Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SL7yz0r

FireFox And Internet Explorer

Do not uninstall internet explorer;p Just stop using it. Uninstalling it may cause some problems with other Windows' functions.

Do not uninstall internet explorer;p Just stop using it. Uninstalling it may cause some problems with other Windows' functions.

Yup, my IE somehow got fucked up a while ago, I had to reinstall my whole damn windows stuff. :x

EDIT: Wait no, I just had to go through some weird procedures and had to dl a new IE with a lot of trouble, once I had it installed, all was fine tho.

-Blee

Edited by BleedingSoul

Some windows applications use IE by default, it isn't the best idea to uninstall it.

Well its just that with IE, i have this virus that makes an advertisement pop up about every 45 seconds. I hate it and its RLLLLYY annoying, i have run every dang virus program i can find and uninstalled/reinstalled IE. Last result is reset windows but i thought i might try uninstalling IE.

you tried downloading a newer version and deleting the old version?

yeah, im just gonna uninstall it and if its that bad ill reinstall windows =/

See you in 2 weeks. :P

-Blee

Wouldn't it be easier to start with some applications like:

• Ad-Aware 2007;
    Spy-bot Search&Destroy;
    AVG Anti-Spyaware;
    many others

Wouldn't it be easier to start with some applications like:

• Ad-Aware 2007;
    Spy-bot Search&Destroy;
    AVG Anti-Spyaware;
    many others

That's pretty much why one should never download pr0n. :medieval:

Gah. I would never.

nothing like that has caused my IE to get fudged up... not that i download that stuff :D

i just use firefox and leave IE to gather dust

Same here. Unless some idiots prepare a website working only with IE.

Well its just that with IE, i have this virus that makes an advertisement pop up about every 45 seconds. I hate it and its RLLLLYY annoying, i have run every dang virus program i can find and uninstalled/reinstalled IE. Last result is reset windows but i thought i might try uninstalling IE.

if you cant get rid of a virus or spyware..ive always found out that re-formatting windows again usually is a clean sweep. :omg:

:) Use Opera, cuz it's fast, it's stable & it's secure :evilgrin:

nooo, dude! :D firefox is the way to fly, lol ;)

What i'm about to suggest can have adverse effects on some windows apps.

I was once working on a clients system that had seemingly unremovable spyware that was regularly popping up IE windows with advertising, for various reasons clean re-installing Windows was not a preferable option.

To solve this, i got my housemate to write me a little program which he entitled "DoNothing". The program does exactly what it's name promises, absolutely nothing.

I renamed donothing.exe to iexplore.exe and replaced all copies of iexplore.exe on the system (including the one in C:\Windows\system32\dllcache) within seconds of each other (because if you dont, Windows will find a Microsoft signed iexplore.exe on your system and replace them all). I then got this dialog telling me that system files had been replaced with non-microsoft ones and it gave me an option to ignore, i did.

All fixed.

That client still has yet to use any apps that require a "working" iexplore.exe to operate. I actually did this to my system as well, as it removed the built-in advertising in a couple of apps i used at the time.

Again i stress that some applications use iexplore.exe for vital tasks, but not all that many, most just use services that are a part of IE, but not the actual .exe itself, and they all work fine.

My housemate will be home very soon and i'll ask him if i can upload it to my webserver and post a link here, i'm sure he wont mind. I'll edit my post with the link shortly.

I'm not sure whether it is a good idea to post it here. Too many people not being at all in Windows may try using it and messing up with their system. Of course, all'em will come here and complain at evil Korrode who made them do it.

@Ramon

While I apreciate you like Bleach I have to say that your signature is way too big - over two times higher than it is allowed. If I were you I would fix it before forums admins see it and do it for you.

I renamed donothing.exe to iexplore.exe and replaced all copies of iexplore.exe on the system (including the one in C:\Windows\system32\dllcache) within seconds of each other (because if you dont, Windows will find a Microsoft signed iexplore.exe on your system and replace them all). I then got this dialog telling me that system files had been replaced with non-microsoft ones and it gave me an option to ignore, i did.

if u did such a workaround, y didnt u used firefox.exe for that task? so if a programm wants to open IE it opens FF automatically...

But i know the problem u all share, its called Windows :icon13:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download -> get it, install it and learn how much fun working with a computer can be :P

In the past it was possible to remove IE not only as a browser but as a shell too.

Now if you try to remove IE your system may become unstable as kheres said.

Use firefox or opera.

Even better make a dual boot system with both Linux and windows. Use windows only to play games (Not el of course) :icon13:

if u did such a workaround, y didnt u used firefox.exe for that task? so if a programm wants to open IE it opens FF automatically...
Because of the way some apps used iexplore.exe for there internal display of web content. I doubt it would have all worked using the firefox .exe, one assumes these appz were passing parameters.

But i know the problem u all share, its called Windows :D

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download -> get it, install it and learn how much fun working with a computer can be ;)

Ewwww no way...

...i use this :Dhttp://www.xubuntu.org/get