Eternal Lands Official Forums
bkc56

Getting off IP

This topic came up in the discussion about the #pk command on the main server: how would PKable people get off IP if others decided to camp at the WS docks and kill 'em as they came off the boat? The decision was that you should carry rings, portal room essence, or (if you dropped stuff when you got killed) have a friend bring you something.

Well that won't work on the PK server. Rings won't be available for a while, and there's no way any newer player will have the magic level to use the portal room. It's very possible that newer players could be trapped on IP with no way to get off.

So I'm curious as to what the solution to this will be? How to we prevent newer players from being stuck on IP?

I'd think that would be a novelty that would wear off really quick. I know I wouldn't waste any time PK'ing newbies, the only "prize" is tutorial armor..... frankly I'd rather harvest mullein for a living! :whistle:

It might be worthwhile to move Trik to WSC or elsewhere to avoid that kind of temptation, but I think anyone PK'ing at the docks really needs a life!

Edited by Mugwump

Yes, it's very possible that the PKers will have better things to do than wait for newbs to come to WS. But if they don't? Is it possible to out "run" someone on the docks and get away from them? If the docks are safe, does that just mean the people will get PKed the seconds they step out of the safe zone?

Perhaps we need a way to get from IP to a number of locations. Some way to not always arrive at the same known location where people could be waiting.

The tutorial NPC will heal you if you're under some specific OA. What if he could also teleport you to the portal room if under some given OA? Of course people could simply camp in the portal room and follow you out to a map and then kill you.

Perhaps the tutorial NPC could teleport people under a given OA to any of 4 or 6 different C1 maps (by-pass the portal room). It would at least be harder to follow you to a PK zone and kill you.

While it may be a cheap set of leather armor to a more advanced player, it's the only armor a newb has, or will have for some time. They really don't want to loose it.

And yes, the PK server is suppose to be dangerous, that's the whole point. But I think there needs to be some way for new players to get started on their skills.

Anyway, I'm just thinking "out loud" here, trying to see what other people think.

Edited by bkc56

Tutorial NPC heals you if you are under 17 att (iirc), OA doesnt matter...

I agree that there should be a way to get off IP without being PK'd, and Ent said the that the docks will be safe, which is ok, since then you have quite a few options to go from there, PL has 2 exits and a boat to Tarsengaard(also has quite a few exits), VoTD has 3 exits, and u can also go to DP... more than enough options to shake off a stalker. :whistle: (Btw: by exits i mean ways to get out of the Town area, which will be safe zones)

Edited by St_Arcane

Ent said the that the docks will be safe, which is ok, since then you have quite a few options to go from there...
Ahh, I may have mis-read what Entropy ment. I read "docks" as the WS docks (only). But if it's ALL docks, then yes, it would be possible to move about and get to some larger safe-zones (like inside the VotD city). That woud solve the problem of newbs (and anyone) being able to shake a stalker.

If Entropy did mean all docks, then problem solved. :whistle:

First - a group of newbies may go together and try to get through. Some of them will be PKed, some will get further.

Second - if the docks are a safe zone, then it will be easier to get out and dodge PKers. At least you'll be able to go from boat to boat safely. And Portland docks are within the city.

But remember - there always is a risk in getting to new territories. We could also have sometimes (very rare) trips that end in the hell - due to some storm and the ship sinking!

Heh, just a thought.

Regards

Chryzopraz

Edited by Chryzopraz

would an newb realy pay 5$ on pk server..maby he doesnt even like the game, hes going to main server first anyways

would an newb realy pay 5$ on pk server..maby he doesnt even like the game, hes going to main server first anyways

Define newb?

It could be a complete newb, or just someone who has been playing for a while now but isn't much of a fighter. When it comes to newb, my stats are gold (30's a/d after 2.5 years).

I see this as a potential problem not from the "normal" PKer's, but from the lower level PKer's who are starting out and don't want too much of a challenge. They are unlikely to get so bored if they are PKing people around the same level, and thus I think the idea of all docks being safe is a good one as that should allow people to actually get into the game.

