Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DogBreath

#invasion command and warnings?

It might be nice when you log in to get a warning about invasions (if it's already started you don't know.)

Also, a #invasion command might be nice as well (if you missed it logging in and want to check.) Kind of like #day for special days.

It might be nice when you log in to get a warning about invasions (if it's already started you don't know.)

I like this idea... after logging in and after 10 minutes in the game with no warning, walking into the mouth of a Black Dragon in Idaloran, then today being online 13 minutes with no GIWS announcements at all, then seeing an "Invasion is Over" message.

Given that we paid for GIWS initially, and still contribute to keep it going, perhaps this could be extended to give 5 minute updates, or mybe even tell someone when they log in.

Thanx for the suggestion DB

Stewbaby

Although this is a interesting idea, I just make sure to the following:

o Don't logoff in a area that has GIWS invasions.

o Subscribe to invasion warnings from gossip.

This prevents getting murdered by dragons :)

and P.S. I don't think black dragons can invade IDA :confused:

and P.S. I don't think black dragons can invade IDA :)

The Red Dragon can though...

[12:59:25] GIWS: Invasion Warning!!! The Red Dragon is in Idaloran, the Black Dragon is in Irsis!

Do you mean that you won't get killed by the Red Dragon? :P

Given that we paid for GIWS initially, and still contribute to keep it going, perhaps this could be extended to give 5 minute updates

Eek, the spam would drive us all insane! :P (or at least me)

But don't people ever warn you when you log on? I log on and some buddy or guildie will normally promptly announce 'invasion here watch out' or 'invasion here come join us' :) . I admit however that a message when you log on would be nice. Perhaps somehow making it so if an invasion is going on its recognized as a day when you log on and you just get a short message like "monsters have invaded watch out" and you can search out the answers to where and how long ago yourself.

I just subscribed to both GIWS and special invasions on gossip, and i always have outlook express open. So before I log on, I check the latest.

But I guess if some people cant do this because of how there e-mail is set up, it would be nice.

~kGn

Let's face it, some people will still not read the warnings and cry out about it. The only way they will pay attention to the warnings is if there was some way to put a hot wire with one end connected to the GIWS and the other end attached to their *private* areas to get some sort of response. We dont need more spam.

Let's face it, some people will still not read the warnings and cry out about it. The only way they will pay attention to the warnings is if there was some way to put a hot wire with one end connected to the GIWS and the other end attached to their *private* areas to get some sort of response. We dont need more spam.

What spam? No more than if you log in and get a #day warning. If you want to read the warning, you do, if you choose to ignore it, fine.

I just subscribed to both GIWS and special invasions on gossip, and i always have outlook express open. So before I log on, I check the latest.

But I guess if some people cant do this because of how there e-mail is set up, it would be nice.

~kGn

What happens one day if Gossip just happens to vanish? It's a bot, not gaurenteed to be there next time you log in.

I'm not really interested in getting such information at logging on. I don't think it would be a spam. I don't think that the fact Gossip (which I refuse to use for a certain reasons, and which is the only individual on my #ignore list other than #Hint) has a feature giving this piece of information to players is a good reason not to implement it.

My reason is far simpler than this. I just don't think it is really needed. Quite opposite, I find this information pretty useless.

Given that we paid for GIWS initially, and still contribute to keep it going, perhaps this could be extended to give 5 minute updates

Eek, the spam would drive us all insane! :) (or at least me)

But don't people ever warn you when you log on? I log on and some buddy or guildie will normally promptly announce 'invasion here watch out' or 'invasion here come join us' :D . I admit however that a message when you log on would be nice. Perhaps somehow making it so if an invasion is going on its recognized as a day when you log on and you just get a short message like "monsters have invaded watch out" and you can search out the answers to where and how long ago yourself.

I don't see what spam you're referring to here... How is a short message from the server saying GIWS invasion different from someone announcing there's an invasion. And, maybe people wouldn't have to feel like the town cryer if they knew you got a message when you logged in :) Acutally typing #invasion after that would be your choice, of course (maybe repeating the last GIWS message...)

I'm not really interested in getting such information at logging on. I don't think it would be a spam. I don't think that the fact Gossip (which I refuse to use for a certain reasons, and which is the only individual on my #ignore list other than #Hint) has a feature giving this piece of information to players is a good reason not to implement it.

My reason is far simpler than this. I just don't think it is really needed. Quite opposite, I find this information pretty useless.

One man's unless information is another man's important information. If people are interested in invasions, or not getting killed by one, maybe they'd like to know if there's one going on when they log in. I'm sure some people think #day is useless information as well. People can choose to ingnore information they find useless, however, if it's not available, they have no choice.

Edited by DogBreath

I don't see what spam you're referring to here... How is a short message from the server saying GIWS invasion different from someone announcing there's an invasion. And, maybe people wouldn't have to feel like the town cryer if they knew you got a message when you logged in :) Acutally typing #invasion after that would be your choice, of course (maybe repeating the last GIWS message...)

Eek, the spam would drive us all insane! (or at least me)

If you would read my post, you would see i was talking about the five minute repeated update. :closedeyes:

-edit-

And my friends don't feel like the 'town cryer' its just watching out for your friends warning them of dangers and inviting them to join the fun. I do the same for them.

Edited by Enly

If you would read my post, you would see i was talking about the five minute repeated update. :closedeyes:

-edit-

And my friends don't feel like the 'town cryer' its just watching out for your friends warning them of dangers and inviting them to join the fun. I do the same for them.

I reread your post (a few times.) I didn't realize you were talking about the 5 minutes when you said spam (saw the quote, just didn't make the connection - can I blame ADD?) I agree with your suggestion about a short message (when logging in). (I see I made the same mistake with Sheesh's post about the spam, apologies there as well..)

Also, I'm not saying it's a bad thing for your friends to help just saying it might not be necessary if you already got the warning on the way in (especially if you log on and they happen to not be on) :)

Edited by DogBreath