Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Restoration based on rationality

The idea is to have a mage class, where the Rationality attribute will pay a more important role.

For example, the restoration spell will restore 10 points per rationality level.

Are you totally against this system, or are you willing to give it a try? I'll make a poll later, after people discuss about it.

seems to me more like an obligation to take at least 10 rationality, then you can restore 100 which should be enough.

To really have a mage class, the offensive spells should be more powerful too, but that is very hard to balance

I definitly like the idea, being able to back the fighters up with powerful remote heals and such, instead of only using magic to augment fighting would be really cool. its a delicate balance not to overpower it though.

Im up for it!

Given that it's a new server, and all the rules can be re-written without causing problems for people who have already used PPs or achieved levels, I think we should step back an look at the larger picture. That is, instead of a focused solution for one small thing (like to tie restore to an attribute), look at the whole system.

So, we have three aspects that affect skills:

Nexus - usually used as a hard required limit to make something.

Attribute - mixed down to cross-attributes that affect aspects of skills (like charm might get you a double summon).

Skill Level - usually controls what you can make/do (sometimes as a hard limit (like magic) sometimes as a soft limit (line alch/craft/manu/etc)) and your success/fail rate.

Taking one skill, magic (since that's the subject of this thread) there are (at least) four aspects:

Can you cast the spell - controlled by skill level and sigils. Could also be limited by Magic nexus.

Success rate - controlled by skill level.

Strength of the spell - controlled by skill level.

Range of the spell - not currently used.

So if we step back, we might come up with something like this:

Spell Casting - controlled by Magic Nexus and Sigils. If you have both, you can cast, but will probably fail if your skill level is to low.

Success rate - controlled by skill level.

Strength of spell - a base strength based on skill level with an additional delta based on an attribute (rationality, or ethereality perhaps).

Range of spell - a base range based on skill level with an additional delta based on an attribute (I like perception for this on since that also affects how far you can see).

For magic, I think most things should be based on skill level. If you're level 80 you should not fail, and be able to cast far and hard. But adding in the attribute as a delta says that using some pick-points can get you a bit more than someone who doesn't. A level 70 mage might be able to cast the same strength/range as an 80 if they use a few PPs on the appropriate attributes.

I guess I'm saying I don't like simply tying restore to rationality, but instead develop a well thought out change to the current system.

Umm... So basically you just described how it is on the main server.
Not really even close. Let's see:

* Main server uses magic level as a hard limit for being able to cast.

* Main server does not use any attribute for strength of spell (the basic premise of this thread).

* Main server doesn't even implement the range of a spell.

* Main server doesn't use nexus to control the ability to cast a spell.

I'm not saying all those should be done, it was just some ideas. But my post does describe something very different than what's on the main (does require more than just skimming it though) and something beyond simply associating the strength of a spell with an attribute.

Edited by bkc56

Yes but you need many more offensive spells (edit: and spells in general) to make a real mage class, if these are coming so much the better.

Edited by Deified

Im totally up for it .. (need new forum name perhaps this one can be deleted witout any warning because ive been bad boy?)

Would mean more will :P will is good already but i think it really adds something to the game/combat aspects of it)

:D

The idea is to have a mage class, where the Rationality attribute will pay a more important role.

For example, the restoration spell will restore 10 points per rationality level.

Are you totally against this system, or are you willing to give it a try? I'll make a poll later, after people discuss about it.

Ent, this idea is amazing, i was hoping EL would have mage class someday.

Great idea :D maybe after people love it it'd be a good idea for the main server :P (dejavu?)

Its good idea for test it on pk server because Its new server for testing new class of "mage". But many players use 90% of all spells only restoration spell and they are not mages but priests.:(

Main server is different. People spent many pps for not Racionality cross attribute and they will need spend many pps for racionality for good healing in fights.

I dont think that healing class of "mage" will be popular because Its little boring. Just a watch fighter hps and heal him. I tried to play priest in other games and Its very important role but You stay on the back of the group and watch fighter hps and pray for no lags and "tank" will not die. If "tank" died then other members of group died too if they arent good.

And I dont want EL like "Looking for healer for train. PM me."

im willing to give this a try.

im not sure about developing a mage class to be honest, the need for a mage would be pretty annoying. just modify the current magic skill slightly, then we dont all take coord every time.

Why rationality, not ethereality? :)

It sounds like a good idea however it depends on how this class is aquired and how it affects normal combat too.

Personally I think taking a mage class should have penalties in normal attack/defence combat style.

Just making it hard to aquire is an option however eventually everyone can achieve it after long hard work. And by that time they're most likely already powerful. I think the class should be avaliable for everyone and it would be a choice between a fighter or a mage.

I'm not saying a mage can't wear armour or a mage can't train attack and defence, I'm saying they should have some kind of penalty in melee combat.

Personally I enjoy not having to worry too much about my pivk points due to being a non-fighter 99% of my gaming time. I also enjoy being a mage. I've already spent inorganic nexuses, vegetal nexuses and vitality/will attributes to supply myself with HE:ME:SR and have mana.

In the sense of max ethereal there is already a mage class perhaps? The problem being that no matter what your max ethereal, it is only a bonus ontop of the amount of SRs you can carry and drink, and only if you have time to recover it. That does produce the sort of meditators that mages should probably be though :blush:

Basically this will change the way I wish I had distributed my pick-points, and as someone that is happy being pretty inefficient with pick-points and never want to #reset, this may put an extra strain on me.

But, I am mostly just a remote heal caster, and there are alot of magic users out there. If it severly affected offensive spells too it would force potentially strong fighters to choose between brute and magic, which might eventually promote the stereotypical weak-in-combat wizard and the weak-in-magic barbarian. And as for my never reset plan and happy with my inefficient pps conviction, I will adapt to the changes.

Oh and...

I'm not saying a mage can't wear armour or a mage can't train attack and defence, I'm saying they should have some kind of penalty in melee combat.
I agree, and I think that is why pps are being suggested as a necesity for being a mage, that it will draw pps away from the combat attributes.

Oh and...

Its good idea for test it on pk server because Its new server for testing new class of "mage"
The pk server is a pay-to-play server for pking, not for testing. If you want it tested, put your own time into testing it on the test server. Edited by kailomonkey

Good idea, for sure want to try it.

Though the Magic Immunity spell must be different somehow, if you want people to be able to become a mage.