Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

RC 2

As usual, if you do not know what to do, it is best not to do it at all. This is a test only for those who know what to do.

Here are the files:

Client: http://files.filefront.com/el+150+install+...;/fileinfo.html

Sound: http://files.filefront.com/sound+r2zip/;89...;/fileinfo.html

Sound patch: http://files.filefront.com/sound+patchzip/...;/fileinfo.html

(if you have the previous sound version, and don't want to download the new one)

Please delete the previous test folder.

Again, do NOT overwrite your current EL install, for the main server, because they are not compatible.

Post any problems here.

Damn, if I'd known the RC was going out I would have committed the fix for the death sounds (currently untested cos I haven't had time).

I just started some testing, and here are my first impressions:

-I really like all the sounds

-Like the URL window

-Like everything else new

But I have so far seen a couple of bugs. When I click on a map I see the local map but I do not see the continent map, just a grey space. Of course when you are walking on a ship and it sounds like water its very funny IMO, we should keep it :D. I also dont see the door icon, when clicking on a door I have to "use". I'll keep on testing though (Yes, I am testing during a no drops invasion :P)

PS: I'm also very happy how the graphics are working for me. I do not have a very good graphics card, but I still seem to be able to run nearly all the graphics :) And I still have a good FPS even with both main and test client up :)

Edited by evilmangopie

How is this different than rc1? Could you list the bugs fixed ect. please. The sounds are awsome! Great work development team :D

Edited by auror

It's hard to list all the bug fixes. Look in the RC1 thread, the bugs posted there should be fixed, some may not be.

The RC is for the test server only! It is not compatible with the main server due to protocol changes (unlike usual).

I also dont see the door icon, when clicking on a door I have to "use". I'll keep on testing though (Yes, I am testing during a no drops invasion :D)

Lack of door icon is usually because you have an invalid "datadir" setting in your el.ini file.

As for what bugs we fixed? Meh... check the Berlios logs. I don't remember now. :-P

A series of minor issues (probably some can't even be called bugs) I've seen till now with the RC:

- Screenshots: ctrl+p works fine, but the screenshots are saved in EL_RC2/screenshots, shouldn't the Screenshots folder be in the same place as the chatlog? (not a Vista user, but if they can't write their chatlog to EL folder, I assume the same applies to screenshots).

- Knowledge window: some titles overlap, and moving the mouse near the right border highlight the wrong book: this is due to the use of 240 as "magic" number in knowledge.c (line 139, 161, 188); something like 280 would fix it, or could be better to use the variables containing the stats window size: (STATS_TAB_WIDTH-20)/2 (20 is the scrollbar width *I think*)

- Windows on top: if I move some windows (like inventory, ...) and then change the "windows on top" option (doesn't matter if on or off, and happens with the alt+w shortcut too), all the windows go back to their original position

- Notepad window: the position of the notepad window is not saved on exit, it always go back to the upper-left corner

- Notepad: the Notes.xml file is saved in EL main folder instead of the one where the logs are

About the wrong path in el.ini: will the client be able to locate the right one by itself? I ask because to me the Installer gives c:\Programmi\Eternal Lands Test1 as default choice, not "Program Files" (since Programmi is the default for the italian version of windows); I expect the same happens on all the non-english version, so many windows users will have to manually edit the path to have EL working properly; the same goes with installing EL to a non-default folder. Any chance for the installer to write the path in el.ini upon installation? or maybe just leaving an empty path "" in the el.ini (like for the language selection) and, on the first startup, the client sees the path is not set yet and gets the one of the folder from where it's starting.

About the wrong path in el.ini: will the client be able to locate the right one by itself? I ask because to me the Installer gives c:\Programmi\Eternal Lands Test1 as default choice, not "Program Files" (since Programmi is the default for the italian version of windows); I expect the same happens on all the non-english version, so many windows users will have to manually edit the path to have EL working properly; the same goes with installing EL to a non-default folder. Any chance for the installer to write the path in el.ini upon installation? or maybe just leaving an empty path "" in the el.ini (like for the language selection) and, on the first startup, the client sees the path is not set yet and gets the one of the folder from where it's starting.

That's a good point, we didn't even know that non English windows versions use different paths. Anyway, this RC can find the data directory even if it is improperly specified in el.ini, but there is a bug and some files are not loaded.

Torg fixed it, so it is in the CVS.

- Knowledge window: some titles overlap, and moving the mouse near the right border highlight the wrong book: this is due to the use of 240 as "magic" number in knowledge.c (line 139, 161, 188); something like 280 would fix it, or could be better to use the variables containing the stats window size: (STATS_TAB_WIDTH-20)/2 (20 is the scrollbar width *I think*)

Ah, that looks bad. The hightlight should be easy to fix. The overlap more tricky. A bigger window is one option but its already rather big. May be if the title won't fit, it can be but on a line by it's self. That should be doable.

- Windows on top: if I move some windows (like inventory, ...) and then change the "windows on top" option (doesn't matter if on or off, and happens with the alt+w shortcut too), all the windows go back to their original position

The windows need to save their positions when they get moved (like the url window does). Should be able to fix that one.

- Notepad window: the position of the notepad window is not saved on exit, it always go back to the upper-left corner

That will require changing el.cfg file structure which is easy enough but can cause problems when reading an old format file. I'll happily have a go it we want to do this now.

Edit: All three fixed in CVS now.

Edited by bluap

Ah, that looks bad. The hightlight should be easy to fix. The overlap more tricky. A bigger window is one option but its already rather big. May be if the title won't fit, it can be but on a line by it's self. That should be doable.

Sorry, misunderstood what you said. Your new numbers fix both issues. Will be in CVS shortly. Thanks. :medieval:

- Screenshots: ctrl+p works fine, but the screenshots are saved in EL_RC2/screenshots, shouldn't the Screenshots folder be in the same place as the chatlog? (not a Vista user, but if they can't write their chatlog to EL folder, I assume the same applies to screenshots).

- Notepad: the Notes.xml file is saved in EL main folder instead of the one where the logs are

I'll take these 2 as they are relevant for what I'm currently working on. Yes, they should both be stored under the config dir. I'll check them shortly.

/edit: Ahhh yes, under Windows the 'configdir' variable never got set (gotta love having things in a million places in the code!). This is now fixed in CVS.

Edited by Torg

I tried talking with this guy

bugy.jpg

(Mortos priest)

He just ignores me :brooding:

Ok now serious I clicked on him many times and even restarted EL but the chat window wouldn't appear. I tried to talk with other NPCs like tutorial, wraith, lasud, some tavern bartenders and they all worked fine so I have no clue what could be wrong.

Do you have the Godless perk by any chance?

Oops yes I checked and noticed that i do have it but i had no idea the chat window wont open at all with godless because at antisocial it does open but without any "talk options"

EDIT: spelling

Edited by Garnoo