Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GarfieldClown

use of different heights

What I am gonne suggest will probably be difficult to create, but probably not impossible.

At least we just got a great update and this can be a thingie to think about for a next one?

Ok, here comes the question I was wondering about:

"Why do small animals have to walk around fences?"

(those animals be rabbits, rats, beavers, etc.)

I know fences are marked as "unwalkable" so there is a need for height per animal (coding - hard?)

Than per object there needs to be something like "unwalkable above this or that height" (coding - again hard?)

It makes sense that if a beaver wants to go from 1 side of the fence to the other side, that he just goes under the fence. Where we humans have to walk around the fence to catch the little creature :w00t: It will make the teleport to range spell much more used I suppose :(

It can further be used for things like caves and stairs:

Gnomes and Dwarves can go into tiny holes/caves, where the larger playable races can't

But Gnomes and Dwarves can't go up stairs with to much height difference (small legs)

And vice versa for large playable races, the can go up those stairs but not into the tiny holes/caves.

Offcourse almost everything -map wise- stays as it is now. I don't want any parts of any maps be excluded for some races. It is only for a few shortcuts that can shorten a trip. Benefit for being small or large, both at certain times, across the world.

Thinking even further ahead, it can even get a use for magic. Example; "I'm feeling small/large today"-spell (or something like that)

But basicly what I am asking for is:

1) Is it possible to make a code for heights per creature and object? so that unwalkable areas become walkable if height < ## feet and unwalkable > ## feet

2) What about my suggestion? Like it? don't like it? Why? etc :icon13:

I really don't want to suggest to keep certain places inaccessable for some races.

Edited by GarfieldClown

If this is possible, it's a great idea. But one thing: The devs wanted all races to be equal and not have advantages/disadvantages between each other (other than fighting books and p2p races). Even with the spell, I think this might be considered a no-no. But again, IF it is possible.

Gnomes and Dwarves can go into tiny holes/caves, where the larger playable races can't

Dwarves ftw! :D

But yeah, I like this suggestion. Good idea :D.

Dwarves ftw! :)

But yeah, I like this suggestion. Good idea :).

Strangely I was in hurquin earlier today thinking about how strange it is that hawks have to fly over the bridge to get on and off the island

I think this won't happen soon, because it would require significant changes to the game engine. Yes, birds should be able to fly over water, we could get ships finally and giants walking over small obstacles etc, but that would require both server code and remaking all maps by including the required information. As I understand EL is pretty simple now - map tiles are either walkable or not, for all creatures. Birds are same walking creatures just elevated a bit, imagine them having long invisible legs.

Disclaimer: I am not EL developer.