Eternal Lands Official Forums
Megyeer

Platinium Coins

Small idea people will hate...

Irillion will only take Plat coins as currency

problem is theyre worth too much for most items and purposes. how can you buy 1 feast on irillion with a plat coin?

having plat coins as a rare monster drop and using them for forming guilds and buying brods sound like the best ideas to me.

maybe to make guilds and special weapons a little rarer we could remove the option to buy plats at the tavern :confused:

Yes, we should definitely have a use for platinum coins. Things grand, expensive, or pretty should be purchasable with them. And just so it's out there, why not be able to melt them down into platinum? It could be used to line other items, or even be the main ingredient. Another idea is...not on topic.

Edited by draegox

(Late reply...)

Briefly:

1. Do away with the money-changers completely; no NPCs will exchange one type of coin for another.
  2. Each item type is bought and sold by NPCs in a specific coin type. Ideally, each NPC would only trade in one coin type.

Thats right -- I'm recommending that there should be
no exchange rate
between the coins provided by the game/NPCs; its left upto the players to decide relative worths. So a platinum coin
is just another commodity in the gold coin
economy, and visa versa. Far more interesting...

Elaborating & Consequences:

• The economy is split into multiple tiers, one for each type of coin. This can be thought of as separate peasant, merchant, and noble economies. The more tiers, the better (add silver below gold, possibly coppers below that).
  • Leaves it up to the player driven economy to establish exchange rates between different coins.
  • Harvestables should trades in the lowest valued coinage. A character can never buy platinum-economy uber armour with the silver-economy wages of a lupine-picker.
  • Climbing up through the economic tiers is another aspect of character development.
  • It is possible for a noble to have no copper bits with which to buy a pint in the tavern; but he should have people to do that for him...
  • Don't be tempted to weaken or break (1).

Edited by trollson

I don't think it's worth the hassle of making a change to use platinum coins.

• If PCs are going to be brought back, all trade bots are going to have to be changed to accept them
  • If they were only used in a few specific maps, it could create an unbalance between those working mainly on c1 to c2 (if exchange rate stayed)

Learner posted some reasoning behind exchange rates, but they are still unused. I think the exchange rate should be made 1: 1k, fixed , they would really be convenient to use

It's not really 'convenience' if you have to walk ALL THE WAY down to the tavern for the exchange; when the gc you have is just as good.

I'm quite happy with my gold coins :D

Let NPC's give 10% discount for using platinum coins.

For example, an item that's price is dividable with 1000, such as CoL, has price of 100k gc.

The player can either pay 100000 gold coins.

Or 90 platinum coins. In tavern they would cost 99000 gc to get, but if there is some other way to get platinum coins too, people will really save money.

If you think 10% discount will ruin economy, the prices can be increased at first, so that platinum-user will get them for "normal" price. This also hadn't affect all NPC's or items.

One source of platinum coins could be selling:

If selling item worth 50017gc, seller gets 50 platinum coins and 17gc. This wouldn't be way to get around discounts, because usually prices NPC's buy for are total crap.

If we bring this in, why not radically:

bronze, silver, gold, platinum coins

exchange rate is a good thing, +/- 10% seems fair to me

10 bronze coins equals roughly 1 silver coin

100 silver coins equals roughly 1 gold coin

1000 gold coins equal roughly 1 platinum coin

Now the lowest plants can be sold for a few bronze coins each.

For example 5 bronze coins per chrysanthemum

selling 175 chrys's = 875 bronze coins

The flowershop will give that as: 87 silver coins and 5 bronze coins

If you want to exchange from bronze to silver at a shop it is:

11 bronze for 1 silver (or 1 silver coin gives 9 bronze ones)

110 silver for 1 gold (or 1 gold gives 90 silver)

1100 gold for 1 platinum (or 1 platinum gives 900 gold)

this way we can make a far better scale for all the products and finally the flowers can be the lowest money making product (as they should be!)

my 2 cents :(

Learner posted some reasoning behind exchange rates, but they are still unused. I think the exchange rate should be made 1: 1k, fixed , they would really be convenient to use

Without a cost associated with converting to & from Plats, there would be no reason to use Plats as any form of money at all. You might as well just use gc. Bu having a cost, that encourages people to keep the Plats as plats, but still gives them the option of conversion to gc.

As it is, it is the exchange rate that makes them unusable. The way things are their only use is for roleplay purposes, trading in platinums for some sort of fun. The exchange rate only works to make this bit of fun avoided.

However, I do understand why the exchange rate is there and would rather it stayed, but until the coins have a purpose beyond novelty, no-one will consistantly lose gc for it.

Finally, 10% each side is abit steep even for exchange. How about connecting exchange rate to an easily changable variable or two and have it fixed much lower until there is a profitable use for the coin. I think a tavern owner would logically lower the exchange rate inorder to make money in low demand seasons and raise them again when customers are willing to pay. I think even just for novelty some would pay a small fee.

If we bring this in, why not radically:

bronze, silver, gold, platinum coins

exchange rate is a good thing, +/- 10% seems fair to me

10 bronze coins equals roughly 1 silver coin

100 silver coins equals roughly 1 gold coin

1000 gold coins equal roughly 1 platinum coin

Now the lowest plants can be sold for a few bronze coins each.

For example 5 bronze coins per chrysanthemum

selling 175 chrys's = 875 bronze coins

The flowershop will give that as: 87 silver coins and 5 bronze coins

If you want to exchange from bronze to silver at a shop it is:

11 bronze for 1 silver (or 1 silver coin gives 9 bronze ones)

110 silver for 1 gold (or 1 gold gives 90 silver)

1100 gold for 1 platinum (or 1 platinum gives 900 gold)

this way we can make a far better scale for all the products and finally the flowers can be the lowest money making product (as they should be!)

my 2 cents :)

I would love to see this happen; one kind of currency is so boring and ordinary. One thing, though: a THOUSAND bronze coins for a single gc?! Not gonna happen. Even a clump of dirt would be worth one gc; what's the point of a thousand of them? But what I would like to see would be this:

100 gc now is worth 1 gc later. Let's call the later ones fgc (future gc)

10 bronze ~ 1 silver

10 silver ~ 1 gold

10 gold ~ 1 platinum

So 1 bronze is what 1 gc is right now.

Now I understand that this is a rather far-fetched idea and is unlikely to be accepted, but it's the suggestions forum.

I actually dont mind the rate of value of the coins ... it is all discussable

but there are so many things ingame that are now overpriced, like the flowers.

The allready go into 0.25 or 0.33 gc per flower and such, but if a smaller valuta then gold coins are introduced, you can make it more realistic.

bronze coins - flowers, sulphur

silver coins - leather armour, low swords, ores, rings, potions, etc.

gold coins - iron armour and up, mid-level swords, damage/disengage/C2 rings, higher pots (BR etc.)

platinum coins - highest armour and specials, Enriched essies, high-end potions/craft-stuff, etc.

You can make a more realistic scale.

People selling stuff at shops can be traded fair, from highest valuta down to lowest. But if you want to exchange 1 valuta for another, you pay a fee.

Example of selling let's say 40 iron swords to NPC

You get 12345 (old style) gold coins for them.

In the style of draegox it will be given to you as:

12 platinum coins

3 gold "

4 silver "

5 bronze "

clarified? good? bad?

For game purposes gold coins are fine. You can adjust the numbers yuo are transfering at once, which effectively makes larger value movements similar to what you'd get with more valuable coins. Also the weight of the coins are zero so there is no issue of being weighed down by too many coins, although having to use numerous coins would take up more slots, whereas currently there is only one slot used.

For realism purposes I guess there should be a weight per coin or coins ie 1-100 coin = 1 emu , 101-200 coin = 2 emu or a limit on how many of each weightless item can be carried, overall or per slot ie 4.5k would be held in Slots: #1=1000gc #2=1000gc #3=1000gc #4=1000gc #5=500gc , Slots: #1=4pc #2=500gc

That would bread a need for different coins though I still believe the platinm conversion rate to be alittle much, especially if the need to exchange was increased greatly due to the above changes.

I was actually going to post cho's idea, just saw he already posted it :whistle:

Really, why not make plats the currency of Irillion, and gold the currency of Seridia.

The exchange rate can still be 80%, but gold earned in seridia is gold, "gold" earned in irillion comes in as plats. Both are worth a value of 1, but I think it'd be interesting :icon13:

They're two different continents, would make sence to have 2 different currencies.

I was actually going to post cho's idea, just saw he already posted it :P

Really, why not make plats the currency of Irillion, and gold the currency of Seridia.

The exchange rate can still be 80%, but gold earned in seridia is gold, "gold" earned in irillion comes in as plats. Both are worth a value of 1, but I think it'd be interesting :D

They're two different continents, would make sence to have 2 different currencies.

The very interesting idea would be mixing ideas of trollson and cho.

How about having the 3 typical levels of currency - bronze, silver, gold.

Yes this would require more slots in the inventory, but why not create 3 separate slots in the inventory which will be strictly used only for the coins. I call it, the coin purse :P These slots could be wider than usual to account for the little bug where the numbers of coins could go off the slot and become invisible.

These currencies will not be exchangable and will still be weightless. Also the silver coin will have to be a simple metric multiple of the bronze coin. Lets say 100 bronze = 1 silver. The gold-silver ratio will be the same as the silver-bronze, 1:100. Simply to avoid confusion. Therefore - 10k bronze - 1 gold

Since many cheap items such as flowers are worth a fraction of a gold, and in many situations you end up losing up to a gold from each sale you make to the npc. Npc's could then offer to buy/sell in bronze which would be an integer and rid us of these ugly decimals.

I suggest 1 bronze becomes equal to 1/10 of the current gold. So 1 silver will be worth 10 current gold and 1 gold will be worth 1k current gold.

Low level monsters will be more free to drop random amounts of bronze without giving the player too much. I've noticed that the odds of a rabbit or beaver dropping gold is quite low, and not to mention the 1-2 gold they give each time they do happen to drop. These more frequent drops of few bronze IMO will be more satisfying to collect than the occassional gold. Not only for newbie animals but for higher monsters etc. The rate that cash will drop could be increased, the amount of cash being dropped each time will be lower so it can be as equal to the current implementation in the game atm.

In all honesty, has anyone ever used coins as buttons for their blouse? :blush:

In all honesty, has anyone ever used coins as buttons for their blouse? :P
Yea, people have. I doubt ever coins in current circulation, but using old coins (or replicas) for sure. More so in the past than today (but I'd never say never).

In all honesty, has anyone ever used coins as buttons for their blouse? :P
Yea, people have. I doubt ever coins in current circulation, but using old coins (or replicas) for sure. More so in the past than today (but I'd never say never).

Ahh ok well I'm young so this past you are speaking of must be way before my time. The only problem is that you'll be adding these precious coins as buttons, but they won't be visible because they're too small...

Have them be used for tailoring.

EXACTLY what i was thinking... tailoring is supposed to be hard... make it REAL hard!

Yes this skill is meant to be hard, but what is hard? Isn't it hard to manufacture top level items? And oh... when those items are manufactured, because they're "hard" you also receive more exp.

I believe tailoring should be more along the lines of manufacturing, easy at first just like manufacturing is, but better looking items will be harder to tailor later on.

Platinium Coins has been here before. And they were removed around yr 2004-2005. You were able to exchange coins in Taverns in rate of 1 : 1000 or 1: 10 000 (I don't remember that clearly) For today, 1:1000 would be nice.

That exchange would be fine, however nowadays its 1100gc for buying 1 platinum and 900gc for selling one, which means 200gc difference on 1 coin, if it was i.e. 100 coins, its 20kgc and that awful.

The reason the exchange rate is the way it is, the plan had been to have some things bought by plats only, and some monsters sometimes dropping a plat. Having an exchange rate like that simulates money changers fees and also encourages people to keep any plats they got as plats or trade them to other players.

That's like these things called doubloons on a crap RPG called puzzle pirates

oh hi EL :)

That's like these things called doubloons on a crap RPG called puzzle pirates
The Doubloon was a real coin in circulation during the "high age" of the pirate, so the crap RPG is being factual. It was a Spanish coin minted C16 through C19.

I have an idea for platinum coins. There are several wells in the game, and they could be turned into wishing wells. You drop a coin, and you most likely get a mediocre item back, like a flower, or a fur. These common items depend on the well. However, there is a rare chance you get a piece of useful item worth more than 1k gold coins, such as an enriched essence, vial mold, etc. However, there is an ultra rare chance of getting high quality items like a dragon helmet, or special items available only if you use a wishing well, like a cape that allows you to mix at half food costs at a time, stuff like that. However, you stand to lose like 80% in the long run, so it's not for the poor or middle class. Most people would only do this for the super rare chance of gaining one of those uber rare items that people will envy. The coins can also be melted into platinum and be incorporated to combat items manufacturing :)

I have an idea for platinum coins. There are several wells in the game, and they could be turned into wishing wells. You drop a coin, and you most likely get a mediocre item back, like a flower, or a fur. These common items depend on the well. However, there is a rare chance you get a piece of useful item worth more than 1k gold coins, such as an enriched essence, vial mold, etc. However, there is an ultra rare chance of getting high quality items like a dragon helmet, or special items available only if you use a wishing well, like a cape that allows you to mix at half food costs at a time, stuff like that. However, you stand to lose like 80% in the long run, so it's not for the poor or middle class. Most people would only do this for the super rare chance of gaining one of those uber rare items that people will envy. The coins can also be melted into platinum and be incorporated to combat items manufacturing :)

;)

I don't know what inspired this idea but it actually seems ok. Kinda like rich man's gambling.

I've always got that single plat coin in my storage for nostalga reasons - when they used to be the hottest currency ingame.

These babies needs a purpose, don't see why taverns can charge an arm & a leg for conversion though.

Maybe some NPCs (Booksellers, Armoury sellers etc) should start dealing with only platinum coins.

Maybe monsters (like...cyclops and other creatures) can drop these rarely (kills two birds with one stone).