100hp and then just 16MP more. When I train I usually restore at around 40MP so the second one really is alot worse for me.

I got no problem for spending pp's in rationality, but I still don't want to be totally punished if I wish to not do so. :)

tbh i like it the way it was.

this will just screw up pk again, since as a fighter you can't be independant anymore..

if this idea gets implemented you need to find someone to heal you if you want to fight, pay him for his services/essies/pots.

else you will have to spend points in something other then p/c in order to heal yourself normally, slowing down training, making training boring cause you spend too much time on the same monster

just leave restoration as it is, and make harm, life/mana drain become rationality dependant.

I agree with that. Probably mages should have other benefits. For example they could be the only class that can cast tele to rooms. Pure fighters should be able to teleport only with rings. Or the only class that is able to bypass magic immunity.

What makes el different(and better) than other mmorpg games is full restoration and the way we get a/d exp. Probably restoration and magic should be modified a bit but i am not sure that the game is ready for such big changes.

Restoration always (if it doesn't fail) restores your full NATURAL HP,

then over that it uses magic*2*(rationality/48) ?

I love the first half of this (natural HP) as it seems more reasonable and consistent with the intent of a restore spell. I like the second half and would like to suggest a slightly different formula.

Restore is a mid-level spell (requires magic 21 where spells like ICTPR and Invis require level 50). Someone who has trained up to magic level 50 (if you pretend there's a cap at 100) could be considered a mid-level mage. And clearly a rationality of 48 implies at least a mid-level (or more) commitment to magic.

I think a mid level mage should be strong enough to fill a CoL, 150 HP. So...

magic * X * (rationality / 48) = 150

50 * X * (48 / 48) = 150

X = 3

So I think for levels over your natural health the formula should be:

magic * 3 * (rationality / 48)

It's a small change (2 to 3) but it feels like there's a more logical reason behind it now.

Footnote: personally, because of the number of PPs involved, I think the second half of the formula should be (rationality/24), but I can't justify that with more than simply "I think it would be more appropriate given the PP investment).

Edited by bkc56

Entropy:"Speaking of compromises, how about this:

Restoration always (if it doesn't fail) restores your full NATURAL HP, then over that it uses magic*2*(rationality/48) ?"

This makes the most since to me full restore of Natural hp.

If you are using a Magic item to Augment hp you need to use magic to fill it.

Q: Is 48 straight across or is it If hp augment is used = 48

If not used = 40 ? doesn't really matter imo..

Why don't more people like this? Am i missing something?

Entropy:"Speaking of compromises, how about this:

Restoration always (if it doesn't fail) restores your full NATURAL HP, then over that it uses magic*2*(rationality/48) ?"

This makes the most since to me full restore of Natural hp.

If you are using a Magic item to Augment hp you need to use magic to fill it.

Q: Is 48 straight across or is it If hp augment is used = 48

If not used = 40 ? doesn't really matter imo..

Why don't more people like this? Am i missing something?

The only thing that worries me about this, and as I said before I may be wrong. It just seems to me it will be more benifical for both mages and Fighters to Max out the same three attributes.

P/C and Reasoning. Then we end up with everyone having very similar builds, as it was before with just P/C. Though it seems I am the only one that thinks this could be a problem. Maybe I have lost my mind. lol

(It has been known to happen)

This Sounds like a excellent idea to me :devlish:

This Sounds like a excellent idea to me :devlish:

ditto.

There are MANY reasons why I will not do that:

1. Would be unfair for people that bought nexuses.

2. Would be unfair for those who have removal stones.

3. If I do that now, people would expect that each time I am adjusting stuff.

This is Why