Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bkc56

Straw Poll II

Straw Poll II  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What areas should be safe on the PK server

• Just IP outsides and C1/C2 underworld (as it is now)
    • The above plus IP-Insides and C1/C2 portal rooms
    • The above plus all insides
    • The above plus all coastal cities
    • The above plus all walled cities
    • The above plus all docks

As with the other poll I started, this is not an official poll and may not have any effect on the way the PK server is setup.

Please read everything below so you understand the poll choices.

The topic of safe zones was also discussed the first day the PK server came on-line and Entropy suggested the possibility of a poll. So again, I'm trying to trigger some discussion so people clearly understand the options and consequences.

The topic of safe zones on the PK server is an important one. To many safe areas, and it will seem like the main server. To few, and it's impossible for new players to get started (they can't even get off IP without being killed). There needs to be a good balance. But there's a wide range of possibilities here. History has shown us that "official" polls are often terse with few choices, so I wanted to do one with a wide range of possibilities.

With luck we can get some good debate going here. Also, we may see a trend in the poll results, perhaps even a standard bell-curve around an optimal choice or choices that would be good for an official poll.

So here is a bit more detail on the above poll choices. I tried to order them so each adds more safety. One could argue the order on a few is wrong, but it's a starting point for discussion.

IP and C1/C2 Underworld - this is what we have now, and does not include the IP insides.

plus IP-Insides and C1/C2 Portal rooms - makes IP totally safe, and allows for safer movement between maps.

plus all insides - this would make all buildings safe which would include some of the storage locations for a safe place to conduct business.

plus coastal cities - this would allow safe movement from IP to storage on C1, although the change-map delay may have to be increased a bit. Includes (I think): Arius, Melinis, Irsis, Valley of the Dwarves, and Portland.

plus all walled cities - Adds (I think): Idaloran, Sedicolis, Tarsengaard, Nordcarn, and Whitestone City.

plus all docks - I made this last because the docks are partially covered by the map-change delay, and because it would require a lot of editing of map def files to implement.

So some things to consider:

* Just how many safe areas should there be?

* Should there be a safe path from IP to a storage?

* Should there be a safe path from the C2 underworld to storage (the above options would not include this).

* Should there be enough safe areas to support commerce (safe trading at a storage)?

Please don't complain about what will or won't "kill the PK server". This thread is for rational discussion and to get an idea of what people might prefer. We're not looking for an extreme at either end, but the right balance that will make the PK server fun for the largest number of players.

I just think IP+Underworlds+ some kind of store should be safe.

No safe store, will end up annoying people I think. Shouldnt be safe to mix there of course.

Didnt vote :).

I voted "the above and walled cities". Docks doesn't need to be safe, because there is 10 or 15 seconds when other players can't attack u. So u can just run to other boat or go back if there is someone camping.

I should probably point out a couple things with respect to the map-change delay. While it's helpful, it does not make the docks "safe" or guarantee safe passage to a storage.

First, the delay is only 10 seconds. If your computer is at all slow in loading up the next map, your delay could be gone before you have a chance to click. If we're going to rely on the delay to get off IP safely, it should probably be increased to 20 seconds at least (perhaps more?).

Second, I can think of three ways off the top of my head to slow/stop someone from getting from one boat to another until the grace period expires. I'm sure the more creative people can think of others. So even with an increased delay, if someone wants to hunt at the docks, they will be able to.

I'm not using this to suggest a way to vote, I just wanted to point out that the map-change delay is only helpful, not a solution to "safe docks".

I should probably point out a couple things with respect to the map-change delay. While it's helpful, it does not make the docks "safe" or guarantee safe passage to a storage.

First, the delay is only 10 seconds. If your computer is at all slow in loading up the next map, your delay could be gone before you have a chance to click. If we're going to rely on the delay to get off IP safely, it should probably be increased to 20 seconds at least (perhaps more?).

Second, I can think of three ways off the top of my head to slow/stop someone from getting from one boat to another until the grace period expires. I'm sure the more creative people can think of others. So even with an increased delay, if someone wants to hunt at the docks, they will be able to.

I'm not using this to suggest a way to vote, I just wanted to point out that the map-change delay is only helpful, not a solution to "safe docks".

