Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lumino

Christmas Event

UPDATE! SOME TIMES/DATES HAVE CHANGED. PLEASE READ THE TIMES BELOW TO MAKE SURE YOU SHOW UP AT THE CORRECT TIME.

Hello everyone! Lumino here again, and this time with an exciting Christmas event for all of you out there who want to combine holiday spirit and Eternal Lands (I assure you it can be done :D). So without further ado, I bring you...from the producers of the Eternal Lands Gala...

The Eternal Lands Christmas Festival, 2007!

(Made possible by everyone who helps/donates, the guild ALoA for her contributions, and the community :))

Now, this isn't going to be like the Gala was, a huge party for socializing and games, but rather a series of contests. This event is in three parts, each of which is a chance to win prizes (Altogether, our prizes total 50k in value!). Here's how it works...

Saturday, December 22nd:

4 PM GMT: Santa Claus will be arriving in Eternal Lands by sleigh ride so he can attend the weekend event. If you want to welcome him to Seridia and have a chance to win a prize in a fun contest (you won't know what the contest is until it happens, but I assure you something is bound to go wrong and we will need your help), log into EL at 3PM GMT and get on the events channel. You will get instructions there about where to go. Prize will be an iron greaves, an iron cuisses, and 5k.

6 PM GMT: With Santa safely settled in, all that's left to do is make the Christmas pies for the party. Lumino insists that he can handle it on his own, but chances are he will need some help. Head on down to the WSC Palace Kitchens to give him a hand and have a chance to win a great prize along the way. Prize will be a rostogol stone.

Sunday, December 23rd:

4 PM GMT: Finally, the actual party! Everyone who pre-registers will be taking part in a Yankee Swap (explained below) and afterwards, a contest to be announced at the party for another prize. The party will be in the Library of the WSC Palace. Changed to the main throneroom of the WSC Palace for simplicity. Prize will be a MoL and a serp stone.

How A Yankee Swap Works

Everyone who wants to take part in it must first go out and get a gift. It could be anything, from a cape to a small sum of money, or a rare stone or weapon. Whatever is within your price range is just fine. Give your prize to me at or before the party, and I will register you. Let's assume we get 10 participants. Once at the event, you will all be randomly assigned a number, 1-10. The person who got #1 goes first. We received 10 gifts, so they get to choose a number 1-10 which will be assigned to a particular gift (the number you drew for order of play isn't the same as the number of the gift you gave). They 'unwrap' the gift and I will tell them what they got. Then person #2 goes, then #3, and so on until completion. Here's the twist: after you open your gift, you are free to trade gifts with ANYONE else who has already opened their gift. They MUST trade with you if you request it. So, clearly, the best number to draw assuming there are 10 people is #10, because you get the choice of any gift! We all keep the gifts we get :)

Ok, sorry I have to be vague about the contests at the three events, you will find out more at the actual event! You can be sure that they will be fun and innovative, however :cry:

Remember that all times are subject to change :cry:

If you have any questions whatsoever, feel free to ask here. Also please comment on your thoughts or if you can help/donate.

SUMMARY:

-Three part event over two days, 22nd-23rd

-50k of prizes

Special Thanks to: Lexi, Krakas, Baloney, for their donations so far. And to my wonderful guildies who have been very supportive :cry:

See you there! :cry:

-Lumino and Company-

Edited by Lumino

I could donate a sum of gold for the event, I seem to be getting a fair bit of money lately anyways :P .

If i'm lucky i may be able to participate (maybe even help :confused: )

I'll try to show up, will be on vacation with family but I'll see if I can make time. :(

P.S. I can also participate in the "Yankee Swap", but I'll have to give item later on when I'm sure if I could ake it.

~kGn

Sounds fun but it may be hard to make people swap gifts if they like the one they have enough :(

I'd come but work is much more fun... :/

When you "open" a gift I won't actually give it to you for exactly that reason. It is just understood that you have it. If at anytime people start to forget what others have you can just ask them, they oughta remember :P

-Lum

They MUST trade with you if you request it. So, clearly, the best number to draw assuming there are 10 people is #10, because you get the choice of any gift! We all keep the gifts we get

This means Person #1 can't trade anyone.

#2 can only trade #1

#3 can only trade with #2 and #1

And should you only be able to trade once?

Right? Cause if not.. I can see a lot of trading going on until someone gets like an EFE, yet it'll be taken again from someone, going around in circles.

I also think groups of 10-25 would be nice.. just so we don't have to wait HOURs and HOURs trying to figure out who has what... seriously... over 100 players 0.o I wouldn't even be able to remember the last gift wrap after that.

They MUST trade with you if you request it. So, clearly, the best number to draw assuming there are 10 people is #10, because you get the choice of any gift! We all keep the gifts we get

#2 can only trade #1

#3 can only trade with #2 and #1

And should you only be able to trade once?

Right? Cause if not.. I can see a lot of trading going on until someone gets like an EFE, yet it'll be taken again from someone, going around in circles.

I also think groups of 10-25 would be nice.. just so we don't have to wait HOURs and HOURs trying to figure out who has what... seriously... over 100 players 0.o I wouldn't even be able to remember the last gift wrap after that.

