Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sistema

Xfire and EL

Hi folks,

A long time ago a few players tried to get Eternal Lands working on Xfire and getting Xfire's official support. I had made a simple website to guide players. For a short period of time we had moderators broadcasting the url to this site. We also have an Eternal Lands Players guild on Xfire. It's almost been three years and unfortunately we still haven't had enough demand to get officially supported.

For those who don't know what Xfire is:

Xfire (pronounced ex-fire) is a freeware instant messaging service targeted at gamers, that also serves as a game server browser and has various other features (like voice-chat, in-game instant messaging, game tracking and many more). It's designed for Windows (Linux users see "Gfire", Mac OS X users see "Xblaze") and is rapidly developing. They have over 7 million registered users and is said to be essential for the everyday gamer. More information can be found on their website or here.

I believe having Eternal Lands supported by Xfire will not only increase the number of Xfire users here in EL, but it will also lure new players to our world.

So this is why I've decided to create a new, fresh thread, along with a tutorial on how to get EL (unofficially) working on Xfire (w00t w00t!). I'm doing this so we can all test it out, to see if it works, see if there's any bugs, and whether or not we can solve it. Just keep in mind that many features of Xfire won't be available until it's officially supported. So if you have Xfire, that's great. If not, you can download it, register and try helping out ;)

In order to get Xfire to detect Eternal Lands, you will need to do the following five simple steps:

(make sure both EL and Xfire are closed before following the steps)

1. I came up with a code that gets EL working on Xfire, it's not perfect, but it works. In the directory your Xfire is installed in there is a file named 'xfire_games.ini', open it with your favourite text editor and scroll down to the end and add the following code, save it and close it.

[99]
LongName=Eternal Lands
ShortName=el
LauncherDirKey=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eternal Lands
LauncherExe=el.exe
DetectDirDefault=C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands
ProcessWindowTitle=Eternal Lands
Launch=%UA_LAUNCHER_EXE_PATH% %UA_LAUNCHER_EXTRA_ARGS% %UA_LAUNCHER_NETWORK_ARGS%
InGameRenderer=OGL
InGameFlags=ENABLE_MOUSE

2. Launch Xfire up and see if it has automatically detected Eternal Lands. Go to Tools > Launch. Is EL there on the list? If it is skip step 3. If not we will have to manually show Xfire EL's installation path.

3. We will have to manually add EL to Xfire's launch list now. Go to Tools > Options > Games tab. Expand the 'Not Installed' list and scroll down to where 'Eternal Lands' is and select it.

Select 'Manual Setup', hit browse and find the path to Eternal Lands (ie. C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\). Hit 'Apply' and then 'OK'.

Yes, I know it doesn't have an icon because it's not officially supported by Xfire.

4. We will try launching EL through Xfire now. Go to Tools > Launch > Eternal Lands. If it does launch see if your Xfire Status (the message at the bottom of your Xfire window) shows 'Eternal Lands'. If it does, congratulations! Now the developers at Xfire have nothing left to do, the code is ready, they just have to get off their lazy arses and test the code out for themselves.

5. Now to see if Xfire In-Game works. Once EL has opened up and you've logged on hit ScrLk+X. You should get the In-Game menu to show up (if it doesn't work at first try going into FullScreen mode and out again). If it works, great job! Check if the Screenshot feature works as well, hit ScrLk+S for that. You can upload the screenshots onto your Xfire profile for everyone to see and show that EL works! :)

Post here if you can't get it working and we'll see if we can help you. Those of you who are intelligent and computer literate, if you would like to try and tweak the code a bit here is a list of properties and variables available. My Xfire username is sistema, you can add me if you wish. You can also post here if you would like to join the EL Players guild on Xfire too.

Here's a screenshot that shows the Xfire In-Game menu in Eternal Lands:

elonxfireqo6zo8.th.jpg

I would like as many people as possible to test this out for me. Once we've confirmed that it's working we can start posting on the EL support thread on the Xfire forums. There's no other way for EL to get supported guys, we need to show that we have demand, and I simply can't do this alone. So please, bump the topic there as often as you can.

** I would also like to request people who have got it working to send Pilot51, an Xfire regular known and acknowledged by the Xfire devs, a private message through the Xfire forums saying that you vote for EL to be supported. He has a list of games which want support, and how many people have voted for it here. Thanks. **

Roja and Radu, I want your opinions on this too, please. I've seen a few games where the head developer of the game got in contact with Xfire devs to sort of speed things up, it was done in a week or two, lol.

If you would like to support us, here's a few things you can do: How To Support Us.

Thank you,

- Sistema.

Edited by Sistema

Works fine for me after going through step 3 :)

hope itll officially get supported fast

Great!

** I would also like to request people who have got it working to send Pilot51, an Xfire regular known and acknowledged by the Xfire devs, a private message through the Xfire forums saying that you vote for EL to be supported. He has a list of games which want support, and how many people have voted for it here. Thanks. **
If you would like to support us, here's a few things you can do: How To Support Us.

;)

Edited by Sistema

Wowowow..ww..wwait, what exactly is the point of this for now? Others still can't see I'm playing EL :S

Works alright now:)

Although EL crashed when I first tried pressing ScrLk+ X, and second when I re-opened el. Opening through x-fire seemed to slow down the 'loading' process too. But regularly it works fine, with the xfire window :(

Sorry to hijack your thread a little, but the guys from Retroshare http://retroshare.sf.net contacted me a few weeks ago asking if we'd be interested in integrating their client with our client.

My understanding is that it's sort of like Xfire, so check it out.

Quick note that if your on Vista that the xfire_games.ini file (well at least for me) was located under C:/ProgramData/Xfire/ It goes there by default when you install on Vista (I think).

I know this is probably an old topic to respond to, but I'll say it anyway. It's about TIME someone thought of using Xfire!!

Hello sistema , i guess you remember me from xfire.I've spoken with the Xfire Game supporter and the game will be added soon (perhaps in the next game updates there are usually 2-3 per month)Anyway my xfire id is MasacruForGroove ,i've applied to join the EL Community on xfire

In-Game chat (ScrlLck+X) and screenies (ScrlLck+S) work :icon4:

Haven't tried in-game video yet...

Thanks Sistema - good work

Edited by frogimus

I've got it installed ok, seems to be working fine! Slows down my EL client just a little bit, but nothing too bad. Now I just need some people on my buddy list to actually talk to, lol :ph34r:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but i can't find anything else on this >.>

EL support works well, but when i take a screenshot, it immediately pops up a window asking me if i would like to upload or delete the shot. Is there a way to disable this? In combat situations it can be bad to be taken away from the EL window :)

If not, that's okay, i'll still use xfire.. just would be awesome if i could disable it :P

Just found this thread. Must've missed it before. Thanks, ilobypie. :)

Got it installed and running. Seems like it's working okay. Now just need some testing with somebody.:P

I want to support EL on xfire but my xfire_games.ini isnt showing in the directory. Any clue?

Yes, it should be in there.. try uninstalling & reinstalling.

Also make sure you're looking in C:/Program Files/xfire (If you run windows), and do an arrange items by name, in case it's out of order.

I want to support EL on xfire but my xfire_games.ini isnt showing in the directory. Any clue?

Yes, it should be in there.. try uninstalling & reinstalling.

Also make sure you're looking in C:/Program Files/xfire (If you run windows), and do an arrange items by name, in case it's out of order.

Still no xfire_game.ini all I am see is a lot of language files and .dll files(the lang files). I have vista, if that makes any difference. I searched my computer for the file but no luck, I am not sure where to look, it isn't in the directory.