Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Windows RC 3

Yea, I know, minor point. But quality is in the details.

Isn't it the same screen/agreement for years? Is it different than the one for this previous update, or for the one before it?

other than some halting and big fps drops no real problem except for a certian room that is secret and has one troll and ogre in it when i have sound enabled my fps come to a screaching halt and i cant do any thing at all, meaning i cant acess the options menue to turn off the sound.However if i use an alt and turn it off i have no problem with my main character moving around. I tried to make the same thing happen in several other rooms but didnt have the same problem.

Except for the one problem so far it is a wonderful job and i can hardly wait for it to be implemented.

Edited by Kurok

Hello.

I've been enjoying the new client, and I really love that "minimap" thing, nice work!

But whenever I have the client minimized, and I click a link in IE7, I get a "Eternal Lands has encountered an error, tell micro$oft all your personal information etc" box.

Anyway, a little annoying if I'm reading forums while harvesting.

But other then that, love it! :D

Which operating system are you using, which graphics card and wich drivers?

What happens when you start notepad, move it over the EL window (not minimized of course) and type. Does the text show up in the EL client too?

What happens when you start 2 EL clients, move the windows that they overlap and click in the client on top. Does the char in the client in the background starts to run too?

Piper

Heh, interesting test.

Micro$oft W!ndows XP Service pack 2 Build 2600.

Nvidia Geforce 3 with latest drivers (not really sure what their called).

No, the chars aren't effected.

The text doesn't appear in the EL window.

Lemme see if they both stay alive when I click "Add Reply"

Edit: they're both alive right now, though really laggy :P

Not sure what caused it the first few times..

Edited by Jaxbot

But you can reproduce this, right?

Minimize EL client, then click on a link in IE7 and EL client crashes?

Does that happen with Firefox, Mozilla, Opera too?

Piper

I could reproduce it...

I have a feeling it has to do with googling...

I just googled, visted a few sites, burned a CD, etc.

I guess I was wrong. But it does happen a lot when I'm browsing, I guess I'll wait until it happens again, then post.

(this is a little annoying, no? bug happens over and over again, finally when I post, it stops happening :P)

Adjusting the sound values won't tone down my 'Eeyargh'ing and 'Heeyagh'ing without turning down more interesting sounds. I'm not much of an emoter in RL when cornered other than letting loose with profanities or diplomacy (which always works :P .) I feel silly pwning a beaver, deer, fox, dragon, etc. while grunting like a samurai! This is probably just me, but it would be nice to be able to control that specific volume. My fluffy felines tear ass out of the room when they hear it!
Hehehe, well apart from the fact that anything that scares cats has to be a good thing, you can adjust the volume of individual sounds by editing the sound_config.xml file if you really wish.

It would be interesting to hear more opinions on this as I added controls for groups of sounds as I saw appropriate but there are other ways to group things, or more controls could be added if desired. It won't be changed before the update, but its worth discussing elsewhere for a future release.

If you are interested in manually tweaking these volumes, you need to add/edit a <gain> block to the relevant <variant> blocks of the <sound> you wish to adjust. The usable range is 0.0 to 1.0.

Might I suggest a set of sound files for the NPC's? Just two for each type of NPC and only a mumbled greeting and goodbye. I can't assume I know how this would be programmed, but the sounds would do a lot to personalize the game.
I think this was mentioned and there was a little discussion about it but the outcome was I didn't do anything about it. It would be worth looking for that discussion, probably in my NEW_SOUND thread in the Programming section of the forums.

I'm happy to consider ideas like this and actually playing those sounds is pretty simple (when the dialog is opened etc), but the actual sounds to play could be difficult to make - you would want them nondescript enough that they aren't identifiable as a language, but obviously the equivalent to hello and goodbye.

Again, something to think about for a future release. :-)

I've noticed some halting movement different from the main server. As my FPS is normally under 12, I am not surprised. On the main server even when my FPS is 3 or 2, my movement remains regular. On the test server with no crowd around, my FPS can go over 15 (which is soooo smooooth!) however my movement seems to stop for a tenth of a second or two and then continue. It may be lag, which I've never identified before with such a low FPS, but has not happened previously on the test server, just this client.
There is a largish amount of additional processing for the new sound engine, but exactly what impact that has I don't really know. There have been lots of changes in this update and the problem may or may not be related to the sounds. It would be nice to distribute a debug client to try to find issues like these, but it is unfortunately too late for this release.

other than some halting and big fps drops no real problem except for a certian room that is secret and has one troll and ogre in it when i have sound enabled my fps come to a screaching halt and i cant do any thing at all, meaning i cant acess the options menue to turn off the sound.However if i use an alt and turn it off i have no problem with my main character moving around. I tried to make the same thing happen in several other rooms but didnt have the same problem.

Except for the one problem so far it is a wonderful job and i can hardly wait for it to be implemented.

Hmmmm, that is interesting. It would be handy to have this confirmed and try to establish why it occurs.

I could reproduce it...

I have a feeling it has to do with googling...

What i know about the EL client is, that it doesnt check what a browser is doing. But since BillyBoy said some years ago, that IE is an integral part of the Windows operating system and you cant separate it from it, i wont be surprised, if IE7 could crash the EL client :P

(Thats why i asked if that happens too with Firefox/Mozilla/Opera, etc).

(this is a little annoying, no? bug happens over and over again, finally when I post, it stops happening :()

Yes, it is, youre absolutely right. And, right now, i would guess, that your Windows is a little bit messed up and causes the problem, and not the EL client.

Thats my idea right now, noting more :)

Piper

I guess I was wrong. But it does happen a lot when I'm browsing, I guess I'll wait until it happens again, then post.

(this is a little annoying, no? bug happens over and over again, finally when I post, it stops happening :P)

There have been bugs in the client (actually one of the libraries this client uses) as to how it handles when to take input from the keyboard and mouse and when to ignore it. Sometimes it gets it wrong and I'm guessing are occasionally seeing when it gets it wrong. Unfortunately it has been really hard to work out why it happens and hence such bugs get fixed slowly. If you can establish more accurately when its likely to occur (being in console, not in console, mouse hovering over a text box, etc) then that can help us fix it. :-)

I can not log into the test server, I get a password wrong error. It's not a password error though, I can close test server and log in to the beta I've been running w/ no problems. Are you releaseing a linux version?

Here's my errorlog, if it helps any.

Log started at 2007-11-15 19:04:38 localtime (Central Standard Time)

[19:04:38] Using the server profile: test
[19:04:38] Warning: Didn't find your data_dir, using the current directory instead. Please correct this in your el.ini . Given data_dir was: "c:\Eternal Lands"
[19:04:54] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"
[19:04:54] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates140/files.lst
[19:04:54] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates140/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com
[19:04:55] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates140/files.lst
[19:04:55] Error creating buffer: Invalid Name
[19:04:55] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"
[19:04:55] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates140/files.lst
[19:04:55] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates140/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com
[19:04:55] Unable to finish 6439648 processing (13)
[19:04:55] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates140/files.lst
[19:04:55] Error creating buffer: Invalid Name
[19:04:56] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/custom_files.lst
[19:04:56] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/custom_files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com
[19:04:56] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/custom_files.lst
[19:06:05] stop_stream - Error stopping stream - error: Invalid Value
[19:07:21] stop_stream - Error stopping stream - error: Invalid Value
Last message repeated 1 time 
[19:08:37] Client closed
Last message repeated 26 times
[19:32:58] Error creating buffer: Invalid Operation
[19:33:45] stop_stream - Error stopping stream - error: Invalid Value

I find the:

[19:08:37] Client closed

Last message repeated 26 times

A little odd, wouldn't that mean I exited the client 27 times?

:P

Anyway,nothing looks too different from everyone else's logs, :)

I can not log into the test server, I get a password wrong error. It's not a password error though, I can close test server and log in to the beta I've been running w/ no problems. Are you releaseing a linux version?

And your username on the test server is?

And your username on the test server is?

I'm just trying to help, no need to belittle folks. I had no idea we had to set up new accounts to run RC3.

I had no idea we had to set up new accounts to run RC3.
You shouldn't need to setup a new account if you've been playing for more than a few months. Every so often they copy all the character data from the main server to the test server. I'm not sure when the last copy was, but if you've been playing long your character would have been copied.

Of course if (for example) you changed your password on the main server since the last copy, the test server would have your old password.

Well, guess what, this is NOT helping, this is wasting our time!

FYI, I was able to log in just fine on the test server with the character popeye.

I can not get onto the test server.

Path used in EL icon:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Eternal Lands Test1\el.exe" test

(FYI, I did manually go to this same path through Start >> CMD and ran the file there as well)

Log started at 2007-11-15 21:09:44 localtime (Central Standard Time)

