Eternal Lands Official Forums
Tauren

Harvesting skill

encyclopedia -> attributes -> harvesting:

"Harvesting is used to calculate the failure rate when you are harvesting or mining"

I believe it needs to be changed to something along the lines of:

"Harvesting affects the speed at which you harvest or mine"

or if the chances of random events are affected at higher levels, and I am honestly not sure whether it is or not, it will need re-wording nonetheless. I don't think a "failure rate" is an acceptable term to be used for random events.

i dont think so. i recently left a noob sitting harvesting veg on IP with harvest level 0. since rec level for veg is 20, and he got to level 12 with one click from me, failed harvests can only slow down harvesting, and the stopping harvesting without a message is just a random event

What I think people are being confused by is that the random event probability is calculated at the moment you attempt to harv/mine another ore etc.

When your level is low, of course you fail less. On average it takes way longer to hit a random event but this is because it also takes way longer to harvest that ore.

Like I said in my previous post: I am unsure if the probabilities of hitting a random event are affected by your harvesting level, but the probability sure isn't affected by the speed at which you harvest.

I think this is from the old times, when there was no auto harvesting, and you had to click for each harvest.. then, each harvest could fail or succeed (correct me if i'm wrong)

I think this is from the old times, when there was no auto harvesting, and you had to click for each harvest.. then, each harvest could fail or succeed (correct me if i'm wrong)

Sorry, you think what is from the old times? the encyclopedia explanation of harvesting or what you think I'm trying to say?

Anyway, I'm not speaking of the old times, I'm speaking of the present.

If you try to harvest vegetables at level 0 harvesting, yes it is going to take a long time to pick one vegetable. The probability (chance) that a random event will happen is calculated after every harvest. You either pick up another vegetable, or hit a random event. If you try to harvest vegetables at level 50, the time it takes to pick up one vegetable is greatly decreased. But once again the same situation applies, after every harvest, you have a chance of hitting a random event or not.

Whether you are harvesting a vegetable every second or every minute, hitting a random event is still calculated during every harvest. When the speed at which you harvest increases, the time decreases, and each harvest is calculated more quickly. If the probability of a random event doesn't change, then yes it is going to seem like the "failure rate" or random events are going to increase, whiel in actual reality, they haven't.

Harvesting does not calculate the failure rate, but instead calculates the speed at which you harvest. The astrology calculates the failure rate...

I'm not sure that what follows is 100% correct, but afaik:

you can fail harvesting, just you don't see the failures and don't stop harvesting, so for example if you try getting vegetables at lvl 0, you'll fail like 49/50 and so you get 1 vegetables out of 50 attempts, so it will appear to you as being very slow at harvesting; the higher your level, the less you'll fail, so it will looks like you harvest faster.

Sorry, you think what is from the old times? the encyclopedia explanation of harvesting or what you think I'm trying to say?

Anyway, I'm not speaking of the old times, I'm speaking of the present.

The current auto harvest is basically just doing the clicks for you, you can still fail (afaik). I think Theryndan worded it better ;)

yes its still the same system as in the old days just automated, you could fail harvest back then, and you

still can, which just means there are sometimes longer waiting times from one Harvestable to the next

harvestable you get, got stated quite alot on forums allready iirc

I'm not sure that what follows is 100% correct, but afaik:

you can fail harvesting, just you don't see the failures and don't stop harvesting, so for example if you try getting vegetables at lvl 0, you'll fail like 49/50 and so you get 1 vegetables out of 50 attempts, so it will appear to you as being very slow at harvesting; the higher your level, the less you'll fail, so it will looks like you harvest faster.

This makes a lot more sense now, thanks. I suppose the explanation is correct then, even though it is confusing :confused:

Sorry for reviving an old argument, but the encyclopaedia's explanation of harvesting might be technically correct (see below why I say might), but as an explanation to the player it can be compared to explaining combustion theory when explaining why a Formula 1 car runs faster than the family sedan, and thus from a game play perspective it is uninteresting.

What is interesting to the player is that the harvesting speed increase with increasing harvest level.

I have made several tests timing my harvest speed at high level items (dung, yew, and tree mushrooms) and the speed is constant within my ability to measure individual harvests. And when timing 10 or more harvests the number is constant until my harvest level increases. The only thing that does affect the time it takes for a full 120 yew is the number of events and whether or not my food level is positive. This indicates that there is very little if any chance involved in the time it takes to successfully harvest an item.

This indicates that there is very little if any chance involved in the time it takes to successfully harvest an item.

Or... due to the laws of randomness and big numbers (although 10 isn't big. Imagine failing 49/50 out of each 1 u harvest. That would mean you harvested 500 and failed 490. 500 IS a big number) that effect just evens out, and u perceive it as being equally long...

'But i agree it should be changed =)

"Harvesting is used to calculate the failure rate when you are harvesting or mining"

"Your harvesting level is used to calculate the speed at which u harvest" , which is what it does essentially, who cares how it is calculated.

Just my 2 cents

I don't see the purpose of removing something accurate for something inaccurate. Why don't you just append?

"Harvesting is used to calculate the failure rate when you are harvesting or mining. Thus, as your harvest level increases, your failures decrease and the speed of which you harvest items increases".

Sadly, even that isn't 100% accurate. Each harvestable item has a base harvest time that you can not harv faster than no matter what your level.