Yea but there would be some suspence then. It would just be fun that u never know if u can get to next boat before teh ebul pker gets u. But I don't have anything against safe docks too. It's almost same to me what solution there will be :) But yea the "non-attacking" time could be at least increased a bit, if there won't be safe docks.

i think there needs to be some safe spots like inner citys and storages

docks are a means of transport and some ppl have a slight delay with loading this could be a problem if say it gets longer than the 10 seconds as the could take a boat to the under world.

not to sure about the safe route from c2 underworld maybe change the respwn location closer to ida city walls?

maybe underworlds should be pk tho as they are hell and 99% of ppl in there will have just died lol

There will be NO C2!! Ent said this.
Are you sure (can you find the quote)? There's a C2 on the PK server now, I've been there. I wouldn't think it would be there if it wasn't going to be there... Edited by bkc56

There will be NO C2!! Ent said this.
Are you sure (can you find the quote)? There's a C2 on the PK server now, I've been there. I wouldn't think it would be there if it wasn't going to be there...

No changes were made on test pk server at all other than making everything PK except IP and Underworld.

But I am sure I read somewhere that there will be no C2...

Maybe I'm delusional or he changed his mind.

maybe a safe trade area would be a good idea

would you meet someone at a storage to buy/trade items

knowing that they could attack you ?

and later in the game people would be selling larger amounts of items/resources

At VOTD store you can not use a mixing window in reach of the storage

Maybe this could be made as you cant attack in reach of the storage as well

Just another idea to throw about

have not voted but am happy for everything else to stay as it is

Handyman

No option for me, my choice would be similar or same like mango's, so at least 1 storage safe so ppl can trade eachother. I played other game that is full pk and there was also 1 storage/marketplace safe,and it was functioning pretty well.

It isnt that important if docks or cities besides isla prima r safe or not, since there will be that 10-15 seconds non-attack period.

mp

My choice is "plus all walled cities", but without portal rooms and all insides. Only insides with storages or inside safe zones should be safe.

No need to make portals room nonpk...

You teleport to the portals room, you got 15 seconds to get to any banner to teleport to wherever you want.. cant be attacked in that time.

I just think IP and the houses/tavern should be safe, the rat cave can be pk (its pretty cool :P)

Besides that just make votd storage/ votd port safe, perhaps some other cities with storages but i dont really care about that, takes away some of the danger :)

cheers

No storages should be in non pk area. Will make people think about using more than one storage unlike how it is on main server. Trades can be done on IP or in pk area.

I think maybe we should be able to teleport from IP to different parts of whitestone. So like 4 or so possible spots to teleport within ws. Would take a group effort to have pkers on them all.

Edited by PowerWarrior

You teleport to the portals room, you got 15 seconds to get to any banner to teleport to wherever you want.. cant be attacked in that time.

The delay is only 10 seconds currently.

I'm not sure you can get through the C1 portal room in 10 seconds (especially with map load times). I know you can't get through the C2 portal room that fast.

The delay is only 10 seconds currently.

I'm not sure you can get through the C1 portal room in 10 seconds (especially with map load times). I know you can't get through the C2 portal room that fast.

Use teleport ring if you want to be safe. Portal rooms should never be safe.

Don't really like the options avalible either, how about just have it like it is now and add Molgor as a safe area (the same area that you can't mix in). Possibly add ws-docks too other then that I think it is just fine.

Well, the results of this poll have really surprised me. I was figuring some sort of a bell-shaped curve around the most popular choice:

X

XXX

XXXXX

XXX

X

But what we got is a strong polarization of votes:

XXXXX

XXX

X

XXX

XXXXX

So we have (as of this post) 15 votes (41%) wanting a map with fewer safe areas, and the majority of 22 votes (59%) wanting the most safe choice (with the only variation being if docks are also safe, or if we rely on the map-change delay).

I think this straw poll was a success in that two clear choices have emerged which could be used for a final poll if Entropy wants to put the decision up for a vote.

Many didn't vote.
As with any poll/vote, those that don't vote have no influence on the final result.

Many didn't vote.
As with any poll/vote, those that don't vote have no influence on the final result.

You made this poll, so it wont have any result at all.

Thats maybe also the reason some people didnt vote. The way I + many others want it, cant be chosen.

Typically people will select the choice closest to what they want rather than go unheard.

In any event, I figure that Entropy will either make an executive decision (perhaps taking this poll into account, perhaps not), or, he'll make a much simpler final poll of perhaps two choices (based on the results of this one). If you didn't like the multiple choices presented here perhaps you'll prefer those Entropy provides.