Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scorpius

Whats the Spirit of Pking?

The solution is simple: if you can kick everyone else's ass in DP, leave. Move on.

The problem is alot of top 100s have "dp alts". Those alts have zero plans to do anything but slaughter

dp pkers ad infinitum. Originally I think it was to have something else to do when pk in the rest of el

died down. But now I think its just to frustrate dp pkers into leveling past that arena.

Well, the frustrating part is certainly there, but I would be very curious to know if this is effective (meaning that there are people who have leveled up as a result of this frustration). More than likely, though, I would imagine that many have just given up and only fight monsters now. I would also guess that the one's who have given up probably don't read these PK threads as avidly as I do, though.

Ok this DP stuff is bugging me. For some reason a lot of people are thinking the only way to train and gain AD levels is to keep low low P/C 24/32 etc. and train fluffy til you have bunny tails coming out of your ears. The devs have tried to make a good balance in game, and you can still get decent XP if you raise P/C and train. This will also let you get out to pk once in a while. If you think you will keep 28/32 P/C and train forever on fluffys and catch the levels of the top 10 you will soon get very frustrated. My suggestion is spend some more PP and get out there for some fun. Chimmys have been improved a few updates ago and are decent XP/drops. Feros are also good. There is no need to kill fluffy forever and ever.

Of course if i say pk i also mean the dp pker :) it would be unfair to leave em out, i would even accept

oppinions of ppl not beeing a pker at all as long as you really thought about what youre posting :)

<snip>

OK, then, I'll do my best.

The "DP problem" is the entire reason I don't PK in EL. See, I'm pretty much the opposite of most other players here. I'm a PvE player. I like to fight the monsters and invasions, and ALL player versus player fighting is what I call training for invasions. I know that for most people, it's the other way around.

So, since warfare is just training for monster killing to me, I approach all game fighting with a PvP attitude. In other words, it's nothing personal, just a game where the stakes don't matter. Dying and losing stuff is the risk we take, and we know it going in. Unless it's NDD, I save all my "good" gear for invasions and only go into PvP with cheap stuff or naked. I've only ever pm'd one person for killing me, and that was just to tease him really briefly for the tactic he used. (No details, but it was one of those DP haunters who get all done up in dragon-junk to 1-hit weaker people on their wins or disses.) It was NDD anyway, so I had no reason to get mad about it.

But even though I've always avoided losing anything important this way, it really does get super annoying and disheartening after a while.

Why? Because as a lot of PKers say over and over, "it's a game; we're trying to have fun." But some people -- a minority -- seem to think it's fun to make it hard or impossible for other people to play the game. They hang out at DP only to knock newbies into hell over and over and prevent them from training and having fun. Sometimes I wonder how that's not a rule violation. I've leveled past DP now, but I won't go into any of the PK maps because the same attitude is with BroDers who are only out to giggle while breaking other people's equipment, not giving them a good fight, as well as those people who think nothing of attacking someone who they can see clearly are way too weak to give them either exp or points.

As far as I'm concerned that attitude ruins the warfare game for me. I don't mind dying/losing stuff. I do mind having my time wasted by what amounts to just pranksters who think it's endlessly hilarious to make people take long walks (back from hell).

I think there's only one way to put a curb on it, and that would be to have a serious bad effect for doing it -- like actually losing a/d points for attacking someone too many levels below you in PK maps (so that eventually, you'd risk losing a level if you keep it up). Also, someone once suggested that the DP cap should be according to combat level, not a/d level, to negate the effect of TSing and maybe help keep the playing field more level. Whatever, I think something has to be done to make it possible for people like me and Sygon to train. Until that happens, I stay out of the whole mess.

But if it did happen -- if there was more of a sense of fair play and not pointlessly messing with people, I'd be a regular PvPer and might even join PK events someday. But not as things stand now. I can't be bothered to try to work my way around the few people who try to obstruct the path.

I think there's only one way to put a curb on it, and that would be to have a serious bad effect for doing it -- like actually losing a/d points for attacking someone too many levels below you in PK maps (so that eventually, you'd risk losing a level if you keep it up).

LOL :omg:

What you are asking for is a level graduated pk map, enforcing a level equality in fighting.

Runecrap anyone :)

[below is a poorly written conversation between fictional players :happy: ]

Pker1: Can I pk you?, What is your ad? I need to be sure. I wouldn't want to be penalized for violating

some moral edict

Coward1: Well if I tell you and its not low enough you will attack me.

