Eternal Lands Official Forums
0ctane

Macintosh OS X client 1.5.0 bugs thread

ehm... :( so, is there a working OpenAL Framework to use (no crash and no hiccuping)?

I can think of 4 options:

- OpenAL shipped with Tiger --> not tried

- Outnumbered framework --> hiccuping

- Latest release of OpenAL from www.openal.org -->crashes

- OpenAL compiled from bugfree source (in this case, can someone provide a makefile/Xcode project)

which one to modify/use?

Tnx for help

EDIT

@Florian: full screen works in PowerPc

Edited by Fedora

ehm... :( so, is there a working OpenAL Framework to use (no crash and no hiccuping)?

Yes, 10.4's OpenAL.

/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL

@Florian: full screen works in PowerPc

Switching to fullscreen or starting fullscreen?

both starting and switching. But just now i noticed that after a switch some graphical bugs appears: invisible dropped bags and perspective errors (seeing strange polygons through rocks)

I crashed while map changing, and when i logged back on my FPS was incredibly small around 20-50 instead of 90+. Tried all sorts of things, turning off eye candy and other special effects, and changing load of other settings. None had any effect whatsoever. I know this could just be my computer, but it was working fine before.

And the maps keep flickering rapidly to blank blue and back to normal for most every move my mouse makes.

Yes, 10.4's OpenAL.

/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL

Sorry to bother again, but i overwrote that Framework (my bad :cry: ). Where can i find the right one? i searched the Tiger DVD but cant find it. Latest Framework downloaded by creative site gives random crashes...

Sorry to bother again, but i overwrote that Framework (my bad :cry: ).

Lol. same here :D

It's either in the Xcode package (you should compile with -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk anyway!) or in the Tiger .11 complete update

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...oupdateppc.html

Use Pacifist to extract only /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL

(or contact me on ICQ and I'll send it to you)

Edited by Florian

downloaded and updated my system (now 10.4.11) but the bug remains and i get the same backtrace as before with gdb. This means the shipped OpenAL is buggy, at least for ppc. I will try to compile my own openAL package...if anyone knows where to start, pls leave me a PM :)

Is your Xcode the latest version? I have 2.5.

el_osx is linked to /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Versions/A/OpenAL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)

no need for -I include path since -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk is set

Could you send me the copy&paste patch, please?

you need to add "-framework Carbon" in makefile

platform.h: #include <Carbon/Carbon.h>

Carbon.h is already included and AFAIK the OSX gcc automatically includes the Carbon Framework

I'll try to make the apple keys work :)

It works!! I compiled latest openAL source and overwrote the Tiger Framework. No crashes, no hiccuping. :D

If someone needs the library it is here: http://www.ilmiomenu.altervista.org/OpenAL.zip

just unzip it and copy the OpenAL.framework directory inside /Library/Frameworks overwriting the old one (make a backup first :) )

Edited by Fedora

It works!! I compiled latest openAL source and overwrote the Tiger Framework. No crashes, no hiccuping. :D

Great! That is what I originally did for EL 1.3 and 1.4. I was hoping 1.5 could use the latest OpenAL from Apple, but I guess not. I will update my release with the latest OpenAL from source too.

[edit]As Fedora and I both found out, this did not solve the problem. The client can still crash due to an audio bug. Live on the bleeding edge, or disable sounds.

Edited by 0ctane

For those that are interested in building their own Mac client, I have posted instructions over here. If you have trouble building the client in XCode, use that thread and not this one.

The audio bug is in update_sound(). I had a crash after a couple of hours of smooth playing. It is a "Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.

Reason: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at address: 0x00000000"...so it seems a NULL pointer lurks somewhere. Just recompiled with debug support and added printf here and there to find out the guilty pointer :medieval:

0ctane, would you like a specific category setup on the trial EL bug tracker? It may assist you in development if Mac specific bugs were categorised.

In theory, this would be great. However, it s often difficult to separate general bugs with OS specific bugs. We can discuss this via PM.

The audio bug is in update_sound(). I had a crash after a couple of hours of smooth playing. It is a "Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.

Reason: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at address: 0x00000000"...so it seems a NULL pointer lurks somewhere. Just recompiled with debug support and added printf here and there to find out the guilty pointer :medieval:

Yup, I get crashes in the same update_sound function.

On the day of the update, I downloaded the first Intel version and have been playing on that with very occasional crashes, but no real problems. Today I am trying to download everything to put on CD to mail to poor Peino on dial-up. So I downloaded the version at the top of this thread and went ahead and opened it just to check. It let me log on, but then the screen was all funky (bluish black with strips of screen) whenever I tried to look around. Is this the latest working version, or am I missing something?

I'm not so worried about fixing this for myself since I can keep playing on my original download (although I think I'm missing a couple things), but I'd like to know if I'm downloading the right version for Peino and if this is a bug that he is going to have to download additional fixes for. If so, I'd like to go ahead and download those now and add them to the CD I'm mailing him.

Trouble.jpg

My info:

iMac 4.1

Mac OSx version 10.4.11

2GHz Intel Core Duo

... So I downloaded the version at the top of this thread and went ahead and opened it just to check. It let me log on, but then the screen was all funky (bluish black with strips of screen) whenever I tried to look around. Is this the latest working version, or am I missing something?

As noted in the first post, this is probably because you 1) have reflections enabled, and 2) may not have framebuffer turned on, and 3) probably have a water shader quality =0. Try setting the framebuffer on, and water shader to 1 or 2.

As noted in the first post, this is probably because you 1) have reflections enabled, and 2) may not have framebuffer turned on, and 3) probably have a water shader quality =0. Try setting the framebuffer on, and water shader to 1 or 2.

The el.ini shipped with my intel-only EL had water shaders set to 2 by default.

Reason: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at address: 0x00000000"...so it seems a NULL pointer lurks somewhere. Just recompiled with debug support and added printf here and there to find out the guilty pointer :P

This sounds like the crashes we've had on Linux and windows too. Have any of you folks tried a new CVS build since I attempted to fix this? I checked the changes in on Tuesday (4th dec) morning.

Reason: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at address: 0x00000000"...so it seems a NULL pointer lurks somewhere. Just recompiled with debug support and added printf here and there to find out the guilty pointer :P

This sounds like the crashes we've had on Linux and windows too. Have any of you folks tried a new CVS build since I attempted to fix this? I checked the changes in on Tuesday (4th dec) morning.

Yes, Fedora says things are fixed. I just made a new build, and will make it available shortly.

Yes, Fedora says things are fixed. I just made a new build, and will make it available shortly.

Great, let's hope it is fixed :P

Hello

Downloaded the 1.5.0.1b version, so far so good, the pointers are OK, so the crashes when changing maps. There is another problem tho: everytime switching to/from console, eating there is an annoying flickering (a white backgrounded one).