Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sywren

Vanity Items bought in store

Alright, this is a bit of a rant, but I'm very annoyed at the moment. I recently won $20 at the EL store at a raffle and chose to spend $15 on a silver tiara. Then a gob went and destroyed it. I realize it was a prize and I didn't spend any money on it, but that doesn't mean I didn't like it any less or that I'm any less annoyed at losing it.

My point is this: vanity items such as tiaras, crowns, and adventurer's caps that require real $ should not be breakable, especially when fighting something that runs little to no risk of killing you. For that matter, they shouldn't even be able to be a db drop. They serve no ingame purpose and shouldn't be subject to the same rules as, say, if I had bought a weapon instead.

Edited by sygon

isn't there a 3 weeks warranty from items bought from shop?

anyway , u got owned :icon13:

Edited by Peach

Well you shouldn't wear an expensive item like that while figthing :icon13: They give no benifits so why even have it on, and you know it runs the risk of breaking.

What's the point of buying them if you can't wear them most of the time anyway? I didn't get it so it could sit around in storage and collect dust.

Guest Raindragon123

Let me first express my sorrow for your loss.

I too am of the mindset that if an item is for VANITY only, and serves no purpose whatsoever in the game, except bragging rights ("someone spent real live dollars for this do-dad"), it should come with some sort of warranty against defects in workmanship...or something...

It is my understanding that some items in the game are immune to breakage, so the coding already exists to add it to these items. $15 seems awful pricy for an exceptionally fragile item (apparently) that serves no other purpose than bragging rights.

On the flipside; these items are designed to give folks an incentive to donate cash to support EL...sure hope you got a "picture" of you wearing it and again, my sympathy for your loss.

Raindragon

What's the point of buying them if you can't wear them most of the time anyway? I didn't get it so it could sit around in storage and collect dust.

You can wear it while you harvest, while you mix, while you explore. Just about the only time you shouldn't wear it is fighting. So if you are a big a/d trainer or pker, you really have no use for the item and why get it at all? But if you aren't there are plenty of other times to wear it.

What would be the point of making it unbreakable just to compensate us all for our own stupidity? (I'm including myself here, i accidently wore a hat while training, thank goodness it realized i had it on before it broke)

Someone spent real live dollars for this do-dad

Not necessarily, I won a bandana in a contest. I bought a hat from a bot for a friend, there are ways to get them without spending cash.

-edit-

I am sorry for your loss, but thats the way the game works

Edited by Enly

I dont think they should be made unbreakable, we all know the risks involved in items breaking during combat ,it sux but we all know it sux .

My point is this: vanity items such as tiaras, crowns, and adventurer's caps that require real $ should not be breakable, especially when fighting something that runs little to no risk of killing you.
ummm, be more careful?

I constantly freak out when I'm testing stuff and notice I have something wrong on. I take it off ASAP... I'm getting better at remembering.

I understand you.

I have broken many excavator capes and fr capes, because I just met something I just had to kill.

And forgot the cape.

Broken picks too, but they are good weapons :icon13:

Normally we have a 3 weeks warranty for weapons from the shop.

That is because it's the proper use of them to fight with them.

The 'vanity' items, on the other hand, are not meant for fighting. It's like taking your Ferrari through a dirt road and complaining that it broke. Ferraris are not meant for dirt roads, for that you have the SUVs.

Similarly, the vanity items are to be worn when you want to show off (while making stuff, harvesting, events, and so on). Going to fight in them does not serve their purpose (who are you going to show off too?).

Similarly, the vanity items are to be worn when you want to show off (while making stuff, harvesting, events, and so on). Going to fight in them does not serve their purpose (who are you going to show off too?).

To the defense of some, it's just plain fun. And that's what a game is about, having fun :P

Some people might want to fight as Rambo with a bandana, etc...

Beaver attacked me and i broke mi nail, plx0rz refund 100$ for it.

I know i shouldnt fight beaver if i was afraid of breaking my nail, but since im crybaby i will at least cry about it on forums :D

mp

Beaver attacked me and i broke mi nail, plx0rz refund 100$ for it.

I degraded titanium long on invasion rat and broke used titanium long on wood sprite :D

Anyways, on topic: sorry for the loss but... you should have known better.

I will join all who claims that you shouldn't have been fighting in tiara. These items are not designed for fighting.

Edited by Kheres

Although I agree he shouldn't have been wearing it for fighting maybe its time to have a look at this again and possibly change it. If the "vanity items" give no added benefit and indeed by wearing it while fighting you are forfitting some benefits (COL, COM, Armour from helms etc) maybe it should be made unbreakable?

The idea I guess is that if you choose to wear it while fighting just to show off thats fine, it won't break but you don't get your 150 extra mana or 150 extra health etc cos as people have mentioned you don't want it collecting dust in Storage and weddings are few and far between these days :D

Just an idea :medieval:

Although I agree he shouldn't have been wearing it for fighting maybe its time to have a look at this again and possibly change it. If the "vanity items" give no added benefit and indeed by wearing it while fighting you are forfitting some benefits (COL, COM, Armour from helms etc) maybe it should be made unbreakable?

The idea I guess is that if you choose to wear it while fighting just to show off thats fine, it won't break but you don't get your 150 extra mana or 150 extra health etc cos as people have mentioned you don't want it collecting dust in Storage and weddings are few and far between these days :D

Just an idea :medieval:

Now you've got a point. By deliberately choosing not to use advantage of CoL/CoM/Dragon helm, it would be nice to be offset by undestructible ability. However, everything can be broken, it would have to be magical to withstand structural damaging. All I can tell is that he had bad luck. You can break clothes/armor/weapons only in combat. Is it really so difficult to avoid combat, while wearing precious jewels?

Is it really so difficult to avoid combat, while wearing precious jewels?

Well that depends... I always wear my sexeh hat cos I love it and this is cool cos I almost never fight. However, from time to time you just need to whack that damn bunny that hops past you... in which case I freak out cos I forgot I've got my hat on. Haven't lost it yet, but still...

My opinion on this still stands that it is a risk you take knowing (but possibly forgetting) that you can lose your gear. If you do, sad for you.

/edit: Damn typos. :-S

Edited by Torg

Although I would like to wear my black bandana while fighting, because hey, who doesn't like to look cool :) I don't because it is breakable. That being said, if it wasn't breakable, I would probably take the loss of not wearing CoL to look fancy :P

:P:P

Sy!! You lost your tiara? Damn, I never saw you wearing it. I bet you looked hot.

I feel your pain. I'm always walking through PL wearing exc cape, and everytime I see Bob the Gob, I have to stop and kick his ass, for old times' sake. That little bastard broke my cape once, now I remember when I click on him, to whip that cape off real fast, as I'm running at him.

I haven't bought any vanity items yet, but I'm hoping to when I get some cash I can spare -- hat, shirt, pants. But they will be my "traveling or doing business in town" clothes - as opposed to my work clothes, my hunting clothes, and my fighting equipment. You gotta pick the right outfits for the right occasions, and not wear the tiaras to battle, unless you are REALLY rich and want everyone to know it.

In my personal opinion, no item should be immune to breakage, but maybe the vanity items could have a lower chance to break then currently to encourage people to wear them longer.