Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Update Instructions

... but my question is actually did entropy add the update into the original game download?
I actually wasn't answering your question (I just happened to post after you).

But to (try and) answer your question, the official game download page and the pre-download thread all point to the same stuff. You can download the game, or the "update" (which isn't an update, but a full install); it doesn't matter.

I hope that answers what you were asking.

Actually yes that helps a lot. Sorry I actually thought you was replying that post to my post so I was like uh..? lol but thanks ^_^

Ok absolutly everything was uninstalled and deleted and even did a search to make sure nothing remained... I restarted and installed EL and now everything loads until I get ready to log on and as soon and I enter my user name and password it says this

El has caused an error in <unknown>.

El will now close.

If you continue to experience problems,

try restarting your computer.

And I have restarted.. a few times actually lol. I have a few more ideas on what to try but I am open to suggestions.

By the way even when doing a search I can't find el.ini.. I looked for it before to try install sound before and never found it.. and that was back when my EL client actually worked

Another strange thing I notice is on the el client my mouse pointer appears to be wayyyyy off.. like to click save when I want to say I do want english I have to click about 6 or 7 inches below save.. o_O and I know it's not my mouse.. my mouse works fine on my desktop and on any website I go to and click on stuff..

Edited by Golemer

Just a note. I predownloaded last week and was having lots of problems earlier today. Crashes, images not appearing, etc. I then downloaded again using todays link and installed and all the problems I was having went away. Not sure if this is relevant but I thought I'd mention it.

I posted two links of screenshots to see if anyone can help me see if I have done something wrong? It's the load up and the second link is the error I recieve.. and this is after uninstalling and re installing EL about 3 or 4 times and when I open the el.ini file it looks as if the directory is right but I could be wrong..

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/8329/startnh5.png

and

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/9117/errorgn7.png

Hope those help.. :s

I also tried creating a new character and turning eye candy off and stuff like I seen in another topic but the el client crashed as soon as it opened to create a new character :)

Edited by Golemer

I posted two links of screenshots to see if anyone can help me see if I have done something wrong?
I'm concerned that the first picture shows your personal files as being in: "C:\My Documents\Eternal". That doesn't look right. I'd start by looking into that more carefully and verify where it is, and if EL is looking in the proper place for it.

Wow.. I just checked and my el folder is located in 2 seperate places not sure how that happened.. but one folder contains all kinds of stuff like the el.ini file and maps and so on... that one is located under program files and I found another el Folder under my documents and it only has a folder labeled main and another folder labeled error logs and when I look under error logs.. pretty much anything that can go bad... does lol and the thing most noticable is unknown sound and battle crys it repeats those numerous times and does it for leprechauns and pretty much everything and ends with an error about my spells_golemer.dat I would post the error logs but they are huge and don't want to use a bunch of space.. so I deleted the my documents folder after dragging the main folder and error logs into the el folder located under program files tried logging on again and got the same error and it closed and created another el folde for just logs under my documents.. not sure why it's doing that or what I can do to fix it :(

Edited by Golemer

That's correct and normal for this release to store stuff in two locations. The main part of EL is in (typically) C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands. All the user data is under Documents and Settings. If you delete the Documents/Setting stuff, it will re-create it (which is good).

At this point, you should study the error_log.txt file for clues. Also see my instructions up a few posts about checking the el.ini for the path to the EL folder (#data_dir).

Edited by bkc56

I checked the location in the el.ini file and it states

#data_dir = "C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands"

and the program files is exactly where I told it to download so I don't think that could be the problem could it? Possibly the new update isn't compatible with Windows ME? I mean it worked up until this update which the update didn't seem to huge so I know for a fact memory isn't an issue or space because I still have 16.8 GB's free so space isn't an issue and I have 87 % memory available I am not using anywhere near the max of either.. so I am not sure what could be the problem

I agree, you're #data_dir looks good if that's where you installed it (which is the default).

At this point I'd suggest you delete the error_log.txt file, run the client once, and then study the reported errors for problems.

From what you said above, it sounds like part of your problem has to do with sounds. You might try turning sounds off, or making sure they got unzipped in the correct location (C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\sounds), or renaming that directory (like to sounds-save) to disable sound. Getting rid of the sound errors might fix your problem, or make the real problems easier to find (not hidden in the sound errors).

Speaking of sounds I just recently downloaded the sounds thing entropy posted in the begining of this topic. And it is a zip folder so when I try to extract all it syas nothing to extract.. so it looks like a empty zip folder.. a 30 some mb empty foler lol. But how do I disable sound and music before el opens? Because el closes before I can do anything even does it when I try to create a character.

Yeah just disabled sound and music set it to poor man and I am still crashing as soon as it loads up. I guess Win 98 and Win ME share the sound attributes that make EL crash. But now that sound and stuff is gone something else is making it crash. Let me browse through the error log and see if I can find something else other then sounds that might catch my eye..

ok Done.. checked through the error log and there is LOTS of sound errors and then this is the only thing I found not related to sound

[03:35:50] Error: Server profile not found in servers.lst for server: Lands\el.exe". Failover to server: main.

[03:35:50] Using the server profile: main

[03:35:50] No language set so defaulting to [en] and using language selection window

[03:35:55] Error opening sound configuration file

in between these two there are loads of sound errors.. so I just skipped all of those

[03:36:48] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

[03:36:48] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates150/files.lst

[03:36:48] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates150/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[03:36:50] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates150/files.lst

[03:36:50] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates150/files.lst

[03:36:50] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates150/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[03:36:51] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates150/files.lst

[03:36:51] Failed to download (files.lst) 3 times. Giving up.

[03:36:52] Language changed, was [en] now [en]

[03:37:09] Error: Can't open file "./particles/moon_bubbles1.part"

Last message repeated 3 times

[03:37:09] Error: Can't open file "spells_golemer.dat"

Edited by Golemer

Last time I bought a xp disc I tried upgrading to xp but it kept skipping some things and freezing so I ended up reformatting and putting windows ME back on it so not sure.. maybe there is just some random drivers needed updated? Because my OEM which is gateway offers 1,000's of drivers just not exactly sure what I would need to update >.< oh and those errors when you go to the link they appear to be french and I don't know french so I have no clue what to do lol. Myabe I should have took french in high school :(

Edited by Golemer

I'm confused, i downloaded it but cant see a new client in th package. Deleted and downloaded and installed again but still the same.

Probably did something wrong but no clue what, *blushes*

Oh and i'm on windows xp.

Thank you for the help.

edit: al found, feel rather stupid now :(

Edited by Sasiro

Ok I have updated drivers sound card and graphic card.. still no such luck getting el to open and I have looked through my entire error log and find nothing but a bunch of sound errors.. still looking through and trying lots of different things.. so I am still open to suggestions if anyone thinks they know what might be wrong.

Runs fine, only 1 problem i noticed so far:

[15:03:36] Warning: Didn't find your data_dir, using the current directory instead. Please correct this in your el.ini . Given data_dir was: "H:\Eternal Lands\"

Is the space in the data_dir causing a prob? Because the path is all right...

I did a complete reinstall, including downloads (just to be sure I had everything right, after wiping el completely from my machine.) I had problems with sounds zip from the link posted above. It seems the file is corrupted (did it twice to be sure, wasn't able to open with winrar or zip tools.) However, I was able to get from downloads link on main EL site, and it worked fine. Just an FYI.

Maybe it's just me but I don't understand why so many are having problems downloading the new client. If you were able to download the older version.... :P

Hello guy,i have 1 problem:

Log started at 2007-11-26 19:46:04 localtime (Hora estándar central (México))

[19:46:04] Error: Server profile not found in servers.lst for server: Lands\el.exe". Failover to server: main.

[19:46:04] Using the server profile: main

[19:46:04] No language set so defaulting to [en] and using language selection window

[19:46:04] Could not read console.xml

[19:46:04] Could not read errors.xml

[19:46:04] Could not read help.xml

[19:46:04] Could not read options.xml

[19:46:04] Could not read spells.xml

[19:46:04] Could not read stats.xml

[19:46:04] Could not read titles.xml

[19:46:06] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/font.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)

[19:46:06] Error: Can't open file "mapinfo.lst"

[19:46:06] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/login_back.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)

[19:46:07] Error: Can't open file "harvestable.lst"

[19:46:07] Error: Can't open file "entrable.lst"

[19:46:07] Error: Can't open file "knowledge.lst"

[19:46:07] Error opening mines configuration file: mines.xml

[19:46:07] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file textures/cursors.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)

[19:46:07] ...etc

Ent posted a pre-download thread to address the download issue. If too many people are downloading at once, it goes very slow or you don't even get a connection to the host server.

And to connect to test server, you should make a copy of the EL shortcut, then right-click the new shortcut, click properties, change name to EL Test Server, and change the target by adding a space and the word test after the quotation marks. Example: "C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\el.exe" test