Eternal Lands Official Forums
Zenial

New #sto design disadvantage

With the new #sto design, this causes me to stop what ever it is I'm doing(harvesting, mixing etc).

I don't think this should be so, In my opinion, a player should be able to remain in action when this command is used.

Also, #sto <item> was a very helpful before 1.5.0, It would be much appreciated if this was still usable.

Thanks for reading,

Zenial :hehe:

Both of these items have been mentioned elsewhere (but never together in the same thread). And I agree with both, especially the ability to search with: #sto <pattern>.

I am fine with the new behavior of the #sto command (much more useful than the old, endless item list), but add me to the list of those who'd also like a comeback of good, old #sto <item> :hug:

Rehdon

You can always type #sto before you start mixing/harvesting w/e and keep the window up and go thru the things you have in there :(

Ok the new #sto command is great I think. Before if you typed in with a spelling error it would tell you that you had "none" in inventory. The fact that you stop harvesting when you type in #sto is not a big deal. If you have a harvest event you stop also. It makes it much easier than to find what your looking for in your storage and I like it very much. GREAT IMPROVMENT! :(

On some maps and under some circumstances #sto even does nothing, doesn't open the sto window :(

Could you state which maps (or at least one) and what circumstances please?

I wonder if it would be possible to make the storage window open at a specified category. Something similar to #sto weapon would open it in Weapon tab.

I agree with some people above - I miss #sto <pattern> command. On the other hand the usability of #sto command is much better now.

I love the new storage command as well. I don't have to read through 100 lines to see what all I have/need. Having to click on a tab doesn't bother me either.

Could you state which maps (or at least one) and what circumstances please?

Happens to me in Bethel often, especially if I haven't visited any sto from logging on

All in all, I'm not happy with this feature as it is now. As other people pointed out too:

• Not possible to generate list for "entire storage sell" on forums
  • Not possible to search fast, like `#sto gold`

These can be fixed, I believe.

Just add GUI button to display storage, also display it on `#sto`.

Also, make search available with `#sto` argument, and make printing all sto available by `#sto all` lets say.

I agree with vytukas, please bring back at least the #sto <pattern> command behaviour, i get crazy finding potions o even worse with books!!! Also the harv interruption it's quite noisy if you're chatting & harvesting or just planning what to do after finishing a load.

There are technical reasons why it is not easy to do that. We'll do it sometime in the future.

Theoretically you could pick up "#sto name" parsing from client source and move parsing to server side so that client would simply receive parsed list. Isn't that as simple as it sounds?

But sending the whole list would be too hard, and consumes too much bandwidth.

#sto - always brings up the storage dialog and only prints the number of slots used.

#sto <pattern> - never brings up the storage dialog and only prints items matching the pattern. If bandwidth is an issue, it can limit the list to the first 100/50/25/10/whatever matching items it finds.

So give the above definition:

#sto (works as it does now)

#sto coin (works as it did before printing out the number of gold coins in storage)

#sto fire (works as it did before printing out everything with the string "fire" it it, possibly truncated if there are to many matching items)

Edited by bkc56

#sto - always brings up the storage dialog and only prints the number of slots used.

#sto <pattern> - never brings up the storage dialog and only prints items matching the pattern. If bandwidth is an issue, it can limit the list to the first 100/50/25/10/whatever matching items it finds.

#sto coin (works as it did before printing out the number of gold coins in storage)

#sto fire (works as it did before printing out everything with the string "fire" it it, possibly truncated if there are to many matching items)

Exactly. No need to send the whole list, and I guess any search would give a far smaller number of items, so that there's little load on the server (just like the #know <pattern> command works).

If this has to wait until the next client update (don't know what it takes to change behavior of #sto ...), would it be possible that #sto doesn't interrupt harvesting in the meanwhile? I'm otherwise very glad with browsing the store window away from store.

Rehdon

Here's another suggestion:

Rather than return a list of item descriptions which get printed to the console, "#sto xyz" could open the read only storage window as normal but populate a new category called, maybe "filter/search/find" or some such, with the items matching the passed string "xyz". That way, the server is only sending a small number of bytes per item. This could probably be done now, without a client change, just a server change (just may be the wrong word). For the next client update, we could go further and add a "search" text box to the storage window (or a pop up text entry box to keep the window small). The user could type in the text and get the "search" category refilled with the new results. As a final bonus, we could add a "print" button to the GUI that requests the full descriptions which would then get written to the console.

Also, I think the storage window should capture the slot count message and display it in the window.

Exactly. No need to send the whole list, and I guess any search would give a far smaller number of items, so that there's little load on the server (just like the #know <pattern> command works).

If this has to wait until the next client update (don't know what it takes to change behavior of #sto ...), would it be possible that #sto doesn't interrupt harvesting in the meanwhile? I'm otherwise very glad with browsing the store window away from store.

Rehdon

What has Entropy has said, ia this will have to be a SERVER change! Just wait until that gets up highe enough on the server list.

With the new #sto design, this causes me to stop what ever it is I'm doing(harvesting, mixing etc).

I don't think this should be so, In my opinion, a player should be able to remain in action when this command is used.

Also, #sto <item> was a very helpful before 1.5.0, It would be much appreciated if this was still usable.

Thanks for reading,

Zenial ;)

Ok, I agree with most but don't understand the answers or problems regarding the old #sto function. In any way, I believe thats the case if you say so, and here is my suggestion:

Make it a simple option. "Bring up storage for viewing only, or use command".

Remove the function for "#sto"-only to print entire storage, and it prints: "Use #sto <item name>".

At least #know still works this way :D

<3

Tvinn

What has Entropy has said, ia this will have to be a SERVER change! Just wait until that gets up highe enough on the server list.

I'm not sure I understand the "has Entropy has said" part: couldn't find "server" mentioned in Ent's posts. I guessed it was a server change but, not being a tech guy, I wasn't sure (could involve the client not popping up the store anymore AFAIK). Thanks for the info anyway.

Rehdon

Thanks for reading,

Zenial :)

Ok, I agree with most but don't understand the answers or problems regarding the old #sto function. In any way, I believe thats the case if you say so, and here is my suggestion:

Make it a simple option. "Bring up storage for viewing only, or use command".

Remove the function for "#sto"-only to print entire storage, and it prints: "Use #sto <item name>".

At least #know still works this way :P

<3

Tvinn

The #know function uses data that the client already has in order to display what you want. The old #sto always got the complete list from the server every time (up to 300 lines of text) and then sifted through them just for the few lines you needed. It was common for a single #sto coin to get 4k-6k of data from the server before the storage limit update. This means that people using multiple #sto <item> commands to check on a several items, can cause a lot more bandwidth usage on the server then you expect (and then multiple by # of players & 24x7).

When Entropy gets back to this, the #sto filtering will end up in the server, removing all of that excess data from being sent.

The #know function uses data that the client already has in order to display what you want. The old #sto always got the complete list from the server every time (up to 300 lines of text) and then sifted through them just for the few lines you needed.

Ah well, and I thought I was saving server bandwidth when I used #sto <pattern> ...

Rehdon

So why isn't the list be cached by the client, and refreshed interaction with a storage point/NPC?

There could be situations where a character's storage content changes in their absence, but then its also valid to say that they'd only find out the next time they go and actually look.

Ah, I realized when it does not work.

Sto doesn't show up when fighting.

If you are harvesting, you stop harvesting by requesting #sto.

Are there any specific reasons for these limitations?