Pker1: Mmhh Ok how about I just wound you? Maybe poke out an eye? :pirate:

Coward1: No, that would greatly curtail my ability to enjoy this, since I won't be winning.

Pker1: Ah I see. It the fact I will win is the problem. How about I promise to die once?

Coward1: No, Im now certain you are a prankster, because YOU insist on winning EVERYTIME!

Pker1: But isn't that the point, to win? This is a player killing map, no?

Coward1: This is a jousting map, First you bow. They you throw flowers at me.

Then you ask me if you may enage combat. I agree. The combat begins and you agree to not win, simple.

Pker1: Whaaaa?:confused:

Why? Because as a lot of PKers say over and over, "it's a game; we're trying to have fun."

Scorpius mention this to me, so many people are taking it far too serious. I assuming its not fun because you

are not winning most of the time. I know of several pkers that possibly have the worse win\loss ratio of

anyone but they are back out there, dying over and over and having a blast fighting.

The truth of the matter you will never be able to pk. The people you call pranksters like to "kill" you ingame.

Thats it. Wack you die and they win. That is the fun. Its the same as my years in Real life fighting, nothing

can replace the high of knocking someone out, or breaking a bone. So in closing its a personality thing, a

brutish love for combat regardless of the form. You either like it or you don't :medieval:

LOL :omg:

What you are asking for is a level graduated pk map, enforcing a level equality in fighting.

Runecrap anyone :)

I wouldn't know. I've never tried Runecrap because it looks like crap.

[below is a poorly written conversation between fictional players :happy: ]

Pker1: Can I pk you?, What is your ad? I need to be sure. I wouldn't want to be penalized for violating

some moral edict

Coward1: Well if I tell you and its not low enough you will attack me.

Pker1: Mmhh Ok how about I just wound you? Maybe poke out an eye? :pirate:

Coward1: No, that would greatly curtail my ability to enjoy this, since I won't be winning.

Pker1: Ah I see. It the fact I will win is the problem. How about I promise to die once?

Coward1: No, Im now certain you are a prankster, because YOU insist on winning EVERYTIME!

Pker1: But isn't that the point, to win? This is a player killing map, no?

Coward1: This is a jousting map, First you bow. They you throw flowers at me.

Then you ask me if you may enage combat. I agree. The combat begins and you agree to not win, simple.

Pker1: Whaaaa?:confused:

OK, I understand. Some PKers just don't have any respect for other ways of playing and think that those other ways should just be made fun of, not addressed with any seriousness. No problem. I do respect other ways of playing games like this, so I'm okay with your little jokesies.

Scorpius mention this to me, so many people are taking it far too serious. I assuming its not fun because you

are not winning most of the time.

You assume wrong, which is strange since I said several times that I don't mind losing. But whatever.

I know of several pkers that possibly have the worse win\loss ratio of

anyone but they are back out there, dying over and over and having a blast fighting.

Yay for them. I like to see people having a good time.

The truth of the matter you will never be able to pk. The people you call pranksters like to "kill" you ingame.

Thats it. Wack you die and they win. That is the fun.

Isn't that what I said? (Hint: It is what I said.)

Its the same as my years in Real life fighting, nothing

can replace the high of knocking someone out, or breaking a bone. So in closing its a personality thing, a

brutish love for combat regardless of the form. You either like it or you don't :medieval:

You're right, it's a personality thing. For instance, I don't think it's fun to break people's bones. If I did that in RL, even in a sport where it was a common risk, I would feel very bad about it. But since this isn't RL...

I guess the bottom line is that my reading of PKers is correct, and so is my decison not to PK in EL. Thanks for backing me up. :) Enjoy your PK time.

i usualy go pk for fun always have not realy cared what happens on pk maps to much as i have had friends attack me even wars with friends and half the time i'm to lazy to buy rost so if some1 gets a good drop off me it's usualy a pm to them saying grats as long as it was a good fight :P

only problem i have with it is high lvls pking noobs for fun that can get abit tedious.

Peino and robotbob both express valid points in their opinions. It's frustrating that some people want to stack the odds in their favor, and it makes it less fun for newer players. However, there are ways players can get around that. It just requires time and dedication. It will cost the game some people who might otherwise have done more fighting. I think peino did a great job expressing some of the logistics that have reduced the number of people willing to PK.

