Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ocle

Ocle's Balancing Rants

Guest ocle

Fighters have to distribute their pick points too thinly. I believe every attribute except Reasoning adds to fighting, but im not sure.

As well forcing a mage to level Toughness along with Ethereality is kind of stupid. And vice-versa for the fighter.

Ive also noticed that at a certain point leveling becomes impossible, its like doubling a penny every day for a month, only, the percentage increase in that case is 100%, while in our case its like 20-10%, which only means rather than it doubling every level, it only doubles every few levels. I believe there should be a maximimum amount of exp between levels. Like 2million or something. Because 50million exp for just 1 level is impossible, and it keeps doubling!!!! It wont be easy, but atleast it is still possible to level if a maximum is set.

Also, from what I can tell, it seems like making potions will be like 4x harder to make on the new server. I have a feeling leveling fighting will end up like leveling summoning. Spending 10 hours making potions for only 1 hour of actual summoning.

I believe essences shouldn't have any weight. After all, what is an essence? It looks like some spritual floating energy, how can that have weight?? This is the same reason most people still use rings even after they can use the portal room. A ring takes up 1 EMU, whereas you need 7EMU for the essences to tele once, not to mention the extra slots. Atleast if its weightless, it would be balanced in favor of the portals room and become casually used instead of rings. Otherwise, why even call it magic?

You have a very interesting point, Ocle. I am going to have to agree with you on this one. Magic is magic... You've never seen Merlin pull out essences from his bag or heard of Magicians on D&D pulling out bone powder to conjure a being. It's always been auras and essences which is actually, like Ocle said, weightless.

-OSM

merlins magic was pure energy thats for sure but there are as many diffrent kinds of magic as there is games. and in fact, in dungeon & dragons some magic require you to have some material object available, one interesting spell is called spider crawl, and in its description it says that the person to gain the ability have to eat a live spider :) (just to make the point clear, its the character, not the player, that have to eat the spider)

Just thinking... Right now, mages are limited partially by the number of Spirit rest potions they can hold, and the number of essences. One counts against the inventory slots, the other against the max. weight.

If you make essences weightless, that means a mage may be able to carry over a thousand of them in a single inventory slot. It may result in magicians becoming too powerful.

True that their EP would eventually restrict them, but nevertheless, if (let's say) the Potion of the Magi (restores 50 EP) comes into play, you could have a player carry 30 of those, and 1000+ essences into a battlefield. That would be a little unbalanced, don't you think?

Just thought it would be a reasonable objection to make.

-Ly-

I also wants to object some :D ... Sorry Ocle

No really, I do sincerely disagree on some points.

Ive also noticed that at a certain point leveling becomes impossible, its like doubling a penny every day for a month, only, the percentage increase in that case is 100%, while in our case its like 20-10%, which only means rather than it doubling every level, it only doubles every few levels. I believe there should be a maximimum amount of exp between levels. Like 2million or something. Because 50million exp for just 1 level is impossible, and it keeps doubling!!!! It wont be easy, but atleast it is still possible to level if a maximum is set.
Think about it .. is the ability to learn more in your real world constant? .. Well it ain't in my. The learning ability diminishes over the years, and even in the end you even have trouble keep what you have learned. And really, how much can you learn about how to drop a pickaxe on a stone? Repeated skills becomes so welltrained that they becomes a reflex, and at that point there is not much more to learn. .. And why should this game be so much different from the real world in these cases?

Think about the gamebalance. What would the consequences of such change you ask for be? .. It will be practically impossible to catch up with those of higher levels.

And what level are you really aiming at before you actually starts to play the game? How fun can it be to just walk around like a mindless robot, only collecting experience? What is the ultimate goal in this game, to be the dude that got higher stats? How boring. ... How about to start Roleplay a little and take the experience you learn over time you play.

I believe essences shouldn't have any weight. After all, what is an essence? It looks like some spritual floating energy, how can that have weight?? This is the same reason most people still use rings even after they can use the portal room. A ring takes up 1 EMU, whereas you need 7EMU for the essences to tele once, not to mention the extra slots. Atleast if its weightless, it would be balanced in favor of the portals room and become casually used instead of rings. Otherwise, why even call it magic?
Duran and Lyanna has already given very good points about this.

Some fantasyworlds it is like you want it .. magic without mass. But in this one they got mass. And for a very good reason, BALANCE.

Think the essences like small pebbles, glassmarbles or that essence-charged characters gains temporarly weight in a magical way. Use your imagination here.

------------

But I can agree that the EM system could be a slight adjusted. Increase all EM relatively. I mean, An Ironsword that got the same mass as 2 leathergloves? Really? Is it very heavy leather we are using or is the iron surprisingly light? ... ehhm Well enough of my ranting :roll:

Guest ocle

Magic has a very big restriction called Ethereal, it is probably the weakest link when it comes to magic. And it is a good thing that it is there, no doubt.

I'd also like to point out that catching up isn't impossible. And it wouldn't be any more difficult or easier either way.

Anyway, im pretty content with the new level system.