Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Attributes cap for the main server

Attribute caps  

410 members have voted

1. 1. Cap each attribute at 48

• Yes!
    • OMG WTF no way!11!!

Voted yes, with a lil' hope that p2p races will get 50pp/attrib limit, so I could get 1k emu so the bonus from buying p2p race will be something more than just fancy look :(

I don't know if there is any chance that Entropy will reconsider or compromise but if he chooses to give the clear majority of the players what they want then I think racial caps for attributes are a necessity to finally make a difference other than looks. I think it is a great way to give P2P races another further benefit to encourage more monetary support for the game even if it is not donations. This would really make the game a lot more interesting too. :D

TirunCollimdus

I,m with lochnesslobster...i would have to reset to get rid of the neg perks(which i certainly would not have taken if i had any idea the attributes would be capped), being at oa105, there is no way i am resetting again :omg: The main attraction to this game is the fact that there is no limits or restriction on how you build your character..this kills that idea.

i agree for this reason i vote no

I voted yes - We had this a long time ago (A cape on attributes). Then, it was kinda lame, because the cap was soooo low.

If this does go into effect, I wouldn't mind seeing everyone get a mini reset, and gain all their pick points back.

I think that 48 cap is way too low. 60 would be better if implemented. I have 32 coord right now while having A/D around 30, so having 75% of maximum with those levels seems a little wierd.

I wont vote.. rather i refuse to vote.

I personally dont mind fighting a TooMass or a Pkingduck who have like 100 coords more than me :P

and bring me to hell anyways. sure im upset for the moment but oh well

life goes on... and just gives me a thrill to work harder on my stats. :mace:

I dont see the real sense behind capping it... its just like, ok i play through a game.. hmm im done.. what

now... as mentioned before allready i love the game having no restrictions.. the competition... the

adrenaline.. i love that.

To what Korrode allready said with the spawns, if the attributes will be capped to 48 there will need to be

more dcw and Feros Spawns (just seeing that from my point of view). It always goes like this for me:

I ts down, go to NRM Feros, full, thelinor, taken (or giant sneaking next to em :omg: ).

anyways... i follow those who say 48 is too low, capping it at 100 is quite a goal to go, takes a tad of time

and is still very decent to do alot of other stuff.

Radu.. if you would let more informations flow over your tounge how exactly you plan is for the cap, i will

vote, as it is now its only "Want a cap? Yes/no/please dont vote both"

(btw could someone tell me what the current status of the vote is lol? :) )

In most every game I've played (and I've been playing this kind of game since dirt was invented) fighters pay a penalty for their fighting skills (usually in the form of sucking at magic.) Wouldn't it be possible to make magic more realitive to rationality? Especially restoration and heal other perhaps? It's rare to see a fighting healer, or a healing fighter. If fighters couldn't do a full restore, they'd either need a teammate healer or would have to back down on what they fight (this can be extended to all of magic imho.) It would also make the use of will/reasoning more important and hence make people choose their pick points a bit differently than now. This might also enhance pk as now you have a true mage involved in the game and the mage might be able to use his power as effectively as the fighter.

I think this is the best post in the whole thread.

At the time I implemented the restoration spell, there were no CoL/MoL, and people didn't have more than 120hp at most.

Linking restoration to rationality (say, 10hp healed per point of rationality) would solve most of the problems, and there won't even be a need for a level cap.

And, of course, the ranged skill will change how you allocate the points as well.

I,m with lochnesslobster...i would have to reset to get rid of the neg perks [...]

This might not be necessary [...]

"This might not be necessary"?? I'm just saying if this one goes thru I'm out period. I don't want to argue the merits of one way or the other. For me the beauty of this game was that you could be anything you wanted without restriction. no set classes and no restrictions.

Neither I want to argue with you. What I meant was that it might not be necessary to reset in order to get rid of negative perks, which was what EvilEd was assuming: other, less painful means of getting rid of negative perks could easily be devised.

I was not saying that it might not be necessary for you to leave the game -- that's another issue altogether, and you are the only one who is qualified to say something about that.

"let those who wish to Ambush, Bagjump, and Insult beat each other's brains out with store-bought weaponry." (one day i will get the hang of this quote thing :omg:)

First of all if u are on a pk map u know the risks.

Second most bagjumping happens in the mines or at stores and is a common occurance (its not illegal just rude).

Thirdly Insults happen anywhere and has nothin to do with a cap on attributes, arseholes are arseholes regardless.

Fourthly. If someone has bought a weapon from the el shop...so?

I would also like to point out there are people who train on creatures and/or pk but also work other skills, its called being an 'all rounder'.

Having a decent a/d doesnt mean u are into pk but so what if u are :)

However i do like the cap idea for the reason it makes your SKILL (what u worked for) mean something. Anyone can go neg out and have ebul p/c, But if u have trained a/d u have trained a skill just the same as craft or manu etc etc.

The only problem i do foresee is not enough spawns to go round but i am pretty sure ent forsees this and has a solution in mind.

Edited by Stormie

In most every game I've played (and I've been playing this kind of game since dirt was invented) fighters pay a penalty for their fighting skills (usually in the form of sucking at magic.) Wouldn't it be possible to make magic more realitive to rationality? Especially restoration and heal other perhaps? It's rare to see a fighting healer, or a healing fighter. If fighters couldn't do a full restore, they'd either need a teammate healer or would have to back down on what they fight (this can be extended to all of magic imho.) It would also make the use of will/reasoning more important and hence make people choose their pick points a bit differently than now. This might also enhance pk as now you have a true mage involved in the game and the mage might be able to use his power as effectively as the fighter.