But, rbob, why do you need to "LOL" at peino and make your opinion a rant? Why not raise your communication style to match peino's? A little reciprocation of courtesy would give your opinion more credence.

... nothing can replace the high of knocking someone out, or breaking a bone. So in closing its a personality thing, a brutish love for combat regardless of the form. You either like it or you don't :P

I can think of many things that give me a better high than that ^^. Come to think of it, that wouldn't give me a high at all.

But, rbob, why do you need to "LOL" at peino and make your opinion a rant? Why not raise your communication style to match peino's? A little reciprocation of courtesy would give your opinion more credence.

I'm sorry but I won't be using peino's style. (REF: 2008 Presidential Candidates, Poll:Who do you like so far?)

I "LOL'd" because this thread is about the spirit of pk and not the "spirit of why I don't pk." The idea was to

post WHY you pk or why you like pk. This isn't a discussion on the logistics of excuses.

Its an opinion, I don't believe credibility is based on an opinion's verbosity.

... nothing can replace the high of knocking someone out, or breaking a bone. So in closing its a personality thing, a brutish love for combat regardless of the form. You either like it or you don't :omg:

I can think of many things that give me a better high than that ^^. Come to think of it, that wouldn't give me a high at all.

I'm not talking in the "mugger sense" but in the organized fight sense, this was my 1st career of my early

20s. Every fighter I ever fought or knew truly enjoyed winning, and winning in full contact fighting means

knockout. Although I no longer do this, my body will not heal fast enough to make it viable. We each have

our loves, martial combat was a key part of my life, it isn't one of yours. Diversity is wonderful don't you

think?

Good points rbob, and well taken. Well expressed too.

Your elaboration on the rl fighting thing does clarify too.

And yup, agreed on the diversity thing.

:omg:

like OMG sed:

I have more respect for those that fight the impossible fight to the diss or death than for those that ONLY who fight when they know they are safe. Some of the DP pkers have more balls than the people with 120+ a/d Players.

i know exactly what u mean me,gothiclady,eeedar,bones,malaca used to do it all the time especially on NDDs we used to goto TD and KF and fight higher lvled players it was fun tho even if we got 2-4 hit :>

and some were easy fights and others were hard to get a hit like ppl 100+ a/d lol

Edited by bigkav

like OMG sed:

I have more respect for those that fight the impossible fight to the diss or death than for those that ONLY who fight when they know they are safe. Some of the DP pkers have more balls than the people with 120+ a/d Players.

i know exactly what u mean me,gothiclady,eeedar,bones,malaca used to do it all the time especially on NDDs we used to goto TD and KF and fight higher lvled players it was fun tho even if we got 2-4 hit :>

and some were easy fights and others were hard to get a hit like ppl 100+ a/d lol

i remeber the time in td when you gothiclady and scarface and some others tried that w/ me it was fun i wasnt being hit untill the bronze sword and even then i was still doing good got pr0 xp that day and it wasnt even ndd again it was fun untill the harms and stuff lol

I'm sorry but I won't be using peino's style. (REF: 2008 Presidential Candidates, Poll:Who do you like so far?)

I "LOL'd" because this thread is about the spirit of pk and not the "spirit of why I don't pk." The idea was to

post WHY you pk or why you like pk. This isn't a discussion on the logistics of excuses.

Its an opinion, I don't believe credibility is based on an opinion's verbosity.

1- What does my argument with Radu over politics (which got too personal and angry anyway, so I took a friend's advice and gave it up) have to do with discussing the game? Why even bring it up here? EDIT: Meh, not on topic.

2- Um, actually, Scorpius specifically invited opinions from people who don't PK as well as those who do. If he hadn't I would never have posted here. And I don't intend to make an argument out of it -- I just said my piece.

3- So you're attacking the opinion mostly because you don't like the person who wrote it? I wonder why, since I've never done anything to you or had an argument with you about anything ever. EDIT: Meh, not on topic.

I'm not talking in the "mugger sense" but in the organized fight sense, this was my 1st career of my early

20s. Every fighter I ever fought or knew truly enjoyed winning, and winning in full contact fighting means

knockout. Although I no longer do this, my body will not heal fast enough to make it viable. We each have

our loves, martial combat was a key part of my life, it isn't one of yours. Diversity is wonderful don't you

think?

I agree as well -- diversity is key to the fun of life and games.

EDIT: Fixed misquote.

Edited by peino