Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PriVate

can't a command to list all buddies in buddy list be made?

What about bribes donations to 'further the development of the Eternal Lands server code' to move this issue up on the TODO list?

Simple solution, clear your buddy list entirely and just add Erma as your only friend. He'd like that. He might even give you cookies.

Hi

I don't mean to bring attention to an old topic, I just wanted to suggest this myself and performed the pre-post search as required and found a place to field my thoughts.

With regards to the argument of whatplayers want more, in my experience it seems most players at some time come to a point where their buddy list is full and only afew active buddies make an appearance. Not wanting to remove the few active buddies and not wanting to remove all, with one risk of missing the odd inactive buddy they want to keep, some luckier players resort to going through their chatlogs from right back when they started to find the names. The less lucky don't know how to do this or do not have logs going back that far. I don't expect that wins over anyone against the prioritising of a #list_buddies command :P But given the limitations and value of the buddy list system I do think this makes an important issue to adress, despite its obvious appearance as a small improvement requiring large efforts.

As they say, it's the little things in life :P And Eternal Lands is renowned for its chat system, as much as anything else.

I agree that addressing this issue should be a reasonably high priority.

I personally think this kind of thing should be prioritized above any new features development (but not above existing bug fixing)... just my opinion.

I think an outside program that you can run every six months would be great. This is very important but IMO you just can't wind up with enough buddies that you can't remember ever week or two. Six months is plenty of time for someone to be identified as needing to be off your buddy list once you see their name. I don't know how hard it would be to code the outside program for this or how hard it would be to let players use it. I do know that almost everyone in game would be using it at some point in time. People would also not have to worry about adding new people to their buddy list.

A lot of new players want you to add them to your buddy list when you help them out even one time. I try to never do this because of the buddy list issue in this thread. It would be great if we could stop being afraid to use the buddy list. I myself am going to start using the note pad to keep track of new buddies who might not need to stay on my buddy list. It might be inconvenient but until this needed fix is implemented I don't have much choice.

Tirun

Excuse me for bringing back an old thread, but...

The game is Beta, and this is one of the major "bugs" in the game. It would be nice to see a solution before it goes Final.

Right now, the only way to clear inactive buddies you've forgotten about is to clear_buddy and start from the beginning. But to add a buddy they must be online and accept your request, a big job to do this 40 times over, then repeat a few months later!

Some people want to see the buddy list grow bigger than 40, this won't ever happen due to the extra server space required. But 40 would be enough if we could easily clear the inactives only.

I don't know how much effort would be required, but a major rebuild is warrented because EVERYONE wants this! More people want this than archery!

Didn't Radu say this game would always be in a beta stage, always making improvements and changes to the structure?

As a player I often prune my friends list - affiliations change over time. Much quicker than #del_buddy 1..30 I just clear the entire list. It only takes one command to add a new buddy.

As a client dev this would not affect me at all - buddy lists are server side.

Do I need to see a complete list of who my friends are? Nah I am not that insecure.

Its not about being insecure, the fact is people leave and dont tell their buddies, thus clogging their friends lists. And as kailo stole the words out of my mouth, we want to keep our active buddies but only delete some of the players that dont come on anymore.

I agree completely with kailo.

I have to admit, I have had a full buddylist for well over a year now, and no longer sure exactly who is on it that no longer plays EL anymore...but I find that just randomly pming people I currently know to see if theyre online proves an effective method of bypassing this minor issue.