[21:09:44] Using the server profile: test
[21:09:44] Could not read console.xml
[21:09:44] Could not read errors.xml
[21:09:44] Could not read help.xml
[21:09:44] Could not read options.xml
[21:09:44] Could not read spells.xml
[21:09:44] Could not read stats.xml
[21:09:44] Could not read titles.xml
[21:09:44] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/font.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:44] Error: Can't open file "mapinfo.lst"
[21:09:44] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/login_back.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] Error: Can't open file "harvestable.lst"
[21:09:48] Error: Can't open file "entrable.lst"
[21:09:48] Error: Can't open file "knowledge.lst"
[21:09:48] Error opening mines configuration file: mines.xml
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file textures/cursors.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] Error opening sound configuration file
[21:09:48] Unable to read actor definition file actor_defs/actor_defs.xml
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/gamebuttons.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/gamebuttons2.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/console.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items1.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items2.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items3.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items4.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items5.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items6.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items7.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items8.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items9.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items10.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items11.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items12.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items13.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items14.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items15.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items16.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items17.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items18.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items19.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items20.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items21.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items22.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items23.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/items24.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./maps/legend.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/ground_detail.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/login_menu.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/sigils.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 177)
[21:09:48] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"
[21:09:48] Could not load a channel list from file. Using a limited built-in set instead.
[21:09:48] Error: Can't open file "mirrors.lst"
[21:09:48] An error occured while reading the rules
[21:09:48] The rules.xml file was not found. You will have to redownload your game.

Game acts as if it's loading but crashes within a few seconds

Edit: Game works, but had to change the #data_dir in the el.ini file. At a glance, didn't see instructions about changing the #data_dir in previous posts. May need to be added

Edited by Ghrae

Edit: Game works, but had to change the #data_dir in the el.ini file. At a glance, didn't see instructions about changing the #data_dir in previous posts. May need to be added
In theory, when it fails-over to the current directory, that will work because the shortcut _should_ have the working directory set correctly. If this is not the case then the datadir checks will fail, and nothing will load and it will either load with no fonts etc, or just crash.

Given that for whatever reason your working directory wasn't correct and it might possibly happen for someone else then yes a comment about the datadir would be good. As an aside, there are comments about that in the relevant Programming forum thread.

It seems that the error I reported earlier in this thread about the missing textures on some objects is only occuring at night time. During the day the textures appear ok.

In reference to Popeye's original problem, I had the same issue.

When I attempted to log on with an alt that I created on RC1 or RC2 (forgot which) the name was recognized but the password was not. I left it alone and created another character. For some reason this happened with an alt created on the main server when RC1 was being tested.

It just seemed obvious that with all the rearrangement on the test server, character updates could easily be out of synch. Mugwump is still his jolly old idiot self back before his last reset (about two weeks.) Now he's even jollier! And thankfully smilier and chubbier! :huh:

Might be my imagination, but the new appearance of the characters seems to have the staring off into space more intensely than they have been. It's just barely noticeable, and probably due to the fact that on the test server there is nobody around to stare AT most of the time. Otherwise the new looks are wonderful! Yays to Roja!! :D Any further improvement would involve lots of server space I imagine. How much would it take for flexible necks like goblins or blinking eyes and roving pupils? We have always been a rather stiff bunch!

Although my feeble computer keeps EL's FPS down under 10 most often and this update will slow me down a little bit more, I have found there is still wiggle room to make adjustments. With all video enhancements off I can still make the client screen smaller and turn off all sound effects (*sob* I love them!) as well as my Anti-Virus and other maintenance programs plus all the background MS crap to scrounge a few FPS back. Just zooming in a little does wonders! If anyone else has 'Old & Slow Computer Issues' follow the above, and have faith...

EL will still play you into desired Happiness!!!

~~~ and again:

Thank You Roja, Entropy, and all the Devs and Volunteers who made this upgrade great!!

... and yes, I'm a suck-up.... but an earnest one! :wacko:

and turn off all sound effects (*sob* I love them!)

Actually, you probably won't notice any difference with sounds enabled or otherwise as they are still processed, just not played. This is so you can turn the sound back on and everything should play correctly more or less instantly. To get the benefit of the speed increase from no sound you need to compile the client with sound disabled.

and turn off all sound effects (*sob* I love them!)

Actually, you probably won't notice any difference with sounds enabled or otherwise as they are still processed, just not played. This is so you can turn the sound back on and everything should play correctly more or less instantly. To get the benefit of the speed increase from no sound you need to compile the client with sound disabled.

Sounds like this might be a place for improvement in the update after this, a way to totally turn off all sound processing for the cpu starved players.

In theory, when it fails-over to the current directory, that will work because the shortcut _should_ have the working directory set correctly. If this is not the case then the datadir checks will fail, and nothing will load and it will either load with no fonts etc, or just crash.

Given that for whatever reason your working directory wasn't correct and it might possibly happen for someone else then yes a comment about the datadir would be good. As an aside, there are comments about that in the relevant Programming forum thread.

This is the short cut's "Start in" directory, the same as the Target path (minus 'test' at the end).

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Eternal Lands Test1"

I still had to edit the #data_dir field of the el.ini file to make it work. Torg, feel free to PM me in game if you need more details.