Eternal Lands Official Forums
jio_bob

Counters disappearing

Dear EL team,

I am writing this 'note' because I have got a problem with my counters, which had happened to me before, sad for me.

The problem is as follows:

For some unknow reason my counters clean themselves from time to time (it had happened to me 4 times), All I know is that today I opened EL in a normal way and the client have returned to the basic configuration and all my counters were empty.

I find it rather strange, because I did not change anything in the configuration of my EL client nor did I change the Windows ( XP sp 2 ) config.

I even found my old counters file in My documents folder (5kb) but it was empty or at least seemed so.

I have spoken with Creedka about this problem, she told me to post here.

I hope my little problem will be taken under consideration.

Yours faithfully,

Jio

Edited by jio_bob

For some unknow reason my counters clean themselves from time to time (it had happened to me 4 times), All I know is that today I opened EL in a normal way and the client have returned to the basic configuration and all my counters were empty.

If your client settings have reset too, it sounds like your personal settings directory/folder might have been lost. This is the place mentioned in the console window when the client starts. If you did not delete that directory then something weird is happening. Have you checked your hard disk for errors recently?

I even found my old counters file in My documents folder (5kb) but it was empty or at least seemed so.

The counters file can not be viewed in a normal editor because it is not a text file. Did you try copying it into your personal settings directory? You will need to exit the client, copy the file, then restart the client to use the old file.

The counters file can not be viewed in a normal editor because it is not a text file.
The counters file CAN be viewed in a normal text editor...

Oh no they can't :happy:

Edited by bluap

The counters file can not be viewed in a normal editor because it is not a text file.
The counters file CAN be viewed in a normal text editor...
In an attempt to end the "can to", "can not" debate....

1. The dat files can be viewed in a text editor. You can even read the items in the file (Rat, Rabbit, etc).

2. The counter values are not in ascii and can not be viewed.

3. You can not edit the values.

If you have access to a hex or binary editor, you may be able to view and edit, but that's well beyond the scope of a typical users use of Notepad or Vi.

In an attempt to end the "can to", "can not" debate....

Do you not have Christmas pantomimes in the US.

Any how, thanks for bringing this serious issue back on track. Like I said, the counters file is non-ascii. It can no more be viewed in a text editor than the el client executable. Sure, you can load it up and see some strings but I suspect, depending on your editor, you are not seeing all strings because the editor may not display past some of the non-ascii bits. If you're really unlucky and using and inferior operating system, you might even crash your editor.

@Bluap My personal settings directory/folder are perfectly fine, no errors detected...

Guess there is no need of explaining the use of the text editor in viewing the counters file.

I'm not an expert at computer studies, maybe someone will figure it out how to help me?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.