At the time I implemented the restoration spell, there were no CoL/MoL, and people didn't have more than 120hp at most.

Linking restoration to rationality (say, 10hp healed per point of rationality) would solve most of the problems, and there won't even be a need for a level cap.

And, of course, the ranged skill will change how you allocate the points as well.

If this is the idea you chose to go with then I don't think 10 points is going to work. 52 PPs spent to heal only 300 health? That would lower p/c almost as much as the cap but not quite and would really hurt the lower level players considering how many pick points would have to be for rationality for low level healing. If it was not at least 15 I don't think anyone at all would want it. Even at 20 health per point of rationality it takes a 15 rationality or 22 pick points spent to get 300 health restored. Crowns of Life and Medallions of life would lose almost all value. Crowns of Mana might take their place since you would have to restore so many more times.

This idea takes someone with a 120 coord down to 68 even with only 10 health per rationality point. No cap they can still buy nexus as they go to bring their coord back up. It would be just a bandage not a cure. It would take a person with only 60 coord down to 8 coord to get back their restoration spell. That means death because your coord is too low. Yes they could pull points from other attributes but still this idea hurts the people at the bottom the most.

The cap at least does not hurt most players. Taking CoLs and MoLs out of the game means a lot of wasted time for a lot of people getting those items. Making everyone lose health by chosing mana and still having to carry more essences to cast more restorations will cripple most players. This is a very bad idea IMO unless it takes around 1 rationality for 20 health. That will make restoration still be more useful than casting remote heal on yourself or just casting heal over and over. The cap is a far better idea and helps more players and hurts fewer players. I would vote for a cap of 48 before I voted for this idea.

TirunCollimdus

LOL, I am good with this... I would only lose 50 hp to the restoration. But really... some pp reimbursement would have to take effect.

I think this is a good option too. So glad I do NOT have to make the decision. Instead just my opinion.

If this is the idea you chose to go with then I don't think 10 points is going to work. 52 PPs spent to heal only 300 health?

I hope you realize that those points are used for other things as well, not just healing, yes?

If this is the idea you chose to go with then I don't think 10 points is going to work. 52 PPs spent to heal only 300 health?

I hope you realize that those points are used for other things as well, not just healing, yes?

Yes. I spent a lot of time looking into attributes and I had a 20 rationality before my harvesting reset. I had 20 reasoning and 20 will and was headed for 22 will at the time I decided I needed to fill up my storage and level in the schools since I was going to reset anyway. I very much appreciate what those points could do even before perception was working and reasoning became worth more. My point is that those points become mandatory for pretty much everyone in game and make everyone a slave to rationality instead of just the PKers being slaves to coord. A cap with the current restoration spell at least gives us options.

TirunCollimdus

Right Resoning affects Dexterity, Instint affects reaction. Charm is very nice for a summoner. Vitality for a fighter, and will for a mage. With a cap of 48/52/60 what ever it may be will provide millions of conbinations in ways to build your charater. This is a great idea in my opinion.

After reading some of the posts and thinking for a while I decided to vote 'yes' (was thinking 'no' at first :omg:) ... let's see what happens now :)

My point is that those points become mandatory for pretty much everyone in game and make everyone a slave to rationality instead of just the PKers being slaves to coord. A cap with the current restoration spell at least gives us options.

TirunCollimdus

Well, the idea is that everyone has to be a 'slave' to some attribute. That's kind of how the attributes were originally designed, you know? Only that for a long time, some attributes were not really used (perception, charm..)

Now, with the coming of arrows (they will be implemented in less than 6 months), you will need perception, and need lots of it.

My point is that those points become mandatory for pretty much everyone in game and make everyone a slave to rationality instead of just the PKers being slaves to coord. A cap with the current restoration spell at least gives us options.

TirunCollimdus

Well, the idea is that everyone has to be a 'slave' to some attribute. That's kind of how the attributes were originally designed, you know? Only that for a long time, some attributes were not really used (perception, charm..)

Now, with the coming of arrows (they will be implemented in less than 6 months), you will need perception, and need lots of it.

I think you said it best that everyone has to be a slave to an attribute, It will be nice where not every one is a slave to the same atttibute, adding more varity is a great thing.

TirunCollimdus

Everyone having to be a slave to an attribute is cool. We all do that to get the most out of the game to better our characters. The linking restoration to rationality makes everyone a slave to the same attribute. Yes you could choose between will and reasoning but the point is the same. Everyone has to go to the same well instead of choosing which attribute to focus on.

TirunCollimdus

Everyone having to be a slave to an attribute is cool. We all do that to get the most out of the game to better our characters. The linking restoration to rationality makes everyone a slave to the same attribute. Yes you could choose between will and reasoning but the point is the same. Everyone has to go to the same well instead of choosing which attribute to focus on.

TirunCollimdus

You mean that instead of everyone being a slave to the phy/coo, now they will have to chose will/reasoning as well? My oh my, so sad.

Ok, after reading all the posts -- including those of Tirun :omg: -- I'm still in favour of the cap. 48 or 52 seem pretty reasonable levels to me, with a possibility of revising the cap in the future.

I understand the issue has been decided by Ent already, but just in case: I think there should be a way to spend PPs (those got back from the cap) to get rid of negative perks (by giving back the PPs obtained), maybe with the addition of some gc.

So, just for the records, voting yes.

TirunCollimdus

You mean that instead of everyone being a slave to the phy/coo, now they will have to chose will/reasoning as well? My oh my, so sad.

It's true though :) . People would reduce a bit of p/c and add to will. And Will>Vit.

I still like cap more. :omg: