Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Attributes cap for the main server

Attribute caps  

410 members have voted

1. 1. Cap each attribute at 48

• Yes!
    • OMG WTF no way!11!!

It is pretty sad ent, if that's going to happen what's the point?

Restore should heal based on Magic level, at the very least it should restore 75% of your overall HP rather than 100%

Magic is still really lacking in EL, you cannot be a pure magic fighter, spells are simply not powerful enough, hopefully you got plans to fix this.

Well, basically, there are two kind of caps, and I will implemeont one of them:

1. Hard cap: You can't go over 48, and that's it.

2. Soft cap: You can get to any level you want, but would be stupid to do so.

Right now, getting lots of phy/coo is the way to go, the way our forefathers always done it. So it is not so surprising to see that everyone is doing that (with some small exceptions).

The new system will actually sort of kinda require to have a more ballanced character if you want to stay competitive in combat, but will not otherwise affect those who do not fight too much.

Everyone having to be a slave to an attribute is cool. We all do that to get the most out of the game to better our characters. The linking restoration to rationality makes everyone a slave to the same attribute. Yes you could choose between will and reasoning but the point is the same. Everyone has to go to the same well instead of choosing which attribute to focus on.

TirunCollimdus

You mean that instead of everyone being a slave to the phy/coo, now they will have to chose will/reasoning as well? My oh my, so sad.

Yes it is sad. If you go ahead with the cap which most people voted for then non has to be a slave to any attribute. Why force everyone into the same narrow mold when you don't have to? Forcing people to take 4 attributes out of six kind of eliminates the diversity that the cap idea was supposed to espouse in the first place. Why go from saying we want everyone to have choices to saying you want everyone to have no choice? A cap is by far better than changing the restoration spell. Everyone likes the ability to personalize the development of their characters. Why take that away from everyone when you don't have to?

TirunCollimdus

ive solved it !!!!!!! Instead of putting a cap on everyone, or giving a PP reset , just delete everyones charachter, shut down the servers and book a holiday to the Carribean and f. everyone else !

No but honestly, the more I read about the cap on attributes the more I like it, and the more I think about it the more I think it will improve the dynamics of the game and not detract from them, think about it this way if your a fighter : if everyones got 48/48 p/c , then your actual SKILL levels will become important, and im not for one minute saying you will ever be able to catch anyone who is 100 levels above you but you might be able to team up on someone like that and stand a chance.

It would actually be really really useful in alot of ways, for instance there will be more essences and potions and armors required because there will be alot more fighting, the mixers of EL might finally make a profit from something LOL

Saving that, i still think the Caribean idea would save everyone the most time hehe just trying to lighten the mood, but really will it be SO bad if it means it levels the playing field a bit in PK and ALSO means people will have to work together to fight certain monsters ?

In a way, nobodys going to loose anything from having a cap on attributes , i mean how many people plan on getting to OA 144 anytime soon ?

Yes it is sad. If you go ahead with the cap which most people voted for then non has to be a slave to any attribute. Why force everyone into the same narrow mold when you don't have to? Forcing people to take 4 attributes out of six kind of eliminates the diversity that the cap idea was supposed to espouse in the first place. Why go from saying we want everyone to have choices to saying you want everyone to have no choice? A cap is by far better than changing the restoration spell. Everyone likes the ability to personalize the development of their characters. Why take that away from everyone when you don't have to?

TirunCollimdus

I am happy to see that we have such an expert in MMOs here. Maybe we can hire you to design our game? What kind of salary and benefits package would you want?

Hi all.

I dont understand the reason of recently changes.

The first problem was removal stones, whit this some people can buy a lot of pp and other no.

Now all people with same atributes ... I dont have high skills and not too much time in this game ... but with 48 of top ... then I finished this 'Eternal' game

Hi all.

The first problem was removal stones, whit this some people can buy a lot of pp and other no.

Now all people with same atributes ... I dont have high skills and not too much time in this game ... but with 48 of top ... then I finished this 'Eternal' game

You're absolutely right... you only need 288 pick points to get every attribute, not counting any nexuses, or perks. Ent, what kind of bar are you setting for us, I'll have this thing "beat" in no time.

TirunCollimdus

I am happy to see that we have such an expert in MMOs here. Maybe we can hire you to design our game? What kind of salary and benefits package would you want?

Actually I have been playing RPGs since I was 12 which is 27 years now. I do know alot about gaming systems. I always examine a system before I start using it. I had a sophomore college level vocabulary and reading level back then so yes I was capable of studying the gaming systems from the start. Dungeons and Dragons Blue Box by the way. :D

A job would be nice but since you only accept volunteers the salary would be nil and the benefits would only be the game getting better. :) I have spent a lot of time and effort supporting your ideas. You have a lot of good ones. Just because I don't agree with you about linking restoration to rationality does not mean or imply that I am a better game designer than you or your team is. I think the analysis put into most of my posts shows I have a pretty good understanding of gaming mechanics. I also believe I am correct that more people would accept a cap than they would changing restoration.

The last poll about changing restoration did not go well which backs up my opinion considering how positive the response to the cap is compared to the response on that. Just trying to see it the way the majority of the community does. :)

TirunCollimdus

In most every game I've played (and I've been playing this kind of game since dirt was invented) fighters pay a penalty for their fighting skills (usually in the form of sucking at magic.) Wouldn't it be possible to make magic more realitive to rationality? Especially restoration and heal other perhaps? It's rare to see a fighting healer, or a healing fighter. If fighters couldn't do a full restore, they'd either need a teammate healer or would have to back down on what they fight (this can be extended to all of magic imho.) It would also make the use of will/reasoning more important and hence make people choose their pick points a bit differently than now. This might also enhance pk as now you have a true mage involved in the game and the mage might be able to use his power as effectively as the fighter.

I think this is the best post in the whole thread.

At the time I implemented the restoration spell, there were no CoL/MoL, and people didn't have more than 120hp at most.

Linking restoration to rationality (say, 10hp healed per point of rationality) would solve most of the problems, and there won't even be a need for a level cap.

And, of course, the ranged skill will change how you allocate the points as well.

If this also applied to remote heal, harm, poison, and other spells, you'd end up with a mage class that could be very effective :D

:D all hail TirumCollinbus ! * trumpets and red carpet * PARP PAR PARR PAAARP * :)

If this also applied to remote heal, harm, poison, and other spells, you'd end up with a mage class that could be very effective :D

Yes, but for these the magic level would be more important.

Hi all.

I think that adding a cap on attributes will add a new way of freshness to the game, it certainly doesn't make it worse, that's one thing. But it will be bad for the people whom we call "phys noobs" :D Now they can't get all neg perks and fill it on phys to get mad hp.

In most every game I've played (and I've been playing this kind of game since dirt was invented) fighters pay a penalty for their fighting skills (usually in the form of sucking at magic.) Wouldn't it be possible to make magic more realitive to rationality? Especially restoration and heal other perhaps? It's rare to see a fighting healer, or a healing fighter. If fighters couldn't do a full restore, they'd either need a teammate healer or would have to back down on what they fight (this can be extended to all of magic imho.) It would also make the use of will/reasoning more important and hence make people choose their pick points a bit differently than now. This might also enhance pk as now you have a true mage involved in the game and the mage might be able to use his power as effectively as the fighter.

At the time I implemented the restoration spell, there were no CoL/MoL, and people didn't have more than 120hp at most.

Linking restoration to rationality (say, 10hp healed per point of rationality) would solve most of the problems, and there won't even be a need for a level cap.

And, of course, the ranged skill will change how you allocate the points as well.

I agree with this, a mage type with good harm or poison could be a good fight or even rival a fighter if stats were set right. A summoner whith high charm for the pets.They could even work together on the larger monsters, the mage is the healer, the fighter is a meat shield, summoner extra damage, or however. This could promote more team work. It just depends on the path you take.

Yes, but for these the magic level would be more important.

Agreed, the higher skill would most important but if you had crappy rationality, the spell might should be crappy too :)

I was doing a survey in Spanish community and the same result.

A great number of mates like this idea, but all high lvl are very, very angry

A lot of work, and a lot of real money now are tuncated. Just people more faithful with this game.

Conclusion: Who have low lvls like this idea (most players), but put a limit in this 'Eternal' game. The sacred and venerated players dissapear.

TirunCollimdus

Quite often players have their fingers much more firmly on the pulse of a game than the designers, they are the ones who use and and play the game.

It is much better to allow diversity, in many MMOs there are certain builds or classes which own all the others no matter what. This is exceedingly boring as eventually everyone makes one of these to be able to effectively compete.

games like GuildWars (just an example not a plug -_-)on the other hand enable you to own using any class, it all depends on skill and your build, making EL like this will be much the better option :D

(and yes I am an expert on MMOs, having played many, many of them and watched some die and others flourish. Never underestimate the players of your game.)

Edited by Deified

i dont see the sense why not just making it based on Magic Skill instead of an Attribute :D

After all its my KNOWLEDGE about something that makes me better in it, and not an Attribute where im

able to count 1+1 together and can tell what is good and bad :):)

i dont get the idea behind that..

Edited by Scorpius

I was doing a survey in Spanish community and the same result.

A great number of mates like this idea, but all high lvl are very, very angry

A lot of work, and a lot of real money now are tuncated. Just people more faithful with this game.

Conclusion: Who have low lvls like this idea (most players), but put a limit in this 'Eternal' game. The sacred and venerated players dissapear.

Some of the highest level players in the game support this idea. This will make you A/D more important then P/C. I personly think with P/C maxed Reasoning maxed I would be much stronger then I am now, with more mana, charm, perception. As Entropy has said perception will soon be very important? at overall 118 I dont have an extra 20 pick points to put on attributes to raise perception. With the current system, all fighteres will be walking around blind. No one will sacrifice the 10-15-20 million xp between 2 pick points (sorry if this seems low to the likes of Masterpiter, no idea the amount the top 5 overall need for a new pickpoint) for anything else but cooridination. With enough coordination I can pawn players 20-25 A/D levels higher then me, and there is something not right about that. A/D should be more valued in fighting.

Hi all.

You're absolutely right... you only need 288 pick points to get every attribute, not counting any nexuses, or perks. Ent, what kind of bar are you setting for us, I'll have this thing "beat" in no time.

I dont like the kind of game that you propose .. I dont need do all of all ... dont like eat bones, see so far at night or summon two creatures.

I like progress in areas that I'll decided only, without low limits

(and yes I am an expert on MMOs, having played many, many of them and watched some die and others flourish. Never underestimate the players of your game.)

Aww, those that mean that you will leave if I make the changes?

In case you missed it Dogbreath EL is a classless game. Everyone is able to do everything in the game or do as little in the game as they choose. Yes magic does not have the same power as melee in EL but then again magic is much cheaper too. Summoning requires Enriched Essences but spells do not. You loose your summons but getting enriched essences is not that hard compared to needing NMT to protect the stuff you fight in. It isn't as hard as replacing titanium and steel armors and great swords. There are a lot of summons that don't even require enriched essences and are still pretty strong. Charm has already made summoning stronger with the double summon chance. Magic is getting stronger with a lot of the spells being moved to level based.

If magic was as powerful as melee what would be the point of all of that gear and money going down the drain all of the time as a fighter? I don't think it is time to add classes to EL.

TirunCollimdus

snip.. read above if you want to see

more snip...

In case you missed it Dogbreath EL is a classless game. Everyone is able to do everything in the game or do as little in the game as they choose. Yes magic does not have the same power as melee in EL but then again magic is much cheaper too. Summoning requires Enriched Essences but spells do not. You loose your summons but getting enriched essences is not that hard compared to needing NMT to protect the stuff you fight in. It isn't as hard as replacing titanium and steel armors and great swords. There are a lot of summons that don't even require enriched essences and are still pretty strong. Charm has already made summoning stronger with the double summon chance. Magic is getting stronger with a lot of the spells being moved to level based.

If magic was as powerful as melee what would be the point of all of that gear and money going down the drain all of the time as a fighter? I don't think it is time to add classes to EL.

TirunCollimdus

Maybe that's what's trying to be fixed here? :) Making how you spend your pick points more important and adding more flavor to the idea of class? Now everyone has to choose and think. This doesn't make hard classes, and you could choose to be balanced, or one sided, that's the idea, choice :)

Edited by DogBreath

No disrespect to you radu you have put ALOT of time into making this game what it is. BUT i am from the UK and the government here does whatever they want to make SOME people happy. Im not saying dont lower the cap, just think about HOW you can make EVERYBODY happy. If you want to make the game more realistic think about real life and how fair that is. People who cant back it get stepped on, im in an ongoing courtcase where i havnt done anything wrong, but yet the defence gets all the help = unfair. I live in a ruff area so by playing this game i can get away from things i dont like or want to see anymore. If i can have higher stats than other people it gives them a reason to work harder to beat me, a goal. Imo by putting any cap on attributes takes away a goal in this game. Just like life if everybody had the same stuff in life it would take away the reason to live, people live to better each other-life is a compertition.

BoneS