Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
conavar

Tailoring

Not sure if there will be any NPC to buy clothes. If we do that, a lot of people would train tailoring.

Good point. Maybe if the items an NPC would buy would only be 40/50 recc lv+ then there shouldnt be too many people training it if to get to that level is hard and the NPC would only buy maybe for a just about break even price :o

totally agree that a npc of some kind maybe needed, even if its only for finished items at a break even price.

Because the way the levelling systems works lots of items need to be made to advance, and without an outlet for these items even with only 1% of the populace taking up tailoring, then the market soon would become saturated with mid-level items ( wether they be pants/tunics etc).And unlike craft/manu I cant see players wanting more than one of each Tunic shirt and they wont be worn for combat, so there wont be any leaving the game.

Edit: Think of an EL with no manu school, no Trick and where players ever only needed one leather helm... EL would sink under the weight of excess helms lol.

If there is no npc the only way I can see past this ( and it might be the path Ent wants to take) is to increase the rec level for finished items to 60+ ( waits for Molime to throw rocks at him :) ) and to keep the finished product rec level close enough to each other so that they dont need to be made on mass to reach the next item.

The main source of xp could then be from the ingrediants .. from low level dyes to cloths to advanced thread (gold,silver) to advanced cloths (silk, etc), to shirts ( added to advanced and threads to make tunics) etc etc etc.

Edit 2:

and maybe ( and this will cause more people than just Molime to throw rocks at me ) the finished product should give less xp than the Ings or no xp at all , so they are not made on mass just to train and we dont end up with every man and his dog having 10 tunics and mountains of waste on IP

Edited by conavar

I will suggest give keep low exp on starting product and keep the high rec lvl for higher product.

So not many high level product will be there.

Also need 2pp to start the skill. Lowest level product can be made with 2 nexus.

So it is initial investment you need to get started.

-Darky

If we make an NPC, the NPC will only buy non finished products (such as fabric and dyes). The idea is that you should level up making only those items, not level up doing the high level items. This way, the high level items would be made only to sell to other players, and if you make too many of them you'll be cutting your own price.

To make it more elite, some needed things to become a tailor could be sold for platinum coins. Maybe not very expensive, so the Rich Players would not have a real advantage, but just to mark it as a special skill.

Well, I hope I'll fit into the elite 1% players that will become tailors.

Hi all,

Yep, I look forward to this skill as well!!!

In real life I'm somewhat of a tailor (even designed and made my own weddinggown), so I guess I'll enjoy this new skill and I'll try to become one of the best. :):P

See you around some day ...

BethAhabah

Perhaps a Bowl needs to be added for dying the cloth?

My ideas on the recipes:

Blue Dye - 15 blue berries, 5 WE, tool: M&P

i think that should be a bit more

Blue Cloth - 5 blue dye, 1 cloth, tool: loom, needle, bowl

How about you need 100 dye but only use 10 with the coloring.... just i thought, if you collor clothes you always have a bucket full of dye and only a bit is really used to collor the cloths

Yes, there will be a loom. But the thread will still be made the way it is made now, and will still be under crafting, to avoid people making a shitload of tailoring exp in the cotton patch.

There will be no tailoring potion, since tailoring is supposed to be the hardest skill.

Yay looms!

Of course thread stays in crafting, but you *could* still add a spindle that has to be equipped to make it (like m&p for potioning) (yes, I know, it's not necessary - I'm just mentioning it - and besides, have you ever tried to spin cotton just with fingers and a smooth surface (like your thigh)? I have - it's evil hard!!! Nigh on impossible). :P

I didn't mean a potion for tailoring. I meant making dyes would require formulas like potions -- see Rohan's post. :P

And just because I'm a sick, twisted crafts nerd:

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/dyelog/B10633...905/E758556869/

This one mentions copper as a possible mordant for dying cotton -- EL has copper! And I'm assuming, with all that cotton thread, we'll be weaving cotton fabric. :P

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/naturaldyes.html

http://cavemanchemistry.com/oldcave/projects/dye/index.html

Perhaps a Bowl needs to be added for dying the cloth?

My ideas on the recipes:

Blue Dye - 15 blue berries, 5 WE, tool: M&P

i think that should be a bit more

Blue Cloth - 5 blue dye, 1 cloth, tool: loom, needle, bowl

How about you need 100 dye but only use 10 with the coloring.... just i thought, if you collor clothes you always have a bucket full of dye and only a bit is really used to collor the cloths

Then the dye pot would have to be separate tool that has to be made. Like: 100 Blue Dye + 1 Large Bowl = 1 Blue Dye Pot.

Then to dye fabric, it would be 1 Cotton Cloth + 1 Blue Dye Pot = 1 Blue Cloth.* And if I follow you right, the Blue Dye Pot would degrade by subtracting 10 Blue Dye, which you'd have to add back to repair it. That seems way too complicated. I think we can assume that we will use just enough dye to color one cloth or garment per click.

Also, to Rider_of_Rohan -- you shouldn't need a needle for weaving, nor a needle and loom for dyeing.

Threads + loom = cloth.

Cloth/Garment (+ Mordant*) + Dye + Bowl = dyed cloth/garment (*If I get my nerdy way. :P)

X Cloth + Needle + X thread = garment

Three separate pieces of work.

(edited for typos)

Edited by peino

Lead dyes are in hazardous storage and clothes in normal, then tailor walks in between all the time :rolleyes:

Then Entropy also has to add Lead and harvesting it, along with a chance of being poisoned while harvesting or smelting it.

Lead dyes are in hazardous storage and clothes in normal, then tailor walks in between all the time :rolleyes:

Isn't tailoring supposed to be hard? :-P

you can also dye with mercury compounds...

but anyway, engineers are supposed to walk to hazardous storage but as long as you can store product of it in normal sto, you don't have to ever go there...