Yep, you've got it all right. I've played the game in real life at an annual holiday party, it's a blast. One person every year brings this dud gift, this statuette of a woman playing in tennis, and whoever gets stuck with it brings it the next year. Its hilarious :blush: And yes, we will limit registration to 20. Maybe 25. The game shouldn't take longer than a half hour, if even. The pace will be quite brisk. So drawing #1 is a drawback because you're stuck with what you got (unless someone trades with you).

Hopefully the game will be as fun in EL as it is in RL :blush:

-Lum

I'll be at a LANparty those 3 days :blush:

I think I will be playing some other games than EL ^^

But have fun and who knows, I might even show up.

I definitely wanna join in on the celebration then!

Aww Lumino :P

I Love your events :(

Although I work most weekends, I dunno my scheduele yet, but I can at least make it for the 21st \o/

(most likely) :)

I definitely wanna join in on the celebration then!

Awesome--see you there :)

Aww Lumino :P

I Love your events :)

Although I work most weekends, I dunno my scheduele yet, but I can at least make it for the 21st \o/

(most likely) :)

I love having you at my events! :P Hope you can make it!!

I still need at least 2 more people or these events can't happen :P Donations welcome as well.

I really only need one more person who can work the Sunday event. You can still do the Yankee Swap, you will just need to also help out with an event. I should be able to manage the Friday event on my own, and someone volunteered for Saturday already (identity will be secret until after the event in this case :))

We seem to be all set on prizes. Unless you have something really cool you want to donate I think we will be all good on that front.

Happy Holidays,

Lumino

-Lum

Edited by Lumino

And by the way, I just want to make the following clear...

I am aware that not everyone celebrates Christmas. By all means that doesn't mean you can't come to these events. Jewish, Buddhist, Taoist, Hindu, whatever church you're from, or really anything. I don't care. In the spirit of the holidays, everyone is welcome, and we will keep "religious talk" out of the event. I just don't want to call it like "Holiday Festival" because I'm sick of all this political correctness. Anyway, if I call it "Holiday Festival" then atheists get left out. And "Winter Festival" is no good for people in the Southern Hemisphere. You get my point :P It's staying Christmas for now :)

Lum

Hope it all goes great lumino, so sad i can't be there or help out... this is like the gala all over again :)

I'll see if I can manage to provide that prize i mentioned, wish I could do more to help.

I've also played this in real life, but #1 was the best one to be because once it was all over, they got their pick after #10. That ensures that every player had the opportunity to trade with at least one person.

I'm not sure how much I'll be able to participate because of RL holiday festivities, but this looks like great fun! Hopefully I can sneak away and join in for a little.

Edited by sygon

I've also played this in real life, but #1 was the best one to be because once it was all over, they got their pick after #10. That ensures that every player had the opportunity to trade with at least one person.

I'm not sure how much I'll be able to participate because of RL holiday festivities, but this looks like great fun! Hopefully I can sneak away and join in for a little.

That's the way I played it in real life too! But I thought that might be a little confusing so I decided to take it out, but you make a good point about everyone being able to trade...Maybe I will change that for the actual event.

-Lum

Small update...due to some issues with times, the Friday event has been relocated to an earlier time on Saturday. I know this may be most inconvenient for some of you. Hopefully it all works out.

ALL TIMES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BETWEEN NOW AND THE EVENT.

However, in all probability, these are the actual times.

EDIT: Another update. I have decided to change the rules slightly as sygon suggested...the person who draws #1 goes first AND last. If my explanation of the yankee swap didn't make sense, here's one I found online...

http://www.yankee-swap.net/yankee_swap_rules_official.PDF (its a pdf so make sure you can view them)

EDIT #2: Updated the first post with the new times and prizes. In addition, the first event meeting place is no longer WSC. Just come online and join the events channel. In case of more updates, the most recent information will always be edited into the first post of this thread.

-Lum

Edited by Lumino

Sure, i'll be there. Time is great for me!

Should be fun :icon13:

P.S. The way the yankee swap works will be explained more clearly? :medieval:

The first event (3 pm GMT) takes place at 7 am US/Canada westcoast time. A bit early?

Yes, unfortunately. But that's the way it worked out, can't be fixed unfortunately :mace: Well we will catch a lot of Europe at that time and some of the Americas. Maybe even some Asia/Australia! :P

P.S. The way the yankee swap works will be explained more clearly? :whistle:

If the yankee swap doesn't make sense, check this link:

http://www.yankee-swap.net/yankee_swap_rules_official.PDF (its a pdf so make sure you can view them)

If you still don't get it, all you really need to know is come to the party with a gift. It will be easy to understand once we start.

Glad you two can come :)

You too Ferny :D

See everyone there,

Lumino

Edited by Lumino

ALERT: MINOR EMERGENCY :)

I am sorry to report that I have just received notice of a mandatory event on Sunday during the event time. We have two options:

1. Move th event to Monday (Christmas Eve) at the SAME TIMES (6 PM GMT)

2. Keep the event on Sunday, but begin at 3PM GMT (early for some I know...) We can also try 4 PM GMT if its easier.

Neither of these is ideal. But I need to know which is BETTER. So post here on which you would prefer and I will make the call ASAP. Really sorry that this happened :(

Lum

Edited by Lumino