Eternal Lands Official Forums
Vegar

Bug tracking system

Well, for some bugs I already supplied a solution patch, so somebody with CVS RW might have a look at it and commit it. (Or scream at me)

As long as they're uploaded to the relevant bug listing on Mantis, you've done your bit ;)

I accidentally assigned a bug to AlvieBoy earlier (it was directly related to his client popup stuff) which probably isn't the best practice. I think it's best if people pickup bugs as and when they're working on them - that is, that they assign the bug to themself on Mantis and then code away - so we can keep the bug tracking ball rolling (and prove to Ent it's a Good Thing).

Well, for some bugs I already supplied a solution patch, so somebody with CVS RW might have a look at it and commit it. (Or scream at me)

As long as they're uploaded to the relevant bug listing on Mantis, you've done your bit ;)

I accidentally assigned a bug to AlvieBoy earlier (it was directly related to his client popup stuff) which probably isn't the best practice. I think it's best if people pickup bugs as and when they're working on them - that is, that they assign the bug to themself on Mantis and then code away - so we can keep the bug tracking ball rolling (and prove to Ent it's a Good Thing).

:P It was my code, and I think no one had messed with it before, so was pretty much quicker to do it that way: I solved the issue and commited the changes and closed the bug. Was much quicker because I was emailed immediately after you assigning it to me - took me only 3 or 4 minutes to do it.

You can always assign stuff to people which seem to you the most appropriate - and those people can reject your assignment, based on some reason they have.

Otherwise, we'll end up with lots of bugs not assigned to anyone because none is brave enough to pick them up.

Álvaro

;) It was my code, and I think no one had messed with it before, so was pretty much quicker to do it that way: I solved the issue and commited the changes and closed the bug. Was much quicker because I was emailed immediately after you assigning it to me - took me only 3 or 4 minutes to do it.

You can always assign stuff to people which seem to you the most appropriate - and those people can reject your assignment, based on some reason they have.

Otherwise, we'll end up with lots of bugs not assigned to anyone because none is brave enough to pick them up.

Álvaro

That was my gut feeling. I knew you worked on the code, I knew you'd be notified immediately (email) and I knew you could ultimately reject it. I guess this comes down to standards of practice (I'm too used to corporate arrangements and 'ways of doing things').

I may continue to do it if I feel that I'm 100% right (like in the above case). The risk is that I may not have enough knowledge on the particular bug to be doing it in the first place - in this case, it can simply be left unassigned.

[Edit] spelling errors...

Edited by Placid

Are the Mantis email options working OK. I've only ever received one email from mantis, I would have expected more. I've checked my spam filters can can find nothing in there.

edit: tried to make sense!

Edited by bluap

Are the Mantis email options working OK. I've only ever received one email from mantis, I would have expected more. I've checked my spam filters can can find nothing in there.

edit: tried to make sense!

Works for me .

Are you sure your host doesn't do any filtering?

Works for me .

Are you sure your host doesn't do any filtering?

Working fine for me too.

Well, I doubled checked my filtering and my logs and confirmed my ISP filtering was off. I did get two mails today, that makes a total of four. I have all the options ticked in my Mantis profile. I guess I was expected to get mail when new reports were posted at least. These are the ones I received, I believe I have added notes to them all, should there be more?

Subject: [Eternal Lands Client 0000012]: -DFIX_NORMALS causes client to crash
Subject: [Eternal Lands Client 0000015]: Passed an NULL mutex, disconnected fr
Subject: [Eternal Lands Client 0000018]: Wrong Health Bar Length
Subject: [Eternal Lands Client 0000024]: Healthbar & Text Not Resizing On Zoom

I looked last night and I hadn't received anything. I remember upgrading postfix a day or two ago, so this may have caused some issues. I'll have a look tonight as a matter of urgency.

Thanks to all who've reported the timestamp issue. I'm pretty sure it's just a display problem (albeit a rather crucial display), and I'm currently in a 3-day conversation with someone on #mantishelp. I'm not in screen 100% and the replies are somewhat delayed.

Apart from the two issues above, how's this working for everyone? Do the developers feel it's something that's working and that could be used on a more permanent basis? Is there anything that you think needs changing?

It is working, but I think it should be a developers only thing, and only programmers or people with a strong understanding of computers should post there. Everyone else should post on the forums.

It is working, but I think it should be a developers only thing, and only programmers or people with a strong understanding of computers should post there. Everyone else should post on the forums.

I kind of get that feeling too. I think it works best as just a developer oriented site, as it keeps the postings and notes purely on a technical level. I do keep an eye on both this and the Bug Reports forum, so it's just a matter of making sure things are in sync.

What do others think?

I think it's working quite nicely, and I have to say I agree with the essence of Entropy's last post. Personally, I think there should be more organisation around development and bug fixing/finding. A specific team dedicated to managing the bug reports forum that would report new bugs on mantis, lock duplicate report posts here in the forum, etc., would be very helpful.

Oh, yes, one more thing:

We should create a meta-bug for each new release with the title "Needs to be done before 1.x.y", and then make the meta-bug depend on the bugs that _must_ be solved before the client can be released. (make them childs of the meta-bug). This way it'll be easier to know what needs to be resolved before the release. Bugs like #26 are good examples of this. It'll give a good overview of the status of the next release.

Oh, yes, one more thing:

We should create a meta-bug for each new release with the title "Needs to be done before 1.x.y", and then make the meta-bug depend on the bugs that _must_ be solved before the client can be released. (make them childs of the meta-bug). This way it'll be easier to know what needs to be resolved before the release. Bugs like #26 are good examples of this. It'll give a good overview of the status of the next release.

I completely agree. A perfect example of why bug-tracking systems are so handy - they allow you to categorise bugs under releases, and make it a lot easier to track the status of a particular release (and great for historical information, too).

The posting timestamps should now be fixed. I placed putenv("TZ=Europe/London"); in the config_inc.php page, and this seems to have changed things (check the date at the top of the page when viewing a bug).

Thanks to Vegar for the fix.

Apart from the two issues above, how's this working for everyone? Do the developers feel it's something that's working and that could be used on a more permanent basis? Is there anything that you think needs changing?

I like it. Feels more organised and easier to identify what needs doing and who's doing what. The only, minor downside is it's starting to feel more like proper work, I'm doing this for fun. :)

The only, minor downside is it's starting to feel more like proper work, I'm doing this for fun. :icon13:

Heh, I use Mantis at work too :whistle:

It's, let's say, weird, to have both opened at same time. No stresses.

Álvaro

I like it. Feels more organised and easier to identify what needs doing and who's doing what. The only, minor downside is it's starting to feel more like proper work, I'm doing this for fun. :icon13:

Heh, that's a very good point. Maybe I'll put some flash games on the top just to make it a little less work-like :whistle:

Could you please add "Operating System: all" to the choices for OS?

Some bugs apply to all OSs.

Like I said earlier, the OS field is for the reporter's OS, but sure, I can add All to the list, no problem.

Like I said earlier, the OS field is for the reporter's OS, but sure, I can add All to the list, no problem.

I reported this problem for Mac OS X and WinXP :blush: (My linux box has no graphics hardware and VNC is too slow for EL on a 400MHz CPU ...)

Hey,

I have a question about the flow.

What does exactly "acknowledged" mean ?

And what's the normal flow for a bug entry ?

Álvaro

Hey,

I have a question about the flow.

What does exactly "acknowledged" mean ?

And what's the normal flow for a bug entry ?

Álvaro

I think that it means: Ok, we are aware of this issue, and we'll see what we can do about it (it's not confirmed, just aware that it exists).

As for the bug flow, I would see it as this:

Reported, acknowledged, confirmed, fixed.

Of course, only the Fixed stage really matters, so if you can fix it right away, there is no need to go through the other stages.