Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Windows RC 3

Ok, this is the Release Candidate 3, and will most likely be the last RC before the update. The update itself will contain a few more bug fixes, but other than that, this client should be stable enough.

It is very important to observe a few things:

1. This is NOT compatible with the main server, so it should only be used on the test server. By default, it uses the MAIN server. Read on how to change that.

2. All the 'personal' files (logs, counters, spells, el.ini, el.cgf, and so on) are not stored in the directory/folder where the game is downloaded. Instead, they are stored in a "my documents", and since that path is different depanding on many factors, such as windows version, language, windows user name and so on, it is printed each time you start the client.

3. Changing the server address and port is no longer done in el.ini. Instead, it is done by a command line parameter, and which are stored in a file called servers.lst

Here is the content of that file:

# server.lst - Server list configuration file
#
# Note: Any amount of whitespace is allowed and # marks a comment from that point until
#	   the end of the line
#
# ID			Config Dir	  Address				 Port	Description (to be used for server selection window)
main			main			game.eternal-lands.com  2000	Main game server
pk			  pk			  game.eternal-lands.com  2002	PK game server
test			test			game.eternal-lands.com  2001	Test server
lrnr-main	   main			proxy1.other-life.com   443	 Learner's redirection service for the Main game server

So if you want to run it on the test server, you need to use: el.exe test

You can also modify the windows EL icon so that it includes that command line there (right click on it and stuff).

4. You should NOT install it on top of your current EL directory, instead put it somehwere else.

This should be it, happy testing.

Here are the links:

http://el.beplacid.net/downloads/el_150_install_rc3.exe

Sound:

http://el.beplacid.net/downloads/sound.zip

The zip should be unzipped in such a way that it becomes a folder in the main eternal land sdirectory.

Post any problems here.

P.S. If you have trouble understanding WTF am I talking about, please do not install it, and wait until the main release. If you post here stuff that has already been explained and/or adviced not to do, you will get banned from the forums.

I notice that the pk server out on client update? and the proxy server?

Those are listed as examples, even if they aren't available yet. My proxy is being tested by limited users, and the PK server isn't available yet.

So is the lack of any feedback on this thread due to the blissfully perfect client, or due to the fact that people didn't try it? :cry:

YEs. Or they're using linux, and there were only instructions for windows.

P.S. They might be getting ready for invasions.

I have downloaded now all two packages, I have installed EL test RC3 in default folder "Eternal Lands Test1". After this I have extracted the sound packages in "Eternal Lands Test1" folder, tath was created "sound" folder with many .ogg file and some others.

I have also see the correct configuration in EL.ini files, testport 2001 and test server game.eternal-lands.com.

I have tried to execute el.exe but EL not work. I see in my task manager (I am under windows XP) that el.exe start and exit after 1 or 2 seconds. I not see any windows.

I forgot or wrong something?

Skelos

I have downloaded now all two packages, I have installed EL test RC3 in default folder "Eternal Lands Test1". After this I have extracted the sound packages in "Eternal Lands Test1" folder, tath was created "sound" folder with many .ogg file and some others.

I have also see the correct configuration in EL.ini files, testport 2001 and test server game.eternal-lands.com.

I have tried to execute el.exe but EL not work. I see in my task manager (I am under windows XP) that el.exe start and exit after 1 or 2 seconds. I not see any windows.

Skelos

1. This is NOT compatible with the main server, so it should only be used on the test server. By default, it uses the MAIN server. Read on how to change that.

Skelos

Ok, from command line is Ok. Sorry.

The dissadvantage with waiting for the update is that if this current client, for some reason doesn't work with your computer, you are fucked, we are not going to release another update just for a few players.

Just a quick look as I'm meant to be working. I notice the el.ini file has been shipped with language set to en rather than "". This means the language selection window does not get displayed. I'll change the CVS version but don't know if that is what gets shipped. Other than that, no problems so far....

Edit: Tested on Linux using wine, though I'll obviously use the CVS Linux client later today.

Edited by bluap

tx Enthropy

Fact of the matter is that I don't quite understand how to install it and rather not bugger this client up that's already there......never had to change files ect before!

Give me a pc to format and install softwere is easier than making pie, i can get on test server easy enough but this is a little out of my league...will take that chance and wait on client to come out.

Would've loved to test the update though...:cry:

Edited by WiseGemmerKat

I apologize, but my density has kicked in. I know this stuff! (or used to...)

Where do I access the command line that I need to change to 'el.exe test'? :cry:

Edited by Mugwump

I apologize, but my density has kicked in. I know this stuff! (or used to...)

Where do I access the command line that I need to change to 'el.exe test'? :cry:

I think u already installed it, so u will see a EL icon on ur windows Desktop (if not then u create a shortcut of the el.exe from the Eternal Lands Test 1 folder). Right click on the EL desktop icon then go to the properties, there u will see the command line entry. There will be able to see "Target:". go to the end of the line and type "test" after it after the quotation ends.

Note : Dont change the line where its written "Start in:".

Mine worked correctly. I will post my command line entry here as an example, if that helps

"C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands Test1\el.exe" test

Edited by ThunderCloud

That's what I expected, but in my XP all that shows is the opportunity to change the filename. "el.exe" to "el.exe test" won't work there. Here's a screenie: (clicky)

commandline2.jpg I remember changing commands easily with Win98, am I nuts? :cry:

That's what I expected, but in my XP all that shows is the opportunity to change the filename. "el.exe" to "el.exe test" won't work there. Here's a screenie: (clicky)

commandline2.jpg I remember changing commands easily with Win98, am I nuts? :cry:

You are not supposed to change the filename from "el.exe" to "el.exe test". I think you didnt understand it properly (may be I am wrong). You have to pass a command line argument to the application before running it, which the application uses, in this case it gets the type of server port you want to use .

Just type what I told in my previous post, in the Dialog box on the left side of the screeny, under the tab "Shortcut", not under the "General" tab.

Click on "Start" button, then "Execute".

There type "cmd" and press enter and voila, a DOS window opens.

There type

"cd C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands Test1" <ENTER>

then "el.exe test" <ENTER>

and there you go.

Piper

In the target box(the first text box), add "test" to the end, so it's something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands Test1\el.exe" test

Thank you Piper, 2Cool, Thunder! :icon13:

I'm sooo ashamed! :blush: I knew this... once! :)

Sux to get old! :wacko::laugh:

And it's working smoothly on a WinXP Dell, 600mhz CPU and 384 RAM with an NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 Pro graphics card, and Verizon FIOS fiber optic broadband. FPS all the way up to 13 on the test server! Yay! (Poor Man, no Candy, Perspective 25,) but the game and sounds still play!

Edited by Mugwump

I noticed a couple of objects that aren't getting their textures rendered onto them. Grass3.e3d and Thornbush1.e3d. (the thornbush was in WS at about 290.482). Otherwise everything looks good so far......

Are we still supposed to post problems with sound? eg hearing water steps when walking on regular ground?

That depends on the location but mostly yes.

Sometimes the ground around lakes and things will make water sounds but we won't fix them. However, all docks, boats and bridges should play the correct sounds! (Thanks to the guys who worked on that project!)