Since Entropy said docks will be safe( which is logical coz its part of the city somehow) i think problem is solved :whistle:

mp

Edited by masterpiter

When I was talking about "new players" or newbs, I didn't mean new to EL, I mean new to the PK server and therefore having very low stats (easily killed by players who have had a few days/weeks of play time).

Even the most advanced players will be newbs on the PK server until they have time to develop.

But as I said above, if all the docks are safe (and some docks are within city limits) this problem is solved.

I might be flogging a dead horse here, but honestly.... who of all of us will waste their time even near the docks waiting to pwn players that do not provide a challenge?

Show me some hands, you lazy PK freaks! Let's see a count of time wasters who would do that!

You already know the rest of us are going to pound you to piles of pickles with the levels we earned from not hanging around the docks! There is no good reason to waste time picking on newbies unless you intend to be picked on yourself!

Grumphfff.... :)

Edit: Scarr, I mean "newbies" as all of us on our first visit to the mainland. I'm assuming we begin the PK server as we first logged into EL. No matter what we already know, we still will be "newbies," levelless maggots poking at each other with bones and branches.... That's my point, why bother? Get some EXP first.

Edited by Mugwump

I might be flogging a dead horse here, but honestly.... who of all of us will waste their time even near the docks waiting to pwn players that do not provide a challenge?

Show me some hands, you lazy PK freaks! Let's see a count of time wasters who would do that!

You already know the rest of us are going to pound you to piles of pickles with the levels we earned from not hanging around the docks! There is no good reason to waste time picking on newbies unless you intend to be picked on yourself!

Grumphfff.... :)

Edit: Scarr, I mean "newbies" as all of us on our first visit to the mainland. I'm assuming we begin the PK server as we first logged into EL. No matter what we already know, we still will be "newbies," levelless maggots poking at each other with bones and branches.... That's my point, why bother? Get some EXP first.

Well on games that have safe zones bordering a pk area (large not an arena) there are packs of people

either waiting all day for someone to step out of the safe area or pking on the border between the safe

area and pk zone.

Never underestimate a mmorpg player's ability to waste time :)

Yup, and u can always wait for ppl who wait for newbies.

Was same when there was a lot of ants on kf, ppl came to kill them, some stronger players came to kill those ppl who killed ants and those had some nice drops so u could just w8 and missclick in the right moment even if u didnt kill any ants :)

mp

Some people will wait at the boat anyway if there is a small chance to kill someone with nice armor. Even if that chance is very small. Imo whole WS should be safe so you can go to a storage and have lots of entrances to other maps. There are no real spawns to train on on the outside map of WS so there is no problem.

Imo whole WS should be safe so you can go to a storage and have lots of entrances to other maps. There are no real spawns to train on on the outside map of WS so there is no problem.
I think this is overkill (especially for a PK server). If all the docks are safe, it's easy to get from WS to PL or VotD that both have a storage within the city limits (which is also safe). You can get to several maps and at least two storage locations just traveling by boats and within safe city limits.

How about the town of Lakeside including the docks be kept safe?

Also I do recall some invasions, Giants in Idaloran Cemetery where we were all pinned in the Underworld. If we rushed the door at once, some players would make it out. In this case, the only thing of any value to leave IP is the Newbie armor. There really isn't any reason to bring valuables there just to leave again with them.

How about the town of Lakeside including the docks be kept safe?

Also I do recall some invasions, Giants in Idaloran Cemetery where we were all pinned in the Underworld. If we rushed the door at once, some players would make it out. In this case, the only thing of any value to leave IP is the Newbie armor. There really isn't any reason to bring valuables there just to leave again with them.

Why couldn't the safe area called "docks" include Seridia too? :P

There really isn't any reason to bring valuables there [iP] just to leave again with them.
Sure there is, lots of them. But perhaps I'll keep that information to myself as it might create a small strategic advantage for me on the PK server. :rolleyes: