Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ishan

Tailoring and reality

Just my 2 cents...i don't usually post on these forums cause i like 99.99% of all the ideas but i do have a little issue with the new Tailoring skill..

I know it was said from the start that the tailoring skill will be HARD, but where in the definition of hard do we find unrealistic? I have never seen a LOOM that could only produce 1 piece of fabric...i think the Loom, being a tool for the tailoring skill should be treated the same as all the other 'tools' in game and be given a 'break rate'...maybe i'm jumping the gun a little with my complaint maybe it will be changed...but as i say this is my 2 cents

L33t, formally known as Ishan

i totally agree, so ill give also 2 cents :medieval:

it is just not normal again, just to preduce 1 white fabric it costs 70gc ea (20gc thread, 50gc loom)

i really hope it can be changed soon, thanks

Just my 2 cents...i don't usually post on these forums cause i like 99.99% of all the ideas but i do have a little issue with the new Tailoring skill..

I know it was said from the start that the tailoring skill will be HARD, but where in the definition of hard do we find unrealistic? I have never seen a LOOM that could only produce 1 piece of fabric...i think the Loom, being a tool for the tailoring skill should be treated the same as all the other 'tools' in game and be given a 'break rate'...maybe i'm jumping the gun a little with my complaint maybe it will be changed...but as i say this is my 2 cents

I've never heard of a mineral that must be harvested using a sword. Nor do I know of any textbooks that can only be obtained by killiing a rabbit. I never heard of going to mine an ore, and it requires the use of a special cabbage, which is in turn made by mixing up some raw matter and some dirt, nor cavern walls that fall on you while you are sitting a mile away from anything like a wall.

The idea of these things is to increase the difficulty level of some aspect of the game, pure and simple. In truth, how many tailors would make their own fabric from scratch, and their own dyes etc? It is just a game, don't get too hung up on the mechanics.

I've already spent 60k-ish to level tailoring, and guess what... I'm glad! I know that 90% of people in this game cannot do this skill because it is way to expensive.. that way it will leave an opening for a group of dedicated people to be the ones leading this skill...

And that was the plan for this skill, no?

well like i said, was just my 2 cents worth.. i figured could be better idea to maybe make the loom have a break rate and increase the cost of the items in general, maybe make it 40 thread per fabric...i could care less about the cost of it, just struck me odd to see a 'tool' used up in 1 go...but like sadarar said i've also never seen swords used for mining so ty for the perspective there:D

well like i said, was just my 2 cents worth.. i figured could be better idea to maybe make the loom have a break rate and increase the cost of the items in general, maybe make it 40 thread per fabric...i could care less about the cost of it, just struck me odd to see a 'tool' used up in 1 go...but like sadarar said i've also never seen swords used for mining so ty for the perspective there:D

I think the same, more thread, and the loom breakable.

But I'll level no matter what, as soon as I have read the books. :)

The only real problem is the reading time on the books, which can be fixed with a #reset and Will stat build. I don't see anything wrong with how the skill is now. If you know how to make money, then the only hard part is waiting until the books are finished.

Yes, it's going to be an expensive skill, absolutely, but also it's unrealistic to expect that most of us can get good enough at it to make most garments... cause then who would buy them? It's not like we'll need as many robes as fire ess, right?

Anyway, I just hope that more formulas come out soon, and also, that we find out whether a tunic or robe can be dyed AFTER it was made or only the fabric itself before it is made into tunics/robes/hoods whatever. My hope is that these formulas will be implemented in the useful order, otherwise those few that try to level tailoring are all gonna end up with a bunch of white clothes and we'll all look like the wraith :)

lilcnoot

The only real problem is the reading time on the books, which can be fixed with a #reset and Will stat build. I don't see anything wrong with how the skill is now. If you know how to make money, then the only hard part is waiting until the books are finished.

I don't see, how reading a book should make me reset from OA 145 :)

Untill now are only 1 book needed, I think we will have read all before more items will be in game, like some of the higher level armor books.

More thread and a breakable loom would make levelling harder if you make your own thread, cotton is slow to harvest, to buy looms take only few minutes.

And I like to make everything, not to buy what I can make.

So glad I wasn't the only one. I was hoping that somehow (secret yet to be discovered perhaps) on making the looms. I don't buy threads, make my own. But the loom itself, ouch. Having to buy one every time you make fabric or simply buy the fabric seems to be the question now. I just buy the looms myself and make what I can on what gc I have. Then go back to doing something else to make more gc to buy more looms.

I'd like to see the loom became a tool we could perhaps make (make it a not so easy task of course) knowledge required, and breakable. So you're not alone on this one. I'll still read the books, and lvl up my tailoring, as I have all my other skills. I'm just going to have to decide which skills I want to lvl and which will take a back burner to tailoring.

It does seem a bit unrealistic. But shouldn't we wait and see what the other formulas are before we start complaining? I mean most everyone's issue is probably the expense more than any realism. Nobody ever complained forever that we had no spool to put that cotton that became thread on, because it was easy. People are complaining now, because its hard. But isn't the skill supposed to be hard? And what if the dyes are all plants and a vial? then those could be made for exp instead of cloth. And the loom sadness would go away.

Basically I think we should wait and learn more about the skill before making suggestions based on the little knowledge we have.

It does seem a bit unrealistic. But shouldn't we wait and see what the other formulas are before we start complaining? I mean most everyone's issue is probably the expense more than any realism. Nobody ever complained forever that we had no spool to put that cotton that became thread on, because it was easy. People are complaining now, because its hard. But isn't the skill supposed to be hard? And what if the dyes are all plants and a vial? then those could be made for exp instead of cloth. And the loom sadness would go away.

Basically I think we should wait and learn more about the skill before making suggestions based on the little knowledge we have.

It's only hard now for people who don't have any gc, I bought looms for 40k gc yesterday, took me 1 min.

I don't see it as hard.

To harvest a lot of cotton would be much harder, it would be a skill for people who spend a lot of time in game, not for people with gc.

And what we need, is something for people who spend lot of time in game = have already high levels in all other skills.

But I'll make some loom and read the books and wait for another update. :icon13:

I think gc can be hard once you start spending a lot. I've spent far beyond 40k on the skill so far. And Acelon has spent quite a bit to i believe. It is easy, but eventually you run out of gc and have to make more. And spending a lot of gc on it shows comitment to the skill. It may not actually be as much work as harvesting cotton and making thread. But its definately more expensive. And expensive makes it an advanced skill, if not a harder one. But i think its mighty hard to pour several hundred k into a skill :icon13:

Remember, this is a game not reality ... or you'd have to be helping to fill the outhouses that people are harvesting from!

...or you'd have to be helping to fill the outhouses that people are harvesting from!
They already do. As I understand it, there's a direct line from the forums to the outhouses. That provides more than enough "output" for me to harvest. I mean this thread alone will.... ummm.... never mind. :icon13: